Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Videos:
================

Episode 01 - Cheesing the Buffalo

Episode 02 - Mistakes Were Made

Episode 03 - Tactical Tigers

Episode 04 - Battle Body

Episode 05 - Satardar

Episode 06 - Fish Stank

Episode 07 - Ceiling Spikes

Episode 08 - Beam Sabre

Episode 09 (finale) - Bots N' Babes

Super Bonus - Symantec Sword

================

The Story So Far...
================

After years of war and struggle mankind finally ushered in a new era of peace. A scientist named Dr. Doppler developed a method of suppressing maverick behavior thus preventing any reploids from going maverick. His efforts were praised across the world and his admirers even gathered to found "Dopple Town", a utopia where reploid and human could live in peace.

Just as mankind grew to accept this new era, disaster struck. All the reploids that had supposedly been suppressed by Dr. Doppler suddenly went maverick and it was discovered that none other than Dr. Doppler himself was behind the attack. The call went out to X and Zero to once again take arms and fight against the maverick threat...

================

Characters:
================

The Heroes

X, the protagonist and titular character of the game, was all too eager to accept the peace that Dr. Doppler offered, which made his ultimate betrayal that much more bitter. Despite wishing for peace, X finds that he must once again destroy his own kind and fight yet another war.

After his revival during the events of Mega Man X2, Zero returned to active duty among the maverick hunters. He quickly distinguished himself, proving that if anything he was more capable now than before his defeat at the hands of Vile. Mega Man X3 marks the first time that Zero was made a playable character, and my 9 year-old self could not have been more excited. Mechanically Zero plays very similarly to X, except that he starts with a full health bar and an upgraded buster, as well as his beam sabre (later known as the Z-sabre). Because Zero is much stronger than X from the start, he can only be played for half of a level, and there is only one very specific instance he can be used during a boss fight (which I will be showcasing).

The Villains

Dr. Doppler once promised a world of peace, where the threat of mavericks was completely eradicated. He actually accomplished the exact opposite of what he claimed, discovering a way to turn fully functional reploids into mavericks. Now, Dr. Doppler has gathered an army and unleashed it upon the world, but his actions seem to be guided by an as of yet unseen hand...

Bit and Byte are reploids created by Dr. Doppler to sow chaos and turn reploids into mavericks. They are members of what is known as the "Nightmare Police". There's... really not much more to these guys.

This mysterious maverick was apparently recovered by Dr. Doppler and rebuilt, improving his already formidable strength. He seems to have a grudge to settle with X and Zero, and is willing to work with Dr. Doppler so long as he can get his revenge.

================

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 01 - Cheesing the Buffalo

Hey guys, and welcome to Mega Man X3! The Mega Man X series continues to be one of my favorite series of all time, and so after a bit of a break I am continuing my quest to play them all. If you caught the first two, welcome back! If you're new, thanks for stopping by!

As always, I will be joined by my good buddy Alden (A440V) for this LP. Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I'm glad we had the exact same reaction upon first realizing that Zero was playable in this one.

I am also glad you showed off the weird trick with Blizzard Buffalo. I'm glad in general. Keep it up.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Glad to see you're doing X3. The LPs of the first two were some really good stuff.

Do you have plans to do the PSX games?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is my favorite X series game. It's not the worst one, but it's certainly not the best one. Fight me, nerds.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Leavemywife posted:

Glad to see you're doing X3. The LPs of the first two were some really good stuff.

Do you have plans to do the PSX games?

ModeWondershot posted:

I'm glad we had the exact same reaction upon first realizing that Zero was playable in this one.

I am also glad you showed off the weird trick with Blizzard Buffalo. I'm glad in general. Keep it up.

Thanks! I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

I would definitely like to do the PSX games as well, I loved X4 and I think X5 is really solid too. X6 is where it starts to fall off in my opinion and X7... well... let's just leave it at that.

Star Man posted:

This is my favorite X series game. It's not the worst one, but it's certainly not the best one. Fight me, nerds.

Honestly I think being able to play as Zero for the first time is the highlight of this game for me. There are some design decisions (mostly level design stuff) that can be really frustrating at times. I may be biased because it's the game I've played the most, but it's hard to beat the extremely tight level design of the first game and the bosses in that one are still some of the best.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Back when this came out, I actually found it extraordinarily difficult and never actually finished it until years later, when I had already completed X4 and X5.
(edited: screw my opinion, after completely watching your vid and the awesome cheesing of Buffalo and Seahorse, I now realize that my assumption is wrong and this might be one of the easier installments)

Regarding Bit and Byte on your character introductions, I know they're the obligatory "right-hand men", but the title of Nightmare Police makes them sound a helluvalot more badass than they actually are.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 4, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
One weird trick that buffalos hate! :v:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 02 - Mistakes Were Made

I kinda let the cat out of the bag in the episode, but the areas where you fight Vile are very much designed to feel like a trap. I both like and don't like this. I like it because it fits with the theme of Vile trying to get back at X and setting a trap is definitely something he would do. In every area where you find the capsule that takes you to his actual stage not only is the capsule one way but once you find the capsule there's no way back to the rest of the stage. This means that if you don't want to fight him yet because you want to unlock something later in the game (like me) then you have to either reset the game or die repeatedly to get out, which is kind of frustrating.

Also at around 1:30 we mistakenly claim that you need Tunnel Rhino's weapon to get the pickups in this level. You actually need a charged Volt Catfish weapon to get those pickups. I still can't think of an example where you need to beat the stage you're in to get a pickup but if anybody knows of one I'd be interested to find out!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I know I've looked up Bit's kill methods, but I have no idea why I never applied the ice.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Oh man! Another Megaman X DOOPlay? Aww yeah! :getin:

So why does Capcom have Dr. Wily/Sigma pull off these weird, esoteric evil plots in order to hide their identities? It's never been any mystery that it's them after all. :ms:

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
I remember this fanpatch that allowed you to play as zero all the time and did some other fixes regarding zero's move speed etc.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Mr. Soop posted:

Oh man! Another Megaman X DOOPlay? Aww yeah! :getin:

So why does Capcom have Dr. Wily/Sigma pull off these weird, esoteric evil plots in order to hide their identities? It's never been any mystery that it's them after all. :ms:

Thanks! At this point I think it's just tradition more than any effort at compelling storytelling...

Worklurker posted:

I remember this fanpatch that allowed you to play as zero all the time and did some other fixes regarding zero's move speed etc.

I'm not gonna say I immediately went out and downloaded said patch as soon as I read that, but I will say that it is fun as hell.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
This was the first game I ever played as a child, and remained the only one I played for about eight years. I loved it.

Question: Will you be showing off what the special chips do?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think Bit and Byte move from level to level depending on which robot masters you take out, similar to the X Hunters in the last game but now you can't see where they are. Also you alluded to it in the video, but you can "kill" the random bosses by using their weaknesses to deal the final blow. This actually changes some of the boss fights in the fortress gauntlet, and if you don't kill our mysterious rival you get locked out of an item. I don't think killing Bit or Byte changes anything other than one boss, but you should definitely keep them both alive because the boss you fight if you do looks badass.

E: Oh wait I didn't finish the latest video :saddowns:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 7, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ceraph posted:

Honestly I think being able to play as Zero for the first time is the highlight of this game for me. There are some design decisions (mostly level design stuff) that can be really frustrating at times. I may be biased because it's the game I've played the most, but it's hard to beat the extremely tight level design of the first game and the bosses in that one are still some of the best.

Eh, playing as Zero is not one of the game's stronger points. Zero seems to be pretty strong at first, but that's compared to X without upgrades at the beginning of the game. He takes a ton of damage despite having a 32-bar energy meter and doesn't seem to have that much more damage potential. Zero's really just a second energy meter that you can use for a third of the stage.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I think Bit and Byte move from level to level depending on which robot masters you take out, similar to the X Hunters in the last game but now you can't see where they are. Also you alluded to it in the video, but you can "kill" the random bosses by using their weaknesses to deal the final blow. This actually changes some of the boss fights in the fortress gauntlet, and if you don't kill our mysterious rival you get locked out of an item. I don't think killing Bit or Byte changes anything other than one boss, but you should definitely keep them both alive because the boss you fight if you do looks badass.

Actually, in my opinion, leaving them all around nets some cooler boss fights later on in the fortress, compared to the substitutes. It's a cool little mechanic on what you want to do, but at the same time, they're both worth seeing at least once.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Dr. Wily was voiced by Scott McNeil in the cartoon. He was super-prolific in the 90's and early 2000's. Less so nowadays.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The heart tank in Boomer Kuwanger's level doesn't technically require the Boomerang Cutter, as there's another way to get it, but the Boomerang Cutter is the easier & more obvious way IMO & I would assume most people got it the Boomerang Cutter method as a result.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

oldskool posted:

The heart tank in Boomer Kuwanger's level doesn't technically require the Boomerang Cutter, as there's another way to get it, but the Boomerang Cutter is the easier & more obvious way IMO & I would assume most people got it the Boomerang Cutter method as a result.

I actually prefer using the charged Shotgun Ice method, because it doesn't require playing Kuwanger's stage more than once, and I tend to dislike vertically-oriented Mega Man stages.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Heavy Sigh posted:

They said that they will be getting the ultimate chip, but not the individual ones.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

DukeofCA posted:

I actually prefer using the charged Shotgun Ice method, because it doesn't require playing Kuwanger's stage more than once, and I tend to dislike vertically-oriented Mega Man stages.

Well, actually, you don't technically need EITHER of those things, it's just that you need frame perfect timing to do it without them.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

C-Euro posted:

E: Oh wait I didn't finish the latest video :saddowns:

Digital Jello posted:

Actually, in my opinion, leaving them all around nets some cooler boss fights later on in the fortress, compared to the substitutes. It's a cool little mechanic on what you want to do, but at the same time, they're both worth seeing at least once.

I wanted to show off the kill bit and byte path in the main playthrough, but I will go back and showcase the alternate bosses after we finish this playthrough.

Star Man posted:

Eh, playing as Zero is not one of the game's stronger points. Zero seems to be pretty strong at first, but that's compared to X without upgrades at the beginning of the game. He takes a ton of damage despite having a 32-bar energy meter and doesn't seem to have that much more damage potential. Zero's really just a second energy meter that you can use for a third of the stage.

From a gameplay standpoint Zero is really underwhelming in X3, but being 9 years old at the time I cared much less about that and more about the principle that you could actually play as Zero. That is still the big thing that stands out about this game in my mind. As far as his damage potential goes his double charge shot is better than X's buster upgrade but when X gets the beam sabre he can launch a projectile and it is so much more useful.

oldskool posted:

Oh man I can't believe I forgot about that! I use the Shotgun Ice method to get it now but when I was a kid I would use the Boomerang Cutter every time.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Captain Bravo posted:

They said that they will be getting the ultimate chip, but not the individual ones.

Captain Bravo is indeed correct.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 03 - Tactical Tigers

I really like the mechanic they introduce in Neon Tiger's stage. It's cool that they make an enemy that you have to use to get around the level and find the secrets, and this being Super Nintendo if you do accidentally kill them it's not catastrophic because you just go off screen and then they're back.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

Well, actually, you don't technically need EITHER of those things, it's just that you need frame perfect timing to do it without them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAoRh0CRr4I
:stonk:
I spent so goddamn long trying to do that as a kid, and it's actually possible!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

oldskool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAoRh0CRr4I
:stonk:
I spent so goddamn long trying to do that as a kid, and it's actually possible!

You can get the arm part in X2 the same way, but it's still pretty loving hard to do. Even in races, I'd just backtrack to Wheel Gator's stage and just get the stupid thing with the air dash or Boomer Kuwanger's heart tank with the ice sled. It's just so much simpler.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ceraph posted:

I would definitely like to do the PSX games as well, I loved X4 and I think X5 is really solid too. X6 is where it starts to fall off in my opinion and X7... well... let's just leave it at that.

X8 is very much a return to form, and I'd rate it above X5 (Though below X4). It just got very little play because of MegaBURNTOTHEGROUNDman X7

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Kurieg posted:

X8 is very much a return to form, and I'd rate it above X5 (Though below X4). It just got very little play because of MegaBURNTOTHEGROUNDman X7

Yeah I actually really enjoyed X8 and plan on doing it. I will probably suffer through X7 because... well I hate myself.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ceraph posted:

Yeah I actually really enjoyed X8 and plan on doing it. I will probably suffer through X7 because... well I hate myself.

You seem to have deliberately left off X6. I'm glad to see there are limits to your self-hatred.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

You seem to have deliberately left off X6. I'm glad to see there are limits to your self-hatred.

X6 is better than X7. Honestly if X6 didn't have the nightmare system it would be a decent game, and the Blade armor is still one of my favorite non-ultimate armors.

But the nightmare system just makes all the mandatory revisits into a painful slog.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 04 - Battle Body

We finally get to show off one of the big mechanic changes in this game: the ride armors! I like a lot of things about this system. They realized that using the ride armors is a lot of fun, so they put these platforms around the levels that you can use to summon one and just go to town. They introduce the concept of collecting different ride armors and having 4 to choose from, and there are some that are better in specific situations. It's a small nitpickey thing that always bugged me, but they also added a visual indicator for how much health the ride armor has. All of these things were great. The one thing that really bothers me about the ride armor system is that in order to use any of the ride armors you have to rescue the one that's being held captive under Blast Hornet's stage for some reason. There's absolutely no explanation why I can't use the ride armor I already found if I try to activate the platform before that point. If you're playing the game in the order that we are (which I feel like is a pretty common order considering it follows the "start with the ice stage to get the leg upgrades" paradigm of the first one) that means that the stage in which you get the ride armors is the last one. At this point the only real purpose the ride armors serve is to go back into stages and pick up items that require them to be unlocked. The Mega Man X games have always been about exploring the levels and finding all the powerups and upgrades that lie within, but this feels like a pretty big mechanic to have players potentially miss out on entirely.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One of the things I enjoyed about this game is that it borrowed the X1 trick of changing things when you beat a stage.

Except its a lot more understated, and a lot more perverse.

Once you beat Blast Hornet, those Red missile launcher/mortar enemies get replaced with green missile launchers without mortars. Since beating his main armory would make Doppler pull out his weaker weapons out of mothballs.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So what was the big mistake you guys made?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Just curious, is there a reason why the first video is 60fps and the rest aren't?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Captain Bravo posted:

So what was the big mistake you guys made?

I beat the robot masters without taking out Vile. Once you beat all 8 masters he stops showing up in levels, which locks you out of getting one of the secrets I want to show off. There's a little bit of back tracking I need to do in the next episode...

Olesh posted:

Just curious, is there a reason why the first video is 60fps and the rest aren't?

The first episode was recorded with a different capture software. It was giving us file sizes that were way too big and it was causing some framerate issues with the game (as you could see in Blizzard Buffalo's level). When we switched capture software I forgot to check the settings and change it from the default 30fps, by the time I noticed we had already finished recording.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Kurieg posted:

X6 is better than X7. Honestly if X6 didn't have the nightmare system it would be a decent game, and the Blade armor is still one of my favorite non-ultimate armors.

But the nightmare system just makes all the mandatory revisits into a painful slog.

X6 also had some really dodgy level design with the reploids you have to save, and the bosses weren't great either. I didn't hate it though.

Also, the last of Ryu's moves in Street Fighter is the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku. It's pronounced pretty much as it's written.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Wait, X3 has a Street Fighter move too? I thought only X and X2 did that :raise:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Digital Jello posted:

Wait, X3 has a Street Fighter move too? I thought only X and X2 did that :raise:

No, but they couldn't remember the name of ryu's third special move in the first episode

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Ah, got it. I didn't remember that was all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Hoss Corncave posted:

Also, the last of Ryu's moves in Street Fighter is the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku. It's pronounced pretty much as it's written.

It tends to get pronounced Tatsmak Senpuukyak, in practice, which never helps people trying to piece it together. I think the SF2 clip pronounces the first omitted U a lot harder than the modern games, but it also pronounces hadouken like haduuken, so maybe it's best to forget about SF2's audio.

Incidentally, it does finally make its way into the Hunters' repertoire, but not for X.

And yeah, X6 is a bad game, but it's a bad game that I've played through start to finish at least three times. X7 I broke down and bought a used copy for like $3, but still haven't been able to bring myself to boot the drat thing.

• Locked thread