Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Next week, it turns out that Melvin actually likes that look for the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Lycus posted:

Next week, it turns out that Melvin actually likes that look for the pool.

What do you think was going on in that scene?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've had this horrible theory that the reason Melvin is around, and keeps being around, is that it will turn out he killed Hannah.

On any normal crime show, this would practically be a given (or it would somehow turn out to be the Senator that did it). On this show, I hope/think Melvin is just A Good Guy.

Still have no idea what the point of the Senator having a stroke will end up being, unless it's something for next season.

I'm increasingly convinced that George's suicide/Trey covering it up will be solved and that will somehow allow Daniel to stay in Paulie.

edit: This season has had literally zero Bobby Dean and almost literally zero Jared, weird.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season is so incredible. This might end up being my favourite drama of the year, if I fudge it a little and call Hannibal a genre/horror show.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Goddamn that was a great episode of television. This season has been an absolute homerun so far, and I can't believe next week is already the finale.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This week's episode was phenomenal. Rectify excels with short seasons.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah this is my favorite season so far. The acting done with Trey at the end when they're searching is really amazing, the entire cast has been unbelievable.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Jared really likes The Pharcyde. I think he's had that song on repeat throughout the entire series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Janet standing up to Ted and Teddy was fantastic.

Next season will definitely be about Trey going to trial and the things that shake out from it. Bank on it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It's kinda nice that we had two seasons of awkward tension because so much was going on and nobody knew how to tell anybody else. Janet always kept quiet, Teddy and Tammy couldn't communicate in the slightest, Jared was shut out by everybody, Amantha was pulling Daniel into the game when he didn't wanna play it, etc.

But S3 has been about the characters moving toeards catharsis and talking to each other a little more. I feel they think the smoke has cleared with Daniel's plea deal, but this whole ordeal with Trey is going to ramp things back up again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just realized that next season we could have an episode that's just Daniel on the witness stand, like a one-act play. Who could they get to play Prosecutor? Sam Waterson would be funny since he actually is a great actor. Or maybe Ray McKinnon himself, that would be transcendent.

e: I'm not a hundred percent onboard with bringing in another shady character in Chris. I also miss things like Kerwin and Lezlie With a Z.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
Regarding the Senator having a stroke, I think it's the show's brand of karma crashing down on him for (unknowingly???) pursuing the wrong man the entire time. It'd make a *bit* more sense if he was somehow involved in Hanna's death like some are speculating. But even still, whether he knew it or not, it's looking increasingly likely that he has inflicted irreversible damage on an innocent man's life. I remember a scene he had with the Sheriff in season 2 musing on life being interesting because of all its variables. It works quite well as foreshadowing to his current situation, if I'm remembering it right.

Another amazing episode this week, but it just feels redundant to keep saying that about this show. Does another season definitely mean that Daniel stays in Paulie for longer? I feel like it has to, as otherwise he wouldn't be able to interact with any other characters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do think that Ray McKinnon is so happy with the current cast (and rightfully so, every actor has BECOME those characters now, and Ted is Ray McKinnon's dad!) that next season will have to take place in Paulie.

Plus I don't think the show has quite the budget to do "On the Road by Daniel Holden" though holy poo poo that would be loving good. Maybe season 5 can be that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Right now, I'm figuring that the Sheriff will arrange to have Daniel's exile suspended in order to keep him on hand as a key witness.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amantha becoming manager of a Thrifty Town is incredibly depressing, and I think is meant to mirror Daniel's imprisonment and how he just accepted it, like she is accepting it.

e: To expand: as someone who has sometimes ended up living in poo poo-hole, nowhere, nothing Southern towns, I can say with all honesty that nobody has to live in them. Relocating, even just an hour or two away, is always possible. But those towns are full of people who have created reasons to stay. Some of them are good reasons, like Ted and Janet's happy, calm life. But some of them are artificial reasons, like Tawney's, and it's interesting that she's coming into her potential just as Amantha is shrinking away from hers.

precision fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 9, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think it's so much that the Senator has been pursuing the wrong man the entire time, although that is a big part of it--it's that he seems to have a chip on his shoulder for Daniel and seems to KNOW that Daniel is innocent because he's started to be pretty overtly slimy in the vein of Trey. He knows Daniel is innocent but for some reason hates him, or at least it's a huge inconvenience to him that he helped put a man behind bars 20 years ago and now he might have been wrong, and we can't have that because he's a senator goddammit and he's up for reelection. He is almost sort of boasting while trying to hide something, which, as wrong an analogy as it probably is, reminds me of Danny Glover in Shooter, whose I'm-Obviously-Guilty-As-gently caress-Of-Everything-But-I-Know-You-Can't-Prove-poo poo attitude toward the end was really telling. I could cut and paste that attitude and it'd fit perfectly on the senator, so I also saw the stroke scene as a kind of comeuppance, and it fits well as a plot device to make us feel even more like Daniel is innocent and the senator knows it. The show is nudging us along to come to that conclusion without ever really intending to directly give it to us, and that's the beauty of Rectify.

Also, it also could have served a dual purpose of letting Michael O'Neill end his run on the show and move on, while also taking his character out of play in a way that works organically with the plot and makes sense.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

life is killing me posted:

I don't think it's so much that the Senator has been pursuing the wrong man the entire time, although that is a big part of it--it's that he seems to have a chip on his shoulder for Daniel and seems to KNOW that Daniel is innocent because he's started to be pretty overtly slimy in the vein of Trey. He knows Daniel is innocent but for some reason hates him, or at least it's a huge inconvenience to him that he helped put a man behind bars 20 years ago and now he might have been wrong, and we can't have that because he's a senator goddammit and he's up for reelection. He is almost sort of boasting while trying to hide something, which, as wrong an analogy as it probably is, reminds me of Danny Glover in Shooter, whose I'm-Obviously-Guilty-As-gently caress-Of-Everything-But-I-Know-You-Can't-Prove-poo poo attitude toward the end was really telling. I could cut and paste that attitude and it'd fit perfectly on the senator, so I also saw the stroke scene as a kind of comeuppance, and it fits well as a plot device to make us feel even more like Daniel is innocent and the senator knows it. The show is nudging us along to come to that conclusion without ever really intending to directly give it to us, and that's the beauty of Rectify.

Also, it also could have served a dual purpose of letting Michael O'Neill end his run on the show and move on, while also taking his character out of play in a way that works organically with the plot and makes sense.

See, as much as he's a highly unethical human being, I'm increasingly sure that Foulkes genuinely thinks Daniel is guilty. I mean he gave a whole speech to Ted Sr. towards the end of the last season that as much as it's politically damaging for him for Daniel to walk free, he truly believes Daniel is responsible for Hanna's murder. That would be a bit late in the series for Foulkes to simply state the opposite of how he really feels, and I don't think he's ever even been seen to so much as countenance the idea that Daniel's not guilty, regardless of who he's dealing with. If anything he really needs other people to see things with the same prejudice he does, which is what started to drive away his mistress at the diner. I do fully agree that he's covering for some sort of compromising personal investment in the case that we still haven't heard about, but it's an emotional one, not a cynical one.

Partly he's just blinded by how alien Daniel's personality and actions are to him: he seems sincerely to have taken stuff like his placing wildflowers on the body as a perversion and even decided that the near-death beating he took constituted "letting a man piss on him". Beyond that, at the risk of it sounding hackneyed I'd presume he's either the father of Hanna or was sexually involved with Hanna (or both, if the show wants to dive deep into Faulkner territory, although I doubt it). Or of course he could have a reason to deny the possibility of guilt of one of the other suspects, like Trey or Chris.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GimpChimp posted:

See, as much as he's a highly unethical human being, I'm increasingly sure that Foulkes genuinely thinks Daniel is guilty. I mean he gave a whole speech to Ted Sr. towards the end of the last season that as much as it's politically damaging for him for Daniel to walk free, he truly believes Daniel is responsible for Hanna's murder. That would be a bit late in the series for Foulkes to simply state the opposite of how he really feels, and I don't think he's ever even been seen to so much as countenance the idea that Daniel's not guilty, regardless of who he's dealing with. If anything he really needs other people to see things with the same prejudice he does, which is what started to drive away his mistress at the diner. I do fully agree that he's covering for some sort of compromising personal investment in the case that we still haven't heard about, but it's an emotional one, not a cynical one.

Partly he's just blinded by how alien Daniel's personality and actions are to him: he seems sincerely to have taken stuff like his placing wildflowers on the body as a perversion and even decided that the near-death beating he took constituted "letting a man piss on him". Beyond that, at the risk of it sounding hackneyed I'd presume he's either the father of Hanna or was sexually involved with Hanna (or both, if the show wants to dive deep into Faulkner territory, although I doubt it). Or of course he could have a reason to deny the possibility of guilt of one of the other suspects, like Trey or Chris.

I mean, I'm definitely not going to insinuate that Foulkes was responsible for the murder (though that'd fit right in with TVIV these days), but I certainly do believe he was involved in some way. And I stand by my belief that he knows Daniel is innocent just because of the way he's been acting, and because like I said above, I think he was involved in the murder and thus that's why he knows Daniel is innocent. As far as him saying to Ted Sr. that he really believes Daniel is guilty, I could easily see him saying that to save face in Paulie after the evidence that freed Daniel came to light. I mean, who knows, but to me, he's been on an anti-Daniel slant the entire run of the show, to the point that it seems pretty clear-cut in my mind that it's more that he's got to put SOMEONE behind bars for it, SOMEONE has to be responsible. And in his involvement with pressuring young Daniel into a confession--it just really feels like he knows Daniel didn't do it, but since Daniel was the one that confessed (albeit, as we might surmise, falsely and under duress), and they had and still have no other leads, Daniel is the unfortunate patsy for the senator to save face. They have to have someone to blame, and since Daniel was involved and was a "disturbed youth," then he's the obvious choice as opposed to an upstanding political figure who can't have anyone know he himself was involved.

Just classic pin-it-on-someone-else. Daniel was a "disturbed youth," had no future, and you'll never become a senator when you're connected to a murder yourself, as yet unbeknownst to anyone else.

e: I do think you're onto something with Daniel's mannerisms and awkwardness, which ties in with the whole disturbed young man scenario. The whole time you hear Foulkes and initially the sheriff refer to Daniel as just a really weird dude, you could see him doing something like that, etc. To a senator from the South, with the Bible and church culture down here, anything Daniel did as a boy and anything he does now is bound to be seen as weird, disturbing and off-kilter, even when in reality it's not--it's just a bunch of good ol' boys who are the real problem, who live in the past and have little idea about how the world actually works outside their small-town religious shell. They are looking at Daniel through the lens of their values, and Daniel never fit into their mold. So, he had to be the murderer.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 11, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having lived in the South I can assure you that carrying yourself with the mannerisms of a person like Daniel Holden is seen, at best, as problematic. It's almost as if people you talk to can't even conceive of their own existence, which to me is horrifying. [beat] But what do I know. Maybe I'm just... grasping at shadows on a wall. Y'know?

e: new thread rule until the finale you can only type in daniel holden voice

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

precision posted:

e: new thread rule until the finale you can only type in daniel holden voice

I feel like these new rules are, well... arbitrary. And while it would seem to be some term of endearment, I like to think of it as a furthering of my past confinements.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well friends, a week has passed, and I can't say it hasn't been... eventful, in the literal sense. Full of... events. Some of them were honestly quite expected, while some came... unannounced. Not necessarily unwanted, just... sudden. But I guess that's how things work, on the outside... I'm not sure what will happen tonight, but I'm ready to see it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Has it now been implied that BIG SPOILER Trey raped Hannah but Daniel really did murder her at a later time in the night? Or could someone other than Daniel have done it? What is the Senator's role in this? A lot was said and I want to make sure I piece together everything correctly, and it seems to me like there are a lot of unanswered questions still -- Daniel seems to have been set up or something, but, again, it's also possible that he really did it.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 14, 2015

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
OK so that finale was perfect loving television. May Frog strike me down if I don't speak the truth!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah, that was an essentially flawless season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Has it now been implied that BIG SPOILER Trey raped Hannah but Daniel really did murder her at a later time in the night? Or could someone other than Daniel have done it? What is the Senator's role in this? A lot was said and I want to make sure I piece together everything correctly, and it seems to me like there are a lot of unanswered questions still -- Daniel seems to have been set up or something, but, again, it's also possible that he really did it.

The Sheriff strongly hinted that he thinks Trey killed Hanna.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This show has easily cemented itself as one of the best ever made. Absolutely incredible TV.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This show has easily cemented itself as one of the best ever made. Absolutely incredible TV.

I'm going to love when Trey goes to prison for a murder he didn't commit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jon declaring war on the senator was a great scene that I wasn't expecting.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Lycus posted:

The Sheriff strongly hinted that he thinks Trey killed Hanna.

But Chris said that Trey came to his house the next morning telling him to unite if Hannah told anyone the truth, which means Trey didn't know she was dead.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

But Chris said that Trey came to his house the next morning telling him to unite if Hannah told anyone the truth, which means Trey didn't know she was dead.

That's what Chris said, but I don't think the Sheriff necessarily believed it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 14, 2015

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah, the new details about the rape/murder that emerged in this episode honestly made me lean toward Daniel as the killer. I think Chris was telling the truth in the interview as well.

It's important to remember that George really did kill himself, so Jon and the Sheriff are building their theories on an incorrect assumption that he was murdered to cover up Hannah's murder.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Lycus posted:

Gotcha. So this is kind of an interesting case. Trey's DNA/sperm has been cleared, but he's obviously hiding something pretty big.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, the new details about the rape/murder that emerged in this episode honestly made me lean toward Daniel as the killer. I think Chris was telling the truth in the interview as well.

It's important to remember that George really did kill himself, so Jon and the Sheriff are building their theories on an incorrect assumption that he was murdered to cover up Hannah's murder.

Exactly. Trey seems he's hiding something but it would be too obvious. The Senator is covering up something, too. There's something bigger here, it was just really unsettling to think that it really is possible Daniel killed her based on the information we have. Trey didn't kill George, but he had influence over him not saying what really happened.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also Tawnee asking Teddy to change the locks was really cold and heartbreaking.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Trey didn't kill George, but he did try to cover up his suicide for two seasons, the tried to frame Daniel for his death. Would he do all that to conceal a rape he couldn't be charged with?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Lycus posted:

Trey didn't kill George, but he did try to cover up his suicide for two seasons, the tried to frame Daniel for his death. Would he do all that to conceal a rape he couldn't be charged with?

Right, he's trying to frame Daniel and throw everyone off his scent.
'
Another weird detail is Hannah's "I won't tell you if you don't tell." I think maybe a hosed-up detail of the case could be that Hannah's gang-rape was actually consensual, and she knew Daniel had feelings for her so she didn't want him to know.

Maybe Daniel figured it out and killed her in a rage? Maybe Trey did kill her to try to frame Daniel for some reason? Maybe the Senator had a big grudge to hold against Daniel and orchestrated things/paid off Trey to set him up/I don't know this is really hosed up to think about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think maybe a hosed-up detail of the case could be that Hannah's gang-rape was actually consensual, and she knew Daniel had feelings for her so she didn't want him to know.

Also everyone involved was high as gently caress on mushrooms so any sexual act would be legally defined as "rape" even if the people involved don't remember exactly what happened or remembered consenting. Like, if it happened today, the guys involved could claim they were raped. Depending on your opinions about sex while your mind is perceiving infinite dimensions, it's reasonable to hold the view that it's impossible to (legally) consent in that state.

drat fine finale, and now I just gotta wonder where next season is going? Lawyer vs. Senator, for sure, and Sheriff "I Smell Bullshit" having more investigating to do, but will they really have Daniel be isolated in his own city and story? That seems very unlikely, so I'm assuming he'll be court ordered to return as a witness in an ongoing murder trial, like I said earlier.

Lycus posted:

What I think happened is that even back then Trey was a slimy dude and he went and told Chris that because he did know Hannah was dead (whether he killed her or not) so that later he could say "I didn't know she was dead, just ask my buddy Chris".

precision fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2015

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Also Tawnee asking Teddy to change the locks was really cold and heartbreaking.

This scene and the rain frog one slayed me. The latter because of the callback to one of the best scenes the show had back in season 1.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think this thread has a resident gifmaker, but the fritters scene was gifable.

precision posted:

What I think happened is that even back then Trey was a slimy dude and he went and told Chris that because he did know Hannah was dead (whether he killed her or not) so that later he could say "I didn't know she was dead, just ask my buddy Chris".

Yeah, that's likely true.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Right, he's trying to frame Daniel and throw everyone off his scent.
'
Another weird detail is Hannah's "I won't tell you if you don't tell." I think maybe a hosed-up detail of the case could be that Hannah's gang-rape was actually consensual, and she knew Daniel had feelings for her so she didn't want him to know.

Maybe Daniel figured it out and killed her in a rage? Maybe Trey did kill her to try to frame Daniel for some reason? Maybe the Senator had a big grudge to hold against Daniel and orchestrated things/paid off Trey to set him up/I don't know this is really hosed up to think about.

Chris seemed pretty confident that he was guilty of rape. According to Trey, Hanna lost her virginity to an uncle of hers when she was 13, so I suspect her muted reaction was more to do with being so inured to sexual abuse that she lost her sense of victimhood. Which is plenty hosed up. My take is Hanna liked Daniel because he didn't know about / judge her by her sexual history and wanted to keep it from him; if Daniel actually did kill her, it was probably misinterpreting what actually went on that night as consensual, because he wouldn't understand why she'd be more embarrassed and evasive than upset. Although obviously as a viewer I hope he's not responsible.

• Locked thread