Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Comedy answer: Because the car was parked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cage posted:

Im on your wifes side, why use a parking brake in an auto?

Why do you hate parking pawls?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cage posted:

Because the parking pawl in the transmission is not intended to be the sole thing holding the vehicle in place. Check your manual, I guarantee that automatic or manual it'll say to use the parking brake. One of the reasons manufacturers like electronic parking brakes is they can (and do) set them up to automatically engage when the shifter is placed in park.

Also it's not a bad idea to have a secondary thing holding your car from moving, just like leaving a manual in gear while still using the parking brake.

Also if you don't use it regularly it's likely to not work properly when you actually need it, like parking on a steep hill. On my first two cars (both ~12 year old automatic Fords) the cable snapped the first time I went to use it.

tl;dr: Use your drat parking brakes.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cage posted:

You're joking, right? Putting an auto in P only engages a small pawl that catches notches on the output of the transmission. They can break if abused and if that's the only thing holding your car still, it will just roll off. Not to mention that using just the parking pawl on a hill can make shifting out of P rather difficult due to torque binding. Never using the hand brake is a sure way to make sure it jams up at an inconvenient time or doesn't work when you need it. Park your car the right way and you have two things keeping it where you left it: for autos that's the hand brake and the pawl, for manuals that's the hand brake and engine compression.

Also, if she can't figure out a hand brake, sever.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You guys are crazy.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Cage posted:

You guys are crazy.

Automative Insanity, you don't say? Also, we're right about the parking brake thing :colbert:, not just assholes. Learn to operate your vehicle and AI won't jump on your poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I use a parking brake in my manual car, Ill never touch it in my auto.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But if you're parking on a perfectly horizontal parking lot 99% of the time it's completely harmless to not use the handbrake. If the car sits still while in neutral that pawl is going to do just fine.

Though you should use the handbrake every so often just to make sure it's in working condition.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cage posted:

I use a parking brake in my manual car, Ill never touch it in my auto.

Do you leave your manual in gear when you park in addition to the parking brake? If so, why?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've always used the parking brake, doesn't matter what kind of transmission. It's like an extra half second worth of effort and seeing as my car's never rolled off or anything I'd say it works.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

Do you leave your manual in gear when you park in addition to the parking brake? If so, why?
Oh man you almost just zinged me!

Though this is all a silly debate because there are no hills in buffalo. If I lived in san fran yeah I'd probably use a parking brake in an auto.

Protocol7 posted:

I've always used the parking brake, doesn't matter what kind of transmission. It's like an extra half second worth of effort and seeing as my car's never rolled off or anything I'd say it works.
This, but replace always with never and no issues ever came up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why don't you just use the parking brake all the time? It's not exactly difficult or time-consuming.

You can argue that it's not strictly necessary in an automatic, but I still don't think that's a good excuse for not doing it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have to remind myself to leave the parking brake off in my parents' Forester or they will back out of the driveway and go half way down the block before the car dings at them enough to remind them that the parking brake is engaged.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Handbrakes/parking brakes are cool and good. You should use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YHjQNCw8kE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q171gDPulwQ

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I mean if everywhere you park is completely 100% flat I'd say don't bother except once a week just to keep it in use and make sure it's working. I don't bother using it in my garage but that's the only place I ever go that I'm 100% certain is completely flat. My girlfriend refuses to use hers and she parks on my driveway which has enough of an incline that your car would roll if left in neutral. I had assumed Cage's area was not completely flat since you once posted a photo of your car in your driveway on an incline. I guess you never park it on that section of your driveway, or that was some other person's driveway?

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 11, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

You can argue that it's not strictly necessary in an automatic, but I still don't think that's a good excuse for not doing it.

At least until you ask a friend to drive because you're piss drunk or something, and you wake up the morning with a vague memory of a burning stench and him bitching how little power your car has.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I never use a parking brake. I have never had an auto roll away. If you use a parking brake eventually some moron will drive all day with it on.

Edit beaten by someone with moron friends.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I had a late 2000-model car roll into mine at work. The car was an automatic and the driver didn't put it in park. It was found, engine off, resting against my back bumper in drive. Most cars don't let you take the keys out in anything but park but theirs must have been broken.

Team parking brake

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I even had to pay $500 to replace the parking brake in my mustang when I bought it because the previous owner never used it and it seized up. You think I'd be pro parking brake but my explorer has one of those goofy rear end "foot" mounted ones where you have to bring your knee up to your chest just to hit the drat thing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
How the gently caress is laziness ever a good excuse to not operate a heavy machine correctly?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Because nothing bad has happened and nothing bad will ever happen because of it.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Cage posted:

those goofy rear end "foot" mounted ones where you have to bring your knee up to your chest just to hit the drat thing.

Fun fact: for a while, *some Mercedes had these, even the manual transmission models.

Whiz Palace fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 11, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you turn your wheel properly the curb will stop your car. If there is no curb then use a tree.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

How the gently caress is laziness ever a good excuse to not operate a heavy machine correctly?

It's never a good excuse.

There's just disagreement on what "correct" is. :v:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Whiz Palace posted:

Fun fact: for a while, all Mercedes had these, even the manual transmission models.

That seems crazy. I can't find an image on google of that and I want to see 4 pedals crammed in there together. Any idea what years?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Always use the handbrake. Never leave my (manual) car or van in gear. If i'm parking on a hill i'll turn the front wheels into the curb, roll until it stop then set the brake, double safety that way.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

davebo posted:

That seems crazy. I can't find an image on google of that and I want to see 4 pedals crammed in there together. Any idea what years?

I was wrong, it was only a few models in the '90s/2000s. I was thinking of the W203 C-Class:

Car and Driver posted:

Shift throws, while light, are vague and rubbery, the accelerator and brake pedals could be hung closer together, the accelerator pedal has a kickdown switch from the automatic car, and the parking brake is foot operated.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

davebo posted:

Yes, because I'm too lazy to take it out of gear.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The people we share the road with are.. inside the thread.

Use your handbrakes! If you park on streets (even if it's flat) without it engaged, if some rear end in a top hat runs into the back of you and sends your car pinballing off down the street it means you're liable for the poo poo your car hits.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Use your handbrakes! If you park on streets (even if it's flat) without it engaged, if some rear end in a top hat runs into the back of you and sends your car pinballing off down the street it means you're liable for the poo poo your car hits.

Did you make that up? Yea.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

No, I uh, I don't think that's how it works. My car got rear-ended by a car who hit the car behind it, and hit the car in front of it. The guy who was liable for all three was the guy who hit the first car.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

But aren't the insurers going to go "well your car wasn't parked properly?" this is what I was told when I was learning to drive, but :britain:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Despite AI's hardon for using the parking brake, most people in the US do not. I don't know anyone who uses it for normal parking, but I live in the flatlands.

I don't have anything to back it up, but I feel pretty comfortable saying liability law in the US does not work that way, and that as long as it is in park and not on some crazy hill, the cops and insurance companies are not going to give it any consideration at all.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Also I guess it makes sense considering hardly anybody over here drives automatics, so at least there's some resistance rather than just being left rolling around in the street in neutral or whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know why the police would give a poo poo. They're going to take one look at the idiot that rammed a parked car and hand out appropriate citations. The only attention the other damaged vehicles are going to receive is making sure there's a place for the tow truck to swoop in and get the wreck out of the way.

I guess if you left the vehicle in neutral and someone bumps it, causing it to roll down a hill and splatter a school bus of children the police might want to know what the gently caress you were thinking but if the vehicle was in gear or in park mode no one's going to care.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I always use my parking brake because whenever my neighbor set her brake it sounded like the car was farting to 28 5 year old me and it is was hilarious. That's my parking brake story, thanks for reading.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In Canada, it's an automatic fail on your driver's test if you park without using the parking brake, and we have roughly the same fetish for automatic transmissions as the US. It's just lazy and stupid to not use the parking brake considering it takes less than a single second to accomplish. If your "friends" are so goddamn stupid they can't remember to un-set the parking brake, they shouldn't be driving your car, nor should they be driving any car, because they're clearly not competent to drive an automobile.

It's like the lights question from earlier: it doesn't matter if it seems light enough, or if your dash is lit up; ensuring your lights are turned on is simply one step of starting your car at night, and you should be doing it regardless of any other factors. Why reduce any of this to a judgement call when it's much easier and safer to simply run through a mental checklist?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
When I'm driving an auto around I only use the parking brake on inclines.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The owners manual for my Mazda directed me to NOT use the parking brake in winter, as any liquid water could cause the system to freeze up when it froze. This was a manual transmission car.. I just parked in gear and left it at that unless I was on an incline.

Pretty sure automakers realize no one uses the parking brake and have designed the parking pawl to handle most situations. When is the last time there was a rash of parking pawl failures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jamal posted:

When I'm driving an auto around I only use the parking brake on inclines.

You should probably wait until you're parked for that.