Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Awesome ambience, any sources for it? :haw:

Also is that SCT's art or someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

SugarAddict posted:

:stare: I think that's for blightfall.

It definitely is, click the screens for datascans. At some point I think there'll be something on the table but for now nothing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Thyrork posted:

Awesome ambience, any sources for it? :haw:

Also is that SCT's art or someone else?

The sound is a from here and the art was drawn by TheHave, our artist guy. The next packs we put out are going to be slathered all up and down by this guy and perhaps someone else.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Edminster posted:

It definitely is, click the screens for datascans. At some point I think there'll be something on the table but for now nothing.

Agreed - low minerals of the 'tech minerals,' low spawns of everything but the entire place covered in "unclassified flora," there being pockets of netherstuff in the overworld, some other stuff, definitely Blightfall.

I'm really hype! Especially if they're doing a big release thing, the update's gonna be huge

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Edminster posted:

The data-scans are really well done, I had an immediate chuckle at the line "scanning air blocks". :v:

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Ooooh this is going to be gooood isn't it?

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

SugarAddict posted:

:stare: I think that's for blightfall.

Blightfall is about Kakermix and his spare bodies, so these two things are not mutually exclusive.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 8, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Getting pretty hype for Blightfall 2.0 here. Sounds like we're maybe getting a custom texture pack for it too? This is gonna be sweet. Look like a little under four days till launch, right?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I was thinking of whipping up a lightweight modpack to play with my 12-year-old cousin during holiday vacation (thinking ahead, I know). I was thinking Tinkers Construct and Ars Magica might be a good start. Any ideas?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was thinking of whipping up a lightweight modpack to play with my 12-year-old cousin during holiday vacation (thinking ahead, I know). I was thinking Tinkers Construct and Ars Magica might be a good start. Any ideas?

Iron chests or some other big chests mod.
inv tweaks (sort chests button)
Minimap of some kind
NEI (how to make stuff)
Extra-utilities
Gravestone
Nether ores
Enchanting Plus

That's all I can think of at the moment.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 9, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Krakatoah posted:

Ooooh this is going to be gooood isn't it?

Just wanna take a second to point out that day 2's up :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Just wanna take a second to point out that day 2's up :)

There's a strange purple flora covering the planet,
LETS SEND AN UNPROTECTED PERSON INTO IT!
NOTHING CAN GO WRONG!!

The ship is gonna get infected isn't it?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SugarAddict posted:

There's a strange purple flora covering the planet,
LETS SEND AN UNPROTECTED PERSON INTO IT!
NOTHING CAN GO WRONG!!

The ship is gonna get infected isn't it?

Check the open pod. They're sending you down with a sealed suit apparently.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

djw175 posted:

Check the open pod. They're sending you down with a sealed suit apparently.

I'm pointing out that they didn't do that initially.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Day 3 of that blightfall promo is up now.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
tfw it doesn't work on mobile

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

This has to mean something, but its not galactic standard and its not any common runic language i can find with google.

Also saying it here too; gently caress you Kaker and technic, you wonderful people, i loves me my ARG's. :swoon:

E: Assuming it doesn't, we should pool together a nice ambient playlist to enjoy while playing Blightfall. Minecraft's default music doesn't quiet match the tone. ;) Any suggestions?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 9, 2015

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Thyrork posted:

This has to mean something, but its not galactic standard and its not any common runic language i can find with google.

Also saying it here too; gently caress you Kaker and technic, you wonderful people, i loves me my ARG's. :swoon:

E: Assuming it doesn't, we should pool together a nice ambient playlist to enjoy while playing Blightfall. Minecraft's default music doesn't quiet match the tone. ;) Any suggestions?

I personally enjoy Atrium Carceri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPWa94k0qg

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Progress so far, I have gone slightly mad. Going to be crushed if this ends up being gibberish! :unsmigghh:

Dont judge, its a lazy sunday.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Thyrork posted:

Progress so far, I have gone slightly mad. Going to be crushed if this ends up being gibberish! :unsmigghh:

that cutout on the upper right is probably "tainted"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Hell yeah getting mad Covert Action flashbacks from that. If you can't figure it out I'll give it a shot myself.

And yeah, that's tainted. You should have an easy time from here tbh.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
SHOULD BE NOTED THAT REVERSING THE ENCHANTMENT IS A BIT TRICKIER AS IT IS NOT TRULY THE LAND THAT IS TAINTED BUT THE AURA OF THE LAND ITSELF

ONE MUST APPLY THE NECESS

It was obvious which letters were "the" and then "enchantment" was the only word that fit in there which made the rest easy

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Threep posted:

SHOULD BE NOTED THAT REVERSING THE ENCHANTMENT IS A BIT TRICKIER AS IT IS NOT TRULY THE LAND THAT IS TAINTED BUT THE AURA OF THE LAND ITSELF

It was obvious which letters were "the" and then "enchantment" was the only word that fit in there which made the rest easy

Beat me to it, good job.

Basic thaumcraft fluff I guess. I wonder if Azanor had a dictionary for that somewhere, those symbols are all from the old runic research system.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Threep posted:

:neckbeard: Awesome! I was going slowly and got to here before you beat me:

Now, someone else crack the right one!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I only just realized that you're looking out at the three other pods from your own pod. That guy on the left is gonna die next :( Wonder if they're changing up the glass dome starts or dropping you near silver wood groves in the new version.

I'm so incredibly pumped to start running about to fix the worlds aura. I'm probably gonna spend way too long clearing huge tracts of grassland to repopulate and reforest.

Incidentally, anyone up for starting a multiplayer game with the new version? Would be cool to play with a few people in different teams and do some trading.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm guessing the next guy will discover the trees/domes and will be the one to place the teleporter pads. So he'll be alive for a few days, and then will die in a manner that causes the teleport network to unlink, just in time for the pack to release/we are let out of the pod.

Further speculation:
Sealed suit probably means we're getting a texture pack with a customer player skin. Either that or we'll be starting with an armor set... which would represent a big change from the initial BlightFall pack.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
ABCD EFGHI JFA
BKLM BKNNMJMI
COABFDM OFFH
EKQRFJSMQD BKI
DCRNHT
KUUMNAMI RT
ECDIFR

First-come-first-served symbol-to-character translation. Now to crack the code?

THIS WOULD NOT
HAVE HAPPENED
IF THOSE FOOL
WARMONGERS HAD
SIMPLY
ACCEPTED MY
WISDOM

mechaet fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 9, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know nothing about blightfall but this is making me hype as hell

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The symbols on the right page look like the same symbols used in the Thaumonomicon for the Eldritch Revelation's page. It's an existing font, called the Cthulhu Runes font.

In case anyone was wondering, the Eldritch Revelation page says something like "how now brown cow cthulu was in the darkness and wants to give you a hug. don't worry he won't bite | wibble wobble woo the cow. jumped over the fox" and then gibberish.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 9, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh hey, thanks!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

What I'm curious about is, can you live up to the hype you are creating? I do have faith in the Technic team, but many people/companions have created unwarranted hype before and it's always such a downer when it happens :(

Please be good Technic team.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

What I'm curious about is, can you live up to the hype you are creating? I do have faith in the Technic team, but many people/companions have created unwarranted hype before and it's always such a downer when it happens :(

Please be good Technic team.

From having played Blightfall early on, I'd say it's worth the hype. It was good back then, and it's only gotten better. The only really noticable problem was that you had to clear out a large area of the taint-related mobs to open mob slots for normal hostile mobs to spawn, and if they've fixed that somehow...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i know nothing about blightfall but this is making me hype as hell

actually, to follow up on this, does anyone have a good summary of what blightfall is all about so i can maybe 'sell' it to some friends of mine? like, what does the general gameplay progression entail? is it frustratingly hard? is it grindy? is the general atmosphere really good? is there ever a point where you can feel like you've got a clear handle on things? it's easy enough to get them to play 'normal' modded minecraft, but i've wanted to try out one of these big conversion things for a while and the theme of this sounds perfect.

i'm aware that details of the new version are probably sparse right now but i figured people would have at least a general opinion based on past versions and the like.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
From what I remember a hell of a lot less grindy than any other skyblock-style map, although the food system irritates me. Gotta eat every few minutes and diminishing returns start fast. I would like to eat something more than three times before it becomes useless.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

actually, to follow up on this, does anyone have a good summary of what blightfall is all about so i can maybe 'sell' it to some friends of mine? like, what does the general gameplay progression entail? is it frustratingly hard? is it grindy? is the general atmosphere really good? is there ever a point where you can feel like you've got a clear handle on things? it's easy enough to get them to play 'normal' modded minecraft, but i've wanted to try out one of these big conversion things for a while and the theme of this sounds perfect.

i'm aware that details of the new version are probably sparse right now but i figured people would have at least a general opinion based on past versions and the like.

Well, in the version I played, you started out in a spaceship and got to choose from five drop pods, each led to starting areas of varying difficulty. The progression is basically:
1) grow some trees, make tcon tools, use some reputation to get some quick food, then crops you can farm to deal with hunger
2) mine under the base for some starting metals
3) do some quests that send you out to scout nearby locations, making the mad dash across the taint. each location has a teleporter that you can use to return to base (and go back and forth)
4) discover new metals at other locations, use reputation gained from doing quests to gain stuff you're missing
5) scavenge ethereal blooms from other teleport locations, use them to clean the area near your base so you can expand
6) research research
7) more scouting, more quests, more research, better cleaning tools
8) become a magic god, clean the world

It's not really grindy, but tech ore can be hard to come by. Oh, you need to have a tolerance for Thaumcraft research of course, as Thaumcraft progression is required to get anywhere. I guess you can skip most of it and only use the parts dealing with taint removal? Also the gear you want. There's some Blood Magic later in the pack, which can be considered grindy I guess. It can be difficult at the start since the scouting quests make you run through tainted land filled with nasty things that want to kill you. Some experience in dealing with packs of dangerous mobs is required- either running from them or killing them without armor. Obviously once you've geared up and researched enough thaumcraft to get good cleaning tools you've got a good handle on things.

It definitely has a good atmosphere. There are a bunch of custom-made structures, and there are NPCs to talk to in the ship now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that actually clears things up a bit, thanks! thaumcraft research shouldn't be an issue, honestly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The totally aimless hunt for ores (even in the "motherlode" areas you learn about down the line) is what turned me off from Blightfall, though I did get pretty near endgame. As much as I can see the work going into it, I don't really want to go back to that.

I also circumvented the hunger system which I hated by installing harvestcraft.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah the food system is the worst part of blightfall, though if you request seeds a bunch and get 4 kinds of berry bushes and grow them to a dozen of each, you're totally set for food.

It got kind of grindy when I hit the end of the tech, because I was just shuffling ethereal blooms to clear land, but apparently the new update is adding higher tech taint clearing, to the point that you fly around on an airship that clears blight as you fly it around, which is pretty awesome.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can only assume that if they're going through all this effort to re-release it and build all this hype then hopefully they've tweaked some of the more annoying aspects.

hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Magres posted:

Yeah the food system is the worst part of blightfall, though if you request seeds a bunch and get 4 kinds of berry bushes and grow them to a dozen of each, you're totally set for food.

It got kind of grindy when I hit the end of the tech, because I was just shuffling ethereal blooms to clear land, but apparently the new update is adding higher tech taint clearing, to the point that you fly around on an airship that clears blight as you fly it around, which is pretty awesome.

That's one Hell of a custom title.

I played Blightfall when it first came out and it was okay. It doesn't help that I'm bad at Minecraft. But I'm hype as gently caress to try it again thanks to all that fluff.