Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Conans comic con week was frustrating because he was at comic con, which is the perfect venue to film ridiculous remotes and do hilarious bits and he spent almost all of it conducting lame interviews (all of which were overcast and thus even more flaccid and weak) or pimping the loving pop toys which always are a good five minutes or so of every episode

Like he was at comic con, he could've done interviews with cosplayers, walked the show floor, done something with video games, brought along triumph, and instead he did a quick monologue, then one bit with Andy (which was always the best part of the episode), then two tepid and overlong interviews

The irony is that the interviews were both too long and not long enough; especially since it was at comic con, the fact that he conducted this ten minute interview with eight or nine people at a time meant it turned into the first ten minutes of every comic con panel, when the host is trying to read the room and get all the pleasantries out of the way as they ask the most asinine-boring questions to figure out who has a sense of humor and who doesn't, who likes to talk and who doesn't, who is good at talking and who isn't

But then the interview ended once the warmup was over, it was just like...why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seemed like he wasn't allowed to film inside the convention or something.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Toxxupation posted:

Like he was at comic con, he could've done interviews with cosplayers, walked the show floor, done something with video games, brought along triumph, and instead he did a quick monologue, then one bit with Andy (which was always the best part of the episode), then two tepid and overlong interviews

Who said he didn't? It takes some time to edit those videos.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Seinfeld had Colbert on his show this week, and it's probably the best we've seen of him since his last show ended.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/stephen-colbert-cut-up-and-bloody-but-looking-good

and Trevor Noah last week if you missed that, he did great

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/trevor-noah-thats-the-whole-point-of-apartheid-jerry

and Bill Maher before that, being Bill Maher

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/bill-maher-the-comedy-team-of-smug-and-arrogant

since he already had Letterman, Leno, Fallon, and Stewart in previous seasons, he's been running through all the late-night hosts.

It'd be cool to see Conan on.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 14, 2015

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Jubs posted:

Who said he didn't? It takes some time to edit those videos.

They might have blown most of their comic-con budget on that amazing doof-wagon bit.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

CaptainQuirk posted:

From kotaku comment section:

I need this in avatar size please.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Both the timing of Comic-Con and the logistics of the con itself were probably why there weren't bits. They filmed stuff in advance for shows in Texas and Chicago, because they could air them any time. The Con itself doesn't officially begin until Thursday, so the Wednesday show was already going to be a bust for con footage. Then you only have 3 remaining shows on progressively busier days, with a huge amount of unknowns as far as lines and crowds go. And inside the convention center, forget filming anything meaningful, its much more cramped than it even looks in pictures, and the only people usually found filming anything are standing completely still doing tight shots next to a booth. Anyone doing a bit would immediately get mobbed or, at best, have to stop every 10 feet for another blocked pathway.

Plus, there was the whole image of his Comic-Con shows being a thing you really couldn't afford to miss being at, and the best way to do that is stack the deck with celebrities. I was at the Saturday taping, and the energy was great because everyone loved being in front of surprises and major stars. Standing in line for a long while just to sit in a theater and watch something on a screen would've killed the energy they were hoping for. Also it was hard to hear what people were saying if someone kept talking while the audience was laughing or applauding, so any really funny bits would've had a lot of moments where people weren't laughing because they couldn't hear the joke.

Now that they know how things go, they can probably set some stuff up offsite for next year that they could bring people to film at, like how most outlets hold offsite discussions with celebrities after they get the hell out of the convention center. They'll also know how to manage the audience better, too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Seriously? Why would anyone want to watch a ten minute segment of celebrities doing the most surface-level of surface-level canned interviews (Man you sure do kill a lot of zombies, huh, Steven Yeun? Do you like killing zombies, Steven Yeun?) before being ushered offstage like so much garbage, ESPECIALLY when literally earlier in the day you could watch an at least hour-long segment of literally those same celebrities being asked better and deeper questions, with a chance of YOU asking those questions? Were the interviews longer when taped and just cut down for time or something

like, there's no excuse to do a bad copy of SDCC panels within the constraints of a 42-minute programme when the actual thing does it better, especially when most to all of those panels are streamed or recorded in some fashion

If you're gonna bring a bunch of celebs by at least have them do bits or something, that Liam Cunningham "bit" was the best use of a celebrity the show had all week because it wasn't terrible boring dumb obvious questions to an overstuffed panel under super strict time restraints that meant everyone was rushed, it was the worst overfocus on interviews (which are almost always the loving boringest part of late night anyways) combined with way too many people in them

imagine if instead of asking Norman Reedus a bunch of really dumb questions about how many zombies he's killed on his time on TWD they played the house of the dead arcade game for ten minutes to see who "killed zombies best" or some poo poo like that

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 15, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

it was the worst overfocus on interviews (which are almost always the loving boringest part of late night anyways)

This is really my biggest problem with the format. Good guests are few and far between and good interviews are even loving rarer. There's a reason that Norm Macdonald clip gets posted so drat frequently. It's because the competition is scarce.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The worst part is that the demands of late night airing nightly mean that the same pool of comedians and stars promoting poo poo will show up over and over and over and over and over and over and over so if you watch anything more than one late night program, or even if you don't and just know the star being interviewed on any real level from previous interviews you get the same boring loving anecdotes from the same like dozen people

you know how desperately loving uninteresting that goddamn anecdote that's actually a repurposed joke that aziz ansari tells about meeting jay-z/kanye/fiddy/p diddy and getting drunk and doing standup is at this point, you know how many loving times i've heard it across his comedy albums and billions of interviews on late night programs

jesus CHRIST

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It's why I like animals and Steven Ho. The animals are at least different and unpredictable by nature and Steven Ho's "interviews" are basically just extended and scripted skits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the span of about an hour you asked why someone would watch these boring celebrity interviews, and then complained about how much you dislike seeing the same celebrity interview questions all the time because you watch so many of them.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

imagine if instead of asking Norman Reedus a bunch of really dumb questions about how many zombies he's killed on his time on TWD they played the house of the dead arcade game for ten minutes to see who "killed zombies best" or some poo poo like that

I would sooner slit my loving wrists than watch celebrities play video games for ten minutes. If I want to see the Chinese guy from the Walking Dead talk, its in connection to his role on the Walking Dead and thus I want to hear him talk about.... the Walking Dead.

The video game idea is stupid and you're stupid for suggesting it. I hope you choke on Jimmy Fallon's balls you goddamn idiot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

In the span of about an hour you asked why someone would watch these boring celebrity interviews, and then complained about how much you dislike seeing the same celebrity interview questions all the time because you watch so many of them.

Forget it, he's rolling.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

You're pretending that b contradicts a when a is caused in part by b

Good interviews are great, bad interviews that consist of the same dozen or so prompted questions that lead celebs to tell one of a tiny selection of "personal anecdotes" they tell all the time on every late night show are loving pointless

Like I can't loving wait to see this weeks Paul Rudd interview on Conan because I'm really excited for how he's going to bring up the dumb loving Mac n' me clip like he always does because every single time it's hilarious

That's what I'm talking about, good interviews do stuff like that

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 15, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.colbertlateshow.com/video/B2A2BE11-38A3-908C-DEA3-8EEC858C94BB/9th-rock-from-the-sun/

Colbert talked to Neil deGrasse Tyson about Pluto. It was alright.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Colbert is a man in desperate need of a team of writers to make him funny and likeable.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Toxxupation posted:

Like I can't loving wait to see this weeks Paul Rudd interview on Conan because I'm really excited for how he's going to bring up the dumb loving Mac n' me clip like he always does because every single time it's hilarious

That's what I'm talking about, good interviews do stuff like that
Rudd did a variation of that on Fallon on Monday where he and Jimmy introduced the clip in an odd way and it turned out the clip was footage of David Letterman introducing an Ant-Man clip with all the banter they just said. No M&M clip, though, that's saved for Conan.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

JazzFlight posted:

Rudd did a variation of that on Fallon on Monday where he and Jimmy introduced the clip in an odd way and it turned out the clip was footage of David Letterman introducing an Ant-Man clip with all the banter they just said. No M&M clip, though, that's saved for Conan.
I really enjoyed that, hope he does that every time he comes on Fallon.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
50 "Bankrupt" Cent to be on Conan in a few.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

I actually very rarely watch the interviews precisely because the Q&A are so predictable. Guests I like watching are grandfathered in, and guests I might like I'll try to give a watch to but I probably average maybe one interview a week.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CaptainYesterday posted:

50 "Bankrupt" Cent to be on Conan in a few.

That was disappointing as a whole. Geez.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Paul Rudd is on Conan tonight and unfortunately, because of Marvel being so powerful, they had to just show a clip of Ant-Man.

It never, ever gets old

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Space_Butler posted:

Paul Rudd is on Conan tonight and unfortunately, because of Marvel being so powerful, they had to just show a clip of Ant-Man.

It never, ever gets old

I laugh my rear end off every single time

"Sorry!"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Space_Butler posted:

It never, ever gets old

That somehow totally got me

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

tv sucks now with dave gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjXL_vr4qnk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tom Cruise absolutely killed it at lip sync battle on Fallon tonight.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I love the look of utter disgust on that woman's face every time she looks at Jimmy.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Apparently, some Twitter dude is suing Conan O'Brien for joke stealing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

So the article says the joke appeared the same night on the show, but the blog post linked from the article was posted at 4:00 something PM. Isn't the show also shot around 4 PM and the jokes would have had to have been finalized earlier than that?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 3, 2015

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I went to see the show. Trying to remember when it taped, but I think it would be closer to 5pm....

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw that last week. All the examples are total generic stuff 1000 people said on Twitter anyway.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It reminds me of people on Vine crying about joke stealing

Well yeah you made a 6 second video with a lame joke about some current trend, even if no one came up with the same obvious joke on their own and were in fact stealing from you - why do you care?

Granted this guy has more of a reason to care, but really.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

and there goes another. :(

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

and there goes another. :(

They cancelled James Corden already? I thought he'd go at least a year.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Irish Joe posted:

They cancelled James Corden already? I thought he'd go at least a year.

A man can dream.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Jon Stewart did a very good job on his last episode

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Jon Stewart did a very good job on his last episode

A lot better than Letterman that's for drat sure

Nostalgia4Butts