Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So a server I'm on is having a strange problem and google isn't helping any.

There are so many Hobgoblins spawning that the game is lagging for some people to the point where playing is flat out impossible. Is there anything we can do to make them go away?

There should be some kind of setting in the ini files to change/disable their spawn, there is with most mods. Alternately if you've got Tinker's Construct and Iguana Tweaks, it's free sword XP :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nuebot posted:

So a server I'm on is having a strange problem and google isn't helping any.

There are so many Hobgoblins spawning that the game is lagging for some people to the point where playing is flat out impossible. Is there anything we can do to make them go away?

http://teamcofh.com/docs/cofh-core/features/commands/#killall

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Thank you both, the goblins should be under control now. You might have saved the server from exploding.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

Something for Blightfall 3.0 ;)

Tearing Blightfall free of the constraints of Minecraft's engine and building an entire game around it (Kind of Skyrim like) would be a game I'd gleefully throw money at. :homebrew:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Tearing Blightfall free of the constraints of Minecraft's engine and building an entire game around it (Kind of Skyrim like) would be a game I'd gleefully throw money at. :homebrew:

You might like Infested Planet. The gameplay is a lot different, but I would say they are spiritual kin. They feel like it to me, at least. Also Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal. They're both kind of "strategist dropped into a horribly hostile environment" kind of deals. Creeper World leans a tad tower defense-y, Infested Planet is more squad-level RTS, and picking between them I'd probably recommend Infested Planet over Creeper World 3, it's just a lot more polished and is really fun. Only thing I didn't like was that it was too dang short!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So after messing around with a bunch of new mods in FTB I have to conclude that minecraft modders are kind of insane. Every good idea seems to be hopelessly bogged down by a million tedious or mind bogglingly bad ones. Like this Decocraft mod. It has some genuinely cool looking blocks. Except we can't use any of them because if you try to place any of them in all but one specific way it doesn't work and you get an error saying something is in the way.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Day 5 of the Blightfall promo splash page is up, less than 24 hours to go until it launches hopefully.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
Is there a way to complete a quest in Material Energy^4 if you're missing the requirements, or failing that, get another copy of a spatial map? I inadvertently blew up the skystone chest that was buried in the Reds map. I couldn't find it at first, only finding a massive pile of silverfish stone. I thought the solution was make some explosives to dig through the stone, but I used too much and blew up the skystone chest with the wool in it. Without the wool that was in the chest, I can't progress any farther.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Do /hqm edit and edit the quest to complete it.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
Oh, that worked perfectly. Thank you!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Krakatoah posted:

Day 5 of the Blightfall promo splash page is up, less than 24 hours to go until it launches hopefully.

No further exploration needed, so I guess the pack is cancelled then. Oh well.

This is very well written guys!

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Agreed. I didn't even like Blightfall and I'm still excited to play it tomorrow.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I wonder if you can go down to the surface and find evidence of these events...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The current version has tons of hidden stuff you can find if you're clever and creative enough. Personally I'm hoping for a new map to go with everything and ill be checking the he'll out of that cave.

I'll probably also beeline for the silvered Grove and set up my home there though.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

The current version has tons of hidden stuff you can find if you're clever and creative enough. Personally I'm hoping for a new map to go with everything and ill be checking the he'll out of that cave.

I'll probably also beeline for the silvered Grove and set up my home there though.

Last time I played, I've seen pure nodes get corrupted a minute after I find them, and the silverwood grove is no exception. I would probably go on to say that the silverwood grove is a risky place to go because you are in a forest, and you have to clear out all the trees because the taint turns alot of it into swarm spawners, and those keep coming back until you can clear out all the tainted wood they're spawning from.

Everywhere starts off as tainted, and in some cases including inside the biodomes. I've died from going afk, and taint spreading into the biodome, then getting killed by a tainted chicken or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Safest place is probably biodome omega because it's underwater. As long as you don't breach the entrance to the mineshaft underneath it like an idiot it's nearly impossible for it to get tainted.

Of course, then you have to deal with your base being underwater. :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Last time I played, I've seen pure nodes get corrupted a minute after I find them, and the silverwood grove is no exception. I would probably go on to say that the silverwood grove is a risky place to go because you are in a forest, and you have to clear out all the trees because the taint turns alot of it into swarm spawners, and those keep coming back until you can clear out all the tainted wood they're spawning from.

Everywhere starts off as tainted, and in some cases including inside the biodomes. I've died from going afk, and taint spreading into the biodome, then getting killed by a tainted chicken or something.

That could be fixed with a little editing in creative mode, though, and potentially something fixed in Blightfall 2. Cause :agreed: that Silverwood land is horrifyingly dangerous. Really, any forest is super dangerous in Blightfall

President Ark posted:

Safest place is probably biodome omega because it's underwater. As long as you don't breach the entrance to the mineshaft underneath it like an idiot it's nearly impossible for it to get tainted.

Of course, then you have to deal with your base being underwater. :v:

How do you deal with that? No soil, no crops :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Magres posted:

That could be fixed with a little editing in creative mode, though, and potentially something fixed in Blightfall 2. Cause :agreed: that Silverwood land is horrifyingly dangerous. Really, any forest is super dangerous in Blightfall

How do you deal with that? No soil, no crops :(

Swim to shore and grab some dirt. The bigger problem is wood in general, since the space is too small to really grow trees in.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I never had issues growing oak trees inside the biodomes. Also I thought there were a few dirt blocks in Omega? If there aren't any then yeah it's probably the most difficult dome to get started in, as it should be. You'll also have trouble getting animals to spawn there since they don't spawn on grass in ocean biomes.

Also if taint grows into your biodome you hosed it up somehow, probably by destroying your silverwood tree.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I never had issues growing oak trees inside the biodomes.

I'm pretty sure omega has a lower ceiling than the others.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SugarAddict posted:

Iron chests or some other big chests mod.
inv tweaks (sort chests button)
Minimap of some kind
NEI (how to make stuff)
Extra-utilities
Gravestone
Nether ores
Enchanting Plus

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Those sound very good for sure, but I was honestly looking more for lightweight, fun things that a 9-year-old (I don't know why I thought he was 12) would enjoy.

Or, I guess, a lightweight adventure-y modpack with magic stuff.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 12, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've heard good things about VanillaQuest if he hasn't played Vanilla into the ground. HQM that runs you through vanilla start to finish

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Magres posted:

I've heard good things about VanillaQuest if he hasn't played Vanilla into the ground. HQM that runs you through vanilla start to finish

Not really the sort of experience I'm looking for.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Fission Mailed, huh? I can't believe they've built up all this hype just to say that they couldn't finish the pack and have abandoned the project. Kakermix you are a jerk.

This is gonna be goooooooooood.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How the heck do you get started in Blastoff? I have this sapling storage and have no idea how to get trees out of it. I put it in the thing in the wall and hit the button and it just moves from the left side of the thing to the right side and nothing else :(

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 12, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dunno-Lars posted:

No further exploration needed, so I guess the pack is cancelled then. Oh well.

This is very well written guys!

Talonos, the guy who built Blightfall, wrote everything and is responsible for the design and style of the whole pack.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

So after messing around with a bunch of new mods in FTB I have to conclude that minecraft modders are kind of insane. Every good idea seems to be hopelessly bogged down by a million tedious or mind bogglingly bad ones. Like this Decocraft mod. It has some genuinely cool looking blocks. Except we can't use any of them because if you try to place any of them in all but one specific way it doesn't work and you get an error saying something is in the way.

Minecraft mods become degenerate the longer they are in development. I suggest you go back to version 1.2.5, you will find most of the mods to be more straight forward and stable.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm really glad things are going so well because I also suggested hiring iskandar and this has barely cancelled that out!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rutibex, noted Minecraft Historian.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

Rutibex, noted Minecraft Historian.

I only have a minor in Minecraft History, my specialty is in Boardgame History.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Board games have really gone downhill since monopoly and risk came out

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

My research has shown that Stratego is the peak.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

30.5 Days posted:

Peasant, backgammon was the epitome of board games.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

wylker posted:

Peasant, backgammon checkers was the epitome of board games.

:agreed:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I never had issues growing oak trees inside the biodomes. Also I thought there were a few dirt blocks in Omega? If there aren't any then yeah it's probably the most difficult dome to get started in, as it should be. You'll also have trouble getting animals to spawn there since they don't spawn on grass in ocean biomes.

Also if taint grows into your biodome you hosed it up somehow, probably by destroying your silverwood tree.

The pure nodes actually covers a smaller area than the biodome covers. The taint can grow diagonally into the biodome.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

The pure nodes actually covers a smaller area than the biodome covers. The taint can grow diagonally into the biodome.

So... you sat in one of the corners of the biodome? I tested the coverage once and the taint can at most creep one block in at some of the corners.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've had taint creep in, kill a chicken, then had a tainted chicken attack me.

After that I started keeping my critters underground in a smaller room centered under the silverwood, just to be safe

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

wylker posted:

Peasant, backgammon was the epitome of board games.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

30.5 Days posted:

Monopoly? Ewwww.

Seirously, go play some real (and actually fun) boardgames like Ticket to Ride or Catan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alkydere posted:

Monopoly? Ewwww.

Seirously, go play some real (and actually fun) boardgames like Ticket to Ride or Catan.

:rolleyes:
Ok Grandpa play some Catan.

I'll just play some Arkham Horror over here in the 21st century