Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
"Tutti quanti"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
##rehearse

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

##challenge

wait

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
welp I got it wrong
##rehearsal

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
Currently rehearsing:

- Birdstrike
- MMM Whatchya Say
- Bifauxnen
- Hal Incandenza
- Gwynplaine
- EXAKT science

Rehearsal Scum PM's being sent.

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
##REHEARSAL DAY ONE##

Before the night kill there is not much to go off, so day one players discuss what roles they want to adopt during the day.

The roles are:

Il Capitano: accuses a player of being scum and gives reasons why

Il Dottore: closely analyses il Capitano's claims; are they true? Are they misleading?

Pulcinella: defends the player il Capitano is accusing. Why might il Capitano be wrong?

once people have discussed and asked questions about these roles we can move on.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

So Il Capitano = acting like Milky or Gaspy or Beet

Pulcinella = me slapfighting and telling Beet he's full of it

Il Dottore = probably almost the same thing as Pulcinella unless you think the capitano's got a point this time

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
Something to keep in mind: you can not vote for yourself to have these roles. Town elects who they want to be vocal, who will be under scrutiny. Players either town or scum can volunteer on day one for a role to encourage voting for them the next day.

Reasons for town to select il Capitano:

- you think the player will be good (if town) at hunting scum.
- you think the player will make mistakes (if scum) and will get caught
- you think the player does not speak enough in games

Reasons for scum to select il Capitano:

- you think the player will make mistakes and look like scum
- you are electing another scum into a difficult role so they look like a town player
- you think the player will cause confusion

You cannot vote for yourself.

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole

Bifauxnen posted:

So Il Capitano = acting like Milky or Gaspy or Beet

Pulcinella = me slapfighting and telling Beet he's full of it

Il Dottore = probably almost the same thing as Pulcinella unless you think the capitano's got a point this time

Il Dottore is not there to undermine il Capitano, Pulcinella is. Il Dottore is more like Mithranderp: what are the facts, did this really happen, is this true about the players involved. Pulcinella is not governed by fact, and may play upon emotional response or even make things up! However if caught out, that will be bad for both the Pulcinella and the accused.

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
Also scum want il Capitano to be scum as that lets them control the kill.

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
Sorry it occurs to me the way I've written it is a bit confusing, I'll try to bulletpoint it for simplicity.

- Il Capitano is elected by majority
- the first il Capitano can elect one other il Capitano

- il Capitano essentially acts as a posting restriction where they have to accuse and case a single player at a time.
- however they are the only ones who can hammer, a player who has achieved majority votes will only be killed if one of the Capitano's performs the action ##execute [player] on them.

- people can vote OUT a player from the Capitano position by the Cavolo system and this will lead to a new il Capitano being elected, and the old il Capitano becoming hated for the rest of the day.

- so an il Capitano who wants to control the kill has to do their job effectively and not earn public aggression

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh, I missed that bit about how only they can hammer!

This is a really cool setup, it seems like it has both big pros and cons for the scum. It gives them a nice framework to work within to act out their townie roles, to possibly look more natural in how they post. But it also forces more participation to suss out where their allegiances are.

So right now we're still supposed to be putting our hands up for what we're interested in, right? So people can get an idea of who's worth nominating? All these roles sound fun, and I'd be up for any of them, except in the real game I'd probably prefer to wait a couple days before getting cast as Il Capitano. I'm traditionally useless at scumhunting for at least a couple days, usually.

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
Also anyone in the rehearsal who didn't get a PM is vanilla town.

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
And even if you're not in the rehearsal you can ask questions

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
So the first Il Capitano can nominate a second Il Capitano AND an Il Dottore? Can the second Il Capitano nominate a third or is 2 the limit?

It sounds pretty interesting, I can't wait to start :)

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole

Kitiara posted:

So the first Il Capitano can nominate a second Il Capitano AND an Il Dottore? Can the second Il Capitano nominate a third or is 2 the limit?

It sounds pretty interesting, I can't wait to start :)

There is only one il Dottore and they are the second role voted in. So it goes:

- people vote in il Capitano
- il Capitano picks rival il Capitano
- people vote in il Dottore
- people vote in first Pulcinella (defends whoever the first Capitano is accusing)
- people vote in second Pulcinella (defends whoever the second Capitano is accusing)

The steps in italics are optional.

So an il Dottore must scrutinise both Capitano's. It can be a difficult position, but the advantage is Il Dottore is not obligated to make an opinion or decision.

A scum il Dottore can frame an il Capitano as being more or less believable as long as they aren't caught bending the facts!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
vote Bifauxnen for capitano

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
It is rare to vote the roles in day one as what is an il Capitano meant to work off! But not unheard of. If people follow your vote, BIFAUXNEN will be expected to make a case!

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
And yeah it's the tutorial so any time anyone does anything that moves it along I'll be popping up to point out what's what.

FOR THIS TUTORIAL, ONLY ONE CAPITANO WILL BE ELECTED

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
##vote Bifauxnen for captain lou albano

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Everyone should elect me for Capitano no one is better at finding scum than me.

Don't let your xenophobia keep you from voting the best choice!

Alternately I can be the guy who tells the captain he is full of crap because I am an expert at that too.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Gwynplaine posted:

##vote Bifauxnen for captain lou albano

like this guy, clearly a bad guy

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
Outstanding.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sure, I'll ##vote for Hal as Il Capitano.

Since we aren't using votefinder for this stuff, I guess we don't need all the bold hashtag formalities. But that should make it a bit easier I imagine, for the volunteers tracking it all.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
If you don't have an il capitano day one how are you supposed to hunt on that day che cosi!

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
##vote hal for the guy who tells the capitano he's full of crap

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I want to be defending guy

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
IL CAPITANO

Bifauxnen: 2/4 votes

Hal Incandenza: 1/4 votes

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
okay I misunderstood the rules and didn't realize the roles were voted on one at a time. Since that is the case, ##unvote, ##vote Bif

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Vote bifu

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That looks like enough votes, so I elect Hal Incandenza as the rival Captain Crunch!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Whoops make that Cap'n Crunch Mafia edit

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mozzafiato posted:

And yeah it's the tutorial so any time anyone does anything that moves it along I'll be popping up to point out what's what.

FOR THIS TUTORIAL, ONLY ONE CAPITANO WILL BE ELECTED

Man I'm tired this morning

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I want to be defending guy

I would have voted you but you totally backstabbed me.

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
BIFAUXNEN IS IL CAPITANO

Now the following can happen:

- Players can start voting for il Dottore responsible for scrutinising il Capitano's claims
- Bifauxnen has to start a case on a player
- players who think bifauxnen is doing a poor job as il Capitano can say Cavolo Bifauxnen!, if the majority do this Bifauxnen will lose the role of il Capitano and become odiato (hated), for the rest of the day.

A note on Cavolo, you can not un-Cavolo a player, it's not like a vote, there are no joke-cavolos. When you say it, they're stuck with it!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Now once we pick Il Capitano, can we move right on to picking the next role, or should that wait till the first accusation gets made?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Okay well I say whoever thought putting me in charge was a good idea must be pretty dodgy and that was... Birdstrike!

DUN DUN DUNNN

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole

Bifauxnen posted:

Now once we pick Il Capitano, can we move right on to picking the next role, or should that wait till the first accusation gets made?

You can move right along or wait, but the next roles must still be picked. If you accuse before, that obviously may effect the votes for future roles.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

vote me for anti-bifauxnen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Incandenza posted:

vote me for anti-bifauxnen!

That sounds more like the 3rd role, right? Next up is Il Dottore, who sounds more like a referee than "the guy who tells the Capitano they're full of crap"

• Locked thread