Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

It is, however, below Dante's Inferno.

The game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Was there something else called Dantes Inferno?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Not as far as I'm concerned.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's impossible to take Mr Freeze seriously in the Batman games because of his unholy acting talent.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Bioshock Infinite is bad because it had a great opportunity to do something neat and just dropped the ball. All of the dimension tearing could have been bad rear end to have it splice with more modern alternate times. Instead we get what, one cut scene in England playing an 80s tune and thats it? What a missed opportunity. Its been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again, they totally, TOTALLY hosed the game up when they introduced the Vox Populi as equal enemies as the main enemies. Seriously? The proletariat revolution is JUST AS EVIL as the people that kept literal SLAVES? Are you kidding me? You had build this rich, beautiful world, full of social, religious, economic, and political turmoil, coming at it from all these different angles...only to have the flip switched and OH LOL guess BOTH SIDES ARE JUST AS BAD. Yeah, no.

Its almost as if they hadn't put as much effort into the game I don't think I'd be as upset, but they did. They put SO much effort into it, just to kind of sputter out the last half.

Yeah, the game just couldn't stop and focus on one particular theme. It started out with the weird floating city with the strange founding-fathers myth and an enigmatic leader that could have been a perfectly fine thing to base the entire game around on its own. The part about racial tensions eventually leading to revolution could also have been a decent base. And finally the whole thing about Comstock, Elizabeth, and weird dimension-hopping and gene-splicing experiments would have been plenty to fill up the game on its own. But they tried to juggle all three things at the same time, and as a result none of them really got enough time to be particularly developed. The flying city remained a pretty but largely inconsequential backdrop to shooting mans, the revolution got stupidly simplified as you pointed out, and the whole dimension thing was left pretty rushed and never really fleshed out even though in the end it was elevated to centre stage above the other two.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My favourite truth in the middle thing was when they showed the rich neighbourhoods being evacuated. I was expecting lots of cheesy scenes of the Vox mistreating people, but no apparently they only attack soldiers, the neighbourhoods are empty of civilians, and the worst you see is that the rich had to leave all their stuff behind.

And these are the people the game says are just as bad as literal slavers.

I'm not even a communist, but come on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the game just couldn't stop and focus on one particular theme. It started out with the weird floating city with the strange founding-fathers myth and an enigmatic leader that could have been a perfectly fine thing to base the entire game around on its own. The part about racial tensions eventually leading to revolution could also have been a decent base. And finally the whole thing about Comstock, Elizabeth, and weird dimension-hopping and gene-splicing experiments would have been plenty to fill up the game on its own. But they tried to juggle all three things at the same time, and as a result none of them really got enough time to be particularly developed. The flying city remained a pretty but largely inconsequential backdrop to shooting mans, the revolution got stupidly simplified as you pointed out, and the whole dimension thing was left pretty rushed and never really fleshed out even though in the end it was elevated to centre stage above the other two.

I felt like there were mostly three parts to it like you said although I'd categorize them differently. There's the basic story between the primary characters with booker's/elizabeth's attempt to escape flying american hell with pretty fun FPS gameplay, the social themes and commentary delivered through patriotic imagery with the weird founding fathers religion and so on, and then all the insane quantum stuff. They could have made a perfectly good story with just the first two parts, but it's the third part that takes the game way too far into the deep end and kind of ruins everything else. I'm sure there's some hypothetically possible godgame that could have tied all three together beautifully, but binfinite was never going to be that game, and it wasn't smart to try it either. The quantum themes end up destroying any meaning behind the other two parts of the story, and there's no way to make it work next to gameplay about shooting people in the head.

Strategic Tea posted:

My favourite truth in the middle thing was when they showed the rich neighbourhoods being evacuated. I was expecting lots of cheesy scenes of the Vox mistreating people, but no apparently they only attack soldiers, the neighbourhoods are empty of civilians, and the worst you see is that the rich had to leave all their stuff behind.

Yes, that's the worst they show and definitely not the wall with bloody scalps hanging on it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
All the Bioshock games are so goddamn overrated. If they didn't have the equivalent of Freshman undergrad philosophical writing, nobody would give a poo poo about them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also Ken Levine is a literal objectivist

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

You don't understand man, they had to lave behind all of their snack cakes, apples and cups of coffee. Just imagine if you had to suddenly abandon all of your snacks like that for whatever human garbage disposal to just come in off the street and pillage.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If I directed Bioshock Infinite I would put in a game-mechanic whereby the more random snacks you eat, the fatter you become. You'll run slower, you'll jump lower, and your fingers would become too fat to operate any handguns.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I've been playing tons and tons of Monster Hunter 4 lately, and think it's a drat fine game. It does, however, have a lot of bafflingly bad design decisions; sometimes I wonder why I even like the thing when so many elements of it annoy me so much. More then a sum of it's parts, I suppose.

- You can have up to two cat companions with you in the game. You can level these up, craft gear for them, and give them some very useful skills. They don't do much damage in fights, but they provide a lot of utility - knocking you out of paralyzed / sleepy / frozen states, healing you, curing afflictions etc. The only downside is that they never shut up. They have the most goddamn annoying "MEOW MEOW MRARR MEOW MEOW MEOW" soundbytes in the world, and these loop all the time. In the village, at quests, it doesn't matter. You keep hearing MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MRARR almost all the time. It's like Navi, except "Hey listen!"- now loops forever. You can leave the cats in the village and just ignore them to avoid the ear-grating noise, but they are very useful, and this makes an already challenging game a lot harder.

- The game absolutely loves taking control away from you for arbitrary reasons. Loud noises / ground shaking / freezing & paralyzing & sleeping attacks / wind / taking too much damage stuns you, making you wait a while until you can continue playing the game, and there is nothing stopping the enemies from chaining stun after stun after stun. It's entirely possible (and not that uncommon) to approach a monster, be stunned by it's scream, then be hit by it or another monster before you regain control, be instantly stunned by another scream and just be stun-bounced around until you die with 0 input allowed in between. This can be mitigated with armor that makes you immune to some parts of it (earplugs to avoid noise-stuns are basically mandatory), but it's still poo poo design.

- You can't choose which parts of a monster you want to take when you kill one. Need more bear asses? Too bad, these bears only give you eyes and the rear end is a 5% rare drop. This is MMO design at it's worst. I use a separate android app to see what even drops the things I need - an armor set I made needed "Meaty Hide", and the game doesn't give you any idea what drops this. Sharks, apparently, but only sometimes. Why can't these be listed in-game? You can even buy notes for the different monsters, but these just give you useless non-information like "This lightning creature uses lightning!".

- The game has tons of useless fluff-items that only make your inventory / crafting screens more messy. Why are there "old pickaxes" and "iron pickaxes" when "mega pickaxes" are better than both of those and equally easy if not easier to get? Same with bug nets, a lot of monster materials etc. These could use a lot of pruning.

Dropbear has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Aug 8, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

I mean it all could have worked if they had just fleshed all aspects out more. Why not more time dimension traveling with more cultural references to draw from? Why is it just a mechanic to move the story along/wrap it up at the end instead of a cool way to flesh out the world and show how hosed it up had become in reference to the original plans of Comstock. I thought it was SO COOL when you "accidentally" went into the 80s like that...then the rest of the time its just used as a narrative device to explain why you now need to shoot THESE mans over here.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I felt like there were mostly three parts to it like you said although I'd categorize them differently. There's the basic story between the primary characters with booker's/elizabeth's attempt to escape flying american hell with pretty fun FPS gameplay, the social themes and commentary delivered through patriotic imagery with the weird founding fathers religion and so on, and then all the insane quantum stuff. They could have made a perfectly good story with just the first two parts, but it's the third part that takes the game way too far into the deep end and kind of ruins everything else. I'm sure there's some hypothetically possible godgame that could have tied all three together beautifully, but binfinite was never going to be that game, and it wasn't smart to try it either. The quantum themes end up destroying any meaning behind the other two parts of the story, and there's no way to make it work next to gameplay about shooting people in the head.
Yes, that's the worst they show and definitely not the wall with bloody scalps hanging on it.

I'm super to the left, so I thought it was really interesting how they took the worst aspects of the current Conservative movement and showed what a society would kind of look like and how horrible it was for people not "in the club". Then they back away from that, do a 180, and the "truth is always in the middle", despite literal slavery and subjugation of an entire class of people. Why? Why stop telling that wonderful interesting story? I don't get it.

I do agree though, the story could have been great without the quantum stuff if they had kept at it. Such a disappointment.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Also nobody should ever, ever play the Burial at Sea DLC for infinite. Which, at the end of the day, is basically a snuff film, where anna is fridged for the sake of the protagonist of bioshock 1, because shoehorned continuity. Also, thanks for the most graphic first person torture scene in mainstream gaming, Ken Lavine! Thanks for reducing Anna to a pointlessly fatalistic nutbar whose only companionship is an imaginary booker, Ken Lavine, you rear end in a top hat. The plot is bad to an unimaginable level, too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

more like ken latrine am I right

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I dimly recall reading that Bioshock Infinite's script went through a lot of iterations and the final game features bits and pieces of each one. Which in a strange way almost works out with the whole dimension-hopping idea.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I hated the "plot twist" with Booker.

Also, GTA V's online is terrible, all the sports suck and the mission scaling + lovely economy just causes people to play the 3 to 5 missions that pay the most which ends up being really boring after the 10th time doing each.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dimly recall reading that Bioshock Infinite's script went through a lot of iterations and the final game features bits and pieces of each one. Which in a strange way almost works out with the whole dimension-hopping idea.

It's really obvious from the pre-release material that what we got is not the game they intended to make. I'm really curious about what exactly went wrong. People are quick to crucify Levine for the lovely storytelling, but I'm left wondering if perhaps their original vision was too ambitious for last-gen consoles. Overall, it comes off like they spun their wheels for too long so 2K came in and had them gather up all the scraps they had lying around and release something playable. Similar to what happened with The Bureau, which ironically elevated that game somewhat, but certainly sunk Infinite if that was the case.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

John Murdoch posted:

It's really obvious from the pre-release material that what we got is not the game they intended to make. I'm really curious about what exactly went wrong. People are quick to crucify Levine for the lovely storytelling, but I'm left wondering if perhaps their original vision was too ambitious for last-gen consoles. Overall, it comes off like they spun their wheels for too long so 2K came in and had them gather up all the scraps they had lying around and release something playable. Similar to what happened with The Bureau, which ironically elevated that game somewhat, but certainly sunk Infinite if that was the case.

I'm convinced that if they had the choice they would have cut out a lot of the 'special' enemy types (the Sirens, Handymen and boys of silence) or at least redesigned them so heavily that they would unrecognizable. But they made special trailers hyping up those enemies so when it came to it they likely felt forced to include even though none of them felt fun or interesting to fight, they weren't as well developed as stuff like the big daddies and didn't inhabit the universe and the plot nearly as comfortably. The boys of silence in particular show up briefly near the end, don't do much except show that the game was hopelessly ill-equipped to attempt stealth and provide one (pretty good TBF) jump scare.

Also songbird, I remember reading in previews and stuff that he would show up at certain points and force you to adopt a much stealthier approach, but in the actual game we got he's entirely limited to scripted sequences with no actual involvement in the game play in any way until five minutes before the end when they turn him into a boring power-up.

Ugh, the game has all the signs of being a disaster in development with too many jumbled, half-baked ideas that weren't executed at all well, what a disappointment, it had the basis of such an awesome game.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

As a series, Bioshock has never had much of coherent direction in gameplay. The games have always tried to present these big environments that you could "explore" but ended up forcing the player down a pretty repetitive corridor of okay setpieces, but it's totally okay because you can check out all these audio logs (that you can really only discover in order).

I can't understand anyone surprised by Infinite after the first (two) game(s).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bioshock 2 is a pretty solid game at least.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sardonik posted:

Also nobody should ever, ever play the Burial at Sea DLC for infinite. Which, at the end of the day, is basically a snuff film, where anna is fridged for the sake of the protagonist of bioshock 1, because shoehorned continuity. Also, thanks for the most graphic first person torture scene in mainstream gaming, Ken Lavine! Thanks for reducing Anna to a pointlessly fatalistic nutbar whose only companionship is an imaginary booker, Ken Lavine, you rear end in a top hat. The plot is bad to an unimaginable level, too.

I really did like Bioshock Infinite's plot if you take it from the Pinnochio angle (and gently caress yes ignore the Burial at Sea DLC my good god): Booker the player was created basically at the start of the game and wished into existence by Elizabeth, his reality starts to fill in backwards as the game goes on, and by the end of it he's the real Comstock and his timeline is reality, not Comstock or Rapture's timeline. Also makes the post-credits thing make more sense to think of it that way. Elizabeth basically wished her lovely existence away by rewriting her own life and making a new dad who doesn't suck out of the sea of history of her 'real' one.

Death of the author makes that plot so much better. And skipping that loving DLC.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Bioshock 2 is a pretty solid game at least.

Bioshock 2 lets you put smaller drills on your big-rear end arm drill so you can drill old-timey mutants even harder. Bioshock 2 is a good game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I have a soft spot for the story of Bioshock Infinite but I watched some LP guy stream the DLC and I stillk wonder wtf they were thinking.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crowetron posted:

Bioshock 2 lets you put smaller drills on your big-rear end arm drill so you can drill old-timey mutants even harder. Bioshock 2 is a good game.

In a couple of interviews they mentioned how design talks about the drill weapon basically turned into a series of dick jokes every single time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dropbear posted:

- You can have up to two cat companions with you in the game. You can level these up, craft gear for them, and give them some very useful skills. They don't do much damage in fights, but they provide a lot of utility - knocking you out of paralyzed / sleepy / frozen states, healing you, curing afflictions etc. The only downside is that they never shut up. They have the most goddamn annoying "MEOW MEOW MRARR MEOW MEOW MEOW" soundbytes in the world, and these loop all the time. In the village, at quests, it doesn't matter. You keep hearing MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MRARR almost all the time. It's like Navi, except "Hey listen!"- now loops forever. You can leave the cats in the village and just ignore them to avoid the ear-grating noise, but they are very useful, and this makes an already challenging game a lot harder.

The meowing is cool and good but all right.

Dropbear posted:

- The game absolutely loves taking control away from you for arbitrary reasons. Loud noises / ground shaking / freezing & paralyzing & sleeping attacks / wind / taking too much damage stuns you, making you wait a while until you can continue playing the game, and there is nothing stopping the enemies from chaining stun after stun after stun. It's entirely possible (and not that uncommon) to approach a monster, be stunned by it's scream, then be hit by it or another monster before you regain control, be instantly stunned by another scream and just be stun-bounced around until you die with 0 input allowed in between. This can be mitigated with armor that makes you immune to some parts of it (earplugs to avoid noise-stuns are basically mandatory), but it's still poo poo design.

There is a learning curve as far as not getting hit is concerned. What weapon are you using? I recommend the hammer if you'er having trouble dodging things, it's very mobile.

Dropbear posted:

- You can't choose which parts of a monster you want to take when you kill one. Need more bear asses? Too bad, these bears only give you eyes and the rear end is a 5% rare drop. This is MMO design at it's worst. I use a separate android app to see what even drops the things I need - an armor set I made needed "Meaty Hide", and the game doesn't give you any idea what drops this. Sharks, apparently, but only sometimes. Why can't these be listed in-game? You can even buy notes for the different monsters, but these just give you useless non-information like "This lightning creature uses lightning!".

As the game goes on, you'll find that it often gives you Caravan quests associated with each type of small monster in the area, and should give you some of their associated giblets. Just keep pressing on and eventually there'll be a quest to kill the sharks (sand sharks, I presume?) which rewards Meaty Hides every time.

Dropbear posted:

- The game has tons of useless fluff-items that only make your inventory / crafting screens more messy. Why are there "old pickaxes" and "iron pickaxes" when "mega pickaxes" are better than both of those and equally easy if not easier to get? Same with bug nets, a lot of monster materials etc. These could use a lot of pruning.

If you carry old pickaxes, iron pickaxes AND mega pickaxes, you'll be able to do way more mining than with just mega pickaxes!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

No Booker, you are the Comstock.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Lizard Wizard posted:

There is a learning curve as far as not getting hit is concerned. What weapon are you using? I recommend the hammer if you'er having trouble dodging things, it's very mobile.

As the game goes on, you'll find that it often gives you Caravan quests associated with each type of small monster in the area, and should give you some of their associated giblets. Just keep pressing on and eventually there'll be a quest to kill the sharks (sand sharks, I presume?) which rewards Meaty Hides every time.

He's totally right about these though. I love the Monster Hunter games but it does get pretty bullshit sometimes where getting hit with a single stun attack (or paralyze, or sleep, or snowman, etc.) will end up killing you because they just re-stun you before you get a chance to move again.

And in addition to the RNG problem with loot drops (farming for poo poo that has a 5% drop rate is an absolute chore sometimes, though quests usually have the possibility of giving you these), there's the problem that if you just see "velvety hide" as part of a recipe for instance, you really have no way of knowing that it's dropped by leech monsters. Ditto for things like "monster broth" and "pale fluid." If the books about the monsters told you what they drop, that would be a huge plus.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I've been playing a lot of XCOM lately and the thing that's driving me up the wall with it is when the game grabs camera control away from you. It happens only occasionally, usually when you're entering a UFO for the first time and see a power source or flight computer for the first time. It's nice kind when you see them for them for the first time, but I've beaten the game before, I KNOW FLIGHT COMPUTERS ARE IMPORTANT VAHLEN SHUT THE gently caress UP.

There's a couple of more scripted missions where it happens some what relentlessly. SHUT THE gently caress UP BRADFORD, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bioshock and Bioshock: Infinite are excellent but 2 is literal dreck that even Levin trounced afterwards.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
More evidence that Levine is pretty much retarded because 2 is the only one actually fun to play. :shrug:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

I stillk wonder wtf they were thinking.

"gently caress anyone who tries to continue this series" - Kevin Levine

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

More evidence that Levine is pretty much retarded because 2 is the only one actually fun to play. :shrug:

2 has the worst story and the majority of the gameplay i.e. protecting little sisters which was the worst part of the first bioshock. Then regardless of killing or saving a little sister a big sister might attack you, it was very bad.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

EmmyOk posted:

2 has the worst story and the majority of the gameplay i.e. protecting little sisters which was the worst part of the first bioshock. Then regardless of killing or saving a little sister a big sister might attack you, it was very bad.

This makes me feel awkward since I loved protecting the little sisters in Bioshock 2, it was great fun setting a little fortress of turrets, mines, tripwires, various plasmids and trap rivets. Oh man the trap rivets were great, if you put them on a ceiling a splicer could walk under and get headshot immediately :allears:

I felt it actually gave you the tools and enough time to make use of said tools when it came to protecting the little sisters against the onslaught, that was the bioshock combat at its best.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah the difference is that the gunplay and the weapons were super satisfying and effective, so the little sister defense sections were actually extremely fun. Plus the weapons/plasmids combo was so much more flexible than in Bioshock 1 so you could really use a lot of cool different styles. And who gives a poo poo about the story because the story in all three Bioshock games is very bad.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

I've been playing a lot of XCOM lately and the thing that's driving me up the wall with it is when the game grabs camera control away from you. It happens only occasionally, usually when you're entering a UFO for the first time and see a power source or flight computer for the first time. It's nice kind when you see them for them for the first time, but I've beaten the game before, I KNOW FLIGHT COMPUTERS ARE IMPORTANT VAHLEN SHUT THE gently caress UP.

There's a couple of more scripted missions where it happens some what relentlessly. SHUT THE gently caress UP BRADFORD, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

I think there's an option to turn off the noob chatter or whatever, but it might require the long war mod and to be honest I've never used it or seen it being used, I just remember watching an LP where the guy explained what it did then forgot to turn it on.

*and I think you need to select it before you start a new campaign

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I enjoyed all of the Bioshock games.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

im pooping! posted:

I think there's an option to turn off the noob chatter or whatever, but it might require the long war mod and to be honest I've never used it or seen it being used, I just remember watching an LP where the guy explained what it did then forgot to turn it on.

*and I think you need to select it before you start a new campaign

That was an option included with Enemy Within, and it cut down on some of the first time dialogue, especially on stuff like Vahlen yelling at you for using explosives or killing outsiders. It doesn't stop everything, and I've had it enabled since Enemy Within came out. It removes a lot of the NPC dialog that you don't need to hear, but not every single piece of dialog.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I thought that the ending of Bioshock Infinite was really good.

I didn't like that I was still scavenging. Like, can we stop with the food healing as a thing in games? Seriously?

We're living in all these supertech alternate pasts and in each one I'm scarfing down snackycakes to try to keep my energy up, why is that still a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Somfin posted:

I thought that the ending of Bioshock Infinite was really good.

I didn't like that I was still scavenging. Like, can we stop with the food healing as a thing in games? Seriously?

We're living in all these supertech alternate pasts and in each one I'm scarfing down snackycakes to try to keep my energy up, why is that still a thing?

I don't mind it because it feels slightly more immersive than "nanosyringe #34" or "generic medikit." It'd be better if you could just pick up the stuff and take it with you instead of eating oreos off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo, but what can you do?