Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
with all the time you save from not having to move windows around with the mouse, the time investment in getting a tiling window manager to work pays for itself within mere decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
The Good At Computers Certification Test:

1) Do you use a tiling window manager? Y/N

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pram posted:

The Good At Computers Certification Test:

1) Do you use a tiling window manager? Y/N

N

pram
Jun 10, 2001
*solemnly hands you a mcdonalds uniform*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
it's ok, i'm a developer not a cj, i dont need to be good at computer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

i just assume tiling window manager users are coming from the same place as vinyl record listeners

and vi users

let me just use use this extremely modal editor hacked together on top of ed in the days before terminals even had loving arrow keys

of course it lets me edit code fast, it can't possibly be an illusion caused by the extremely high cognitive load presented by trying to use a grad student's weekend hack 35 years later to do real work

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
idk how to program but in college & hike school we always used a ide

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my pal from ultima online called it hike school kuz u had to hike to school. hehe

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

and vi users

let me just use use this extremely modal editor hacked together on top of ed in the days before terminals even had loving arrow keys

of course it lets me edit code fast, it can't possibly be an illusion caused by the extremely high cognitive load presented by trying to use a grad student's weekend hack 35 years later to do real work

to be fair, vim is incredibly fast at hammering out and editing text.

but that's not the hard part of programming, so uh.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Does slackware have any redeeming qualities? Because it seems really bad.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Does it still fit on a ZIP disk?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jony neuemonic posted:

to be fair, vim is incredibly fast at hammering out and editing text.

but that's not the hard part of programming, so uh.

Oh, but that's where you're wrong. Modeless editing and remembering A-< C- A-> C-w c-x o a-x goto-line c-y to copy the contents of one file into another at a specified line is superior.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 12, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the best editor is sublime text

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
But I prefer using an IDE because that's the sane way to write software on something newer than aix 4.3.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

“After two-and-a-half years of Linux, I’ve finally found
joy in a UNIX operating system. And I found it when I
purchased a Macintosh–the first one I’ve ever owned.”
–John Hummel Jr.,The Gamers’ Press

lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

Sublime is good. I wish someone would write a foss clone and destroy Jon Skinners income, life, and happiness.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Aynn Rand may be right. The collective may never be as good at developing new ideas, but it can certainly ape the poo poo out of existing ones.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
vim is good, for editing config files and lovely scripts

for code use an ide

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Sublime is good. I wish someone would write a foss clone and destroy Jon Skinners income, life, and happiness.

those who do not learn from history are damned to repeat it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
emacs is actually really good and works fine as an ide for most languages*. (the secret is that people write all the code refactoring poo poo using the languge's native reflection, and just talk down a pipe to emacs)

*but not C#. holy gently caress do not use emacs for C#, it is real bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I wish someone would write a foss clone and destroy Jon Skinners income, life, and happiness.

-richard stallman

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

*but not C#. holy gently caress do not use emacs for C#, it is real bad

Like anyone with grooming poor enough to author emacs modes is going to be employed writing c#.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I recently learned that an older friend of mine has KEDIT set to launch at login on Windows and uses it for everything

he's probably switching to THE soon since it's maintained and available in a "modern" version on more platforms like Linux and OS X

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I looked at installing KATE on windows, but the kde4windows installer made me lose interes pretty quick.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol is he a mainframe guy

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

he's probably switching to THE soon since it's maintained and available in a "modern" version on more platforms like Linux and OS X

I'm having trouble finding a screen shot on that website.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I looked at installing KATE on windows, but the kde4windows installer made me lose interes pretty quick.

KEDIT is not KDE…

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

lol is he a mainframe guy

if your high water mark for software usability had previously been loving cms, it's no wonder windows seems like a totally adequate development platform

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shabbat goy posted:

Does slackware have any redeeming qualities? Because it seems really bad.

slackware is still pretty impressive for a one-man project

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

KEDIT is not KDE…

poo poo, Kbusted.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

macbooks are almost* the perfect linux laptop

*the exception is the lovely broadcom wireless. but that sucks equally bad under osx. it's more of a general lol apple problem than a linux problem

and a touchpad that only works for tracking finger and left click currently. I cant even set it up the way I want in OS X itself.

also they commit the cardinal laptop sin of putting the fn button at the corner instead of ctrl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the macbook touchpad works just fine with the normal synaptics driver under linux

if you left osx installed on your macbook that's your own drat fault. you should expect dumb mouse behavior

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

serious question does linux have intertia scrolling too lazy to google

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the macbook touchpad works just fine with the normal synaptics driver under linux

if you left osx installed on your macbook that's your own drat fault. you should expect dumb mouse behavior

force touch pads dont lol

supposedly this will work in 4.2, but the broadcom driver being unable to see 5GHz networks will probably be unchanged

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

annapacketstormaya posted:

and a touchpad that only works for tracking finger and left click currently. I cant even set it up the way I want in OS X itself.

also they commit the cardinal laptop sin of putting the fn button at the corner instead of ctrl

if you run the correct operating system (mac os ten) you can reconfigure the caps lock key as control, as god intended

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
even in 2015 emacs is still kinda slow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Last Chance posted:

serious question does linux have intertia scrolling too lazy to google

you mean if you two a two-finger touchpad slide does the window you're scrolling slow gradually to a halt? yes

at least in gnome apps anyway.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

annapacketstormaya posted:

You are of course remapping caps lock to control so this doesn't affect you.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

BobHoward posted:

if you run any remotely recent operating system you can reconfigure the caps lock key as control, as god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

even in 2015 emacs is still kinda slow

runs fine for me, maybe you need to defrag your disk or reinstall the os?