Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Asiina posted:

I feel like I would like basketball if I ever got a chance to get into it.

It's basically the same as hockey.

They're both very personal sports, every 1 player matters more in basketball than in most other sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

I think we have different ideas of what is exciting. For instance, posting about math

Math is pretty cool bro

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

busb posted:

I'm not sure who taste is trying to troll here, but it's probably himself

awareness isn't a troll bb

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Guys I am the lowest weight now that I can actually remember. I think I weigh the same now as I did maybe in high school?

I think in 1-2 months I'll hit the 100 lbs lost landmark.

Today is a good day.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
congrats asiina :D

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Everyone looks like their avatar -> Taste is black

What am I??

Asiina posted:

Guys I am the lowest weight now that I can actually remember. I think I weigh the same now as I did maybe in high school?

Today is a good day.

Today is a great day! Congrats to you!

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Amoeba102 posted:

Were you taking about Nascar or actual auto racing before as being exciting?

I am grouping NASCAR/Indy/F1/rally/24h le mans/motocross/outlaws as auto racing.

They are completely separate from drag racing.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

Some kind of pink nightmare.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Asiina posted:

Today is a good day.

I'm happy for your loss :glomp:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I would probably split them up more. To me, I can see the appeal some auto racing. It's just not something I'm personally interested in. But Nascar and Drag racing are exceptions to that. Rally is probably the one I can appreciate the most.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

I would probably split them up more. To me, I can see the appeal some auto racing. It's just not something I'm personally interested in. But Nascar and Drag racing are exceptions to that. Rally is probably the one I can appreciate the most.

Rally is great but it is hardly a spectator sport.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

Today is a good day.

Yay! :)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Rally is great but it is hardly a spectator sport.

Are you kidding? It's like the most spectator sport. Spectators are just as close as the tour de france, you expect someone to die every time you watch!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntTKfRO5po

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I dont think anything where you sit in a comfy seat while playing is really a sport

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

Are you kidding? It's like the most spectator sport. Spectators are just as close as the tour de france, you expect someone to die every time you watch!

More in the sense that the spectator will never be able to see the entire event, but only the (albeit dangerously exhilarating) action near them.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

JakeP posted:

I dont think anything where you sit in a comfy seat while playing is really a sport

is competitive game Blizzard Heroes of the StormTM an exception?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

More in the sense that the spectator will never be able to see the entire event, but only the (albeit dangerously exhilarating) action near them.

this is actually something I dislike about watching racing in person in general. At least drag allows you to see the whole thing.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Pretty much while racing isn't a spectator sport in general, I guess.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

JakeP posted:

Well if being seated excludes racing as a sport, then I guess bobsledding is out as well.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

is competitive game Blizzard Heroes of the StormTM an exception?

I don't consider "e-sports" sports, but I watch competitive hots all the time, and am watching the dotas now. Fun to watch competition doesn't make it a sport, being an athletic competition does

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

JakeP posted:

I don't consider "e-sports" sports, but I watch competitive hots all the time, and am watching the dotas now. Fun to watch competition doesn't make it a sport, being an athletic competition does

what would the correct word for them in a competitive setting be, then? an activity?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Well if being seated excludes racing as a sport, then I guess bobsledding is out as well.

dunno, never drove a bobsled so I can't say what kind of athleticism that takes, but I assume its more than driving a car which my grandma does every day

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

what would the correct word for them in a competitive setting be, then? an activity?

competition or game

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

JakeP posted:

Is chess considered a sport? How about poker?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Is chess considered a sport? How about poker?

no of course not they are games

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
is candyland a sport? That is an equivlent question to is poker or chess a sport

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

is candyland a sport? That is an equivlent question to is poker or chess a sport

I'll beat the poo poo out of you with a candyland game board

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'll beat the poo poo out of you with a candyland game board

I would consider a candyland board fight a sport

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

JakeP posted:

dunno, never drove a bobsled so I can't say what kind of athleticism that takes, but I assume its more than driving a car which my grandma does every day

Lol

hope grandma's been training in cardio

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The space race was a legitimate sport.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

just because its not good for your body doesn't make it a sport though

i guess its as much of a sport as lifting weights which is more of a sport than video games i guess

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Is competitive eating a sport? Kobayashi is an athlete if I've ever seen one

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

The space race was a legitimate sport.

I agree, but only because america "allegedly" won

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Weight lifting is an olympic sport.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

JakeP posted:

Are e-sports championship matches art?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

I agree, but only because america "allegedly" won

USSR was well ahead. Started show boating and the USA pipped them at the finish line after being behind the whole race. It was like a Bradbury.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

I think it is. They have to do a lot of athletic things in order to burn off 60,000 calories

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Sometimes sports happen and the sports guys have a sport match and sometimes they score points and win the sports matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

I think so