Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Interesting, Glad to hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm playing Fire Emblem on GBA, like 9 chapters in, 3 characters have already died, I guess I won't get them back? Am I supposed to start over? Or can you restart missions where people died? I have no clue how to play this. Is there a right way to do it?

There's no right way to play it. Personally I only reset if a party wipe is imminent or if one of my favorite characters bites it. But al-azad makes a good point: if you never suffer casualties then eventually 80%+ of your roster is going to end up warming benches and end up uselessly underdeveloped, like boxed pokemon or fresh rookies in X-COM.

Also consider resetting your entire save file if you suffer so many deaths that the game starts handing you random no-name soldiers to fill your roster. It takes effort to get to that point but it happens (It might not happen in FE7)

im cute fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 9, 2015

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Something I'm finding out with Payday 2:
  • When you get the saw, TAP the button when cutting stuff open to avoid wasting it. For safe deposit boxes, aim for the lockpick icon rather than the saw icon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's been a lot of good general advice on Way of the Samurai in this thread, but can I get a basic primer on How To Sword Good? Or a link to same?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

duckfarts posted:

Something I'm finding out with Payday 2:
  • When you get the saw, TAP the button when cutting stuff open to avoid wasting it. For safe deposit boxes, aim for the lockpick icon rather than the saw icon.

There's a ton to learn to play Payday 2 well, its a very unique game in some ways. If you're not already you should bookmark the Payday 2 thread. And if you're playing on PC you should absolutely install the goonmod. It'll make your life so much easier.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm playing Fire Emblem on GBA, like 9 chapters in, 3 characters have already died, I guess I won't get them back? Am I supposed to start over? Or can you restart missions where people died? I have no clue how to play this. Is there a right way to do it?

FWIW I actually enjoy replaying the levels after my guys die, and because I like to keep the same group of people going sometimes I gotta figure out how to work around my squad's weaknesses. It's by no means the only way to play the game though.

Also the people who die in Lyn's story don't die permanently, but you can't use them in Lyn's story again.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone refresh me on the important bits of Fallout 3 (goty) (for PS3)? Specifically things like what stuff boosts my special permanently, from what I vaguely remember if done correctly it should be possible to get most if not all of my special to 10 if I time the bobbleheads right.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone refresh me on the important bits of Fallout 3 (goty) (for PS3)? Specifically things like what stuff boosts my special permanently, from what I vaguely remember if done correctly it should be possible to get most if not all of my special to 10 if I time the bobbleheads right.
In general:
-Intelligence is the god-stat, followed by Agility (or Perception if you're going for only energy weapons). Charisma is the dumpstat.
-The basic lever-action rifle (Hunting Rifle, I think?) is a workhorse that will see you through most of the game by itself.
-If you're tired of the Hunting Rifle, or just want to kill dudes with tin cans and teddy bears, the Rock-It Launcher uses Big Guns and you will never, ever run out of ammo. Pretty sure it's a reward from one of Moira's quests.
-The god-skills are one of Science or Lockpicking, Repair, and a weapon skill. Any weapon style except Unarmed is totally viable, so don't feel compelled to pick one.
-A few points in Explosives will delay how long it takes landmines to detonate, which can be the difference between disarming it and having your legs crippled/blown off.

As for maxing things out:
-Don't cap any of your skills (the bobblehead gives 10 points, I think, and even getting to 90 in raw points is usually pointless), and get the perk that gives you extra skill points per level ASAP.
-Save all your skill books until you get the perk that doubles how many skill points you get from them.
-Don't put any stat above 9. The Bobblehead will push it to 10.
-Just look up where the bobbleheads are, some of them are missable.

-The game isn't hard enough to really warrant that kind of perfectionism, but it can be satisfying to have basically-perfect stats across the board.
-If you're really, genuinely set on getting Max Everything, look up a complete list of where all the skill books are, and what skills they increase.
-Getting perfect-max requires, IIRC, all of the DLC and tagging the skills with the fewest skillbooks.
-Please don't actually do this, it's tedious as gently caress.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 11, 2015

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Unarmed is pretty much as viable as melee, and in either case you need a back up ranged skill of some type to deal with some stuff which you cant reach. I wouldnt recommend unarmed, its pretty dull and if I remember right the perks which make unarmed actually good have a requirement of a high unarmed skill AND a high melee skill. Melee at least has some weapon variety.

If you are really wanting to max out your SPECIAL there is a perk which gives +1 to a SPECIAL stat. Never use a perk which just gives skill points to specific skills, there is always a better use.

I really really wouldnt bother trying to get 10 in all special stats, let alone 100 in all skills. Like poison mushroom says, its completely unnecessary and would be a hell of a slog.

If you want all the bobbleheads, look up a list. I can tell you offhand that there is one in the vault which is missable, you need to either pick it up at the very start or if you forget there is one mission that returns you to the vault briefly.

Edit to add; here is the bit about missable bobbleheads;

SiKboy posted:

4) On your way out of the vault, you may want to grab the medicine bobblehead from your dads desk. If you dont, you only get one other chance to get it in the game. If you are wanting to get all the bobbleheads, you NEED to get that one either during the initial escape or the trouble on the home front quest. The only other permanently missable one is in raven rock. You only get one chance to get that one.

There is another one which you can lock yourself out of you blow up megaton without looting it first.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 12, 2015

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

juliuspringle posted:

If you're the casual, roleplaying sort, leave the difficulty at default, then build whatever character tickles your fancy. Want to be a two-fisted, smooth-talking bounty hunter who befriends children and animals? Go for it.

However, if you're the serious gamer, crank the difficulty up to the max, then build a character with INT 9, LCK 9, STR 7, CHA 1. Take Educated at lvl 2 and Comprehension at 3. Go in Small Guns the first half of the game, Energy Weapons the last. Also max out Repair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When you get to Washington, go get Lincoln's Rifle from the memorial. It's obscenely good and the best Hunting Rifle in the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

juliuspringle posted:

Save often. Around the time you have fully explored everything and fully leveled up, your game is going to start freezing quite a bit.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Gynovore posted:

However, if you're the serious gamer, crank the difficulty up to the max, then build a character with INT 9, LCK 9, STR 7, CHA 1. Take Educated at lvl 2 and Comprehension at 3. Go in Small Guns the first half of the game, Energy Weapons the last. Also max out Repair.

What does this do?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

hadji murad posted:

What does this do?

INT: Determines how many skill points you get per level. This is uber-important.

LCK: Determines critical hits, and gives the greatest overall boost to your skills.

STR: Vital for melee, and also governs how much you can carry. STR 4 is OK for non-melee.

CHA: worthless.

Also, I should mention, END is a good idea, since it determines your hitpoints.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Building for crits and using energy weapons makes a volley of VATS fire convert basically anything into a tidy pile of glowing green residue, with extremely high odds.

Shots fired in VATS get +15% to their crit rate, so if you grab the luck bobblehead to max your luck to 10, take the Finesse perk and use, say a plasma rifle (doubles your luck-derived crit chance), you can end up with a 40% chance to crit on each VATS shot, and a crit will kill practically anything.

I used a plasma rifle in the example since plasma rifles are a generic weapon and not uncommon, but there are unique weapons that are even better. Energy weapons are bananas in Fallout 3.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

If you REALLY want to munchkin this game, wait until the very late game perk that sets all your SPECIAL to 9 and then hunt down all 7 of the bobbleheads, but NOT BEFORE THEN. With Comprehension and a little OCD book gathering, getting most if not all your skills to 100 shouldn't be too bad.

Then again, this is very not in the spirit of "what should I know before playing this game for the first time" as playing it like this is a loving Challenge Chore for hxc gamerz only

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Also taking that set-all-your-stats-to-9 perk is only available at level 30, and taking it means you have to not take the one that makes you fart out a nuclear explosion every time you drop below 20 hp.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Yeah, for a first playthrough, being obsessed with min maxing the attributes will ruin the flow of the game. A first playthrough of a Bethesda game is priceless imo because it's when it still holds mystery. The INT thing is good advice, and it helps to know the missable bobble heads but other than that, just roll with the game and bump down difficulty if you need it, though a good hunting rifle will carry you a long way.

Also when you've had your fill of Fallout 3, try New Vegas.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Lone Badger posted:

There's been a lot of good general advice on Way of the Samurai in this thread, but can I get a basic primer on How To Sword Good? Or a link to same?

The most important thing is to have a sword with Life & Death on it, which recharges your Stamina when you're standing still and have your weapon sheathed. This will save you thousands and thousands of dollars on food. To do this, you have to line up three Life & Deaths either vertically or diagonally, so that means at least one on the blade, one on the guard, and one on the grip. You can mix and match any blade, guard, and grip you like. I'm not sure if this has a negative effect on your weapon strength, though.

To find components with Life & Death on them, all you have to do is go into the Blacksmith in the Town section of the map with around 2100 gold (do some small requests) so you can afford one of each. Every time you click Buy, it rerolls the charms on all the blades, guards, and grips for sale. You'll probably find all three lined up within like ten minutes, tops. After that, it's just collecting money and reforging your blade at the blacksmith's to have higher attack strength. 75 should be an okay place if you want a strong enough sword to take on named opponents, and way more than enough to cut through plain yakuza and law enforcement.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I'm not sure if this has a negative effect on your weapon strength, though.

It doesn't. Strength is taken entirely from the blade component.

quote:

To find components with Life & Death on them, all you have to do is go into the Blacksmith in the Town section of the map with around 2100 gold (do some small requests) so you can afford one of each.

If you want to do this later on with a blade that is actually good strength (usually one taken from a boss then tempered up) you can assemble it with any parts and then disassemble it over and over. This is inordinately slow, but whatever works.

Also, on your first playthrough, all of the sidequest branches have a point where things become inordinately difficult somewhere along them unless you're on easy. It's just kind of a thing. Going as far as you can into the good sidequests and then leaving is one of the more reliable ways to make money and samurai points for NG+ bonuses.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SiKboy posted:

Never use a perk which just gives skill points to specific skills, there is always a better use.

I really strongly disagree with this in FO3 - a lot of the perks are questionable and some of the skill based ones are like +5 to both Guns and Repair or Science and Energy Weapons, both of which are a solid half-level worth of points for a not-quite-max Int character. They can be a great way to get an edge quickly particularly for knowledge skills like Science or Lockpick that are basically worthless below set thresholds.

Maybe it's not possible to 100 every skill with those perks but I wouldn't know because that seems like the antithesis of fun.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'm playing The Last Story. The tips on the wiki are pretty good, but I'm wondering if the "choices" you make in dialogues have any impact on the story. I just got back from the Gurak base and there is some pretty heavy stuff happening. Will anything I say ultimately change the game or lock me out of chapters or anything like that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Foxhound posted:

I'm playing The Last Story. The tips on the wiki are pretty good, but I'm wondering if the "choices" you make in dialogues have any impact on the story. I just got back from the Gurak base and there is some pretty heavy stuff happening. Will anything I say ultimately change the game or lock me out of chapters or anything like that?

Nope. I hope you at least tried to kiss Calista atop the cliff though. If you see the Chapter count skip by one or two, don't panic; You have to actively go hunting for Side-Chapters around town. The first is around Chapter 10-ish.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope. I hope you at least tried to kiss Calista atop the cliff though. If you see the Chapter count skip by one or two, don't panic; You have to actively go hunting for Side-Chapters around town. The first is around Chapter 10-ish.

No, I didn't... I guess that was the "touch her" option, which just sounded odd. That's not how you treat someone you just met.

Yeah I just got back to freeroam so I'm about to check out the town.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 12, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sorry, I meant "how do I use a sword on dudes in a vaguely competent fashion?"

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Citizens of Earth? Bought it on sale forever ago and finally getting around to playing it. I've heard it's broken in some ways, like you can get to areas before you should be able to reach them, but anything else I need to know? Any missable characters?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Sorry, I meant "how do I use a sword on dudes in a vaguely competent fashion?"

There are a bunch of different sword styles in the game, they drop from enemies as little green books that you can pick up. Viewing your style from the menu shows you what attacks/combos it has, the commands to perform them, and how to unlock the additional abilities for that style (press confirm on the blank spaces). Try out a bunch of different styles as you get them to find one that works well for you. Chu-dan (stance with your sword in front of you at eye level) styles like the one you start with are usually pretty well balanced and easy to use, although your starting stance itself is pretty bad. Iai stances are super powerful. Ge-dan, waki, and shinobi stances are generally harder to use effectively and have a lot of gimmicky moves. In combat, your enemy will be guarding most of the time they aren't attacking, so learn which of your moves can break guards (generally forward+light attack for a quick break and back-forward-heavy attack for your strongest guard break). If you don't attack for a few seconds, your health will quickly regenerate as long as you have some vitality. The quick step you can do (jump plus a direction while guarding) is a lot more useful than it might seem for repositioning and avoiding attacks, just be mindful that it doesn't have i-frames like a dark souls dodge or whatever, you actually need to get out of the way.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ryoshi posted:

I really strongly disagree with this in FO3 - a lot of the perks are questionable and some of the skill based ones are like +5 to both Guns and Repair or Science and Energy Weapons, both of which are a solid half-level worth of points for a not-quite-max Int character. They can be a great way to get an edge quickly particularly for knowledge skills like Science or Lockpick that are basically worthless below set thresholds.

Maybe it's not possible to 100 every skill with those perks but I wouldn't know because that seems like the antithesis of fun.

A lot of the perks are questionable, but IIRC you can take the one which gives +1 to a SPECIAL stat multiple times, and that is literally always going to be better than +5 to 2 skills once, so if you dont see anything else that grabs you, do that. +5 just isnt that much of a boost. I mean, its not a huge deal because you can take a new perk every single time you level up in FO3 (which is not a particularly hard game) so a few less than ideal perk choices wont sink you, but I'd still generally advise not taking the +5 to 2 skills. They arent the worst things you can take (I'd argue the +10% experience perk is a bigger waste because there is more than enough content in the game to hit the level cap long before seeing it all) but they arent that useful compared to double skills from books, extra skill points every level, +5% damage, increased chances to crit heads, being able to packrat more loot and so on and so forth.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Just to clarify I aleady owned Fallout 3 goty (and new vegas ultimate edition) on 360 and have beaten it a few times It's just been years since I played (and got it on ps3 because reasons)

Are there recommended levels for doing the dlc? I want to do The Pitt so I can pick up the perforater (or whatever that rifle is called) but I'm trying to not change the difficulty from normal.

And is the operation anchorage reward power armor still bugged in the ps3 goty greatest hits version? I remember on 360 it seemingly never degraded which was nice.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

And is the operation anchorage reward power armor still bugged in the ps3 goty greatest hits version? I remember on 360 it seemingly never degraded which was nice.
Pretty sure it's still bugged to degrade at an extremely slow rate. You have the Mothership Zeta repair nanopaste or whatever to make up the difference anyway.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

juliuspringle posted:

Just to clarify I aleady owned Fallout 3 goty (and new vegas ultimate edition) on 360 and have beaten it a few times It's just been years since I played (and got it on ps3 because reasons)

Are there recommended levels for doing the dlc? I want to do The Pitt so I can pick up the perforater (or whatever that rifle is called) but I'm trying to not change the difficulty from normal.

I'd say, at normal difficulty, you could do Operation Anchorage and The Pitt at 10 or so. Point Lookout has annoying bullet-sponge hillbillies, wait until you are at least 20 and have a Gatling Laser or similar and a fuckton of ammo. Mothership Zeta is terrible, don't do it.

The armor degrades, but it does so insanely slowly, probably a bug.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The armor degrades normally, it just has an absolutely massive amount of durability compared to other armors, like a million times more or something crazy like that.

The bug is that it's the sim version of the armor, not the normal version which isn't in the game I think.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gynovore posted:

I'd say, at normal difficulty, you could do Operation Anchorage and The Pitt at 10 or so. Point Lookout has annoying bullet-sponge hillbillies, wait until you are at least 20 and have a Gatling Laser or similar and a fuckton of ammo. Mothership Zeta is terrible, don't do it.

The armor degrades, but it does so insanely slowly, probably a bug.

Anchorage scales to your level. I took a character through it at level 5 because I wanted some of the loot for a gimmick build. I wouldnt necessarily recommend doing that, but you absolutely can. I doubt you can do it much lower than that simply because of all the poo poo you have to get past to get to the start point will level you.

Most of them you can do when you like, I'd say 10-ish would be fine for anchorage, maybe 10-15 for the pitt, and he is completely right about Mothership Zeta being loving awful and totally skippable (unless you really want some strong energy weapons, but its a slog to get through). If you are going to do it anyway, probably about level 15 would be right.

Point Lookout is designed as post level 20 content, and Broken Steel will start automatically when you reach the original end of the game, and so is similarly designed to be played at level 20+.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Everything in Fallout 3 scales to level though due to the bullshit special effect of the guns in POint Lookout you should put that DLC off for as long as possible.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Everything in Fallout 3 scales to level though due to the bullshit special effect of the guns in POint Lookout you should put that DLC off for as long as possible.

I remember Point Lookout being fun except for anytime you fought one of the hillfolk. Makes me wish 3 had an antimaterial rifle like New Vegas.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

juliuspringle posted:

I remember Point Lookout being fun except for anytime you fought one of the hillfolk. Makes me wish 3 had an antimaterial rifle like New Vegas.

It didn't, that was an anti-materiel rifle. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Any strategies for Kid Icarus Uprising? I've only gone through the first three chapters so far, mostly just getting used to the controls. Would it generally be a good idea to go through each stage at maybe intensities of 3 first, then gradually add it up to unlock more content? Maybe one more run at 4 or 5? Or will I have to wait until the endgame where I have better weapons to try that. Should I be fusing constantly? Range or melee? Etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Any strategies for Kid Icarus Uprising? I've only gone through the first three chapters so far, mostly just getting used to the controls. Would it generally be a good idea to go through each stage at maybe intensities of 3 first, then gradually add it up to unlock more content? Maybe one more run at 4 or 5? Or will I have to wait until the endgame where I have better weapons to try that. Should I be fusing constantly? Range or melee? Etc.

I'd stick with the default the game gives you each level, I feel that's about the normal. It'll lower itself if you die. From there you can find a happy middle. You definitely don't need to wait until later to come back to a stage at a higher difficulty. Equipment helps but this is largely a skill based game.

My casual fusing schedule was to wait until my inventory got a little unmanageable then fuse/sell down to a handful. All the weapons are pretty well balanced but clubs are particularly difficult to master as they have zero range but deflect shots. I wouldn't main clubs until you master the flying levels.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Any other tips for Europa 1400: The Guild besides what's already on the wiki? This game is really complex and over my head and the game documentation is kind of lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

moot the hopple posted:

Any other tips for Europa 1400: The Guild besides what's already on the wiki? This game is really complex and over my head and the game documentation is kind of lacking.

Start on Very Easy until you can get your legs. It is very complicated but the game will "click". I know this was covered in the rules, but SERIOUSLY. Also the alchemist thing. SERIOUSLY.

Don't even worry about government positions until you are more established. Your wealth determines your title, higher titles make everything a little easier. Focus on running your business. If you start as an alchemist, have one worker constantly gathering materials, one worker making stamina potions, and one worker switching between the two tasks as needed.

Anticipate when you will level up your job class. Stay in your job until it is maxed, a maxed job gives you +1 AP PER MAXED JOB and these are all inherited. As your descendants take over they will have more and more AP to spend. This greatly expands the actions they can take.

It is good to upgrade attributes first. Negotiation and Handicraft are the best the upgrade in the early game, and they come default with the townhouse. Stealth, Combat, and Rhetoric are all upgraded in purchased rooms, Backroom, dining room and library respectively.

When you are starting out, just focus on your own business and the success of your dynasty. Don't worry about the other scrubs, you're on very easy mode, right?

You can get away without guarding your wagon for a few years, but once you start having some serious goods in each sale, just spend the money on them. You will want to start training combat at this time as well.

When you are settled into a groove and making decent profit on your business sales, you may want to start pursuing government appointments. Your reputation is governed globally, by group, and individually. It is generally a good idea to boost your global reputation as much as you can when you are ready. You can do this by upgrading your house, mostly. You can improve your reputation with specific groups via items just as the silver ring (IIRC it boosts your standing with lower level government employees), and you can improve your individual standing by inviting people to banging parties, giving them certain items, and other actions.

Improve your business asap, some of the improvements greatly boost productivity. Upgrade your business as soon as you can as well. Usually the new items you can make are helpful, but you can get more employees which is GREAT. Make sure you click on the "turn page" button to make sure you always have the max number of employees and aren't just starting at one page for centuries, like I hear some people may have done for far longer than they should have (:()

A good second business to pick up is either the tavern or the church. Both have options for steadier income sources through entertaining/preaching.

Is there anything specific you are looking for?