Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I recently installed Tmobile's Visual Voicemail app. I've also noticed a bunch of SMS messages being sent to "122". A quick Google search points to this being related to Visual Voicemail. Is that right? I just wanna make sure this isn't something I should worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
3 unlocked refurbished Iphones and my OneTouch, walked in, was out in 20 minutes with an extra $100 in my pocket every month. Service is stellar so far! Bye Sprint :)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Don Lapre posted:

You pay off the phone and its yours. You cant turn it in.

"Thank you for reaching out to us. The information provided is absolutely correct, if you were to cancel the unpaid balance of the phones would be due on the final bill."

https://support.t-mobile.com/message/414511

I PMed him but something we commonly used in sales was jumping people to a cheap flip phone and having them pay that off. For future T-Mobile thread reference.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

I recently installed Tmobile's Visual Voicemail app. I've also noticed a bunch of SMS messages being sent to "122". A quick Google search points to this being related to Visual Voicemail. Is that right? I just wanna make sure this isn't something I should worry about.

Yeah, your phone is usually supposed to hide it but depending on your set up it might show them. No big deal.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
How's T-Mobile's reception in north-eastern Michigan? Iosco County, if that helps.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If only there was some sort of coverage map...

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

If only there was some sort of coverage map...

Everyone knows coverage maps lie, always take the advice of random goons on the internet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hungry Squirrel posted:

How's T-Mobile's reception in north-eastern Michigan? Iosco County, if that helps.

All I know is that I used all 10MB of my roaming data instantly when I visited Towas to see family, and then I realized just how little I use the voice feature of my phone.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Astro7x posted:

All I know is that I used all 10MB of my roaming data instantly when I visited Towas to see family, and then I realized just how little I use the voice feature of my phone.

Well, poo poo. But it sounds like there is roaming coverage, so if I turn off data I should be able to get by with voice and text for a week without going over my plan cap.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

FlyingCheese posted:

Everyone knows coverage maps lie, always take the advice of random goons on the internet.

This. The coverage map shows it as a "partner" area, which means AT&T roaming, but that doesn't mean the coverage is any good. If it drops all my calls and loses all my texts, I may as well spend the week with my phone in airplane mode.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AT&T has a cell signal boost type thing you can plug in in your home. Does T-Mobile have anything like that? I know there's wifi calling, but that limits my phone options heavily.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

AT&T has a cell signal boost type thing you can plug in in your home. Does T-Mobile have anything like that? I know there's wifi calling, but that limits my phone options heavily.

Something similar to this?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't reliably have 3g or 4g, and the cellspot router is just a normal router, I'd still need a T-Mobile branded device. Unless I'm missing something.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't reliably have 3g or 4g, and the cellspot router is just a normal router, I'd still need a T-Mobile branded device. Unless I'm missing something.

if you have one bar anywhere on your property, the cel-fi will rebroadcast a GSM signal so you don't need a t-mo device. If you're asking about an internet-connected device that will generate its own GSM service, no, T-Mobile does not have one of those.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've been on the 5gb data $30 "Walmart" plan for a year or two now on my Nexus devices. I'm not against upgrading to a post-paid plan if it provided me some value, but it seems like the only upgrade data-wise would be more than doubling my payment to get the $80 unlimited plan. If I were to go into a retail store, do they have any negotiation power as far as offering promotional rates or credits or anything to convince me to move up to the bigger plan?

For what it's worth, I posted this on the TMO subreddit and got the following response from an employee but I was curious if anyone has had any luck with negotiating with CSRs or otherwise.

quote:

Retail doesn't have access to any secret promotional plans and account credits are almost exclusively reserved for resolving customer service escalations.

If you have others to split the cost of a family plan, the 2 for $100 w/ 10GB each promotion would double your data for ~$25 more (incl. rough estimate of taxes+fees), or the 4 for $120 w/ 10GB each promo would do the same for ~$5 more.

You would also have all the post-paid benefits like unlimited calling, Data Stash, Music Freedom, Simple Global, EIP/JUMP for devices, free Router/Signal booster etc.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've been on the 5gb data $30 "Walmart" plan for a year or two now on my Nexus devices. I'm not against upgrading to a post-paid plan if it provided me some value, but it seems like the only upgrade data-wise would be more than doubling my payment to get the $80 unlimited plan. If I were to go into a retail store, do they have any negotiation power as far as offering promotional rates or credits or anything to convince me to move up to the bigger plan?

For what it's worth, I posted this on the TMO subreddit and got the following response from an employee but I was curious if anyone has had any luck with negotiating with CSRs or otherwise.

No, at a retail store we don't give credits for customers wanting to move to a higher rate plan. If you move to a regular postpaid account the Sim starter fee is waived ($15) but that's about it. If you are going to move to postpaid my only real tip is to move on the last day of your bill cycle because you lose out on any money/time you have left on your account.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So I like changing phones I have an iPhone 6 which I can sell back and pay off what I owe on it plus a little. I'm considering moving to jump on demand so I can swap phones around if I see a new shiny. Please talk me out of this idea the monthly bill will be similar to what I'm paying now.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does anyone know if a verizon LG G3 will work on tmobile?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I would assume no because of gsm cdma incompatibility

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Verizon's phones have been GSM unlocked for a while now. Check what bands it has, though. Your 3g/4g might be spotty.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
According to this it will work.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-lg-g3/general/factory-unlocked-lte-t-mobile-t2828543

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

TMo mysteriously upgraded my hotspot Data from 5.0GB to 7.0GB :confused:

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

TMo mysteriously upgraded my hotspot Data from 5.0GB to 7.0GB :confused:

Everyone got a 2GB boost a month or two back if you were on an unlimited plan.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Burden posted:

That explains it. Thanks!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Burden posted:

cool, didn't know this at all

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is anyone on this plan? Is it as good as it sounds?

http://explore.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-family-plan-with-10gb-data

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

r0ck0 posted:

Is anyone on this plan? Is it as good as it sounds?

http://explore.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-family-plan-with-10gb-data

Yep, signed up at the beginning of the month. So far no hitches. First bill with taxes was something like $135?

Audax fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Need to change to that one and let the 4th sim just sit in a drawer

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Looks like you can do 2, 3 or 4+ lines as well with the deal. In other words, only $10 more per line to upgrade two 1gb lines to 10gb...

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Is there anyway that I can move from a regular EIP plan (assuming here I have paid the balance off on the phone in question ) to the nerd plan, or is there something else I need to do

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LionYeti posted:

Is there anyway that I can move from a regular EIP plan (assuming here I have paid the balance off on the phone in question ) to the nerd plan, or is there something else I need to do

You need to port away from T-Mobile to another carrier for a month.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
What would be the best plan for two lines, all I care about is at least 4GB of data me and my wife barely call or text. I'm probably going to grab two Moto G's and I would be dumping Sprint. T-Mobile doesn't have issues porting numbers over does it? Also any of you guys around the Pittsburgh/western PA area that can comment on the service coverage map looks good to me.
Thanks

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Killmaster posted:

Looks like you can do 2, 3 or 4+ lines as well with the deal. In other words, only $10 more per line to upgrade two 1gb lines to 10gb...

Wait... are you serious?

I pay $90 for a 2 line family plan with 1 line at 3GB and another line at 1GB. So for $10 more per month we can get 10GB on each line?

I thought there was a minimum of 4 phones required for this deal

It seems strange, because isn't it $120 to have two phones on a simple choice plan for 5GB each line? Yeah, just leave two inactive SIMs in a drawer somewhere. Or gently caress it, for $120 I'd just use all three SIMs and swap them out and use 30GB of data while my wife keeps hers for 10GB which she'll never use.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BrownieVK posted:

What would be the best plan for two lines, all I care about is at least 4GB of data me and my wife barely call or text. I'm probably going to grab two Moto G's and I would be dumping Sprint. T-Mobile doesn't have issues porting numbers over does it? Also any of you guys around the Pittsburgh/western PA area that can comment on the service coverage map looks good to me.
Thanks

The TMobile family plan is $70 + $50 = $120 for lines one and two with 5GB each of data. If you can get by with 3GB each it would be $60 + $40 = $100 monthly.

If you really don't call a lot, TMobile prepaid is $30 a line for 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB of data. So each of you would get 100 mins ($0.10 a min after that), text and data, total is $60 monthly.

In PA in general TMobile gets spotty once you are outside the city, but I'm on the other side of the state so I don't know pittsburgh that well. Not sure if there are different policies on roaming on TMobile prepaid or postpaid, but I know between TMobile and roaming you would almost always have at least voice coverage.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Did t-mo phase out unlimited data plans?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

And keep in mind if you're a heavy music streamer you can just subtract all of that from your data allowance if your service is on Music Freedom and figure it out from there.

Unlimited is still on the plans but they've started adding this in bigger print now.

quote:

*Unlimited 4G LTE customers who use more than 21 GB of data in a bill cycle will have their data usage de-prioritized compared to other customers for that bill cycle at locations and times when competing network demands occur, resulting in relatively slower speeds. See t-mobile.com/OpenInternet for details.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Duckman2008 posted:

The TMobile family plan is $70 + $50 = $120 for lines one and two with 5GB each of data. If you can get by with 3GB each it would be $60 + $40 = $100 monthly.

If you really don't call a lot, TMobile prepaid is $30 a line for 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB of data. So each of you would get 100 mins ($0.10 a min after that), text and data, total is $60 monthly.

In PA in general TMobile gets spotty once you are outside the city, but I'm on the other side of the state so I don't know pittsburgh that well. Not sure if there are different policies on roaming on TMobile prepaid or postpaid, but I know between TMobile and roaming you would almost always have at least voice coverage.

Thanks this helps alot, I was thinking of switching to TING but two prepaid lines @$30 each sounds perfect for us, I would be going from $160 down to that. Does T-Mobile have tower roll out plans listed online anywhere I know Sprint sucks but to their credit they did a rollout program and it was pretty accurate I had a massive increase in speeds and signal but still $160 a month for surfing in chrome away from home is kind of silly.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I don't understand how but T-Mobile fucks up my bill every other month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BrownieVK posted:

Thanks this helps alot, I was thinking of switching to TING but two prepaid lines @$30 each sounds perfect for us, I would be going from $160 down to that. Does T-Mobile have tower roll out plans listed online anywhere I know Sprint sucks but to their credit they did a rollout program and it was pretty accurate I had a massive increase in speeds and signal but still $160 a month for surfing in chrome away from home is kind of silly.

I don't think they do.

I worked at Sprint when they launched the tower rollout, and to be fair it's a really bad business decision. The next corp meeting I was at had a whole section discussing combatting marketing from Verizon, who had taken the data and emailed it to sprint business customers stating that even sprint knows the network is not good, come over here, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

BrownieVK posted:

Thanks

Pittsburgh goon here. T-Mobile works pretty well. Pretty much as long as you are not going further north than Cranberry, further south than Washington, further east than Monroeville, or further west than the airport, you will be good. Outside of that zone, the service can be described best as "eh".

In other words, if you live in the greater Pittsburgh area, you are going to be just fine. Get the free iPhone for a week and test the service yourself.