Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:siren: Premiering TONIGHT, Oct 2nd! :siren:

Westworld has a 10 episode first season that will air Sundays. The first 8 episodes will air from tonight until November 20th, episodes 9 and 10 do not have air dates at this point in time (see end of this post for schedule).

After missing their first announced date of "2015", HBO's Westworld is finally premiering TONIGHT, Oct 2nd, 2016

Based on the 1973 film, which was written and directed by Michael Crichton (the Jurassic Park Guy), Westworld is a near-future Science Fiction series about a Western-themed park populated by artificial humans. Visitors live out all their Western fantasies, including gun-fighting, horseback riding, and saloon fights.

But something goes wrong...

Westworld was created by Jonathan Nolan, brother to Christopher Nolan, and JJ Abrams is an Executive Producer, so besides the acting talent there are a lot of popular, big name production people behind the camera.

Previews for this show have been encouraging:

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3u0IlBBO4 :nws:

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4 :nws:

... and the all-star cast is chock-full of talent:

Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Robert Ford, the brilliant creative director of Westworld.

Ed Harris as the Gunslinger.

Evan Rachel Wood as Dolores Abernathy, a Western girl who discovers her entire life is an elaborately constructed lie.

James Marsden as Teddy Flood, a newly arrived gunslinger in pursuit of a local beauty.

Thandie Newton as Maeve Millay, the beautiful and sharp madame of Westworld.

Jeffrey Wright as Bernard Lowe, head of the Westworld Programming Division and creator of artificial people.

Tessa Thompson as Charlotte Hale, a mysterious and savvy provocateur with a unique perspective on Westworld.

Sidse Babett Knudsen as Theresa Cullen, Westworld’s terse operations leader, responsible for keeping the park from sliding into unscripted chaos.

Jimmi Simpson as William, a reluctant first time visitor to Westworld, joining his friend, Logan. Initially dismissive of the park’s more lascivious attractions, he slowly uncovers a deeper meaning to the park’s narrative.

Rodrigo Santoro as Hector Escaton, a wanted man bent on survival.

Shannon Woodward as Elsie Hughes, a rising star in the Programming Division tasked with remedying odd behavior in the park's artificial beings.

Ingrid Bolsø Berdal as Armistice, a brutal and ruthless bandit.

Ben Barnes as Logan, a louche bachelor and veteran Westworld guest. His hedonistic romp through Westworld is equally motivated by self-indulgence and a desire to help his friend, William.

Simon Quarterman as Lee Sizemore, Westworld's narrative director, whose artistic temperament aggravates his co-workers.

Angela Sarafyan as Clementine Pennyfeather, an artificial being and one of Westworld's most popular attractions.

Luke Hemsworth as Ashley Stubbs, the no-nonsense head of Security, charged with monitoring host and human interactions and ensuring the safety of the guests.

Clifton Collins Jr. as Lawrence, a charming but lethal outlaw, with a knack for maneuvering and negotiating the various criminal elements of Westworld.

(Credit to Wikipedia for these descriptions)

Episode Schedule, spoiler-ed in case people don't want to see episode titles:

:siren: FAQ: How do the guns work?! :siren:

insider posted:

How Guns Work in Westworld:

AX: We see that the guests can shoot the android hosts, and the hosts can’t shoot each other, but theoretically, the guests can’t shoot each other and the hosts can’t shoot the guests. Are the guns built so that they can detect human physiology as opposed to android physiology, or how does that work?

NOLAN: It’s not the guns. It’s the bullets. We thought a lot about this. In the original film, the guns won’t operate guest on guest. But we felt like the guests would want to have a more visceral experience here. So when they’re shot and it has an impact, they’re called “simunitions.” The U.S. military trains with rounds like the ones we’re talking about. There’s a bit of an impact, a bit of a sting. So it’s not entirely consequence-free for the guests.

https://www.assignmentx.com/2016/westworld-co-creator-jonathan-nolan-re-envisions-the-michael-crichton-classic-interview/

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ed Harris as the gunslinger should be pretty awesome. Yul Brynner's shoes are going to be hard to fill though.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For the record, Jonah Nolan co-writes most of his brother's movies, notable exception being Inception. He also created Person of Interest which features one of if not the best depiction of Artificial Intelligence in both film and movies. Westworld is a passion project between him and his wife and given his personal track record, should be pretty loving amazing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought this was still date less?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have no idea how they'll stretch it to series length but this does sound pretty awesome. Will check it out, hadn't heard of it before now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

I thought this was still date less?

Apparently it is premiering July 12th

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."
This has a good cast and production team, I am looking forward to this.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I had no clue it was out so soon. I've been looking forward to this since it was announced.

Ed Harris as proto-terminator should be a fun thing to watch. I wonder if they'll update the themepark, western, roman and like pirates or zombies or something (I hope not).

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 14, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is that gif showing? Looks like Ed Harris is moving a few inches?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is one third of the only footage we have so far of the show; 3 seconds from last year in one of those HBO promos for various tv shows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IMLt-fRIuw

The other two seconds were two people outside riding on horseback in the classical western 'mesa' desert and a muscular android on a vitruvian man service ring:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 14, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot figure out exactly why HBO has released 5 seconds of preview for a show due out in a few weeks. Does this mean they are super confident in it and expect it to be a sleeper hit?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Professor Shark posted:

I cannot figure out exactly why HBO has released 5 seconds of preview for a show due out in a few weeks. Does this mean they are super confident in it and expect it to be a sleeper hit?

If I had that cast and creative team I'd be pretty confident too.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I thought Jonathan Nolan was heading up a HBO miniseries for Asimov's Foundation books?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

drunkill posted:

Ed Harris as proto-terminator should be a fun thing to watch. I wonder if they'll update the themepark, western, roman and like pirates or zombies or something (I hope not).

That image alone's got my interest. I completely forgot this was a thing that was coming out until now.

On the movies, is Futureworld worth seeing at all? I've only seen the first, didn't bother with the sequel.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If I had that cast and creative team I'd be pretty confident too.

This doesn't comfort me after The Counselor, which was the most amazing movie in years... on paper.

Now I'm cynical.

Cromlech posted:

I thought Jonathan Nolan was heading up a HBO miniseries for Asimov's Foundation books?

Another HBO show that seems to be tightly under wraps.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't even know Westworld had a sequel.

Chrtrptnt
Aug 18, 2008
I was thinking this wasn't coming out until next year for some reason. Probably with how little i've seen about it other than cast announcements. I'm really excited for this and hope its entertaining at least.

I picked up Futureworld on bluray when I saw it and Westworld in a $2 bin. It's a serviceable sequel, not bad and not great. It has some good scenes, but I just kept thinking how there's a really good movie to be made by cutting both of them up and mixing the scenes together. It is definitely worth a watch, even out of curiosity. It does still have Yul Brynner being the Gunslinger, so it has that going for it aside from the plot being really crazy.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Wasn't there another sequel / TV show? It wasn't very good, as it was about robots escaping the 'park' and running around in the world, and the park owners hiding it.

Its perfect for HBO, since IIRC the movies hinted about human + robot sex as part of the park experience?

(Since that's pretty much a requirement for HBO shows).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There was a Westworld tv series in the seventies that lasted half a season. I don't think I watched it, just saw commercials for it when Sci Fi used to run failed sci fi shows when I was young.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chrtrptnt posted:

I was thinking this wasn't coming out until next year for some reason.

It isn't

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

King Vidiot posted:

On the movies, is Futureworld worth seeing at all? I've only seen the first, didn't bother with the sequel.

gently caress no.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM8HNuRLIBI

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This is good

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm off work today so I'm watching HBO GO and browsing old tv/iv stuff

I looked up the latest on Westworld and there was a break in filming back in January so that the writers could go back over the last 4 episodes of the season, filming resumed sometime in March

I'm guessing that the rewrite was to ensure this series could conclude with a single season and work as a miniseries unless it did well with critics and viewers

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have no idea how they'll stretch it to series length but this does sound pretty awesome. Will check it out, hadn't heard of it before now.

Head of Operations Guy: We can't shut down and evacuate all the customers because of one two just a few minor malfunctions! There's over a billion dollars invested in the park and the tech to make it work!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They will probably just make each epside a monster of the week inside the different simulations, like near the end of the movie where yul brenner runs through the roman simulation etc

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Everything I've read pushes the idea that the series will explore what it means to be human

I think the show has been beaten to the punch

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Is this the original story that The Simpsons kinda reference in the Itchy and Scratchy world episode?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the one.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Wtf happend to this show? Did they completely redo it because there were to many tits? how did vinyl get green lit and this gets mysteriously poo poo canned for a year? Whats up with hbo lately?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Lots of reshoots and a small cast change too apparently.

Anyway, they showed off a trailer/sizzle reel this weekend and people are raving about it, I wonder if they'll show off a new teaser before/after the GOT finale.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/06/11/impressive-new-westworld-footage-debuts-at-atx-television-festival

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I dont know what this is about (some sort of sci fi thing with androids??)

but that trailer looked sexy as gently caress and now i'm interested. HBO doing sci-fi is very good in my book

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drunkill posted:

Lots of reshoots and a small cast change too apparently.

Anyway, they showed off a trailer/sizzle reel this weekend and people are raving about it, I wonder if they'll show off a new teaser before/after the GOT finale.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/06/11/impressive-new-westworld-footage-debuts-at-atx-television-festival

Good

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

OCTOBER. GET loving HYPE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3u0IlBBO4

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
This really looks amazing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This is looking wayyy better than I thought it would.

The robot mocking man's desire to meet God :stare:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah, this looks loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm watching Humans right now, it's temporarily scratching the Humans-playing-God-but-it-all-starts-to-go-wrong itch... for now.

• Locked thread