Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So what happened to the old thread? There was 30 pages of posts in 2 days and then this.

Nobody can duplicate the perfect storm of bitcoin, J4G, and sheer lunacy that occurred in the dying throws of that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So what happened to the old thread? There was 30 pages of posts in 2 days and then this.

Eonwe asked nicely.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Modularity is the new milking mechanism. Selling a base Retaliator for $150 opens up the market for folks who dropped $110 and want something bigger, and then it's easier to justify dropping $25 or so for a cargo pod. Now extend that to all of the other platforms and you can see how things would work. For example let's say the Cutlass somehow manages to not suck. I might own a Black for $110, but I might be willing to drop an extra $5 for the Red cockpit and maybe another $40 for souped up engines. At this point most backers will likely melt and convert stuff, but you're still going to capture people dropping an extra $5 here and there.

I feel like the real next cashcow is going to be hangar modularity around when the social module comes out. Org armory. Org fuel depo. Org rooms. Org orgy salon.

All of the things that you'll want to have on hand so you don't have to ever go outside.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Neoliberal "I took a few classes in poli-sci in college" Redditor invasion.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

I feel like the real next cashcow is going to be hangar modularity around when the social module comes out. Org armory. Org fuel depo. Org rooms. Org orgy salon.

All of the things that you'll want to have on hand so you don't have to ever go outside.

Exactly. And the real spenders will want to make sure they have all of that for their own personal use. gently caress having friends.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What's the story with the terrible flight model? Most of the movement of ships I've seen in demos or whatever looks incredibly unrealistic, like none of the ships actually have any mass to them, there is virtually no momentum whatsoever. They wanted to simulate all the thrusters separately and stuff right, is this what things are meant to look like or what?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm waiting to see how much they sell trench coats and fedoras for. It's going to be like EVE's monocle-gate but everybody will be happy about it instead.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
asking nicely is the key to getting what you want

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
does someone want to take the OP of the old thread and remove the timg tags for me and PM it to me

im at work so otherwise it wont happen for like 8 more hours

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AP posted:

The Next Great Starship Character Model being announced next week. They are also thinking about doing a live stream every 2 months, they had 24 thousand people on Twitch watching the Gamescom stream and somebody must has figured out that's a great captive audience to sell things to.

Also Sandi Gardiner says the marketing department at CIG only recently recruited an assistant for her, marketing has been all her work. I think Derek Smart said she was taking credit for the work of others in marketing (I'm not reading it all again to find the quote), so somebody is feeding him bad information or he's making it up.

Dr. Derek Smart would totally never make poo poo up out of whole cloth, Legal would never approve it!!!!!

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

El Grillo posted:

What's the story with the terrible flight model? Most of the movement of ships I've seen in demos or whatever looks incredibly unrealistic, like none of the ships actually have any mass to them, there is virtually no momentum whatsoever. They wanted to simulate all the thrusters separately and stuff right, is this what things are meant to look like or what?

The ships have mass, but the maneuvering thrusters are also incredibly powerful. On fighters this means they can arrest the momentum quickly. Fighters still slide quite a bit, its just not as noticeable unless you observe a ship from a stationary position with some other static object to use as reference.

When you're the pilot and you're trying to avoid sliding into objects you become keenly aware of drift very quickly. Basically any of the racing maps.

Supposedly as ships get bigger the relative power of the maneuvering thrusters goes down, so they are very ponderous and slow.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

El Grillo posted:

It's still actively being tuned, and some significant changes were made in the last big patch that give ships some more feeling of mass, though it's not quite there yet from what I've played lately.

Previously, all the flight model work was being done by their physics programming lead, but they've brought in at least one other person to contradict his opinions, and things have been getting better since then. I'm guessing the next major set of changes won't go in until the larger ships are implemented in 2.0, however, since they will change the dogfighting landscape significantly.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
RE: Cptunderpants post earlier, and beer's follow up.

There is a gap of about 200,000 people who have bought ships and pledged but have not purchased a package (S42). That seems like a significant amount of money, but probably not enough to get them to where they need to go (only ~$6 million, isn't that impressive given how much they rake in monthly just on concept sales). What it does do, however, is reinvigorate the fanbase, to both buy more into future concept sales, as well as provide a neat vehicle for recruiting people looking for a single player game, but neither of these two aspects are certain bets given how the core consumers are starting to get tapped out (and how everyone who is into the genre has already bought in).

I wouldn't say that they are without hope, considering they have raised 87 million, and can still rake in ~1 million from a couple items, they almost certainly have access to financing/investment to finish it off though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Hey look, another 250 Javelins mysteriously showed up for sale at $10k each! How generous of the UEE.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
There's no way S42 won't be less than $70 at release.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its almost as if the HOLY poo poo TIME LIMITED GET THEM NOW OR NEVER AGAIN ships are only as limited as their budget is currently

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

AP posted:

Yeah I thought there was a chance they'd gently caress the Games Con stream up, have a couple of crashes or something, that combined with DEREK SMART and the press finally paying attention might possibly have been enough to spook a real fire sale on the 2nd hand market and maybe start a flood of refunds.

Instead the stream managed to impress the faithful a bit, even if only the multi player. SC-Druggie is an example of the type of player they want to keep on side until it reaches a point when he can't get a refund.

Selling some of the popular module stripped ships with LTI again and the Glaive injecting life into the "investor" market is enough to mean they just need a good live stream at Citizen Con leading up to the November sales, considering they haven't shown anything at all of SQ42 yet, it should be easy enough to impress.

They made a million in 48 hours over Games Con, more than the monthly totals in July & June and far more than the Space bus sale, they'll probably take another 500k easy before the LTI Retaliator sale is over.

If they don't break 100 million this year, high 90's is looking very possible, there's plenty more laughs to come.
What's Games Con and why do so many goons spell it wrong?

edit: wait, I get it, pun on Gamescom and Chris Roberts scamming, ignore.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
this is a great game if you want a high octane adventure in space

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eonwe posted:

does someone want to take the OP of the old thread and remove the timg tags for me and PM it to me

im at work so otherwise it wont happen for like 8 more hours

With a great OP comes great responsibility. You wanted the job, you gotta do the work.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

peter gabriel posted:

What if we want this same experience but instead as a high octane adventure in a 19th century coal town?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rip

ok ill do it tonight

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

With a great OP comes great responsibility. You wanted the job, you gotta do the work.

Someone should change it for him, and introduce a bunch of minor edits that make things worse.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

worst op person

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

kloa posted:

worst op person

art imitates life

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

worst op person

Not their fault, YOU try typing with toes that big... and pink.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I was thinking about making a thread for Armored Warfare where I just take the World of Tanks OP and replace all the Wargaming stuff with Obsidian stuff and then post that. I've realized I'm far too lazy and would like to instead hire Eonwe to take on this task.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

peter gabriel posted:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Apparently the "beat" arena commander stipulation for the glaive token was actually a "get to wave 18" requirement.

What the gently caress is wrong with their QA department that they couldn't get to wave 18.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
If the game requires $150M to finish, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that CIG has secured private investments anyway. I think what most investors (real investors, lol) want is a proof of concept, and theoretically, CIG has done that.

I think SC will be finished, eventually in some form. What remains to be seen, and what I'm least convinced about, is whether the finished product will be a good game that is fun to play and delivers on what was promised.

Also: Someone compiled a far, far more detailed funding spreadsheet than I've seen before that some may find interesting:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 10, 2015

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I think the Avenger was the smallest ship with internal modularity slated for it. The hornet has all external mods.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kalenn Istarion posted:

/r/atheism and D&D formed a gestalt intelligence which congealed into human form. The new creation's first act as a sentient being was to start posting here.

xanif posted:

Apparently the "beat" arena commander stipulation for the glaive token was actually a "get to wave 18" requirement.

What the gently caress is wrong with their QA department that they couldn't get to wave 18.

They were probably lying in the presentation.

Dusty Lens posted:

I wonder if this will give us the ability to infiltrate, then thieve and run.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kylra posted:

Hey look, another 250 Javelins mysteriously showed up for sale at $10k each! How generous of the UEE.

The Croba Oompas have been toiling in the bit mines to strike up this new vein of rare spaceships, you ingrate.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I think the Avenger was the smallest ship with internal modularity slated for it. The hornet has all external mods.

That makes sense. The Aurora, M50, Gladius, and 300i are all too compact to get any kind of modular system. The Mustang might end up with something where the cargo pod is (currently it can be a racer, camper, cargo, or gunboat) but they might just keep it as variants. As you say the Hornet's modularity is all external and is already well established. The Reliant is another question mark.

I could see the cargo pod in the Aurora being exchangeable for a mission-specific toolbox. Like a salvage or mining module.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Hey guys they are stealin' our money.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

/r/atheism and D&D formed a gestalt intelligence which congealed into human form. The new creation's first act as a sentient being was to start posting here.

They were probably lying in the presentation.

I wonder if this will give us the ability to infiltrate, then thieve and run.

Yes but if they purchase renters insurance with RL money they will be protected. Buy an org armory and barracks module now for $2k and it comes with lifetime renters insurance.

Goonsurance Policy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

After the whole "Do the ban, I don't care, and unban me if the game comes out," guy tenbuxed his way back in.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

CashEnsign posted:

Hey guys they are stealin' our money.

Wow someone with a few working brain cells

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That makes sense. The Aurora, M50, Gladius, and 300i are all too compact to get any kind of modular system. The Mustang might end up with something where the cargo pod is (currently it can be a racer, camper, cargo, or gunboat) but they might just keep it as variants. As you say the Hornet's modularity is all external and is already well established. The Reliant is another question mark.

I could see the cargo pod in the Aurora being exchangeable for a mission-specific toolbox. Like a salvage or mining module.

I could see the reliant being modular. You can put on a new center section or a new vertical wing set.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

After the whole "Do the ban, I don't care, and unban me if the game comes out," guy tenbuxed his way back in.

Wrong guy, SC_Druggie fell on his sword, Seraph84 is (looking at post history) yukking it up in the bitcoin thread in YOSPOS :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My mistake, it was Druggie that was banned. Can't keep 'em straight. Regardless, the discussion seems have to mutated -- it's PM-borne!

• Locked thread