Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh look Sheryl and/or Ranka got kidnapped.
AGAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

Oh look Sheryl and/or Ranka got kidnapped.
AGAIN
They have got to be the most kidnapped heroines in anime history and that's really saying something.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

yeah it's kinda weird how consistent they've been with including Frontier but not doing anything interesting with it for most of this past decade
Considering how EVOL turned out in SRW, I wonder if Kawamori has a whole bunch of pull or something.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

drrockso20 posted:

they could just not use VA's for a lot of them, they'd probably save a fair bit of money if they dropped voice acting from the games anyways, and this doesn't excuse this also happening in Portable games that usually don't have any voice acting in them

Authentic voice acting has been a selling point since all the way back in F. It's not going away.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

maou shoujo posted:

Authentic voice acting has been a selling point since all the way back in F. It's not going away.

if the costs of making these games keeps going up then I wouldn't be surprised if they did quietly phase it out(assuming they don't just stop making them that is)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rascyc posted:

I'll take literally anything to get Macross Frontier the gently caress out of here already. I say this as the thread's greatest Macross Frontier fan but even I have hit my goddamn limit.

AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMOOOOOOOOOO AIIIIIIIIIIMOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I actually like Macross Frontier a fair bit and SRW has tried its level best to make me hate it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've only just started SRWUX, but can someone give me a preview of what it does with Frontier?

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
It follows the two movies as opposed to the tv series.
Which is mostly the same as the tv series + some new stuff from the second movie.
On the other hand, you do get the attack for the Macross Quarter where it summons the other Macross Quarters + Isamu Dyson for an attack :V

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

maou shoujo posted:

drrockso20 posted:

if the costs of making these games keeps going up then I wouldn't be surprised if they did quietly phase it out(assuming they don't just stop making them that is)
The last time I've seen a series regress in presentation features is probably when Megaman X5 went into static storytelling over X4's Anime cutscenes.

I think it's more likely they'll just go into extreme Stock Footage mode over removing voices entirely if they can. Or yes, canning the series entirely if they ever have 1 or 2 high profile complete bombs.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is voice acting really that expensive? I was under the impression that if the VA is still alive and active, it's actually not that hard to get them to come in for lines which means there's even less incentive to ever remove that feature.

The only thing I can see getting away with no VA is perhaps if they made a full-fledged SRW game on Mobiles (as opposed to Mobage - not out of the question, for example, Square did make Final Fantasy Dimensions for mobile devices)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They'll just get the guy who voices Heero to voice every character for free.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MG42 posted:

On the other hand, you do get the attack for the Macross Quarter where it summons the other Macross Quarters + Isamu Dyson for an attack :V
Z3-2 has that too.

edit: who does Alto end up with anyway? The song is "the end of triangle" so I assumed he finally decided on someone.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 4, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Z3-2 has that too.

edit: who does Alto end up with anyway? The song is "the end of triangle" so I assumed he finally decided on someone.

He picks Sheryl but then dies and Sheryl gets put into a coma or something like that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

He picks Sheryl but then dies and Sheryl gets put into a coma or something like that.
So basically something as stupid as the end of Mass Effect 3.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Samurai Sanders posted:

Z3-2 has that too.

In Z3-2 you get to choose!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

Z3-2 has that too.

Even in the original series he pretty clearly picks Sheryl and Ranka is left going "I'm going to keep trying!" while looking sad about it. Macross F was less of a love triangle and more of a two lovers and a third wheel who the lovers care about like a little sister sort of setup.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, why are composition movies with alt endings so lovely recently

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

He didn't necessarily die he just warped off the planet with the Vajra queen. Possibly dead but no guarantees. That said I liked the Frontier movies overall better than the show.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
For some reason I keep thinking this as a "And then Hikaru disappeared forever no questions about him in future Macross works please" thing except with Alto instead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone know how many kills does a character get if they're on the branch you didn't pick for z2? I want to play the space route, but Zero needs to get aced for the IF route and he's on the Gurren Lagann path.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

macross frontier would have been better if sheryl and ranka had gotten married and told alto to gently caress off

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tae posted:

Does anyone know how many kills does a character get if they're on the branch you didn't pick for z2? I want to play the space route, but Zero needs to get aced for the IF route and he's on the Gurren Lagann path.

One per chapter, I think. It's one level, one kill, and... I think 10 PP?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
macross frontier would have been better if ranka didn't exist

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Rascyc posted:

macross frontier would have been better if ranka didn't exist

I didn't know Mikage browsed the forums... :haw:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Rascyc posted:

macross frontier would have been better if alto didn't exist

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is true

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

drrockso20 posted:

I'd bet on animation taking a severe hit over losing voice acting.

But if a SRW seriously bombs they're more likely to just stop making them, yeah.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Brunom1 posted:

I didn't know Kawamori browsed the forums... :haw:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rascyc posted:

I think that Virtual On stuff in Alpha-3 was the weirdest one off. It did get a plot in what, SRW K? Hell if I could tell what was going on with that plot though.

The worst part was that the K version of Virtual On would have been easily the 2nd or 3rd most half-assed series inclusion if it wasn't for the Alpha 3 version. They ignored like 80% of the story and 95% of the units (Marz has like 40 different grunt units and K only had you fight the same 1 over and over). It just boiled down to 2 or 3 boss fights and one really boring swarm of the same grunt with no rhyme or reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Broken Loose posted:

The worst part was that the K version of Virtual On would have been easily the 2nd or 3rd most half-assed series inclusion if it wasn't for the Alpha 3 version. They ignored like 80% of the story and 95% of the units (Marz has like 40 different grunt units and K only had you fight the same 1 over and over). It just boiled down to 2 or 3 boss fights and one really boring swarm of the same grunt with no rhyme or reason.

my guess is that Virtual On was a last minute addition to K's roster

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

Wow, why are composition movies with alt endings so lovely recently

It's actually almost entirely original footage and it does its own thing separate from the tv series.

It's cool.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Having Three Kingdoms characters in a SRW game is even weirder than I thought it would be.

edit: at one point one of the characters says "we tested them and they're human, they just look like Gundams". Uh...that's kind of strange.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 6, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
J is a lot of fun... I really wish they'd translate more of these games so I'd know more about what's going on. The Bellezute is also OP as gently caress...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I was kinda hoping the move to PS4 would let Bandai Namco at least attempt translating the next OGS to Steam, considering they're porting everything else to English speakers these days.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Have they translated anything with near the amount of text as your average SRW?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Does Project X Zone count? :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Having Three Kingdoms characters in a SRW game is even weirder than I thought it would be.

edit: at one point one of the characters says "we tested them and they're human, they just look like Gundams". Uh...that's kind of strange.

Setsuna doesn't understand what is strange about that.

Hokuto posted:

Does Project X Zone count? :v:

PXZ actually has way less text, doesn't it?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh my god. That's so awful & so great. It's like they're loving daring you to overthink it.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Those little guys ended up being my favourite characters of the thing.

I'm pretty sad they didn't come back in BX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They came back in spirit since we're still getting SD Gundams. Though now I want the original SD Gundam shorts in a game that also has 0079.

• Locked thread