Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I met my friend in Italy after he did a total of 25 laps in his CTS-V wagon. From the sound of it you're not going to have to worry about the speed limits. Be courteous about passing and being passed, and don't drive like you're trying to set some personal records. I'd check up on your insurance stipulations before taking your personal car there.

Earlier today he posted his "lap of Monaco," at an average speed of probably 18 MPH or something given the traffic and pedestrians. A few weeks ago it was his Reasonably Priced Car lap. It's like an AI wet dream European vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Marauder Stig posted:

Anyone at Road Atlanta this weekend?

You weren't driving a SN95, right? :ohdear:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Or an RX-7 with a blown motor.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/fatal-accident-at-road-atlanta-1721931526?rev=1438663370540

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.

Phone posted:

You weren't driving a SN95, right? :ohdear:

IM FINE, IM FINE. I forgot to check the thread until now. I was the other guy in the white sn95. That wasn't me that crashed.

Seriously had nightmares about that Saturday night.

Just in case anyone hadn't heard yet. We lost one.
http://jalopnik.com/driver-killed-at-road-atlanta-track-event-1722117428

Marauder Stig fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 5, 2015

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I'm a madman that drives without seatbelt or rollcage, but can I suggest that if you're shaken by the events, now is a good time to review the safety gear on your ride?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I had assumed this stuff happens at least once a month or so to be honest. Is this the first HPDE death? It's sad but inevitable.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

VelociBacon posted:

I had assumed this stuff happens at least once a month or so to be honest. Is this the first HPDE death? It's sad but inevitable.

Not once a month, but certainly several times a year. For me the worst ones are when the driving instructor is the one killed.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Did a bunch of laps of the Ring this weekend:

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.

Some of the Sheep posted:

I'm a madman that drives without seatbelt or rollcage, but can I suggest that if you're shaken by the events, now is a good time to review the safety gear on your ride?

well, madman, perhaps you should put a cage/seat/harness in your car, because he made a pretty simple mistake. He just put 2 tires off driver left at the kink before 10a, went head on into the wall driver right and still had enough velocity to come to rest in the runoff at turn 10. One little mistake in a car with no cage/seat/harness is all it took.

For the record, the part that rattled me is that I almost made that same mistake 2 years ago in a car with no cage. Which is why I put a license plate on a beat up CMC mustang that met all the club racing requirements.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005

Marauder Stig posted:

well, madman, perhaps you should put a cage/seat/harness in your car, because he made a pretty simple mistake.

Never said I raced a car. My ride doesn't get to have these things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Never said I raced a car. My ride doesn't get to have these things.

Wow look @ this kid over here thinks he's too cool to have a cage. I bet your dumb suit isn't even fire proof.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
Let me quickly self-doxx so you can stop embarrassing yourselves.

Speaking of spins:

Lost my right rear wheel at 100mph. My weekend was going well up till that point, took pole and won the first two heats.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiVAyM8NpFqN51-8uJMiDR-h1SdSHb5np

I'm not going to claim my sport is even remotely safe or sane, but I'm not being an idiot when I say I don't get to wear a belt or cage.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i know; firesuit != abrasion suit

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Signed up for HPDE in November at Summit Point with NASA. Here's to putting enough miles on my new car before then that it's out of break-in.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Signed up for my first track day. Hooked on Driving, Thunderhill, CA. Too bad it's not until November.

eriddy posted:

How would you guys list "doing track days" on a resume? Has anyone put driving events on their resume with personal info/hobbies? I'm having trouble finding good wording - I want to say that I'm an intermediate level track day driver but without implying that I participate in races, if that makes sense.

I think it's a good idea to list a few hobbies, or whatever, as a footnote on your resume. Might help make you look like an interesting person to work with. If applicable, would highlight any track day volunteer work you've done or leadership stuff like being a club board member.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
As someone who interviews a lot of people. Don't put track days on your resume. If you're interviewing somewhere not lovely they'll ask you what your hobbies are at some point.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dema posted:

Signed up for my first track day. Hooked on Driving, Thunderhill, CA. Too bad it's not until November.

I think it's a good idea to list a few hobbies, or whatever, as a footnote on your resume. Might help make you look like an interesting person to work with. If applicable, would highlight any track day volunteer work you've done or leadership stuff like being a club board member.
What club for thunderhill?
If it's a newbie day I want to go too.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Think it's just a normal Hooked on Driving, novice thing.

I'd like to do the Corvette day in October but I'm spread a bit thin at the moment. Did sign up for the rally thing the day before. I'll probably be the youngest person there.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dema posted:

Think it's just a normal Hooked on Driving, novice thing.

I'd like to do the Corvette day in October but I'm spread a bit thin at the moment. Did sign up for the rally thing the day before. I'll probably be the youngest person there.
Whats the date and/or website?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

How much does life suck on OEM pads? (Stock brembos on a mustang track pack) Left my drat track pads at home.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bumming Your Scene posted:

How much does life suck on OEM pads? (Stock brembos on a mustang track pack) Left my drat track pads at home.

I melted my OEM Nissan pads in less than 20 minutes during a track day. Usually it sucks a lot, but does this package also include updated pads?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Not long generally. If you melt your pads how do you plan to get home? Keep a close eye on them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I've done HPDE schools on stock pads, but once I got up to speed they didn't last long. Last trackday I brought my e46 out after breaking my M3 and I had the stock pads smoking in about 15 minutes.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

nm posted:

Not long generally. If you melt your pads how do you plan to get home? Keep a close eye on them.

They are holding up ok, missing the bite of my Hawks but these aren't vaporizing too fast and they aren't fading too bad. I have 2 sets of OEM because I put this set in a Hawk box after I went through a set of those and took that box without checking what was inside. Derp.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I find it's very track dependent. lovely little tracks like Mission Raceway (outside of Vancouver BC) are notoriously bad on brakes. Other tracks that let the brakes cool more are not as bad.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
If you're brakes aren't having fun, you can always try managing with diving. Lifting off the gas a couple seconds early at the end of the straights can really help save the brakes (and gas). Most track days aren't even timed, and really is the experience any different doing a little lift and coast?

You can also think about it as "training" for endurance racing where this is a legitimate and commonly used technique. It's all about the experience and getting the most out of the car. At least for me, as long as the car is safe, who cares. Polish that turd.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
What's everyone's favorite producer of magnetic track numbers? I've used iZoom before and been really happy with their product, but after destroying my last set it's time for some new ones. Suggestions?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Magnetic numbers will fly off. Use Kar Kare vinyls or track with a group that isn't a bunch of cheap asses and provides numbers for you.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Making numbers with painter's tape is a time honored tradition.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Magnetic numbers will fly off. Use Kar Kare vinyls or track with a group that isn't a bunch of cheap asses and provides numbers for you.

I used magnetic numbers just fine for years on my Miata and Porsche. I tried re-usable vinyl one season, but without the doors being perfectly clean, it'd be torn off by the wind at 130+. Same problem with painter's tape - my dirty, dirty car (thanks to high-dust brake pads) would always make it fall off as speed. I'd rather not try "permanent" vinyl on my DD, so magnetic seems the way to go.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

Making numbers with painter's tape is a time honored tradition.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Sigma X posted:

I used magnetic numbers just fine for years on my Miata and Porsche. I tried re-usable vinyl one season, but without the doors being perfectly clean, it'd be torn off by the wind at 130+. Same problem with painter's tape - my dirty, dirty car (thanks to high-dust brake pads) would always make it fall off as speed. I'd rather not try "permanent" vinyl on my DD, so magnetic seems the way to go.

You know you can spray your door with some windex/simple green and it'll clean that stuff off, right? Or are your cars that fast.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Don't put simple green on paint. That stuff can do some real damage.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Octopus Magic posted:

You know you can spray your door with some windex/simple green and it'll clean that stuff off, right? Or are your cars that fast.

Also don't clean the poo poo out of your car before. I had my car so clean that I couldn't get painters tape to stick at all. Trying to dewax with isopropyl helped a little but it still blew off at low speed.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I cut my numbers out of magnetic sheets from Michael's.

Green painter's tape sticks better than blue.

And if you don't have brakes, practice your no-brakes and offline drills. You'll be a million times better driver for doing them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Is Nurburgring better on weekdays or weekend in terms of traffic and waiting? I'm about 200 km away so could go at any point.

Also, does anyone know how the track days work on Hockenhimring? Yesterday two guys I met there said it's only on Thursdays so I might have missed my chance due to my boss's boring party :(

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Is Nurburgring better on weekdays or weekend in terms of traffic and waiting?

I've been there (just Nordschleife, never driven on the new track) both on weekdays and weekends, and while it's just a few data points it seems to me there are quite a bit more people and cars there on weekends. However, since the track is usually open all day (as opposed to just a couple hours on weekday nights) people aren't on track as much but more hanging around, so queues and traffic on-track isn't that bad. Last time I was there (weekend late April this year) was the busiest I've seen. The parking lots closest to the track were quite packed and we usually had to park in the bit gravel lot (still just a minutes walk from the track entrance), but there was always plenty of room on that one. Still never had to wait in line for more than a minute or two to go out on track, and while there was noticeably more traffic it wasn't too bad. There was a bit of a line on a few occasions when the track reopened after accidents and such, but it cleared out in a few minutes.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm about 200 km away so could go at any point.

Then you have no business whatsoever not being there every other weekend and whatever random free weekday night you have. I'm about 1500km away, so it's a multi-day roadtrip.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mobby_6kl posted:

Is Nurburgring better on weekdays or weekend in terms of traffic and waiting? I'm about 200 km away so could go at any point.

Also, does anyone know how the track days work on Hockenhimring? Yesterday two guys I met there said it's only on Thursdays so I might have missed my chance due to my boss's boring party :(

Evenings during the week will have less people but if you get there as soon as it opens on weekends it isn't too bad. By noon or so on nice weekends it's pretty packed from what I've seen. Even when it's busy the traffic on track isn't too bad and passing or getting passed really isn't an issue as long as people are paying attention.

As for Hockenheim - http://www.hockenheimring.de/en/action-track-days

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Thanks guys.

ionn posted:

Then you have no business whatsoever not being there every other weekend and whatever random free weekday night you have. I'm about 1500km away, so it's a multi-day roadtrip.

That's only temporarily while I'm in the region on business, unfortunately :)

That's not the "do laps in your car" thing, though, which is this but provides no information:
http://www.hockenheimring.de/en/tourist-rides
I wasn't able to call any of their numbers for some reason so this really blows as it's literally 15 minutes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I picked up a Spec Miata in Reno 2 weeks ago for $5k and raced it last weekend at The Ridge in Shelton, WA. It's a 1.6 that came with 2 sets of wheels with toyos on them. It also has a Sparco ADV seat, racepak G2X data logger with predictive lap timing (need to learn how to use the timer), SPX intake and some exhaust system that I can't remember who made it. I ran in ITA and only got last by .5s. I was also about 6s off the midpack SM pace. I think it was pretty good for a first outting and having my seat too far back. I'm extremely happy with the car. It's much easier in every way than my F500 car. I want to get it painted up and redo all the decals before next season. White is just boring and some of the decals are messed up at the very least.