Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

WobblySausage posted:

Yeah. Just Chrome with a couple tabs and HWMonitor running.

The core of this rig is about six years old now. Could it be TIM degradation or a loose heatsink maybe? I haven't touched the thermal paste since I initially installed my CPU. I want to pass this down to a relative while getting an upgrade, but not if it's unsafe.

Try repasting it, it can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Try repasting it, it can't hurt.

Alright will do.

Under load (FFXIV Arr Benchmark) it's still reaching the 100ºc mark with automatic fan settings. Oddly the motherboard temperature went down under load, so I'm guessing that's an incorrect reading. Hopefully I can just repaste this and get it within acceptable range. If that doesn't work then maybe I'll just see if I can underclock it to make sure it's safe. Non-power user non-gamer so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the help.

vv: Alright I'm picking up some GC-Extreme paste. Here's hoping.

WobblySausage fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 8, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

WobblySausage posted:

Yeah. Just Chrome with a couple tabs and HWMonitor running.

The core of this rig is about six years old now. Could it be TIM degradation or a loose heatsink maybe? I haven't touched the thermal paste since I initially installed my CPU. I want to pass this down to a relative while getting an upgrade, but not if it's unsafe.

When my 4 year old 2500k + H100 started getting load temps of 90c I replaced the H100's old stock baked on thermal paste with some Ceramique 2 and my temps dropped 20c.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yeah, the motherboard temperature is a misreading. (2^8 - 1 degrees Fahrenheit is not a coincidence.)

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

WobblySausage posted:

Don't mean to call you out but how would you rate your own thermal paste job? There are many youtube videos out there showing how to do it properly (pea in the middle unless you know where the core is, if so string works too). I'm running on 4 years on my SB-system; I can't remember how I put thermal paste but I probably did it terribly wrong - yet my temps doing a prime95 just now is is around 75ish degrees - and the air circulation in my chassis is sub-par. Non-stock cooler though. Point is, your thermal paste-job is probably the biggest factor in keeping your processor cool.

Oh and it will never be "unsafe". The worst thing that will happen, should your processor think "it's getting a bit hot in here ..." is that it'll throttle itself down to a safer speed. We're past the AMD Athlon-frying-itself-days.

Edit: There was one more page :downs:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
While bad paste jobs are common*, some pastes do dry out and become less efficient over time.

*unless you follow a professional companies How To video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I spent a few hours today researching what 6700k overclocking would mean with my current cooling fan and selecting a new motherboard and RAM kit.

Then I went to add the 6700k to my cart and found out that NewEgg doesn't have them in stock yet. :downs: I guess I should have checked that part out first instead of assuming all of the reviews meant it was available already.

In any case, the ASUS Z170-A seems like a good choice of motherboard.

I'm planning to upgrade from a 2600k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ak Gara posted:

While bad paste jobs are common*, some pastes do dry out and become less efficient over time.

*unless you follow a professional companies How To video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

:catstare:

They're joking, right? This is a parody?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Inverness posted:

I spent a few hours today researching what 6700k overclocking would mean with my current cooling fan and selecting a new motherboard and RAM kit.

Then I went to add the 6700k to my cart and found out that NewEgg doesn't have them in stock yet. :downs: I guess I should have checked that part out first instead of assuming all of the reviews meant it was available already.

In any case, the ASUS Z170-A seems like a good choice of motherboard.

I'm planning to upgrade from a 2600k.

Just so you know the 4790k with a decent cooler(say a CRYORIG H7 or be quiet! PURE ROCK), a good H97 motherboard (because the overclocking gains are dismal) and your old RAM would be way, way cheaper and about as fast, maybe a little faster. The 6700k OCs even worse than the 4790k, the motherboards are pretty expensive right now and so is the RAM.

Twerk from Home posted:

Nope, MSI put that video up then pulled it down fairly quickly but that guy managed to save it and reuploaded it.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I'm disappointed. Not only by Skylake, but also the quality of that Anandtech review.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Twerk from Home posted:

Lol I always thought it just goes to show that sperging over paste application has never been really fruitful... not that I'd ever do that poo poo. I've seen plenty of factory applied pasting that was downright worse than that (GPU's) although I'll go ahead and say that matters far more than the cpu

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just so you know the 4790k with a decent cooler(say a CRYORIG H7 or be quiet! PURE ROCK), a good H97 motherboard (because the overclocking gains are dismal) and your old RAM would be way, way cheaper and about as fast, maybe a little faster. The 6700k OCs even worse than the 4790k, the motherboards are pretty expensive right now and so is the RAM.
Thanks for the suggestion, but my intent is to move up to the latest generation. Upgrading to a motherboard with LGA1151 and DDR4 RAM support gives me better options for future CPU upgrades. While I might upgrade the CPU sooner if Intel makes some large performance gain, I want a new motherboard and RAM set to be good for another 4 years.

And while I did a some overclocking research, it's not something I care too much about. Overclocking the 6700k to 4.6 or 4.7 GHz would be fine for me. I'm also not in a position where I really need to overclock my CPU, so if my current cooling setup doesn't work well for that then I won't bother.

For reference, what I'm buying to go with the 6700K:
ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15Q-32GRR

And my current cooling fan that I'll continue to use:
XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler

Assuming the CPU is $350, that's a $750 purchase all together. I'm fine with the expense.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 9, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Inverness posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but my intent is to move up to the latest generation. Upgrading to a motherboard with LGA1151 and DDR4 RAM support gives me better options for future CPU upgrades. While I might upgrade the CPU sooner if Intel makes some large performance gain, I want a new motherboard and RAM set to be good for another 4 years.

And while I did a some overclocking research, it's not something I care too much about. Overclocking the 6700k to 4.6 or 4.7 GHz would be fine for me. I'm also not in a position where I really need to overclock my CPU, so if my current cooling setup doesn't work well for that then I won't bother.

For reference, what I'm buying to go with the 6700K:
ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15Q-32GRR

And my current cooling fan that I'll continue to use:
XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler

Assuming the CPU is $350, that's a $750 purchase all together. I'm fine with the expense.

I'd cut the RAM to 16GB, unless you need to do something that eats up gobs of RAM like photoshop on huge images or video editing 16GB will be more than enough, plus you can always grab another 16GB later on if it isn't enough. Also, buy a better cooler, the CRYORIG H7 or be quiet! PURE ROCK are only $35 and $30 respectively and will keep your CPU temps down so the new processor does not throttle itself and it will also be much quieter than something with a 92mm fan, you're already looking to spend a lot so a decent cooler just makes sense.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

frunksock posted:

I'm disappointed. Not only by Skylake, but also the quality of that Anandtech review.

It's been garbage ever since Anand Shimpi left for Apple, and I'm sure it's only going to get worse. Too bad.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

That reminds me, what was the hot new PC tech magazine that popped up in the late '90s or early '00s and featured Anand and people along the lines of him or John Romero for guest columns? I definitely subscribed to that one for a while.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd cut the RAM to 16GB, unless you need to do something that eats up gobs of RAM like photoshop on huge images or video editing 16GB will be more than enough, plus you can always grab another 16GB later on if it isn't enough. Also, buy a better cooler, the CRYORIG H7 or be quiet! PURE ROCK are only $35 and $30 respectively and will keep your CPU temps down so the new processor does not throttle itself and it will also be much quieter than something with a 92mm fan, you're already looking to spend a lot so a decent cooler just makes sense.
When thinking it over some more, you're right that 16GB is plenty for my needs. It's $100 cheaper for the 16GB 2666 kit too.

The Cryorig cooler looks very nice. I'll go with that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Xeon E3 branding coming to mobile parts, sounds like TB3 will be required:
http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2015/08/bringing-intel-xeon-to-notebook-pcs/

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

It's been garbage ever since Anand Shimpi left for Apple, and I'm sure it's only going to get worse. Too bad.

If you ask me their reviews have been subpar for at least the past 5 years...Their saving grace is their chip architecture analysis which provides a good read but ultimately irrelevant to buying decisions.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Can a NVMe SSD such as the Intel 750 be booted directly from the CPU PCI-E channels? Or does it need to go through the PCH

e: on the Z170 mobos

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

japtor posted:

does 'portable workstation' mean those 2 inch thick dell business monstrosities

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

japtor posted:

This would be great for a low power server at home.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

does 'portable workstation' mean those 2 inch thick dell business monstrosities
I think the point of this is that they won't have to be 2 inches thick

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Just to show how lame the 6600K is: http://www.sweclockers.com/test/20862-intel-core-i7-6700k-och-i5-6600k-skylake/14#content

DA:I - 6700K a whopping ~41% faster in minimum FPS
Witcher 3 - Couldn't beat a 2600K 4 years ago
Skyrim - 6700K ~28% faster in minimum FPS

"Overclock i5 or GTFO" and "i7/HT is useless for gaming" are myths that reeeeally needs to die right now. The idea of buying a $150+ Z170 board to overclock an i5 is frankly stupid.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 9, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

dud root posted:

Can a NVMe SSD such as the Intel 750 be booted directly from the CPU PCI-E channels? Or does it need to go through the PCH

I am also curious about this and would also be interested in seeing some benchmarks for it configured both ways.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Palladium posted:

Just to show how lame the 6600K is: http://www.sweclockers.com/test/20862-intel-core-i7-6700k-och-i5-6600k-skylake/14#content

"Overclock i5 or GTFO" and "i7/HT is useless for gaming" are myths that reeeeally needs to die right now. The idea of buying a $150+ Z170 board to overclock an i5 is frankly stupid.

As someone who has never played Skyrim, is it really even worth using as a benchmark anymore? I know people add mods that make it use a quadrillion more gigs of ram or some such, but is it really that taxing on modern hardware? I mean, an 8370 doesn't drop below 100 fps.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you can still make Skyrim eat up every little bit of GPU you can throw at it but I'm not sure its a good idea to include it in CPU benchmarks

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dud root posted:

Probably depends on which PCIe slot you plug it in to on the motherboard. Usually there's two physical x16 slots connected to CPU lanes and the rest are connected to the PCH.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

go3 posted:

you can still make Skyrim eat up every little bit of GPU you can throw at it but I'm not sure its a good idea to include it in CPU benchmarks

Skyrim's lousy scripting system make it a great CPU torture test.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Palladium posted:

This must be a combination of how high the base clocks on the 4790K / 6700K are, the additional cache, and the hyperthreading. Looks like once again the cheaper H-series chipset + an i7 K is going to be the high-end value point.

Now we just need the H170 motherboards to get here. Do we have an official ETA?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

frunksock posted:

What's wrong with it? Just curious, they seem to still be significantly above average as far as PC hardware review sites go.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Panty Saluter posted:

Skyrim's lousy scripting system make it a great CPU torture test.

How much do you have to have going on for it to really stress stuff out? A friend has been playing hefily-modded Skyrim on an i3 4330 + GTX 750 build, and frankly the CPU doesn't come close to bottlenecking.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

How much do you have to have going on for it to really stress stuff out? A friend has been playing hefily-modded Skyrim on an i3 4330 + GTX 750 build, and frankly the CPU doesn't come close to bottlenecking.
A few really, really bad scripts. An efficient modding setup with SPERG and the like won't tax the first core beyond 50%, but a few bad mods will run into the event cap the first core can handle and the game will inefficiently try to shunt processes to other cores.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Anandtech: "Sandy bridge your time is up"

**Graphs show poor performance in gaming vs sandy bridge, the single deciding factor to upgrade for most people on the 2600K cpus"

I know that the biggest gains you'll get is with video card upgrade, but 25% increase in cpu performance but detectable losses on the graphic benchmarks don't add up to that claim the sandy bridge should be sunsetted.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I was being a little facetious but even a vanilla Skyrim savegame will have a ton of orphaned scripts gumming up the works after a while.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

incoherent posted:

Anandtech: "Sandy bridge your time is up"

**Graphs show poor performance in gaming vs sandy bridge, the single deciding factor to upgrade for most people on the 2600K cpus"

I know that the biggest gains you'll get is with video card upgrade, but 25% increase in cpu performance but detectable losses on the graphic benchmarks don't add up to that claim the sandy bridge should be sunsetted.

Well, of course not. But maybe even they're tired of writing the same conclusions over and over: Sandy Bridge is fine. Which, overclocked, in the case of games and general use, it still is. Which isn't a very exciting conclusion for people who probably get paid in ad revenue based around selling new poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I can't say I've ever had a CPU bottleneck on Skyrim even with some of the more retarded NPC adding scripts going on.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Well, of course not. But maybe even they're tired of writing the same conclusions over and over: Sandy Bridge is fine. Which, overclocked, in the case of games and general use, it still is. Which isn't a very exciting conclusion for people who probably get paid in ad revenue based around selling new poo poo.

I'll probably move to skylake for native usb 3.1 Gen 2, type-c usb, m.2, and maybe thunderbolt but don't sell anyone a load of horse poo poo that the cpu is going to push this decision.

This just means i'll wait for Krabby patty...err Kaby Lake

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

go3 posted:

I can't say I've ever had a CPU bottleneck on Skyrim even with some of the more retarded NPC adding scripts going on.

Unless you have an AMD CPU, in which case you can buy an FX-9590 turbo'ing to 5GHz and burning over 200W, then still fail to match Sandy Bridge that turbos to 3.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yay for awful thermal performance without delidding on Skylake!

If it's such a cost issue as they always say, why was it so viable in the Sandy Bridge days, when Sandy Bridge cost less comparatively than the newer CPUs?

If only they would offer a die with no GPU and the IHS soldered, it would no doubt cost less to produce overall, and be better in every way that matters to someone buying a top-end CPU for the desktop.