Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Nondescript Van posted:

in the 3d mark API overhead test with DX12, about what score should 2x gtx 980 at close to stock speeds get? I've been having driver issues and I can't find the compare for the API test, just the other benchmarks.

If you're talking about the draw call test the number you get is completely meaningless since it's an API test not a graphics test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
PowerVR still exists?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

PowerVR still exists?

Their IP is used in every single Apple SoC, so yeah they're doing okay.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Pretty much every thing with an ARM chip has one, so lots and lots of mobile devices. Hence the low power hardware.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Tanreall posted:

If you're talking about the draw call test the number you get is completely meaningless since it's an API test not a graphics test.

I know. I was having issues (still am in other areas), and I wanted to check. For example, I reinstalled the same drivers and the single GPU result doubled. I want to make sure it's on par with other similar systems in SLI.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DrDork posted:

PowerVR still exists?

Only in every single iPhone on the planet.

e:fb

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

DrDork posted:

PowerVR still exists?

Not only do they exist, but their GPUs are competitive with Intel and they feature in like 50% of all mobile devices. They're actually in a good place right now and getting better, TBH wouldn't be surprised to see Purple Team make a comeback to higher end stuff.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Only in every single iPhone on the planet.

I guess I just haven't seen their name around since I swore off Apple products years ago. My last memory of them was back when Diamond was still competing with ATi. Glad to hear they're doing fine, though! More players means more better for everyone, really.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DrDork posted:

I guess I just haven't seen their name around since I swore off Apple products years ago. My last memory of them was back when Diamond was still competing with ATi. Glad to hear they're doing fine, though! More players means more better for everyone, really.

They're in a huge variety of Android products too. PowerVR is cleaning up in the mobile world.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Pretty sure Intel actually uses one of their graphics IP blocks on one of it's mobile SOCs, too. Atom Z3770 or something?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Actually, I'd bet a GX6850 could give an R7 a run for it's money and next Gen PowerVR will be competitive with a GTX750Ti, bet on it. I doubt they'll ever get back into GPU card space but man it'd be pretty cool.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I think I want to upgrade to a 980 Ti, what does the thread think I can get for a 970 Golden Edition?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlayVus posted:

So I think I want to upgrade to a 980 Ti, what does the thread think I can get for a 970 Golden Edition?

Where do you live? I know it would sell at near retail on my local cl.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

Where do you live? I know it would sell at near retail on my local cl.

I live in a lovely little college town. Probably very few gamers, but I do have access to a couple FB groups for local gamers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then go ebay i say. Emphasize the GOLDEN EDITION and hope you hook a china whale looking to sli his current golden edition.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Gwaihir posted:

Pretty sure Intel actually uses one of their graphics IP blocks on one of it's mobile SOCs, too. Atom Z3770 or something?

No, the SGX 545 was used in previous-gen Intel Atoms (Z2xxx series), Z3xxxs use Intel's own GPU. Phone Atoms still use PowerVR GPU, not sure about Airmont though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nondescript Van posted:

I know. I was having issues (still am in other areas), and I wanted to check. For example, I reinstalled the same drivers and the single GPU result doubled. I want to make sure it's on par with other similar systems in SLI.

SLI makes the draw call test worse because there's more driver overhead in managing SLI. Here's my system, 4790k + SLI 970, in both modes the day after I did a clean install of Windows 10: http://www.3dmark.com/compare/aot/54774/aot/54688 These tests were run however many minutes apart it took to run through all the 3DMark tests with SLI off before I enabled it and ran through again.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
the MSI Gaming 980Ti should be pretty solid, right? (The Gigabyte G1 is considerably more where I'm looking) Tax refund's coming so I'm going to pull the trigger soon.

Also, if I pick one up, should I worry about putting any more fans on the Deep Silence 1 it's going inside, bearing in mind we do get stinking hot summers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you have a 970/980 whose BIOS doesn't come with a 0% fan at idle option, definitely look into tweaking it. I just did it for my Gigabyte 970 and while it's not necessarily quieter due to my case fans, it's nice knowing it's not drawing in dust necessarily.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So are :filez: my only free option for firestrike extreme/ultimate? Would really like to get a proper benchmark. Or is there a way to pick it up on the cheap? Don't feel like spending 20 bucks on a benchmark program.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

veedubfreak posted:

So are :filez: my only free option for firestrike extreme/ultimate? Would really like to get a proper benchmark. Or is there a way to pick it up on the cheap? Don't feel like spending 20 bucks on a benchmark program.

Pretty sure the demo has the 1080p version. You just have to sit through the pointless demo . I don't regret buying 3dmark though

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

veedubfreak posted:

All the money you spend on GPU side grades and you can't spend 20$ on a program? C'mon man

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So uhh...its August...where's the Nano?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Seamonster posted:

So uhh...its August...where's the Nano?
Likely end of month

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Likely end of month
RIP back to school season.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Captain Yossarian posted:

All the money you spend on GPU side grades and you can't spend 20$ on a program? C'mon man

I was hoping no one would call me on that ><

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

When nvidia refers to Q1 2016 for the first Pascal units, does that mean Jan-Mar or the business newspeak quarters.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

veedubfreak posted:

should've bought it in one of the steam sales for $5

Or newegg has the suspiciously-low-on-details cost of $10 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800127008 e: oh wait that's 3dmark 11 not the current one. whatever

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

should've bought it in one of the steam sales for $5

Or newegg has the suspiciously-low-on-details cost of $10 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800127008 e: oh wait that's 3dmark 11 not the current one. whatever

I'll have to watch Steam.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

Give him a break. He just got fleeced on a new car.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Would a 4gb 760 be enough to drive a single ultra wide 1440 on medium settings with high fps for games that came out between 2012-2014?

I have a big backlog of older steam games to get through! I'd likely be upgrading video card with next round of releases, but I'm thinking of getting a nice monitor now

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Give him a break. He just got fleeced on a new car.

Only in the sense that I was unable to negotiate price and had to pay MSRP. At least I didn't pay the 5k markup other dealers are charging.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Massasoit posted:

Would a 4gb 760 be enough to drive a single ultra wide 1440 on medium settings with high fps for games that came out between 2012-2014?

I have a big backlog of older steam games to get through! I'd likely be upgrading video card with next round of releases, but I'm thinking of getting a nice monitor now

That's a relative question but thats going to be on the lower end of acceptability imo. Medium settings though in most games is actually quite easy on cards, but that ultrawide is like running 2.5 1080p monitors at once

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

veedubfreak posted:

Only in the sense that I was unable to negotiate price and had to pay MSRP. At least I didn't pay the 5k markup other dealers are charging.

Just like hank hill, never pay more than sticker. deal of the century.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Jesus, finally, Nvidia announced their Maxwell Quadros. What the gently caress took so drat long?!

Double-whammy on the Nvidia news: http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Overclock-any-NVIDIA-GPU-Desktop-and-Mobile-New-Utility

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 11, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jesus, finally, Nvidia announced their Maxwell Quadros. What the gently caress took so drat long?!
M6000 has been out for several months. These are just cut-down versions.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Just like hank hill, never pay more than sticker. deal of the century.

Apparently some people don't understand the concept of "limited production".

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

M6000 has been out for several months. These are just cut-down versions.

While what I do in Solidworks is somewhat demanding, it ain't M6000-demanding.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

veedubfreak posted:

Apparently some people don't understand the concept of "limited production".

Corollas are "limited production" in the sense that an infinite number are not produced, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I have a type r car

really lol