Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Accordion Man posted:

Will I be able to just load up my save from before going into the last dungeon and just play the expansion from there?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Cool, thanks. I was hoping that was the case because I don't feel like going through the game again, mainly because I'll have other games like Shadowrun HK to play.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Accordion Man posted:

Cool, thanks. I was hoping that was the case because I don't feel like going through the game again, mainly because I'll have other games like Shadowrun HK to play.

I'm with you there, I wish Obsidian and Harebrained Schemes wouldn't release their stuff five frigging days apart.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Furism posted:

I'm at the end of my first run after the XP re-tuning and I could realy tell the difference from before. I've just finished the god favor quests, halfway through the bounties, just after that Vithrak level in Caed Nua, killed Raedric 2.0 and did pretty much all of the side content except a few of the companion quests - and I just reached level 12 on most of my party. I've never felt frustrated by the leveling pace and it definitively feels more reasonable than before. Obsidian really did a good job.
I think on my last play through I hit level 12 before the god favor quests but clearing more of Caed Nua. I know the second Raedric quest was pretty much an entire level, the XP reward on that fight is absolutely nuts.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am not sure that the end fight needed to be more challenging, if you don't count the Adra dragon, then the end fight is easily the hardest fight in the game, even on normal. On the other hand the Sky dragon has always seemed super easy to me.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 11, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Oasx posted:

I am not sure that the end fight needed to be more challenging, if you don't count the Adra dragon, then the end fight is easily the hardest fight in the game, even on normal. On the other hand the Sky dragon has always seemed super easy to me.

Agreed. You can cheese the fight by exploiting line of sight and such but I'm fairly sure most people don't even try to exploit it. I know it took me a good 6 or 8 tries on my first run, and I was not even on PotD. I can see how being level 14 can change the scales though.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

quote:

For Sawyer, one of the crucial things about The White March, Part I's story is that it won't end in a cliffhanger. "It's like, 'okay, this is now done,'" he says. "Shortly after that, something else happens that's a consequence of [Part I]. That's Part II. It still takes place in The White March, and it's a continuation of that storyline, but we don't have quests that start in the first one that end in the second.
"Let's say someone just wants to buy part one. That's fine. You can play all the quests and there are not going to be any cliffhangers, or poo poo where you get half of what you expect and have to get the second part if you want to finish it. Of course, you will finish the overall storyline if you get Part II, but it's not necessarily. It stands alone as a single expansion."

I wonder what happens if you only buy Part II.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I wish they called the expansions two different things instead of Part I and Part II.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Scorchy posted:

I wish they called the expansions two different things instead of Part I and Part II.

Same. The Part 1 & 2 thing just makes it sound like they're trying to nickle and dime people, even though that's not the case.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Scorchy posted:

gently caress You, Suck My Dick, Part 3 of the Josh Sawyer Magical Christmas RPG Experience: Chapter 2 Book 5

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nycticeius posted:

I wonder what happens if you only buy Part II.

Part II requires Part I.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

I have a terminology question. According to my Kindle's dictionary, "Leaden" means either "very heavy" or "made of lead." Which definition is correct for the "Leaden Key" ? I'm not a native english speaker so I might have missed the proper sense.
A key made of lead.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so a key that slowly poisons you every time you use it? I can dig that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sorry if this was mentioned already, but do backers that preordered the expansion get both parts?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Excelzior posted:

A key that breaks off in the lock so you can't open it again.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Accordion Man posted:

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but do backers that preordered the expansion get both parts?
Yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Some of the new areas in the expansion look amazing, especially after Kaz does a touchup pass.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thanks, I would have been cool with it if it wasn't, but that's good to hear.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 11, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Excelzior posted:

You're not going to get lead poisoning from limited handling of an item made out of lead. Lead poisoning is more from inhalation/ingestion/etc, not just from casual contact. It's why they can make fishing weights and bullets out of lead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Khizan posted:

You're not going to get lead poisoning from limited handling of an item made out of lead. Lead poisoning is more from inhalation/ingestion/etc, not just from casual contact. It's why they can make fishing weights and bullets out of lead.

Wait'll you poor fools get a taste of my MERCURY key! Hahaha!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Khizan posted:

I thought lead bullets were being phased out due to regulatory pressure, at least in the US.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Oasx posted:

I found the final fight to be very very easy. I imagine party composition matters a lot. It feels like most of the difficulty people had with it last time we had this conversation was that the incredible easiness of everything previously hadn't left them particularly prepared from a player skill perspective.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 12, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I wiped a couple of times to the final boss when I went up against him on PotD and yeah, that was mostly because I was playing badly after curbstomping everything else for a while with the exception of some fights against multiple Cean Gwlas. But there are some things that make it hard and could possibly make it frustrating with the improved AI.

Basically two things in combination, really. Thaos is very hard to hit with anything, especially early in the fight. Even with an accuracy buff, I remember my Wizard having something like a 5% chance to land a graze, which kind of sucked because I really wanted to land that spell that suppresses Thaos' self buffs. So, unless you luck out, it's going to take some patience to get Thaos down.
The second problem is Cleansing Flame, which absolutely needs to get a Suppress Affliction when it hits a party member or that party member is gone. I had my Rogue outright die to it when I tried to have her heal through it with potions because the spell did more damage over time than she had health. Summons obviously help here, and I think a big part of the difficulty for me was that I played without summoning items so I had to rely on my Wizard and Druid to summon cannon fodder.
But if the AI improvements mean that Thaos is smarter about using the spell on actual party members instead of the beetles you summoned I can see the final fight to be really frustrating without a Priest.

Rascyc posted:

I think on my last play through I hit level 12 before the god favor quests but clearing more of Caed Nua. I know the second Raedric quest was pretty much an entire level, the XP reward on that fight is absolutely nuts.
The overall amount of XP you can get feels right to me now, but Raedric and the bounties still seem to give out disproportionate amounts of XP.

Oasx posted:

Yeah, the Sky Dragon is a cool fight but very easy. I did it on level 10 after going through the entire Northweald area without resting, my Rogue even had some kind of injury from getting hit by rocks on the way up. I did that just to see if it was possible, expected a party wipe, and got through it without any KOs.

rope kid posted:

A key that breaks off in the lock so you can't open it again.
:monocle:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

GlyphGryph posted:

I found the final fight to be very very easy. I imagine party composition matters a lot. It feels like most of the difficulty people had with it last time we had this conversation was that the incredibly easiness of everything previously hadn't left them particularly prepared from a player skill perspective.

I completely messed up my positioning and had my wizard and cipher knocked out at the start of the fight and still beat it first time.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I completely messed up my positioning and had my wizard and cipher knocked out at the start of the fight and still beat it first time.

I just completed my Pacifist run and had to tackle this fight with my weakest party yet. It was touch and go for most of the battle, but at some point, the boss became fixated on my Chanter, so Aloth just kept juggling the adds with Confusion while Durance kept Kana alive. I didn't even bother to pick up Hiravias, Grieving Mother or Pallegina since I didn't have enough gear to kit them out for a serious brawl. I think the one thing that secured me the final victory (aside from Eder burning through five bottles of War Paint), was the ability where Sagani can call her wolf back, causing every enemy he runs through to get dumped on their rear end. Made for a nice interrupt whenever it looked like a particularly nasty AoE spell was being prepared.

Going to start fresh once the DLC gets an official release. Been doing achievement based gimmick runs for so long, I've forgotten what a normal playthrough actually looks like.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm not sure how healthy that is, but I dreamed for PoE last night. Obsidian was announcing the second extension (ie: not The White March Pt. 2) with proceduraly generated dungeons. I realize that PoE maps are 3D models that are then hand-drawnd and all that, but when you randomly generate dungeons you actually do it room by room and hallway by hallway (that is, not tile by tile), I wonder if Obsidian could do it with their tech. Like, they could render/compute shaders/draw a bunch of pieces, which they could then put together.

rope kid posted:

A key made of lead.

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

drgnvale posted:

I thought lead bullets were being phased out due to regulatory pressure, at least in the US.

Informative video about lead, it's quite interesting and lasts about 5 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM1u29BeqC0

Ancient Rome used it as a wine sweetener among other things. :psyduck:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Furism posted:

Ancient Rome used it as a wine sweetener among other things. :psyduck:
Far from the worst culinary sin Romans committed as far as I'm aware.
And, poo poo, they made their water pipes out of it, at that point you might as well go all the way.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's why we call it plumbing (Pb). ~*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Will we also get more levels to the endless paths or something like it? I really enjoyed that and was sad when I had finally killed the dragon, got that sweet geae, and nothing to kill with it.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Scorchy posted:

- More bounties and a new dragon that's tougher than the Adra Dragon

Can't say I'm looking forward to this part - Adra Dragon was pretty bullshit. And there are immunities now? I get this nasty feeling this new dragon might end up being immune to paralysis.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

Scorchy posted:

- Part I of the expansion won't end on a cliffhanger
I was going to pass on the first part till I spotted this. Now the smaller problem to me is that I've gotten an impression that they might be adding (a) new companion(s) in the second part (a barbarian?), who may become accessible even from the start of the first part later.

Malek Deneith posted:

Can't say I'm looking forward to this part - Adra Dragon was pretty bullshit. And there are immunities now? I get this nasty feeling this new dragon might end up being immune to paralysis.
From the look of it, the fights appear to be polished into fair ones through the improved AI rather than...well... If I'm going to be beaten fair and square, I'd simply ignore it since I'm unlikely to touch the difficulty slider just for an optional fight.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jastiger posted:

Will we also get more levels to the endless paths or something like it?
No more levels for Od Nua.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Are loading times going to be optimized?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ok cool they announced the release date, but what about :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

$14.95 for Part I, $24.95 for both together (USD).

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Can you do 24.95 for both now, as a pre-order for part 2?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rope kid posted:

No more levels for Od Nua.

Will the additional bounties provide additional hard content as a stand in?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Periodiko posted:

Can you do 24.95 for both now, as a pre-order for part 2?
I don't know when that goes live (I don't think we're doing pre-orders for anything), but yes that's the intention.

Jastiger posted:

Will the additional bounties provide additional hard content as a stand in?

Crägholt Bluff is an entire area for high level characters. Some of the bounties and the dragon are also quite hard.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rope kid posted:

I don't know when that goes live (I don't think we're doing pre-orders for anything), but yes that's the intention.

Crägholt Bluff is an entire area for high level characters. Some of the bounties and the dragon are also quite hard.

Ah alright, thats good. I really enjoyed the story, but also enjoyed testing my tactical ability with some really tough fights. You guys have a knack for making fights hard, but not bullshit hard.

Maybe the one exception is the Adra Dragon. As soon as you agro him you die lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
So, monk players. Do you guys run your monks with or without armor? If you do use armor, what type would you recommend?

• Locked thread