Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Race Realists posted:

i ask, how expansive are Subnetting sections on CCNA/P exams? Im finding converting to binary to be relatively simple, but the rest is going to take awhile.

My logic that worked well with no binary conversion:

1) 2 ^ (next full octet CIDR - CIDR) = number of addresses in the octet. /27? 32 - 27 = 5. 2^5 = 32, so a /27 is a 32 IP range. It's imperative that you recognize /32, /24, /16, and /8 as the octet cidrs.

2) Know multiples of 16 between 0 and 256. Use these to easily narrow down the network address an IP belongs to (once these numbers are familiar it's easy to know the multiples of 32 and 8, which gives you multiples of 64 and 4, and so on so you're not wasting time using binary to find, say, 176)

3) write these down during the orientation questions before your test starts for easy reference

So let's say you have 172.168.59.1 /21. 24 - 21 = 3, then 2^3 = 8. You have 8 IP addresses in this octet range. We take the .59 portion and find the closest lowest multiple of 16, which is 48. The next multiple of 8 is 56, our network address. Add another 7 (since we already found the first address) and you have 63. The address range is 172.168.56.0 to 172.168.63.255.

Since most of the math is written down on your paper it takes less than a few seconds to knock this out. This is key for those questions of "which of these 5 addresses are part of this CIDR address?"

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Really appreciate the advice guys. I need it

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
In the real world you can use reference material whenever you want so it's not super important to memorize the tables but you have to know it for the exam.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bigass Moth posted:

In the real world you can use reference material whenever you want so it's not super important to memorize the tables but you have to know it for the exam.
My man that applies to every fact on every cert.

I remember two things from my MCSE: how to open Powershell, and Bitlocker exists. Google the rest.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I had heard Subnetting was on the Net+ 006, so I figured why the hell not?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Race Realists posted:

these CCNA/P Data Center certs seem intriguing to me

anyone here know someone whos taken it or has it?

Im studying 640-911 and there is a LOT of overlap for CCNA. Even though there is overlap it seems to be a simpler "overview" so far.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Race Realists posted:

these CCNA/P Data Center certs seem intriguing to me

anyone here know someone whos taken it or has it?

We have a dude with the CCIE Data Center. He told me that it's a bit easier than other tracks just because it's a new certification track so they haven't had a chance to ratchet it down, yet. Unfortunately, this also means that there's not much in the way of learning materials yet, so it's not as straightforward as cracking open the R&S books and doing labs.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Anyone know if there's a good video series for the VCA6-DCV?

There's loads of 5.5 stuff on CBT Nuggets and the 6 stuff is only half done. Is there another place or should I just wait?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Back on the job hunt again (mass layoff, whole IT dept outsourced) and I'm looking to buff up the resume in the meantime so I'm wondering where to go with certs.

I already have A+ (though its probably waned and needs to be renewed) and prior to getting my last job I was working on my MSCE. I got lazy and content and stopped studying the text after getting my job (bad IT person, BAD! :() and the world has, finally, moved onto Windows 7.

Should I even bother with renewing A+?

Is MSCE still a safe bet? Assuming I focus on Windows 7, also assuming most business are going to stick with 7 as an OS.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. I was a IT Field Tech (janitor on wheels, toot toot) before and I liked it so I'm still looking at the same sort of work, I don't have the highest of aspirations or overblown opinion of my own abilities (I did my job well, everyone got cut :smith:).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Snuffman posted:

Back on the job hunt again (mass layoff, whole IT dept outsourced) and I'm looking to buff up the resume in the meantime so I'm wondering where to go with certs.

I already have A+ (though its probably waned and needs to be renewed) and prior to getting my last job I was working on my MSCE. I got lazy and content and stopped studying the text after getting my job (bad IT person, BAD! :() and the world has, finally, moved onto Windows 7.

Should I even bother with renewing A+?

Is MSCE still a safe bet? Assuming I focus on Windows 7, also assuming most business are going to stick with 7 as an OS.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. I was a IT Field Tech (janitor on wheels, toot toot) before and I liked it so I'm still looking at the same sort of work, I don't have the highest of aspirations or overblown opinion of my own abilities (I did my job well, everyone got cut :smith:).

I wouldn't go for an MCSE in Windows 7 (does that even exist?). The Windows 7 cert is basically considered to be the 70-680 - Windows 7: Configuring. That gets you MCTS, and by virtue of getting any Microsoft cert, MCP. That said, Microsoft exams are pretty overly-difficult for the material, and they'll nail you on things you'll never use in the real world. Also, while I'm sure Windows 7 will be around for a while yet, you are kind of spending some time studying on an OS that's approaching, however far away it is, end-of-life. If you're interested, the 70-680 + 70-685 (another Windows 7 exam) will get you MCSA: Windows 7. Possibly overkill for a field tech position though, and I personally failed the 70-685 exam twice before moving on to other things.

Personally, I wouldn't bother renewing your A+. If you need it to get over any HR walls I'd just say that you have it, and if asked about it in an interview (you almost definitely won't be), explain that you've allowed it to lapse. You could consider Network+ if anything; it's higher-tier than A+, cheaper (as it's only one exam) and you might learn a little studying for it, whereas it sounds like A+ would all just be a boring rehash.

Another cert option at the field tech might be the ITIL, but I've never taken that and have only heard bad things. That said, I see it mentioned in a lot of technician postings.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
ITIL 3.0 is what I have. It is easy, and it is BORING.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to get MCITP: Enterprise Administrator if I already have the MCITP: Server Administrator/MCSA for 2008? MS says it's the four exams as normal, but I upgraded my 2k3 MCSA to get the 2k8 one.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MrBigglesworth posted:

ITIL 3.0 is what I have. It is easy, and it is BORING.

Holy poo poo that can not be said enough. I studied for the foundation cert and it was worth it career wise as it's definitely listed a lot out there but holy poo poo is it boring to study.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Thirteenth Step posted:

Anyone know if there's a good video series for the VCA6-DCV?

There's loads of 5.5 stuff on CBT Nuggets and the 6 stuff is only half done. Is there another place or should I just wait?

Do you mean VCP6-DCV? Because VCA is a whole different kettle of fish, and VMware has an online class you can take for free to get the VCA-DCV cert.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I'd like to play around with a domain environment/AD/Exchange, but I don't have the PC hardware to set that up. Are there any free or reasonably cheap options where I can play with some hosted sandbox?

I really want to move to a Windows system admin job in the next few years as I view it as the next logical step, but am not sure how to truly learn it when I don't have the environment to play around in. I mean I can study and memorize books and watch videos and probably even get an MCSA, but I won't feel I actually know anything until I have hands-on experience.

If the best way to learn it is to build a domain from scratch using the trial version of Windows Server 2012 then I guess I'll save up to build a lab but I was wondering if there were other options.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I wouldn't go for an MCSE in Windows 7 (does that even exist?). The Windows 7 cert is basically considered to be the 70-680 - Windows 7: Configuring. That gets you MCTS, and by virtue of getting any Microsoft cert, MCP. That said, Microsoft exams are pretty overly-difficult for the material, and they'll nail you on things you'll never use in the real world. Also, while I'm sure Windows 7 will be around for a while yet, you are kind of spending some time studying on an OS that's approaching, however far away it is, end-of-life. If you're interested, the 70-680 + 70-685 (another Windows 7 exam) will get you MCSA: Windows 7. Possibly overkill for a field tech position though, and I personally failed the 70-685 exam twice before moving on to other things.

Personally, I wouldn't bother renewing your A+. If you need it to get over any HR walls I'd just say that you have it, and if asked about it in an interview (you almost definitely won't be), explain that you've allowed it to lapse. You could consider Network+ if anything; it's higher-tier than A+, cheaper (as it's only one exam) and you might learn a little studying for it, whereas it sounds like A+ would all just be a boring rehash.

Another cert option at the field tech might be the ITIL, but I've never taken that and have only heard bad things. That said, I see it mentioned in a lot of technician postings.

Doesn't A+ renew if you get N+? I don't know if that is the case if A+ has lapsed though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Meta Ridley posted:

I'd like to play around with a domain environment/AD/Exchange, but I don't have the PC hardware to set that up. Are there any free or reasonably cheap options where I can play with some hosted sandbox?

I really want to move to a Windows system admin job in the next few years as I view it as the next logical step, but am not sure how to truly learn it when I don't have the environment to play around in. I mean I can study and memorize books and watch videos and probably even get an MCSA, but I won't feel I actually know anything until I have hands-on experience.

If the best way to learn it is to build a domain from scratch using the trial version of Windows Server 2012 then I guess I'll save up to build a lab but I was wondering if there were other options.
Hoping by "building a lab" you mean "download VirtualBox and make a few VMs" because there's really no need to purchase individual machines for a lab. At worst you might need to upgrade your personal desktop with some extra RAM/storage. Stop by the home lab thread.

As far as Server 2k12, you might need to buy that. Make sure you don't have access to Microsoft Dreamspark though (typically via a university), because you can get it for free there.

Meta Ridley posted:

Doesn't A+ renew if you get N+? I don't know if that is the case if A+ has lapsed though.

Yeah - A+ renews with a higher-level cert pass (Network+ --> Security+ --> here be dragons (Storage+) ), but only if it is currently valid. If it's expired, it's like you never had it, and getting a higher-level cert doesn't grant you the lower-tier ones.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Meta Ridley posted:

I found out about the Virtual Labs on Technet not long ago: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs

Most of them are set up for pretty specific scenarios (setting up Unified Messaging in Exchange server 2010, etc), but usually have a pretty full-featured virtual environment to dick around with however you want. It was really informative for me as I'd never gotten to use any Windows Server software in person. These two specifically I kept going back to, they let you play with Server 2012 and manage Active Directory and Exchange accounts, stuff like that:
https://vlabs.holsystems.com/vlabs/technet?eng=VLabs&auth=none&src=microsoft.holsystems.com&altadd=true&labid=9829
https://vlabs.holsystems.com/vlabs/technet?eng=VLabs&auth=none&src=microsoft.holsystems.com&altadd=true&labid=10871

You'll probably have to run them in IE though to use the Windows Client, the Web Client is very clunky.

e: Here's a screenshot of what the Server 2012 Lab gives you to work with, there's a Domain Controller, an admin PC running W8, and 3 (virtual)virtual servers. It all runs in a window and can use all the regular key commands when that window has focus

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 11, 2015

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Do you mean VCP6-DCV? Because VCA is a whole different kettle of fish

I was under the impression that the VCA (admin) 'came before' the VCP (professional)? Unless they're totally different independent exams and there's no 'progression'.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

and VMware has an online class you can take for free to get the VCA-DCV cert.

Have you got a link to this?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Ok so I've got ICND2 on Friday and I'm starting to worry that I'm grossly unprepared. I can, from memory, configure a multi-area OSPF and EIGRP network with VTP running on both, connect them with a WAN link of whatever, and make sure HSRP or GLBP is running.

That stuff doesn't really worry me, what freaks me out is the dumb one off questions that I keep getting on practice tests. (What version of SNMP has X feature, etc.)

I'm hitting 75-80% usually, but must have had the perfect question set yesterday because I got 98%. Each time it's a random set of questions from a decently large pool and I don't see any real area that I'm weak in. Any last minute advice?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Thirteenth Step posted:

I was under the impression that the VCA (admin) 'came before' the VCP (professional)? Unless they're totally different independent exams and there's no 'progression'.

Have you got a link to this?

Okay, the VCA is a business level cert and is intended as a broad overview and introduction to virtualization. If you click on the link it takes you to the certification page, and at the bottom it tells you to "Follow the path below to earn your VCA-DCV certification"

The first link is to the self-directed on-line course, which you need to enroll in. Enrollment is free, however I believe the test is something like $125 to take. Prior to taking the test you need to apply for authorization from VMware. Once you get it, you can register at PearsonVue, pay them the test fee, and then take the test online.

Here's the link for the self-directed learning page: https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=det&id_course=189018

I can tell you from experience that the VCP is a huge step up from the VCA - I have VCA-DCV, WM, and Cloud, as well as the VCP5-DCV. The VCA-DCV cert I earned in a single afternoon after watching a video for a couple hours. The VCP5-DCV took a lot longer. Most dedicated people can knock it out in about 3-6 months.

Good luck!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cool; work is sending me to a Server 2012 MCSA bootcamp; no cost / contract commitment here.

Any specific tips to prep in advance? Other than "powershell powershell powershell" which fortunately I use a lot of day-to-day.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MJP posted:

Is there a way to get MCITP: Enterprise Administrator if I already have the MCITP: Server Administrator/MCSA for 2008? MS says it's the four exams as normal, but I upgraded my 2k3 MCSA to get the 2k8 one.

I don't think so any longer. They retired most of the MCITP certifications back in July 2014.
They've pushed everyone to the 2012 track. If it was possible you would have needed to take the 70-643, 70-647, and have one have passed one of the client tests (70-620,680,681)

You can take the 70-417 exam to upgrade your MCSA 2008 to MCSA 2012 in one shot. It's a motherfucker of a test though. After that you can get a MCSE Server Infrastructure by passing the 70-413 and 70-414 which would be the equivalent cert.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

crunk dork posted:

Any last minute advice?

SNMP v1 sucks, v2 is the good one that introduced every new feature, v3 only introduced security measures. SNMP can increase traffic on your network.

Netmon fucks with cpu and can overload your devices. SNMP and logging can not.

Also know your trap orders by name.

Know your route costs by order and number.

Basically if you know the stuff, start thinking about the differences between them because it will help with the answer elimination.

And for the love of God practice spanning tree like it's your only job in the world. These questions can eat up time on the test like no other and if you get frustrated with it you'll start trying to rush through to make up that time.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
That's pretty helpful, I need to definitely work on memorizing those facts so some flash cards are probably in order at this point. Thanks!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Spanning tree, and especially per VLAN spanning tree were my personal bane on the ICND2 fwiw. Agreed with the above poster that you should focus on that if you don't feel comfortable.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've passed the 70-410 but failed 411 multiple times.

Expect questions in the form of:

pre:
You need to perform administrative task x
What command should you use:
[                 ]      [                    ]      [             ]
 Add-TaskProduct           -ServerName Server1        -Reciprocate
 Set-TaskComputer          -ComputerName Server1      -Mirror
 Set-TaskServer            -HostName Server1          -Correspond
 Approve-TaskServer
:suicide:

holy poo poo, seriously? The book I'm using just touches really quick on the powershell commands and the practice tests are all choose a,b,c,d,e. welp..

skipdogg posted:

How much experience do you have with the products? Actual hands on.. in a lab, VM, work, whatever.

The odds of you just reading the books and passing the test are slim to be honest. The books are a good guide, but nothing beats actually doing it.

For example, I've been doing this about a decade, but I just stood up my first Mircrosoft based Enterprise PKI system (ADCS)a few weeks ago. I knew the basics from studying for exams, but the amount I learned by actual doing it, making mistakes, and then fixing those mistakes just can't be replicated by reading.

Well, at work we're still using 2008R2 and earlier and I'm not a system admin so I can't really touch them, they also won't promote or train which is why I'm looking to get some certs and get out of there. I have a ESXi box at home and have played with server 2012 in there for a couple months but no real world experiance. I suppose I'll just sign up for the first one and see how I do. Only $150 and I think they have a free retry if you fail now.

Danith fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 11, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only thing that really pissed me off about STP was studying which features were backwards-compatible with which various version of Spanning Tree. In the end I don't think I actually got a question on that, lol.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

hitachi posted:

I am seriously considering going back to school just to get back in the study mindset. I work a job where I could study for hours almost every day but I am so complacent it makes me feel like poo poo.

This is from last page but you should totally do it. I personally function better at all areas of life when working towards a solid goal like a class or a cert.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alain Post posted:

The only thing that really pissed me off about STP was studying which features were backwards-compatible with which various version of Spanning Tree. In the end I don't think I actually got a question on that, lol.

Yes, there's a lot of study material on rstp. Again, learn the difference between rstp and stp and you'll be fine.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
After re reading the chapter on STP and doing some practice questions over the topic I feel a little better. Still get confused when trying to differentiate between port states and roles. Not really hard I just get mixed up I guess

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

I don't think so any longer. They retired most of the MCITP certifications back in July 2014.
They've pushed everyone to the 2012 track. If it was possible you would have needed to take the 70-643, 70-647, and have one have passed one of the client tests (70-620,680,681)

You can take the 70-417 exam to upgrade your MCSA 2008 to MCSA 2012 in one shot. It's a motherfucker of a test though. After that you can get a MCSE Server Infrastructure by passing the 70-413 and 70-414 which would be the equivalent cert.

I do have the 2012 MCSA, I was just curious if a 2k8-heavy environment at a potential job offer (cross your fingers for me) would merit me getting the equivalent MCSE. I did drop the willingness to complete the MCSE part, so here's hoping.

Danith posted:

holy poo poo, seriously? The book I'm using just touches really quick on the powershell commands and the practice tests are all choose a,b,c,d,e. welp..

The thing about Powershell is that there's only a few verbs in the verb-noun architecture to actually do stuff.

get-computer
remove-computer

I can't recall off the top of my head, but there's a breakdown of the verbs and major nouns in Powershell cmdlets. The rest is knowing syntax, some of the major switches/arguements, etc.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 13, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Derp

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Woo, got my Net+ today, barely passed (771, 720 to pass). Now it's time to think about my specialization. I'll probably just hold off on Sec+ until my current is about to expire unless my job demands it. Might look at CCNA next, got the server and the VM all ready to go for a virtual lab. Fun times ahead!

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Just passed ICND2 by the skin of my teeth... Definitely thought I was going to have to retake it. I don't know what else I could have done to prepare really, it just seemed like a pretty tough exam overall.

The simlets were a lot easier than I thought they would be and probably saved my rear end to be honest!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Nice work I told you it was tough.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

crunk dork posted:

Just passed ICND2 by the skin of my teeth... Definitely thought I was going to have to retake it. I don't know what else I could have done to prepare really, it just seemed like a pretty tough exam overall.

The simlets were a lot easier than I thought they would be and probably saved my rear end to be honest!
Congrats! What'd you use to study?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
CBTNuggets, Lammle book, Transcender and Boson exams, Pearson Vue network simulator, packet tracer, and some GNS3 for stuff that isn't functional in packet tracer. I made sure I understood the questions and was hitting 95%+ consistently on the Transcender tests as a kind of determinant on readiness for the actual exam.

Already have my CCNA security book, but I think I'm going to stop the Cisco stuff for 2 weeks to read Powershell in a Month of Lunches. :rms::unsmigghh:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

Woo, got my Net+ today, barely passed (771, 720 to pass). Now it's time to think about my specialization. I'll probably just hold off on Sec+ until my current is about to expire unless my job demands it. Might look at CCNA next, got the server and the VM all ready to go for a virtual lab. Fun times ahead!

Many congrats. I'm studying myself (off and on, admittedly :smith:). What materials did you use?

Anyway, I'm finding subnetting getting just a little bit easier, especially with the CIDR notation

Summarizing subnets is time consuming as gently caress though

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 14, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

How much submitting did you get on the Net+ exam? That's one of the things I need to work on. I can do it all by hand if needed, its just... yeah really time consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I've been working on starting my SQL certs. Company is starting me off with 70-461 (Querying SQL Server 2012). I've read about 3/4th of the Training Kit (Exam 70-461) Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (MCSA) (Microsoft Press Training Kit) book, but also have Fundamentals of Querying SQL Server. I've been watching the CBT nugget videos for SQL2012. I use it daily in my job so I'm getting a lot of experience there. The company I work for will pay for Transcender practice tests when I'm ready.

Is there anything else I can do to prepare? Everyone on the dev team has taken 70-461 so I've gotten a lot of flash cards and study guides from them, but just don't want to over do it.
I'm planning on taking it in about a month.