Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
How it went for me:

McFrugal posted:

Well, in the version I played, you started out in a spaceship and got to choose from five drop pods, each led to starting areas of varying difficulty. The progression is basically:
1) grow some trees, make tcon tools, use some reputation to get some quick food, then crops you can farm to deal with hunger
2) mine under the base for some starting metals
3) do some quests that send you out to scout nearby locations, making the mad dash across the taint. each location has a teleporter that you can use to return to base (and go back and forth). Die horribly, over and over again, hop into creative so you can see the world, get bored and quit.
4) discover new metals at other locations, use reputation gained from doing quests to gain stuff you're missing
5) scavenge ethereal blooms from other teleport locations, use them to clean the area near your base so you can expand
6) research research
7) more scouting, more quests, more research, better cleaning tools
8) become a magic god, clean the world

It wasn't a bad map, but I'd never had to deal with taint before and Minecraft combat is awful. I really love what they did with the rest of it, and I'm super excited to see if they finished the spaceship: As part of my creative "fly around looking at poo poo" excursion, I wanted to see the ship from the outside. There is a lot, a lot of goddamn empty ship there. Like a three story tall, possibly working nuclear reactor, for starters. I hope they've actually fleshed it out for the re-release, it was pretty drat neat. Not quite as cool as the ship in Mindfold Paradox, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

That's one Hell of a custom title.

I played Blightfall when it first came out and it was okay. It doesn't help that I'm bad at Minecraft. But I'm hype as gently caress to try it again thanks to all that fluff.

I got my title making hundreds of nerds really, really mad (if you want more details, go check the griefing thread, it's within like the past 10 pages). It's a good title and I enjoy having it :)

RickVoid posted:

How it went for me:

It wasn't a bad map, but I'd never had to deal with taint before and Minecraft combat is awful. I really love what they did with the rest of it, and I'm super excited to see if they finished the spaceship: As part of my creative "fly around looking at poo poo" excursion, I wanted to see the ship from the outside. There is a lot, a lot of goddamn empty ship there. Like a three story tall, possibly working nuclear reactor, for starters. I hope they've actually fleshed it out for the re-release, it was pretty drat neat. Not quite as cool as the ship in Mindfold Paradox, but still.

For both of you, and for anyone else looking to conquer the blightscape when Blightfall 2.0 comes out, here's some survival tips. Some of them might change with 2.0, some might not, but it's stuff that might be worth knowing, depending on how much changes.

-Dig down! The protection from the Silverwood Tree extends from bedrock to the ceiling of the world.
-Request seeds on cooldown. Melons are really handy, as are berries, and with 3-4 varieties of berries and some watermelons, you can keep yourself full on food forever pretty easily.
-Foodwise, food worth half a pip of hunger won't go down from half a pip to ineffective until you've eaten that food 7 times recently. Additionally, the game only tracks the last 12 things you've eaten, so 7 melon slices will clear most of your food history so you can get more out of valuable foods like meat.
-A good early weapon is a frying pan with a piston modifier, it'll bang things several blocks and get them out of your face. Unfortunately it'll make blighted swarms (those loving butts of flying pink dots) glitch out and their hitbox won't track at all with their graphics, but it will at least smash them out of your face.
-When traversing blight for scouting missions, mash jump while you sprint along. Getting poisoned from standing on blight is related to how much time you spend in contact with blight, and being airborne 90% of the time will drastically cut down on how much damage you take from touching blight.
-Boats (and swimming) are your friend - the only difference between blighted water and clean water is that blighted water doesn't spawn squids, and it's purple.
-Related to the above, Biodome Beta might be easier than Biodome Alpha (not sure). I started at Alpha and it was my main base, but most of my scouting runs started at Beta because it's on the edge of the ocean. I think Delta is also right near some ocean, but I'm not sure and it doesn't get much soil to work with It think.

Beyond that, you gotta do Thaumcraft to get much done, and at least do enough research to get Ethereal Blooms. There's a good "discover every aspect" guide here that'll get you through most everything quickly. If there's something you can't get ahold of easily, look up what aspects go into it and just make a point of it on your research table and it'll unlock.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Well, in the version I played, you started out in a spaceship and got to choose from five drop pods, each led to starting areas of varying difficulty. The progression is basically:
1) grow some trees, make tcon tools, use some reputation to get some quick food, then crops you can farm to deal with hunger
2) mine under the base for some starting metals
3) do some quests that send you out to scout nearby locations, making the mad dash across the taint. each location has a teleporter that you can use to return to base (and go back and forth)
4) discover new metals at other locations, use reputation gained from doing quests to gain stuff you're missing
5) scavenge ethereal blooms from other teleport locations, use them to clean the area near your base so you can expand
6) research research
7) more scouting, more quests, more research, better cleaning tools
8) become a magic god, clean the world

It's not really grindy, but tech ore can be hard to come by. Oh, you need to have a tolerance for Thaumcraft research of course, as Thaumcraft progression is required to get anywhere. I guess you can skip most of it and only use the parts dealing with taint removal? Also the gear you want. There's some Blood Magic later in the pack, which can be considered grindy I guess. It can be difficult at the start since the scouting quests make you run through tainted land filled with nasty things that want to kill you. Some experience in dealing with packs of dangerous mobs is required- either running from them or killing them without armor. Obviously once you've geared up and researched enough thaumcraft to get good cleaning tools you've got a good handle on things.

It definitely has a good atmosphere. There are a bunch of custom-made structures, and there are NPCs to talk to in the ship now.

Apparently a while back someone let slip the easy way to do the mad dash - Taintrells are removed by water....

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Pah, don't do it the lame way. Sprint and bunnyhop like an FPS player! :cheeky:

If you keep moving, have food, and hop a lot, you can do every trek in the game. If you start at Alpha and do the "discover the plains structure" scouting quest that's north of Alpha, it's only like a 200m dash, and relatively easy. From there you can do the Swamp quest pretty easily (which also opens up the next tier of metal and let's you go from Soft Metal to Hard Metal), and from the swamp teleport point you can access everything that's near the ocean, which is almost all of the remaining points. There's like... five of the ~20 that aren't readily grabbable with sea travel, which is also far and away the best way to find new nodes safely, and scanning nodes as you sale around is one of the best ways to get tons of research points for all the primal aspects, which can trivialize most thaumcraft research.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Yeah, I played Blightfall with Kilran, fellow goon, and it was fun. I never liked the Thaumcraft scanning and research, so I just added a ton of points and set it to easy (we were in agreement on everything). Ended up with making my own version of it, as a new modpack, adding and changing things as we felt like it. Added minefactory reloaded laser drills, removed AE2 controllers (because of my cable chaos that I didn't want to figure out), added powersuits and jetpacks, as well as lot's of other things. It was great fun and we had a huuuge area cleared, several big reactors, four laser drills, big factory, the mod that let you put Thaumcraft essence into AE and use from it, it was awesome. Felt like we had conquered the world. Never mind the cheating, we won.

Maybe I'll trick him into playing it with me again, he is a good guy. And he reads this thread, nudge nudge wink wink hint hint.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Expanding the dome from the top is also fairly viable once you can get on top of it, taintrells can't get up to your location unless you have blocks connecting your base to the ground...I think? I haven't done much with the current version of thaumcraft.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Magres posted:

Yeah the food system is the worst part of blightfall, though if you request seeds a bunch and get 4 kinds of berry bushes and grow them to a dozen of each, you're totally set for food.

It got kind of grindy when I hit the end of the tech, because I was just shuffling ethereal blooms to clear land, but apparently the new update is adding higher tech taint clearing, to the point that you fly around on an airship that clears blight as you fly it around, which is pretty awesome.

The food tech was heavily rebalanced, the diminishing curve is really different now. We didn't end up adding airships- all of our options were a terrible buggy mess. But we added the Dawn Machine we showed a picture of last month and something called the Offering of Motus that lets you teleport a dawn machine with its essentia rig wherever you want, so that should allow you to cleanse large sections of the world pretty easily, provided you've got an essentia factory, when you get to the endgame. There's also an actual ending that feels pretty good when you cleanse the whole map. Running the dawn machine with all the essentia types is actually really cool, it feels awesome to watch this pillar of fire dance around the map turning it into a regular minecraft landscape, you feel incredible.

We changed the death system- we got rid of HQM's heart/lives system in favor of losing 10 rep every time you die. If you die a lot (like A LOT, dozens and dozens of times), it's possible to get a "bad ending" quest where the mission is called off. The "good ending" quest will never unlock in that mode, but everything else stays the same rather than deleting your map or whatever the hell HQM does. The main thing isn't that we give you a game over, it's just that deaths matter because they make it harder to rely on buying stuff from the ship to keep your base afloat. I want to say that the intention is that keepInventory is true as a result, but I'm not sure if that's in the final version.

We also filled out the blood magic questline better & added a botania questline so a 3-player team can each have a magic job that compliments the rest. Botania has things like botania flowers being taint-immune, pure lilies cleanse taint too, and we tie botania progress to exploration by making it so that you can only get a flower color from floral fertilizer if that color of flower was used to make it. So it encourages you to get out into the world and find more flower types at the various POI's. The ore book includes mining levels & a world map showing where you can find ore types, and unlocks new ones in the book as you dig up the ones you've unlocked. In the mid and late game there's a black market that you can use, too. I still think that the initial orefind is grindier than I'd have liked, but it's not as bad as it was.

Blightfall is still a really specific type of pack. I think if branch mining makes you retch, which is reasonable, it's gonna get old before you get to the good part unless you have friends- it's balanced for teams of 3. So if you've got 3 it'll feel tough, but good. With teams of 4 it's even on the easy side since you can mob anything that gets in your way & collect resources pretty fast. If you're by yourself, it feels more like a FTB style pack during the parts where you need to find your first sample of each ore, and scary places like the tainted village really reveal the weakness of minecraft's combat when you're by yourself. On the other hand, it's way spookier, so if you're cool with some minecraft grindiness but want atmosphere, it might be worth it to play by yourself.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 10, 2015

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

TheresaJayne posted:

Apparently a while back someone let slip the easy way to do the mad dash - Taintrells are removed by water....

Jumping is probably better - the water doesn't flow into blocks with Fiberous taint so you need to clear it block by block. This is slow enough that mobs are a issue. It is however useful for clearing out caves and such.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also, too many bug fixes to mention. Not just in our stuff but in the mods too. HQM, for instance...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I didn't even realize you guys had Botania in there. I'm excited! It's a good mod, I've been playing FTB Botania a lot recently and really enjoying it, and being able to get the effects of boots of the traveler without taking up my armor foot slot is really nice

E: Just noticed that the URL is JA-EXCCCS-004-01, similar to the JA-EXCCCS-###-## on the other cryo pods. Niiice

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 10, 2015

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Yeah, botania's going to be real handy once you get into it even though I really like the look of Traveller's gear...shame it's not that protective at all in the long run : (

I'd imagine dying would be less punishing once you have a good source of earning rep set up so that might be a thing I'd get done first.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If the bread quest makes its return and you automate bread production, you'll be rolling in dough. Though unless the rep rewards got lowered a lot, you'll have plenty of rep - I've never really felt like I kneaded more, though it couldn't hurt to trye to get nigh infinite amounts.

I am a bad person

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Magres posted:

If the bread quest makes its return and you automate bread production, you'll be rolling in dough. Though unless the rep rewards got lowered a lot, you'll have plenty of rep - I've never really felt like I kneaded more, though it couldn't hurt to trye to get nigh infinite amounts.

I am a bad person

Well bread does need to be used in more than one way before Pam's harvestcraft was considered to be added to the modpack, after all due to spice of life you won't be getting much hunger out of repeated whole meals but if you just make a furnace you can get rather toasty real quick.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Day 4 in the Big Brother Spaceship.

Make sure you click the tendril again. :stare:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 10, 2015

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I also liked just chilling with Shiitake in the conference room. Confused as to why they were a science officer and not a crazed wizard like they were on our server in progress though.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 10, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
What's a good EE slash ex nihilo type skyblock map nowadays? Bonus points for no HQM.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Thyrork posted:

Some taint seems to be growing on the camera lens too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Shukaro posted:

What's a good EE slash ex nihilo type skyblock map nowadays? Bonus points for no HQM.

I've enjoyed the majority of Void World which is ProjectE, no Ex Nihilo and has HQM. Mainly because having most of your resources embedded in fluid EMC allows for rapid development and the prizes will eventually yield things that give hundreds of thousands of EMC. There comes a point in time that the quests require ridiculous numbers of some item to complete some of which cannot be reproduced via transformation (looking at you rubber saplings, blazing pyrotheum, and cryotheum). And of those that can you'll need to set up some EMC generating loop to secure them; blaze rods seem to have the smallest footprint in terms of resource and space cost.

Oh and The General boss fight is dumb and highlights the worst of minecraft's combat system. Cheese it entirely, doing it 'honourably' requires grinding to afford red matter armour and the like.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thyrork posted:

I'm pretty hype, I'm hoping some crazy poo poo is going on with the ship and the areas you can't access in Blightfall 1.0 without cheating.

The update drops the morning of my birthday, too :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wait, we have a date on the Blightfall update now? I can't view anything technic at work :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think so, there's a timer at the bottom of the screen that finishes about 44.5 hours from now, and the thing at the top indicates that there's 6 days of promo stuff, so Day 5 tomorrow, Day 6 Wednesday, then release on Thursday, hopefully.

Also from the Day 3 stuff from the middle cryo pod, it looks like they may have added some new tainted enemies cause one of the lines is "Oh, hey, I think I see one of the unclassified fauna. It's in the river, coming towards me. Looks like it might be passive. Some sort of bird, maybe." Whelp there goes my standard plan of hide in the water. On the bright side, new weapons maybe, the Day 4 log talks about a needle rifle, which sounds cool.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 10, 2015

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009

Magres posted:

I think so, there's a timer at the bottom of the screen that finishes about 44.5 hours from now, and the thing at the top indicates that there's 6 days of promo stuff, so Day 5 tomorrow, Day 6 Wednesday, then release on Thursday, hopefully.

Also from the Day 3 stuff from the middle cryo pod, it looks like they may have added some new tainted enemies cause one of the lines is "Oh, hey, I think I see one of the unclassified fauna. It's in the river, coming towards me. Looks like it might be passive. Some sort of bird, maybe." Whelp there goes my standard plan of hide in the water. On the bright side, new weapons maybe, the Day 4 log talks about a needle rifle, which sounds cool.

Tainted Chickens have always been a thing in Thaumcraft. Psure i recall them chasing me in water too.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Nick Esasky posted:

Tainted Chickens have always been a thing in Thaumcraft. Psure i recall them chasing me in water too.

Yeah, the mention of a weird chuckle has me think it's a tchicken as well.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh right, forgot about them :doh:

They're easily the scariest tainted animal too!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Magres posted:

the Day 4 log talks about a needle rifle, which sounds cool.

Fairly sure that is the needle rifle from MFR.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I saw the mention of the needle rifle, and if it does mean MFR, I'm chuffed about access to automation without having to go full golem.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
MFR is in Blightfall 1.0, which I didn't actually realize until I just looked at the mod list again. drat! I hadn't really bothered with the industrial stuff in Blightfall because I thought it was just Thermal Expansion and didn't really see the point of TE without things to power with the Redstone Flux. That's gonna make breadfarming for rep much easier, and I think you can set up a pretty easy infinite rep loop if you automate harvesting wheat, automate crafting bread, and automate submitting bread. If it takes less RF to make enough bread than it does to requisition a refilled energy cell, you've even got a renewable energy creation loop!

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 10, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Oh god vent it out an airlock :stonk:

Alkydere posted:

Some taint seems to be growing on the camera lens too.

Pretty sure that's frost. It's not a camera, that's you looking out of the fourth cryo pod.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I remember the frost being more white and less purple yesterday, though that could be my eyes playing tricks on me

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

I've enjoyed the majority of Void World which is ProjectE, no Ex Nihilo and has HQM. Mainly because having most of your resources embedded in fluid EMC allows for rapid development and the prizes will eventually yield things that give hundreds of thousands of EMC. There comes a point in time that the quests require ridiculous numbers of some item to complete some of which cannot be reproduced via transformation (looking at you rubber saplings, blazing pyrotheum, and cryotheum). And of those that can you'll need to set up some EMC generating loop to secure them; blaze rods seem to have the smallest footprint in terms of resource and space cost.

Oh and The General boss fight is dumb and highlights the worst of minecraft's combat system. Cheese it entirely, doing it 'honourably' requires grinding to afford red matter armour and the like.

The General? Do you mean the one from the runescape mod? The one that has a something like 200 damage AoE attack when he stomps? IIRC the mod says something like you're supposed to use the runescape equipment with bonus "defense" mods to fight stupid poo poo like that but you really should just fly and smack him in the face or pelt him with some sort of ranged attack. His melee attack does less damage, I think.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

I remember the frost being more white and less purple yesterday, though that could be my eyes playing tricks on me

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I actually don't remember it all but that could be me just not noticing things.

Honestly, it's a Thaumcraft based pack focused on taint, so I'm automatically suspicious of anything purple.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The timer hit's 0 at midnight on Wednesday, that blows because Tuesday Wednesday are my days off :(

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

McFrugal posted:

The General? Do you mean the one from the runescape mod? The one that has a something like 200 damage AoE attack when he stomps? IIRC the mod says something like you're supposed to use the runescape equipment with bonus "defense" mods to fight stupid poo poo like that but you really should just fly and smack him in the face or pelt him with some sort of ranged attack. His melee attack does less damage, I think.

I think it's just some sort of coked up CustomNPC, thankfully. Nearly as bad though.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

The timer hit's 0 at midnight on Wednesday, that blows because Tuesday Wednesday are my days off :(

Mine are Wed-Thu, so I would've preferred a Wed morning release, but it is a challenge to be alive.

Magres posted:

I got my title making hundreds of nerds really, really mad (if you want more details, go check the griefing thread, it's within like the past 10 pages). It's a good title and I enjoy having it :)

Hahahaha holy poo poo that's great.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
For a while I thought the intended method of playing this pack was going to be growing a redwood for shelter and doing what you could within it before it rots around you and you have to build another base

which I responded internally with 'you sons of bitches' and also 'alright that is pretty ridiculous and I dig it'

same response I gave when I read why you can't craft vanilla tools in the first Blightfall

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Are there still gonna be safe domes to start us in, because you think they would of noticed them by now, or does the ship itself drop glass domes from the sky?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
In Blightfall 1 they mention realizing that Silverwoods block taint and immediately throwing teleporter pads and domes down near a bunch of the silverwoods they could find. When you do the scouting mission for a forest with a bunch of silverwoods in it the scout is pretty much like "yeah sorry we just threw these domes down ASAP before we noticed the big patch of silverwoods."

I'm guessing Day 5 is gonna be realizing the Silverwoods block taint, Day 6 will be setting up the domes, and then release. Assuming they keep the same basic storyline of Blightfall 1, but who knows? I'm still hoping for some kind of infection crisis on the ship because I enjoy the idea of having the rug pulled out from underneath you with regards to your safe haven in the sky.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Final endgame is building a teleporter back to the ship to clear it of Taint

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Blind Duke posted:

Final endgame is building a teleporter back to the ship to clear it of Taint

This with some like heavy duty room to room combat with things trying to break your taint cleaning gizmos would be metal as gently caress. Retaking the ship back room by room and having to, say, barricade the room before you open the doors to let your taint cleaning stuff work on the next room, then smash into the room to lock it down, finish cleaning up, and prep for the next room. End by killing gravemind the taint hivemind

Something for Blightfall 3.0 ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So a server I'm on is having a strange problem and google isn't helping any.

There are so many Hobgoblins spawning that the game is lagging for some people to the point where playing is flat out impossible. Is there anything we can do to make them go away?