Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

You have uke and tori backward

Ugh, thought I might. I learned it backwards and have not been able to shake it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
With the latest round of Benson Henderson Sucks & Is Boring discussion, I'm reminded of old references to Hendo as "Decision Dan". What fights in particular did that refer to?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Ditch posted:

With the latest round of Benson Henderson Sucks & Is Boring discussion, I'm reminded of old references to Hendo as "Decision Dan". What fights in particular did that refer to?

Carlos Newton, Big Nog, maybe Babalu, Ninja, Yuki Kondo, Busta

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Carlos Newton, Big Nog, maybe Babalu, Ninja, Yuki Kondo, Busta

The RINGS tournament was where it really started, and it persisted through PRIDE despite most of those decisions being relatively reasonable (and him getting hosed way worse on the Arona decision than any of the ones that went his way)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
RINGS was consistently hosed up and nonsensical throughout, I'd love to know what their scoring criteria were exactly

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

RINGS was consistently hosed up and nonsensical throughout, I'd love to know what their scoring criteria were exactly

I remember at the time hearing that literally the only scoring criteria was "attempts to finish" (which was supposedly why Fedor won against Arona, his three or four guillotine attempts while Arona spent the entire match sitting on him) but I'm not sure if that was actually the case or just wishful thinking/post facto justification from weeaboo mma.tv posters

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Purple is a little crazy. I never got past a blue belt and I don't think I've ever missed a set up watching MMA. might be a bit different in the cage than when you're sinking beers on the couch.

Maybe not purple, but whatever it is above white. He just wants refs to have a working knowledge of BJJ and some experience with grappling.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The concept of legit world-class MMA fights taking place in a promotion alongside clearly worked (albeit well-executed shoot-style) wrestling matches in 1999 is still hard to believe. Ah, Japan.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

red19fire posted:

Maybe not purple, but whatever it is above white.
Blue, yeah that sounds way more workable.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Marc Goddard has won British BBJ comps which is cool

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/18/8621013/ufc-ref-marc-goddard-wins-double-gold-british-bjj-open

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Big John is a black belt, as are both Yamasakis and I believe Herb Dean.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

fatherdog posted:

Which is surprising considering how quickly the Yamasakis stand non-Brazilian fighters up from guard

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yuriy posted:

Which is surprising considering how quickly the Yamasakis stand non-Brazilian fighters up from guard

Maybe they are too good at BJJ and Mario is thinking, "Well I would have passed guard and submitted him by now. Nothing must be happening. UP!"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Maybe they are too good at BJJ and Mario is thinking, "Well I would have passed guard and submitted him by now. Nothing must be happening. UP!"

Haha I hope that's it, "No you idiot it's twist then push not push then twist".

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I've heard Mario is pretty high level. He owns a bunch of bjj schools around the world.

Also herb dean has had 5 pro fights and iirc didn't have them until after he started reffing because he wanted to get a better perspective.

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 7, 2015

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I'm guessing Mazzagatti has something because he runs his own academy of something, but he fucks it up quite a bit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Ugh, thought I might. I learned it backwards and have not been able to shake it.

I originally started Judo when I was like 7, and my dad was the sensei, so all of the basic vocabulary is as natural as English to me. Funny thing is I can't remember the Japanese names for ne waza aside from ude garami, and I think that's in part because they didn't start teaching them til we were teenagers, and since I had moved to a different sensei, I wasn't having someone randomly say them to me at all times of the day.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's a few gyms doing free intro to BJJ classes in Dublin and I want to give one of them a try. Is there anything in particular I should know before my first class?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

There's a few gyms doing free intro to BJJ classes in Dublin and I want to give one of them a try. Is there anything in particular I should know before my first class?

Read the grappling thread and the martial arts thread in Ask/Tell where this question gets asked frequently:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Cut your nails (hands and feet)
Make sure you don't smell
Just listen to what they tell you and don't be afraid to ask questions

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Dangersim posted:

Your cardio isn't ready. This is ok.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Read the grappling thread and the martial arts thread in Ask/Tell where this question gets asked frequently:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544

Ah I am so dumb I did not even think of there being separate threads for it! Thanks for the links!

Dangersim posted:

Awesome I'll make sure to do all of that, thanks!

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Your cardio isn't ready. This is ok.

Yeah you might not make it through the whole warmup but that's ok. You don't have to be in shape for bjj, bjj will get you in shape.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am not overly worried about cardio, I think I'll be fine. Though that is probably the exact same thing everyone says! I have been fencing a long time and train for 2 hours 3 or 4 nights a week and it is very cardio intensive, I also swim a mile at least once usually twice a week. I used to do boxing training to work on my fitness too so I am kinda familiar with intense cardio. That said I have no idea what BJJ warm up is like, so I may well die. My main worry is that I won't have any physical strength accept for the fingers in my weapon hand, and any movements that are similar to fencing ones. Which I expect there are none of.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Sore abs coming up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

EmmyOk posted:

I am not overly worried about cardio, I think I'll be fine. Though that is probably the exact same thing everyone says! I have been fencing a long time and train for 2 hours 3 or 4 nights a week and it is very cardio intensive, I also swim a mile at least once usually twice a week. I used to do boxing training to work on my fitness too so I am kinda familiar with intense cardio. That said I have no idea what BJJ warm up is like, so I may well die. My main worry is that I won't have any physical strength accept for the fingers in my weapon hand, and any movements that are similar to fencing ones. Which I expect there are none of.

Hey fencing bro! Yeah, fencing is insanely cardio intensive but the tricky thing with BJJ is how you use muscles you didn't know existed to do front rolls and stuff. Let's migrate to the BJJ thread where people with more than three months BJJ experience can give you way better advice.

But having done general MMA for about a year a while back, I can attest the warm ups are loving brutal. Like...vomit inducing depending on the gym.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

EmmyOk posted:

It's good to know how to move your body, that can help you a lot when doing techniques. Just listen to the instructors and take it easy. Also doing grappling is probably the most energy intensive thing you can do, at least until you learn how to pace yourself.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

EmmyOk posted:

you'll probably still get really tired very fast but if you're used to that then at least mentally you'll be OK. I think people who haven't physically pushed themselves (or haven't in a long time) get really distressed at how that feels.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Just saw a video clip where Ronda Rousey is in a grappling session with a male fighter and getting clearly dominated.

Why is this so? As one of the top elite judo practitioners in the world, shouldn't she have been able to neutralize the size difference? Isn't that what judo is all about? Using the opponent's weight against them?

If she fought someone smaller (like Demetrius Johnson), would she be able to hold her own? Or is it just the male advantage? I'm doubly confused as I've also seen a video of a really small Asian guy able to armbar a fighter who was waaaay bigger than him.

Basically what I'm asking is- if cross-gender bout was allowed, which weight class could Ronda find some success in?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Muttonchips posted:

Just saw a video clip where Ronda Rousey is in a grappling session with a male fighter and getting clearly dominated.

Why is this so?

Because it's Gegard Mousasi, who fights at middleweight, and therefore would obviously dominate anyone fighting at bantamweight male or female because he outweighs them by fifty pounds, dipshit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Size and strength aren't irrelevant when technique is more or less equal.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Muttonchips posted:

Why is this so? As one of the top elite judo practitioners in the world, shouldn't she have been able to neutralize the size difference? Isn't that what judo is all about? Using the opponent's weight against them?

If she fought someone smaller (like Demetrius Johnson), would she be able to hold her own? Or is it just the male advantage? I'm doubly confused as I've also seen a video of a really small Asian guy able to armbar a fighter who was waaaay bigger than him.

Basically what I'm asking is- if cross-gender bout was allowed, which weight class could Ronda find some success in?

In all likelihood she wouldn't find any success. Someone who is both physically larger and also has a background in grappling is going to be able to use their size and strength to manhandle a smaller opponent regardless of any advantages that judo offers. Little guys had early success in the beginnings of MMA because no one really understood how grappling worked outside of the practitioners of those styles. But now everyone who fights in MMA trains in some form of grappling or another and it's much more important to have a well rounded game than to be super great at one thing.

Ronda, for all her natural talent and tenacity, is still going to be at a disadvantage against similarly sized men. A pound of muscle is a pound of muscle, but the simple truth is that women carry more fat than men, so men of the same weight class are almost always going to be physically stronger. Are there men that Ronda could beat? Certainly. But at the top end of the sport against world class athletes, she would have an incredibly difficult time.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Muttonchips posted:

judo has weight categories because its romanticised beginnings and purpose aren't reflective of the real world, just like bjj

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
nevermind

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 25, 2015

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Muttonchips posted:

to answer your questions, in order: he's better, no, no, no, no, he's better, depends on what you mean by success but she doesn't like staying lean so she probably wouldn't want to move below 135

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Muttonchips posted:

ronda would get crushed against any remotely good male fighter in her weight class, never mind dj.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
DJ is about 5 times faster than Ronda and it would look entirely uncompetitive.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Any middle of the road men's fighters are still a ton more well rounded than anyone at the top of either WMMA division (joanna looks really good though)

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

Muttonchips posted:

Isn't that what judo is all about? Using the opponent's weight against them?

This is basically a meaningless statement and applies to all grappling. Imagine what a style of grappling that doesn't use the opponents weight against them would look like. Just deadlifting your opponents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
A man weighing 10% less than a woman should have roughly the same amount of muscle mass. The man's punching ability, much like his bench press, would remain better. Still, I wonder about a grapping match between Rousey and, say, a 115 pound guy.