Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel almost like the injury- and the fact that he retired when he did- helped protect SC from really being as overexposed as Hogan and Cena became. Given the choice a promotion will always run with their #1 guy until forced to part with them.

I'm not sure Cena is overexposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

St Evan Echoes posted:

The shaky cam stuff is way less bad than it used to be

Yeah, I'm really just wondering about the cut-on-impact method. What purpose does that possibly serve?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
No the Bourne Identity was actually very fluid and visible in the action. It was the sequels that were poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

No the Bourne Identity was actually very fluid and visible in the action. It was the sequels that were poo poo.

Oh yeah, I guess I kind of just lumped them all together.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

St Evan Echoes posted:

The shaky cam stuff is way less bad than it used to be

Now it's all zoomy cam.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cena's not overexposed. Raw, for all its faults, isn't the John Cena Power Hour like everything revolved around Austin or the NWO. He's stale as poo poo but he's definitely not overexposed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe stale is the better word, true. It's whatever you call the cumulative effect of him having been THE #1 GUY for a decade or so.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

I think I really only see this in WWE, but I'm struggling to think of a reason (other than being a lovely director) why Dunn has set up a system where he cuts to a different angle on every impact. Just in case a hit looks bad so they can edit later? But most of the time they don't even when a hit looks good, so it still looks like poo poo anyway.

Dunn is not good at his job and owes having it entirely to his father and Vince believing he's in some weird blood debt for some tapes being saved from a fire. That's basically it in a nutshell. But he also actively sabotages careers and other efforts, because he's basically Wormtongue to Vince's Theodin, in an effort to protect his position. Including messing with NXT and the performers from it to put artificial hurdles in HHH's way to the top. His head is basically on a platter as soon as Vince has nothing to do with the company and he knows it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dunn is actually good at a lot of aspects of production, as much as everyone hates him

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

triplexpac posted:

Dunn is actually good at a lot of aspects of production, as much as everyone hates him

Yeah, he does the video packages iirc.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

triplexpac posted:

That may have been true years ago but there are way too many missed shots during action and bad angles that ruin the suspension of disbelief these days.

Considering he's in charge of this area, and it's happening constantly, I consider it being poor at your job if it's not being managed properly

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

triplexpac posted:

The irony is for all the hate he gets, he probably has a hand in most peoples favourite ever WWF/WWE moments.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Such as Kelly Kelly finding some TITS!!!

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

If you enjoyed it, then yes. Check: EVERYTHING.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
As a producer Dunn is okay, the show still basically looks good for a live weekly three hour extravaganza and there's only the occasional foul up. It's more that he encourages Vince's worst tendencies.

Maybe someone should offer him a job producing broadcasts for competitive curling or bowling or something.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Another Person posted:

I'm not sure Cena is overexposed.

Cena is not overexposed. Those jorts are huge and we will never see his dick.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Angular Landbury posted:

Better get on that make a wish.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angular Landbury posted:

I watched Trainwreck last night and I beg to differ.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Who are some guys who in your opinion picked the wrong move to be their finish?

By that I mean they have a move they do better or that looks cooler as a signature.

Edge didn't have very good finishes throughout his career IMO -- Edgecution is alright but it was the same thing Gangrel and Christian were doing. The Spear I've never liked as a finish, but Edge in particular never had the size of, say, Goldberg to make it look good. And I don't hate the Downward Spiral, but the Edge-o-Matic always struck me as a cool move that nobody else ever really did

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dolph Ziggler's superkick always looks like it should be finishing a match, then it doesn't and he goes with the lame looking Zigzag.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I always called Edges spe the 'running cuddle'

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

DynamiteKidd posted:

Who are some guys who in your opinion picked the wrong move to be their finish?

He probably didn't pick it but the pedigree is a loving terrible finisher for Rollins.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MisterGBH posted:

I always called Edges spe the 'running cuddle'

More of a leaping hug really.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The Attitude Adjustment/FU vs any other move

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I preferred the Dirty Deeds as a headlock driver rather than a double underhook DDT. It was more unique and seemed to fit Ambrose better as a character.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Blast Fantasto posted:

I preferred the Dirty Deeds as a headlock driver rather than a double underhook DDT. It was more unique and seemed to fit Ambrose better as a character.

This. The double arm DDT just plain sucked.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Has anyone ever called into Alex Jones's show and asked him about Hogan, Nash and Hall?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hogan's leg drop, not because of it's lameness, which is considerable, but also because finishing with the Ax bomber would likely have saved him a lot of surgeries.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Hogan's leg drop, not because of it's lameness, which is considerable, but also because finishing with the Ax bomber would likely have saved him a lot of surgeries.

I don't know. A 300lb man dropping his leg across your throat/chest seemed to me to be a lot more damaging than say, CM Punk's GTS.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Davros1 posted:

I don't know. A 300lb man dropping his leg across your throat/chest seemed to me to be a lot more damaging than say, CM Punk's GTS.

It was ok in the '80s, but after that he kind of just gingerly lowered himself onto your face and if I wanted to see that poo poo I WOULD LEAVE IT TO MY WIFE

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I admit a fondness for lariat finishers in general. Another rather lacking one is the Shane Douglas/Magnum TA belly to belly. I honestly think the GTS is all in the sell, and WWE guys never sold it right. I think it works better with a knock out slow fall or crumple sell rather than a quick back bump. Essentially everyone needs to sell it more like Randy Orton taking the Sweet Chin Music. Though I suppose it would look better if Punk had really laid it in like Kenta tended to, but I think that would have been unlikely to be allowed in WWE.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 8, 2015

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

remusclaw posted:

I admit a fondness for lariat finishers in general. Another rather lacking one is the Shane Douglas/Magnum TA belly to belly. I honestly think the GTS is all in the sell, and WWE guys never sold it right. I think it works better with a knock out slow fall or crumple sell rather than a quick back bump. Essentially everyone needs to sell it more like Randy Orton taking the Sweet Chin Music. Though I suppose it would look better if Punk had really laid it in like Kenta tended to, but I think that would have been unlikely to be allowed in WWE.

Magnum's Belly to Belly was awesome, though I did prefer Rick Steiner's. But the problem with the GTS was everyone landed on their feet after the fireman's carry, so it looked like poo poo. Plus it often looked like he struggled to actually toss them over his head.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You're right about TA's Belly to belly, I shouldn't have used him as I really had more of an issue of Douglas using it in ECW where piledrivers and weapons shots made it seem a little underwhelming. In the 80's NWA finisher escalation really hadn't taken effect yet so the belly to belly is fine. One I didn't really care for was Dino Bravo's sidewalk slam, talk about a finish that makes a scoop slam look like a killer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

remusclaw posted:

You're right about TA's Belly to belly, I shouldn't have used him as I really had more of an issue of Douglas using it in ECW where piledrivers and weapons shots made it seem a little underwhelming. In the 80's NWA finisher escalation really hadn't taken effect yet so the belly to belly is fine. One I didn't really care for was Dino Bravo's sidewalk slam, talk about a finish that makes a scoop slam look like a killer.

And yet Bossman made the sidewalk slam look like a killer. It's all in the execution.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I named it wrong because it was named wrong in the clip I watched. Bravo does a side slam, like Kane as his finish. Boss Man's slam I have always liked, but I have known people who hate it. I guess it really is on the viewer more than anything else. Big Shows punch is really goofy though, its not even the argument that he should go for it all the time because if it hits it kills, it the fact that everyone else does punch all the drat time and Show actively seems to avoid punching during his matches because of his finish.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Especially since Big Show done that cobra clutch backbreaker that looked like it killed dudes in WWECW.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
The Emerald Flowsion being Misawa's ultimate killer move was kinda silly since the Tiger Driver '91 and Tiger Suplex '85 looked way more brutal. Hell even the elbow and regular Tiger Suplex were better finishes imo. I'd say it's about equal to the Tiger Driver and that was never a finisher on anyone but total geeks.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 8, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Especially since Big Show done that cobra clutch backbreaker that looked like it killed dudes in WWECW.

Him doing that to Colin Delaney and then tossing him a solid 15 feet basically made me like The Big Show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Where did the concept of every wrestler having like 50 named signature spots that aren't finishers come from? The earliest I can think of is the Hardy Boyz, because it seemed like every move they did had a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well there may also have been an element of innovation there too, with the Hardys. like if you've made a new move then it needs a name too. I dunno when they started giving names to every already-established move like Sheamus's move-set