Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Wetherspoon's would be better. I had lunch at Wetherspoon's today with my parents and you know what? It was drat good.

I'm afraid I just don't believe you. (The good part, that is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I went to Yauatcha's City location on Friday for my birthday. I believe the Soho location is the Michelin-starred one, but the menus are identical and Soho was almost completely booked out on Friday, so no big deal.

Honestly, probably the best Chinese food I've ever had, if a tad pricey. We went with the "signature dim sum menu" @ £45 each + a £34 bottle of wine. I'm not that great with seafood and fish, but I wolfed down everything they brought out. If you're looking to splash out on somewhere for a special occasion, you could do much worse. Next time I would probably order a la carte, however. Crispy duck is insanely delicious.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vlex posted:

I went to Yauatcha's City location on Friday for my birthday. I believe the Soho location is the Michelin-starred one, but the menus are identical and Soho was almost completely booked out on Friday, so no big deal.

Honestly, probably the best Chinese food I've ever had, if a tad pricey. We went with the "signature dim sum menu" @ £45 each + a £34 bottle of wine. I'm not that great with seafood and fish, but I wolfed down everything they brought out. If you're looking to splash out on somewhere for a special occasion, you could do much worse. Next time I would probably order a la carte, however. Crispy duck is insanely delicious.

Haven't been to Yauatcha for ages but it was really good. That and Hakkasan are sexy restaurants. Good for dates!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Okay, are there any good places in and around Stratford City? My date is a tad fussy, but so long as the place isn't exclusively seafood it's probably fine.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My wife and I are going to be vacationing in London near Covent Garden for a week in early September, we got reservations at The Ledbury, Dinner by Heston, and St. John. Looking for a good Indian place and possibly Chinese. Not outrageously expensive is preferably since those first three places are going to wipe most of the dining budget. Are there any other can't-miss places?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If you're in Covent Garden, you're five minutes from Chinatown and have to try really hard to find a bad Chinese restaurant there. Personally I'd recommend New World for dim sum. They come around with little carts and it's all really good.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
For South Indian, I can vouch for Rasa on Dering St (near Bond St tube) and Malabar Junction just north in Bloomsbury.

Trip report: the lunch menu (3 courses for £22) at Almieda in Angel today - really nice. Large selection of wine by the carafe. Quiet during the week too.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 28, 2015

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
You've got some good suggestions already. I'd also add Dishoom to that list for good Indian food. http://www.dishoom.com/covent-garden/

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Also Tayyabs or Needos in Whitechapel for good, cheap Punjabi food.

Dishoom is good but you can't book unless you're in a large group so you might want to consider what time you go - it's better for brunch than dinner.

If your budget can handle it, Hakkasan (off Tottenham Court Road) is a Michelin-starred Chinese place that'll give you a different experience to Chinatown. The set menus aren't too badly priced if you avoid the wine menu.

kim jong-illin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 28, 2015

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks for the recommendations. We had looked at Dishoom and it's good to know that it's better for brunch, as we need some lunch places. What are the menu highlights?

The weird thing about Hakkasan is it looks like their signature menus are only for parties of three or more except for the vegetarian one. Am I missing something there?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Are you looking at the menu for Hakkasan Hanaway Place? All the signature menus there are designed for sharing between 2 or more people. They're what myself and my partner go for when we visit.

Keema per eedu, egg naan roll, and the big Bombay are the best things from Dishoom's menu.

Other breakfast/brunch suggestions - Long White Cloud in Hoxton, Counter Cafe in Hackney Wick (my personal recommendation - the vegetarian breakfast is stunning), Workshop in Clerkenwell (their Aeropressed coffee is outstanding, the French toast fantastic), St John in Spitalfields (just get a bacon sandwich, they do insane things to pigs), Caravan in Exmouth Market, and Kopapa in Seven Dials (pricer than all the other recommendations)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

Are you looking at the menu for Hakkasan Hanaway Place? All the signature menus there are designed for sharing between 2 or more people. They're what myself and my partner go for when we visit.

Keema per eedu, egg naan roll, and the big Bombay are the best things from Dishoom's menu.

Other breakfast/brunch suggestions - Long White Cloud in Hoxton, Counter Cafe in Hackney Wick (my personal recommendation - the vegetarian breakfast is stunning), Workshop in Clerkenwell (their Aeropressed coffee is outstanding, the French toast fantastic), St John in Spitalfields (just get a bacon sandwich, they do insane things to pigs), Caravan in Exmouth Market, and Kopapa in Seven Dials (pricer than all the other recommendations)

Ah, I was looking at Mayfair. Yeah Hakkasan doesn't seem too bad if you get everything they list on those signature menus. And thank you for all the breakfast recommendations, that's fantastic.

Also meant to ask, have any of you all been to A. Wong? That was one we were looking at as an alternative to Hakkasan or Yauatcha.

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 28, 2015

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Kopapa is brilliant - you may need to book a table unless you walk in at an odd time. I had a bad meal at Dishoom covent garden and wouldn't go back but I've heard good stories from the other branches. Fernandez & Wells on Denmark St is good for a light breakfast or lunch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My ex and I walked into Kopapa off the street one Sunday morning no problem. I think we just beat the rush though.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Where can me and the girlfriend go for a good steak in a nice place without me spending £150 for the pair of us in gaucho again?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

Ah, I was looking at Mayfair. Yeah Hakkasan doesn't seem too bad if you get everything they list on those signature menus. And thank you for all the breakfast recommendations, that's fantastic.

Also meant to ask, have any of you all been to A. Wong? That was one we were looking at as an alternative to Hakkasan or Yauatcha.

A Wong is wonderful, but if you want dim sum and cocktails specifically you are better of at Hakkasan as these are not their special area. Alternatively, if you like more general dishes I would plump for HK Kitchen over Hakkasan. Its the same restaurant group, but more fine dineingsy.

Edit: Skip Yautcha over either of the other two. Hakkasan has similar fancy puddings if that's what attracted you, Yautcha has really poor service these days and they will try to charge you for the expensive wine they gave to another table. I would say it's the worst service I've had in the UK, but I went to Bibendum earlier this year so Yautcha sits at no. 2 now.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 29, 2015

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Ahdinko posted:

Where can me and the girlfriend go for a good steak in a nice place without me spending £150 for the pair of us in gaucho again?

Hawksmoor.

Alternatively, your own house - steak is the most overpriced thing ever.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Ahdinko posted:

http://www.hillandszrok.co.uk/

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Kaiho posted:

Alternatively, your own house - steak is the most overpriced thing ever.

This. Cooking steak has to be one of the most rewarding things to do in the kitchen.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Thanks guys, I'm no stranger to getting and cooking a nice steak but we're out in London for a day soon and wanted to go somewhere nice. I think we'll go Hawksmoor, the communal table thing at Hill & Szrok will weird her out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ahdinko posted:

Thanks guys, I'm no stranger to getting and cooking a nice steak but we're out in London for a day soon and wanted to go somewhere nice. I think we'll go Hawksmoor, the communal table thing at Hill & Szrok will weird her out.

Flatiron does decent steak, reasonably priced. It's all they do, really, with fries or salad.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

therattle posted:

Flatiron does decent steak, reasonably priced. It's all they do, really, with fries or salad.

They had a 2 hour queue last night when we turned up at 7:30pm. Then we went to Pizza Pilgrim up the road, and had the longest wait and worst service ever.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've heard good things about Garufin for steak but haven't been myself yet.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

therattle posted:

drat yeah a tenner for a steak is really good if its tasty

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Ahdinko posted:

drat yeah a tenner for a steak is really good if its tasty

Can confirm, it is really tasty. However you'll either be faced with a long wait or communal tables depending on which branch you go to.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Which is which? I want to try and skip the communal table deal, but their website doesnt really say anything other than "here is a picture of a meat cleaver and some chopped meat, thanks"

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
You can't book at either of them, Beak Street has communal tables, Denmark Street doesn't, they're both stupidly busy unless you go outside of peak meal times.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
According to tripadvisor they do a thing where you can pop over, sign in and then go off and have some drinks elsewhere and they'll text you when your table is ready. I'll check out Denmark Street or that argentine place, thanks :)

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 29, 2015

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ahdinko posted:

There's seats round the outside if you don't want to sit at the big butchers block

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Went to Tayyabs last night, which was both lovely and cheap as usual, but never go without booking. We had one and it still took them half an hour to sit us down while the staff ran around trying to get the people without reservations to form an orderly queue. :(

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I've only been to Needoo, but I went there specifically because I read that it is the same food as Tayyab's but less busy. It was still very busy but we got in after about 15 minutes with no reservation. Some team of drunk salespeople who were pounding cans of Foster's kept hitting my girlfriend's chair but I think that comes with the territory.

This was on a Wednesday in early March at about 7:00pm.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I've only been to Needoo, but I went there specifically because I read that it is the same food as Tayyab's but less busy. It was still very busy but we got in after about 15 minutes with no reservation. Some team of drunk salespeople who were pounding cans of Foster's kept hitting my girlfriend's chair but I think that comes with the territory.

This was on a Wednesday in early March at about 7:00pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4LHLM4WIw0

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Ahdinko posted:

Mondays at Comedor in Islington. 50% off already reasonably priced steaks.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
There seem to be some decent offers around due to the tube strike. I would highly recommend Opera Tavern and their sister restaurants, half price is a steal! No idea if they have tables available. Last time I went to Opera Tavern it was no reservations so you might be able to still just turn up tomorrow.

http://www.hot-dinners.com/Gastroblog/Latest-news/take-advantage-of-the-tube-strike-to-grab-a-seat-at-london-s-best-restaurants

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Brunched at Modern Pantry today, the best brunch in recent memory for sure. Also excited to hear they're opening a sort of tapas style place next month.

Had lunch at Chick N Sours in Dalston yesterday and holy poo poo it was good. The chicken was the best I've ever had but they serve this picked watermelon rind that I actually cannot stop thinking about. Must go back ASAP.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Brunched at Modern Pantry today, the best brunch in recent memory for sure. Also excited to hear they're opening a sort of tapas style place next month.

Had lunch at Chick N Sours in Dalston yesterday and holy poo poo it was good. The chicken was the best I've ever had but they serve this picked watermelon rind that I actually cannot stop thinking about. Must go back ASAP.

Noooo OP noooooo! I went there twice in the first two weeks of opening and still had to queue up before opening time. Don't tell people about it or I'll never get to go back!

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Noooo OP noooooo! I went there twice in the first two weeks of opening and still had to queue up before opening time. Don't tell people about it or I'll never get to go back!
It's just excellent. And I don't even like fried chicken.

I;ve walked and have gotten a table no problem. To be fair I've only been there late, after 21.30.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
More of a drinks/pub request than food but anyone have a favourite pub (yes I know there's loads) around central (or east) for a birthday? It's my girlfriends 30th in 3 months and I'm trying to find a good pub to reserve an area for 20-30 people (want to get something booked ahead of any Christmas parties)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Filthee Fingas posted:

More of a drinks/pub request than food but anyone have a favourite pub (yes I know there's loads) around central (or east) for a birthday? It's my girlfriends 30th in 3 months and I'm trying to find a good pub to reserve an area for 20-30 people (want to get something booked ahead of any Christmas parties)

Pubs with loads of space that will book areas and I've never had to pay to book:

The Three Johns, Angel
The Hop and Berry, Angel
Harrild and Sons, City Thameslink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
I had a nice area in The Swan At The Globe for a birthday. They did nice pizzas great for sharing round a big group.