Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Evilreaver posted:

I might want to do that DLC in the future. Is any of that plot-important to a DLC or mission-critical or background fluff? I don't know, all I know is I got a ton of stuff that obviates the 'caveman mode' part of the game plus five different mission start popups in a row. Completely turned off my enthusiasm for a run. Just dropping it means (a) coming back for it if it's handy, important or very powerful and (b) I'm intentionally passing up gear on a non-challenge run, which is always a no-no in a game where one of the core ideas is 'vacuum up everything in the wasteland for your collection'.

By the time you get around to the DLC, most of the gear you get for from the Courier's Stash is obsolete anyway. And the game is perfectly viable without all that equipment, since Courier's Stash itself was DLC that was added later on as a bonus.

If you're feeling brave, go through Primm Pass so you can make a beeline to Novac (and player housing). :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kaubocks posted:

it's me

I like the borderlands games

I do too. Sorry dudes I'm too mainstream.

mycot has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Aug 6, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

it's me

I liked BL2 a lot but it makes so many stupid choices.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
BL2 is pretty fun if you use cheatengine to up legendary drop rates to something like Diablo 3 levels. I forget if it also lets you get skill points, but getting enough to reach tier 2 skills right away would make it more engaging too.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I actually liked a lot of the writing and dumb jokes from BL2, and the game is mostly tolerable. It does make some really, really dumb decisions though.

I got like 30 minutes into the Pre-Sequel and had to refund it, though.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

it's me

Ditto, unironically.

I find them fun to play. The higher difficulties suck because of the weird scaling of enemies but whatever.

There are things I like about that game that other games don't do as well and the things that suck about that game I'm willing to deal with over things that suck in other games. :shrug:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I like Borderlands, until it gets to the UVHM point or whatever. Its not, "this game is more challenging", its "this game is now tedious"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dang ok jeez, sorry guys, 10 posts later I better change my opinion to Borderlands being cool and good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I wouldn't say I really liked Borderlands 2 when I played it, but it was a perfectly okay game that I enjoyed playing at the time and could certainly see the appeal in playing more of. I didn't play any of the DLC or the Pre-Sequel because BL2 itself seemed like it ended at exactly the point when I was thinking 'yeah, this is enough for me'. In that respect I quite like BL2, it wasn't disappointingly short or annoyingly long. A perfect length for what it was. It didn't really leave me wanting more though, especially in any immediate capacity, which is probably a failure on their part judging by their DLC structure.

The thing I didn't like about BL2 was that my character of choice, Zer0, was a little jerked around by the gameplay. At any given point the game's really well-suited for either his stealthy melee build or his sniper build, but never is it structured in a way that both of those are really useful, and you won't find out which one the current situation calls for until you're already there. So Zer0 either has to know beforehand what sort of challenge the next area is, be willing to backtrack to go respec if he's brought a knife to a gunfight (you might not even be able to do this sometimes), muscle through with a build unsuited for the situation, or make a balanced build that struggles to reach the cool toys on either side of the skill tree.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jastiger posted:

Dang ok jeez, sorry guys, 10 posts later I better change my opinion to Borderlands being cool and good.

Sweet.

You what I really hate in boss fights? Attacks that are slow and boring and pretty much have no chance of actually hitting you, but you still have to waste time dodging.

Bringing up an example from something I've played recently: Freedom Planet actually tries to have the boss fights mix things up as much as a 2D platformer can - like a boss that attacks in midair while freezing the ground, or one that has an attack that'll completely chew you up if you're right above him (like if you're just jumping over his other attacks). But one of the last bosses spends most of the fight shooting these slow moving stars at you, and you have to wait for him to fire like 3 waves of these before he'll do the obligatory weak spot exposing move, and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

BuddyChrist posted:

Ditto, unironically.

I find them fun to play. The higher difficulties suck because of the weird scaling of enemies but whatever.

There are things I like about that game that other games don't do as well and the things that suck about that game I'm willing to deal with over things that suck in other games. :shrug:

This is a thread specifically for people to say "I don't like thing" in

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Some recent posts inspired me to play through Lords of the Fallen. While there are a lot of problems with the game, one stands out to me as particularly egregious:

LotF has an experience system that works on a basis of risk/reward. As you kill enemies you'll raise your experience multiplier gradually, and also have a limited amount of potions you can carry which can only be refilled at a save point. Save points are all over the place, but using one of them resets your experience multiplier, so you're incentivized to ignore them and go through as much of the game as you can manage before saving as a last resort. The first spell you get (at least as the default warrior/power magic user) is called Prayer, and spawns a decoy which stays motionless and distracts enemies while also gradually healing you when you stand close to it. The rate of healing is really slow, and the spell also uses up over half of your magic meter, which also refills really slowly.

What this means is that you'll never want to actually use your potions unless you're immediately about to die in the middle of combat. Instead you'll go through any given fight never using them while taking a few hits, then when all the enemies are dead you spawn your Prayer decoy and stand next to it for about 30 seconds while it slowly regenerates about 1/3 of your health bar. Then you wait for your magic to slowly regenerate again, then cast the decoy and wait another 30 seconds for another 1/3 of your health bar. You do this after just about every fight, and it's one of the most inadvertently tedious mechanics I've ever seen in a game. Unless you're really careful to never take hits from common enemies, you'll be standing still for 1-2 minutes after every single fight doing absolutely nothing.

e: As another small thing, I'm constantly pulling levers and having no idea what they actually do. Probably happened about five times so far, I'm guessing there are secret doors opening off in the distance or something.

I recently played through the game and inspired your post probably, and I never EVER used the magic healie thingie. That is so mind numbingly dull, you could have probably gone back and healed in the time it took your slow as hell magic meter to regen and your HP to regen. I would have quit the game even earlier than i originally did if I had done that.

So stop it, that isn't how it is meant to be played and isn't really necessary.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cleretic posted:

The thing I didn't like about BL2 was that my character of choice, Zer0, was a little jerked around by the gameplay. At any given point the game's really well-suited for either his stealthy melee build or his sniper build, but never is it structured in a way that both of those are really useful, and you won't find out which one the current situation calls for until you're already there. So Zer0 either has to know beforehand what sort of challenge the next area is, be willing to backtrack to go respec if he's brought a knife to a gunfight (you might not even be able to do this sometimes), muscle through with a build unsuited for the situation, or make a balanced build that struggles to reach the cool toys on either side of the skill tree.

Yeah, I probably would have enjoyed BL2 more if Zer0 hadn't been my first character. He was fine during the first campaign, but I wasn't really specialized into any of his good builds and that made TVHM much less fun. Also you start to need the perfectly leveled guns rather than the ones you actually have fun with at that point, and you know gently caress that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LOL if you play games for any other reason than to hone your logical reasoning and twitch coordination.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had a lot of fun with BL2 (more so after cheat engining the drop rate to something reasonable), but holy gently caress was the Pre-Sequel bad about backtracking. I was enjoying the new gameplay elements and the story stuff; but I quit a few hours in after some annoying preteen with either a bad accent or a stroke sent me back and forth all over the same ship at least three times.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I think I'd like borderlands more if I didn't hate ARPGs with a visceral passion. Turning an ARPG into a FPS doesn't change the underlying gameplay, and the underlying gameplay is terrible. The loot's terrible, the weapons are terrible, the enemies are terrible. gently caress health bars and gigantic pools of hitpoints ballooning into ridiculous numbers.

If enemies went from 100HP to 1000 HP over the course of the game it might be better, but even that's super lame.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jastiger posted:

I recently played through the game and inspired your post probably, and I never EVER used the magic healie thingie. That is so mind numbingly dull, you could have probably gone back and healed in the time it took your slow as hell magic meter to regen and your HP to regen. I would have quit the game even earlier than i originally did if I had done that.

So stop it, that isn't how it is meant to be played and isn't really necessary.

Yeah I've given up on it at this point. The multiplier doesn't advance fast enough for it to be worthwhile unless you could get it up to around 2x which generally won't happen. Also I've gone a long time without finding any weapon which does more damage than My Axe, so banking the extra experience seems kind of pointless anyway since it will just get dumped into endurance and strength to add minimal bonuses. It just seems like such an obvious exploit to miss from a game design perspective, but I suppose there's a lot of that in this game. Just cleared out the DLC area except for the endboss ayway, so I'm presumably close to the end of the game and the times I used the exploit haven't seemed to be worth it. Really there are just a lot of problems with the game and that seemed like one of the most clear examples to bring up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ElGroucho posted:

I like Borderlands, until it gets to the UVHM point or whatever. Its not, "this game is more challenging", its "this game is now tedious"

Agreed. A harder difficulty that simply consists of more enemies that eat damage like tic tacs is not a good system. A good difficulty system is one that scales up the enemy AI

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah I've given up on it at this point. The multiplier doesn't advance fast enough for it to be worthwhile unless you could get it up to around 2x which generally won't happen. Also I've gone a long time without finding any weapon which does more damage than My Axe, so banking the extra experience seems kind of pointless anyway since it will just get dumped into endurance and strength to add minimal bonuses. It just seems like such an obvious exploit to miss from a game design perspective, but I suppose there's a lot of that in this game. Just cleared out the DLC area except for the endboss ayway, so I'm presumably close to the end of the game and the times I used the exploit haven't seemed to be worth it. Really there are just a lot of problems with the game and that seemed like one of the most clear examples to bring up.

I was actually convinced by folk in this thread to pick it back up. The stat bonuses are useful and you almost HAVE to use runes. I put in two poison runes in Scab and it trivialized most boss fights for me. It was like Teemo's poison shot, it did more damage through the poison DOT than me actually hitting them did. Was pretty awesome, really.

But yeah the game on the whole is probably a C, C-

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

Agreed. A harder difficulty that simply consists of more enemies that eat damage like tic tacs is not a good system. A good difficulty system is one that scales up the enemy AI

The first new game + difficulty was kind of interesting, because in addition to increasing the enemy health, it also exagerrated the bonuses/penalties that elemental damage got to health types. Something like using electricity on shields went from +20% to +50%, but using fire on them went from -20% to -50%. That's kind of cool, it makes it so that you really have to match your gun to the enemy and all that.

Ultimate Vault Hunter added so much health and made it so that you needed to have one player keep the target slagged (the status effect that added bonus damage to everything) while everyone else just magdumped into it with whatever. And forget about trying to solo anything, even a basic enemy was a drat tank.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jastiger posted:

I was actually convinced by folk in this thread to pick it back up. The stat bonuses are useful and you almost HAVE to use runes. I put in two poison runes in Scab and it trivialized most boss fights for me. It was like Teemo's poison shot, it did more damage through the poison DOT than me actually hitting them did. Was pretty awesome, really.

But yeah the game on the whole is probably a C, C-

Poison and luck runes basically break the game they're so good.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jastiger posted:

On that note, another thing bringing the game down is referring to putting runes in sockets as "crafting," and having no option to convert useless runes into experience or something similar. I've been using luck runes in my weapon since it showed the highest sheet damage increase, but I'll try the poison ones and see if that ends up being better overall since the text doesn't actually explain anything other than a generic statement that it causes a DoT debuff. A lot of descriptions are useless in that sense, as yet another complaint about the game. Especially the trinkets.

That's probably enough complaining about an old, subpar Dark Souls ripoff. Almost every aspect of the game has something about it that's at least a bit off.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
People who like [game] are dumb. Wait, no, people who don't like [game] are dumb.

Anyway, I keep starting JRPGs, and then dropping them because the absolute worst convention of the genre is random encounters with no way to avoid them. Earthbound, Pokemon, and Bravely Default are the only ones I've seen that acknowledge how loving tedious it can be to try and get back to a town only to stop every five seconds and hit 'Run'.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Aug 6, 2015

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

PubicMice posted:

People who like [game] are dumb. Wait, no, people who don't like [game] are dumb.

Anyway, I keep starting JRPGs, and then dropping them because the absolute worst convention of the genre is random encounters with no way to avoid them. Earthbound, Pokemon, and Bravely Default are the only ones I've seen that acknowledge how loving tedious it can be to try and get back to a town only to stop every five seconds and hit 'Run'.

FFX nsgnsnoncnne

some people enjoy tedium in their jrpgs

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

This why I never completed any Final Fantasy game except 7. I've rage quit so many times on ridiculous poo poo. I just want to get out of this loving cave, I don't need the XP or gold, just let me out you loving game

*Unskippable pre-fight animation starts*

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Final Fantasy X is great because of the no encounters ability you can equip, granted you only get it in the late game. Ni No Kuni also had a system where you could see the random encounters on a map and avoid them usually and when you were over-levelled for an area the encounters would run away from you so you didn't have to evade them.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I was unaware that JRPGs without Repel-equivalent items were still getting made after about 1997.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

Final Fantasy X is great because of the no encounters ability you can equip, granted you only get it in the late game. Ni No Kuni also had a system where you could see the random encounters on a map and avoid them usually and when you were over-levelled for an area the encounters would run away from you so you didn't have to evade them.

FFVIII did it too before FFX and I don't think FFVIII was even the first FF to have a no-encounter item.

Heavy Lobster posted:

I was unaware that JRPGs without Repel-equivalent items were still getting made after about 1997.

Oh they definitely are and its loving stupid, but yeah most RPGs have at least learned that much.

Oh hey speaking of RPGs...

Why the gently caress aren't there any more RPGs that do it like Chrono Trigger where you actually fight on the overworld?

I get that on the NES that kinda stuff was literally impossible so you do what you can, but then everybody just kinda fell in love with that whole DUN NA NA NAAAA ~transition to other screen for fighting~ thing.

Its just so stupid. Even FFXIII does it even though they have 3D models for battle screens of practically every zone, why not just fight on the overworld map? Everybody's convinced that's how you have to do RPGs and I hate it.

The only game that comes to mind other than Chrono Trigger was Final Fantasy XII, but XII had a vaguely MMO-ish feel to it coming from XI.

First, can anybody reccomend any other RPGs that actually have you fight on the overworld? Also and/or RPGs where you don't have random encounters but instead you see enemies on the overworld and if you hit them you fight them, if you don't you don't? That's so much better than random.

And second are there any RPGs that do the dual-hero attacks like in chrono trigger? Where two people can wait and then take a turn together to kick tons of rear end?

Seems like most RPGs are based on Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior and I'd rather see more like Chrono Trigger. (Not even talking about CT's story here, just mechanics)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lufia II kind of went in that direction. It had a separate battle screen of the simplest kind and random encounters on the world map, but in dungeons you could see enemies walking around and avoid them. You even got some items to interact with them (like an arrow that'd stun them so you could sneak past) and there were a few puzzles that revolved around luring them onto switches and such.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

FFVIII did it too before FFX and I don't think FFVIII was even the first FF to have a no-encounter item.

Oh for sure I just mentioned it because the previous poster had!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Blue Dragon had a neat system where you could see enemies on the world map, and if you managed to get into a fight with certain species at the same time they'd fight, or one would eat the other, or they'd fight against you more effectively.

Then it only gets used like twice, but it's the thought that counts.

Speaking of which, thing dragging that game down: Marumaro, gently caress your stupid voice.

And to go back to Borderlands: Tiny Tina, gently caress your stupid voice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PubicMice posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_(series)

Holy Bottles repel encounters but every fight that isn't a boss is represented on the overworld so you can run around them most of the time if you want.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lichdom: Battlemage is a weird, stupid game but I keep playing it.

You play a mage and your crafting is making new spells. You have a ton of flexibility but the game doesn't tell you what the terms mean in a useful way.
I had Necromancer spell that shot dark energy and bones and did a lot if damage. I tried to craft an upgraded version but then it did no damage but put a symbol above the hit enemy's head. I don't know what that symbol means.

There is a deep magic system that I feel could be abuse to making the game abuse cakewalk but the system is so obtuse, I'm just making spells and praying they work.

OH! It's a linear FPS magic game but if you don't have the right runes, bosses are nearly impossible. You have to grind. In an FPS. Wtf.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I recall Xenosaga having overworld enemies. Pretty good game but nowadays PS2 looks like a poop sandwich.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Earthbound did the same thing now that I think about it, you still had a battle screen (ugh) but at least you saw enemies on the overworld screen and there was no random encounters.

I really like how earthbound lets you automatically win and skip fights that you would just absolutely destroy.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

Lichdom: Battlemage is a weird, stupid game but I keep playing it.

You play a mage and your crafting is making new spells. You have a ton of flexibility but the game doesn't tell you what the terms mean in a useful way.
I had Necromancer spell that shot dark energy and bones and did a lot if damage. I tried to craft an upgraded version but then it did no damage but put a symbol above the hit enemy's head. I don't know what that symbol means.

There is a deep magic system that I feel could be abuse to making the game abuse cakewalk but the system is so obtuse, I'm just making spells and praying they work.

OH! It's a linear FPS magic game but if you don't have the right runes, bosses are nearly impossible. You have to grind. In an FPS. Wtf.

I don't normally read a post and go buy the game but today's an exception. What drags it down for me is the 10 gig game file download

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh hey speaking of RPGs...

Why the gently caress aren't there any more RPGs that do it like Chrono Trigger where you actually fight on the overworld?

They don't wanna have to account for the level architecture. I remember Chrono Trigger doing a good job of this but that was in 2D, so making it not look hosed up was somewhat simpler. Plus it just takes more time and therefore money to hand-design encounters like that. Chrono Trigger had a lot of care lavished on it. They were tryin to make a blockbuster and just blow people away, it's a pretty different approach than the grindy mobile RPGs that have become the norm since then.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry 4:
It's really annoying to have to defend an outpost every single time you fast travel to it. It's so annoying I just only spawn at the one outpost with a gyrocopter and just take that anywhere I need to go. Even if it's clear across the map. That is if I can reach the gyrocopter without being killed by a Golden Eagle.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Far Cry 4:
It's really annoying to have to defend an outpost every single time you fast travel to it. It's so annoying I just only spawn at the one outpost with a gyrocopter and just take that anywhere I need to go. Even if it's clear across the map. That is if I can reach the gyrocopter without being killed by a Golden Eagle.

You can capture the castle in the area to prevent the enemy from attacking your outposts but you are correct, it is an incredibly dumb mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
you can just ignore the outpost defense with no consequences