Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xerzes posted:

Irish Curse side backbreaker, celtic cross razor's edge, celtic cross end of the trail or whatever the technical term is, white noise was the name one of those got changed to later on, brogue kick big boot, somehow non-texas cloverleaf.

The thing about Sheamus having several move names is that all of them were finishers he used at one point or another. I remember him early on using the Irish Curse as a finisher briefly along with the Cloverleaf, then they decided the Celtic Cross was better for him, then they gave him White Noise during the 'Great White' phase, then later the Brogue became his main and he brought back the Cloverleaf, which at first Michael Cole awkwardly called "The Four Leaf Cloverleaf". So it's not like he just named a bunch of random moves, they just kept changing up his finisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cavauro posted:

What if it was called "randy's knock out", possessive, a maneuver he can do which is capable of knocking someone out. If that were the case would most people here be:

a. more incredulous
b. less incredulous
c. weirdly extra defensive about how they think not enough people come out and say that women can be bad wrestlers too, pretty often
d. #AJAll

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'll be hearing "MOTHAFUCKA" in my dreams tonight.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Shine posted:

"Knight Light" sounds dumb.

Anyway, the PTO would be fine if they'd just call it "The PTO" instead of doing the whole "she calls that the PTO, the Paige Tap Out" bit. It's not like they say "it's the STF, the Stepover Toehold Facelock!" or "The DDT, the dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, but really 'The End'!" Just say the abbreviation and that's the name of the move and that's fine. This is a show about people who lean over to be kicked in the face. Wrestling is stupid.

Isn't it the case that WWE doesn't actually stand for anything now, and that's the name of the company as it's traded publicly and such?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Shine posted:

Every Q&A megathread on the forums has topics that come up repeatedly. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had the same conversations in YLLS' questions megathread over the years. If this sort of thing annoys you so much, then maybe don't read Q&A megathreads.

it's not the question that bothers me so much as how insanely autismal people are about it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

magnum_valentino posted:

Isn't it the case that WWE doesn't actually stand for anything now, and that's the name of the company as it's traded publicly and such?

No, it officially stands for World Wrestling Entertainment. Some dummies got confused when they dropped the F from WWFE on their stock.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure PTO stands for 'Paige's Tap-Out' not 'Paige Tap-Out' which makes quite a difference.

Well, ok, it makes quite a difference but it's still a stupid name. Almost every WWE signature move has a stupid name though, so I suppose it's not a shock.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's not as good as the Gator Roll Designed To Disorient Your Opponent.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
the best finisher move right now is shibatas penalty kick and more guys should use it

it looks like hell to take

Five Apples
Mar 11, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I AM
Missed opportunity to call Sheamus' submission "The Shamlock."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Five Apples posted:

Missed opportunity to call Cena's' submission "The Shamlock."

Five Apples
Mar 11, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I AM

And the set-up pays off beautifully.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Spermgod posted:

it's not the question that bothers me so much as how insanely autismal people are about it

If seeing a few posts in a row that contain a few sentences about a topic bothers you that much, then maybe don't read Internet forums.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Shine posted:

If seeing a few posts in a row that contain a few sentences about a topic bothers you that much, then maybe don't read Internet forums.

it doesn't bother me that much

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
WWE's Daniel Bryan video release - anyone know what's on the Blu-Ray that's not on the DVD? I'll gladly save a few bucks if the only difference is video quality.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

anakha posted:

I'll be hearing "MOTHAFUCKA" in my dreams tonight.

Go to sleep listening to this:
https://youtu.be/dbGTp5MJ-pU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

On the topic of that Keiji Mutoh video a few posts up, where did the "Shining Wizard" get its name?

Is this a case of Japan borrowing English terms because they sound cool, regardless of whatever they might actually mean?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

ecavalli posted:

On the topic of that Keiji Mutoh video a few posts up, where did the "Shining Wizard" get its name?

Is this a case of Japan borrowing English terms because they sound cool, regardless of whatever they might actually mean?

Probably I mean what the gently caress is an Emerald Flowsion or an Exploider

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I'm positive the Exploder is called an "Exploider" because it originated as a cool-sounding made-up wasei-eigo style term.

I don't believe "Shining Wizard" has any real explanation for the name, it's just a cool name Mutoh thought of.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
There's an explanation on the Japanese Wikipedia but I don't know enough Japanese to understand it

初めは「変形の膝蹴り」と称されたが、2001年2月18日の村上一成とのシングルマッチで決め技に使ったところ、「この膝蹴りに技名を付けよう」という企画が始まり、技名称が一般公募された。そして応募で多かった「シャイニング・ニー」に当時の武藤のニックネーム「クロス・ウィザード」を合わせ、「シャイニング・ウィザード」と名付けられた。

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
That says that he was at some point called Korosu Wizard, or Killer Wizard, so the name of the move is derived from that (or at least the "Wizard" part, there's no remark on that "Shining" has to do with the rest)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
i prefer google translates version

wikipedia posted:

Initially it has been referred to as " deformation of the knee kick " , where it was used to technique decided in a single match with Murakami Kazunari of February 18, 2001 , it is planning to as " gonna tricks name to this knee kick " beginning , skill name has been general public . And at that time of Muto 's nickname to " Shining knee " were many in the application to move the "cross - Wizard " , was named " Shining Wizard " .

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
actually come to think of it Muta did a twisting elbow called the Shining Elbow so that part of the name follows on that theme

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have always seen it referred to as the flashing elbow, but could never figure out if it applied to his proto peoples elbow or his cartwheel corner elbow.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Ah, right, I was thinking of the flashing elbow. The handspring back elbow is the Space Rolling Elbow, though.

Anyway the story on the Shining Wizard is that it was called the Shining Knee and then he changed it when people called him Korosu Wizard

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ah that explains the name of Great Sasuke's Space rolling tiger dives. Space rolling = cartwheel.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

remusclaw posted:

I have always seen it referred to as the flashing elbow, but could never figure out if it applied to his proto peoples elbow or his cartwheel corner elbow.

There are a lot of strikes called flash/flashing/shining; knees, elbows, kicks, etc. I've seen a ton of references to it in mostly Japanese promotions.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Let's say you were to run a package that highlighted 5 or 6 of Christian's greatest WWE moments. What would you include?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Muto was actually called a CROSS wizard as he crossed between AJPW and NJPW while putting on wizard-like magical ringwork.

The name shining wizard was selected from a fan suggestion contest, combining the name "shining knee" and the cross wizard nickname.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Let's say you were to run a package that highlighted 5 or 6 of Christian's greatest WWE moments. What would you include?

The TLC matches, his ECW title reign, turning on Jericho at Mania 20, getting kicked in the nards by Orton to win the title.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jake Soo posted:

Muto was actually called a CROSS wizard as he crossed between AJPW and NJPW while putting on wizard-like magical ringwork.

The name shining wizard was selected from a fan suggestion contest, combining the name "shining knee" and the cross wizard nickname.

This better be right cause it's the only answer i've enjoyed so far

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Aesop Poprock posted:

This better be right cause it's the only answer i've enjoyed so far

That's what the Japanese text posted earlier in the thread said.

Also, check out Muto from early 2000s. The matches against Tenryu and Kawada were drat good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jake Soo posted:

That's what the Japanese text posted earlier in the thread said.

Also, check out Muto from early 2000s. The matches against Tenryu and Kawada were drat good.

Plus he had three really cool matches from the G1 in 1995 against Shinya Hashimoto, Scott Norton and Ric Flair.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Memento posted:

Plus he had three really cool matches from the G1 in 1995 against Shinya Hashimoto, Scott Norton and Ric Flair.

It's actually interesting to compare Muto from that era to the early bald run. His knees were so shot that he had to change his style slightly, thus creating the shining wizard.

I can see Naito going the same direction in the future.

Devil Bird Thing
Mar 12, 2001

Pardon me, do you have a moment to speak about our Lord & Savior, Devil Bird Thing?

I Before E posted:

The TLC matches, his ECW title reign, turning on Jericho at Mania 20, getting kicked in the nards by Orton to win the title.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see any mention of Edge & Christian playing random wrestler theme songs on kazoo, so I am afraid I must consider your list incomplete.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Zen Dudeism posted:

I'm sorry, but I fail to see any mention of Edge & Christian playing random wrestler theme songs on kazoo, so I am afraid I must consider your list incomplete.

Oh, right, yeah. That and goofing around with Kurt Angle.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I Before E posted:

Oh, right, yeah. That and goofing around with Kurt Angle.

CHRIS BENOIT IS HERE
AND HE'S REALLY MAD
CHRIS BENOIT IS HERE
AND HE'S REALLY AN-GRY

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Basic Chunnel posted:

Giant blue dot, fat elvis, nut kick, rear end cream, picture of a disabled list.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Time to put oldpainless BACK in the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Basic Chunnel posted:

That time WWE made him go to TNA for an announcement and he looked like he wanted to die