Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Jiang Hu (江湖), literally meaning Rivers and Lakes. It was originally used to denote the great wilderness, the vast, untamed space between cities, the lawless lands outside civilization ripe with the possibility of danger and adventure.

Now, it’s a society outside society, a world of outcasts and outsiders, those existing outside the limits of proper and orderly Chinese society. It is a world of criminals and constables, saints and sinners, heroes and villains, a world ruled by its own laws and traditions where achievements and deeds do not go unsung and bring with them power and status.

Wulin (武 林), literally meaning Martial Forest but translated as The Fighting Community or The Martial Brotherhood. Regardless of what they fight for, what ideals they follow, where they come from or how they behave, all heroes share a bond with each other. The Wulin is the society within the Jiang Hu, following the principles of Wu and Xia.

Heroes and villain rise and fall like the sun and moon. Their legend shall be remembered in history, and their mighty deeds shaped Wulin and even across Jiang Hu. For it is a River, ever-flowing and changing; it is a lake where the smallest stone causing ripples across its surface.

Shall we cast the next stone?

A. We shall cast a medium sized stone. It will cause ripple immediately, affecting throughout the lake, but not likely to make the strongest ripple. Lots of learning is required to throw the stone properly.

Translation: Start as a standard adult hero. Point-buy stat and choose from standard class package according to the rulebook. Lots of game mechanic info-dump.

B. No, we will pick up this baby turtle next to the shore. Slowly, we will raise this turtle into a big turtle, and it will make the biggest splash onto the lake when the time comes. If the heavenly stars align, the turtle might one day turn into the dragon of the lake. We will learn the steps to throw this stone passively as it grows.

Translation: Start as a child. Experience the mundane life of Mythic China intersected with wanderers of Wulin. Gradually learn the game mechanic and build our character via choices we made. Greater potential with lots of bonus points if we survive childhood. A true Zero to legend experience.

Welcome, fellow brothers and sisters interested in the Wuxia genre. This is a Choose Your Own Adventure style game based on the tabletop Wuxia RPG game Legend of Wulin and inspirations from the PC game Legend of Wulin Heroes. Depends on which option you choose, we will either start with a hero or a child that will hopefully become a legend in Mythic China; A land where martial art kung fu heroes roam the land, each with their own way of life, and many who wish to shape Wulin in their own image.

If you want to, feel free to join us on CYOA Discord .There are enough people in there to tell you “I have no idea how Ancient China work!”

Year 1 Summary
Year 1 Stat

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

A.

Lets start as an adult!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B

C'mon, this'll be fun. Let's go the kid>adult route.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
A
I am impatient and want to punch things now.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
B

Mostly I just feel like character creation would be more interesting if we do it gradually while raising a child and not as one giant chunk all at once.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
A.

To hard to punch stuff when you are a baby!

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

B

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

A.

To hard to punch stuff when you are a baby!

We can punch other babies though!

The most important time of development is the youth!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SerSpook posted:

The most important time of development is the youth!

We can be the greatest villain the world has ever seen!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
B

I've been waiting for a CYOA in this setting for a while now! Very excited to see where this goes.

Naturally, we must be a baby.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
B

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

SerSpook posted:

It's not impossible to beat an ordinary adult. Everyone who lacks kung fu are Rank 6 (Unranked), which mean our child can fight equally with the same Lake (dice pool) ! I would rule you suffer heavier injury depends on how seriously mad the adult is though.

But the better way to fight is with ingenuity and wits! :eng101:

Don't fight anyone that know kung fu

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nyaa posted:

It's not impossible to beat an ordinary adult. Everyone who lacks kung fu are Rank 6 (Unranked), which mean our child can fight equally with the same Lake (dice pool) ! I would rule you suffer heavier injury depends on how seriously mad the adult is though.

But the better way to fight is with ingenuity and wits! :eng101:

Don't fight anyone that know kung fu

Obviously we are going to learn kung fu at the age of 5 :colbert:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

B

Let's keep the crunch to a minimum while we're starting out, plus I don't trust goons collectively with anything more dangerous than a toddler.

Edit: a toddler with Kung Fu.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
B

SerSpook posted:

Obviously we are going to learn kung fu at the age of 5 :colbert:
Too slow, old man. :agesilaus: A true Wuxia would learn kung fu before they're even born.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 12, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

:agesilaus: A true Wuxia would learn kung fu before they're even born.

B

This guy gets it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

B

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Ah, torn on this.

I'm gonna go B

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Let's be a kung fu prodigy, B

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

B and let's reenact the first scene of Kung Pow.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This looks cool.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Childhood – Mind
They say heaven have plans for everyone and their destinies are pre-designated. Due to karma of your past life, some may born rich, some may born poor, and some might not even have the opportunity to be born human. However, all soul in the world are allow to make their own choices in life, to pursue and creates their own destiny.

Fortunately, you are born human.

Unfortunately…

“Please spare a silver, good sir!”

You were born a beggar. When the door of your mind opens at the age of 5, you’re told by your father of your family’s current predicament. Your family was once a well-to-do middle class household with a somewhat respectable position in the community. How it falls from grace, however, was denied to you because your father said the matter is too complex for a child to comprehend. Maybe when you are considered an adult around 12 to 14.

Your father thank the random stranger who tossed a silver piece in your family donation bowl, and his gaze returns to the bored, but dignify face that does not befit a beggar. He always stares at the blossom orchard flower that grown up the side of the local tavern. Drunkards always donate more when they lost their senses to their godly ambrosia.

“Your mother always loved those flowers.” He said while reminiscing the past. You once asked about your mother while your father teaches the concept of family to you, and your father only reply after a long pause. “She died from giving birth to you.” Another long pause and he say “Treasure the life that your mother gave you.” You nod.

Ding-ling! Someone donated 5 silvers to the bowl! You and your father give many thanks to the unknown benefactor that considers you two no more than an afterthought.

As the sun reaches the position at the hour of Wèi (1:00pm - 3:00pm), the wave of people lessened as they went back to their job, which is a good time for the beggars to have their turn at lunch. Speaking of job, you asked your father if being a beggar is a job, to which he answers, “no, a beggar does not contribute to the society and they are taking resource from the community without working for it.” You ask your father why we are beggars and he let out a deep sigh as if hindered by complications. Then, he grip on your shoulder with both hands, looks you in the eyes and makes a statement, as if to himself. “We will get out of this. I promise you that we will rise from the ashes and become a productive member of society once more.” He then rises from his mat and gesture you for lunch.

“We have a larger haul today than usual,” your father said with a smile while pocketing the money. “You can eat noodle today.” In which you exclaim in joy. Noodles are a rare and tasty meal for you!

As you two walks to the noodle stand where the shop owner tolerates beggars who can pay, your father would take the opportunity to teach you things of the surrounding. He have been keeping a rigid education regiment of teaching you something whenever you two are not begging or having those quiet moment like looking at the flowers. Thanks to your father dedication, you were able to speak normally, read competently in Chinese, and understood the common etiquette a person should behave, which helped a lot in the begging. You learned that being nice and saying nice things to people will make them donate more. The reverse is also true when you screamed loudly at a wild cat that tried to steal your food once.

A large bowl of Seafood Noodle Soup that worth 5 silver! What a feast! You father tells you to not eat so fast with a bemused expression as you devour this delicious meal that surely none can compare!

Meanwhile, your father took out two veggies buns for himself that worth one silver each. That is the staple food you two consume daily except on very bad day where starving or digging the trash is the only option. Your father always tries to keep you well-fed and grown properly.

Needless to say, your father minimal diet to keep you well-fed has taken a toll to his constitution. Two years passed, your father become bonier as you grown more and require to eat more. Your father has less energy by the day and eventually, he never woke up.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 13, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You shake and scream hard at your father’s body, but get no respond. You don’t understand why your father is not moving or reacts to your call. Worries wells up from within as you screams and shakes harder at your father. What else can you do besides waking up your father? His body is very light and also, very cold.

You keep on at it for a while until a passing by madam saw you and your deceased father. She dolefully told you that your father has passed away. You ask her what is ‘passed away’ and she explains the concept of death to you. For the first time in your life, you experience great sorrow. For the whole day, you cry, and cry, and cry beside your father’s body. People that passed by gives you their condolences and leave you some silvers and food. As time goes by, your weeping slows into silent as you sit besides your father. Silently wait for something to happen.

One or two hours after your tearful outburst, two armed men in dark brown uniform arrives. You recognize from your father’s teaching that they are the local police officer. They usually ignore the beggars unless they receive a complaint from a local denizen.

“Ah, there‘s the dead beggar, Officer Rong.” The thinner of the two officers pointed at your direction. His eagle-like eyes pieces at your direction with great sharpness and intimidation.

“Indeed, Officer Wright.” The fat officer who dressed much more loosely compare to his compatriot replied. A look of gross disgust is shown on his face as he looks at you two.

As they approaches, you…
1a) Ferocity – Scream at the approaching men to stay away or y-you will get angry!
1b) Honor – Offer a bow to the approaching officers.
1c) Do nothing.
1d) Write in

The sharp eyes of Wright changed to a looks that’s filled with compassion for your lost. Rong simply smiles and greets you, “Relax, boy. We are here to… Take your father away.” He smiles grow wider. Officer Wright looks at him in shock.

“How can you be so insensitive!?” He questioned his companion in disbelieve.

Rong pick his ears as he reply, “Hey, you don’t need to be so loud. We don’t have all day to make a beggar kid feel better.”

Wright gesture respectfully at your father, “We can spare at least a word of condolence!”

“Don’t overstep your rank, new hire!” The annoyed Rong commands. “I am here to supervise your training and I can mark you down for insubordination!”

“Yes, sir.” Wright grits his teeth at the authority.

“Good, good. Respect my authority is good.” Rong looks at you, “Isn’t that right, kid?”
2a) Loyalty – Yes, it’s important to place one’s interest above self.
2b) Individualism – NO! His personal feeling is more important than your superiority!
2c) I am indifferent to authority.
2d) Write in.

They give each other a glare before putting it aside for another time. The thin and righteous officer lowers himself and says to you in a gentle voice. “I understand how you feel, dear. Everyone have to pass away eventually.” You shake your head to deny childishly at the truth. Wright sighs and continues “I know it’s hard, but your father will soon decompose, and the smell will trouble everyone.” He looks you in the eyes and ask you seriously, “Wouldn’t it be bad if your father is not buried?”
3a) Righteousness - He is right, I have a filial duty as a son to give my parent a proper burial.
3b) Revenge – Ha, serve him right for bringing me into this world as a beggar! He promised me of ridding this terrible life!
3c) I… Don’t know…
3d) Write in

He continues, “Would he want to trouble other people after death?”
4a) Obsession – I WANT MY FATHER WITH ME FOREVER!
4b) Benevolence – He speak the truth. It would be bad to trouble others.
4c) I… But… I-
4d) Write in

Rong stepped in suddenly to complain, “What? We are not wasting time to bury a beggar! Just toss him into the forest and let the wild beast clean it up the natural way!”

Wright’s eyes gone wide and his face goes red at the heartless outburst of his comrade. His hand is on the hilt of his sword. You backed away from the scary pressure that the man emits. When Wright saw your fear, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He stands up to debate with his superior in a calm voice. “Officer Rong, our order is to bury the death. Beggar or not.”

“Tsk.” Rong spit his annoyance out of his mouth. He eyes glance at your bowl of donation for the first time, and he grin a bit wider. “I have a better idea.”

Wright looks at him with suspicious eyes as Rong lowers himself to you with a much… Nicer, chubby, face. “Listen kid,” He begins, “I see you make a fortune with the donation today, and it look like you have earned yourself 100 silver. Well done, very well done.” He eyes the bowl full of silver once more before he continues, “Here’s my offer. Pay us 10 silver and we will do a proper burial for your father. Deal?” You can see Wright’s biting his lip and eyes full of fires. Ready to chastise the inhuman pig.
5a) Force – I will dig a grave for my father instead. With my bare hands if I must.
5b) Ruthlessness – Sure, they can do all the hard work while I watch.
5c) 10 silver!? Th-that’s 10 veggies bun or 2 wonderful bowl of noodle!
5d) Write in.

-------------------
Please vote one for each numbered options. They will decides our character’s Virtue, which is your personal ideal that will eventually become your code of Xia. You don’t need to follow or enact any your ideal, but if you do so in an impressive display of your chosen virtue, you will earn Deeds.
Deeds give you Jose (Luck point) and Entanglement (GM buy you things that tie you to certain story/character/things). The more points you have in certain virtue (Max 5), the more Deeds you earn.

Choosing C will mean I skip those virtues and put more points into other virtues. I will use a percentage based result to determine how many points to put on each virtue. Very low vote count on virtue might be ignored.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 13, 2015

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1a) Ferocity – Scream at the approaching men to stay away or y-you will get angry!
2b) Individualism – NO! His personal feeling is more important than your superiority!

3a) Righteousness - He is right, I have a filial duty as a son to give my parent a proper burial.
5a) Force – I will dig a grave for my father instead. With my bare hands if I must.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1b
2b
3a
4b
5a

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
:(

1BOur father taught us well.
2B
3AHe did so much for us. It's the least we can do.
4B
5A

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

All this.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

1 b
2 b
3 a
4 b
5 d I will buy a shovel for a single silver, conserving my strength while accomplishing my task.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
1B
2B
3A
4B
5A

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

wiegieman posted:

5 d I will buy a shovel for a single silver, conserving my strength while accomplishing my task.
Shovel cost uhh... 8 - 15 silver, but I guess you can rent it for a silver. As long as you don't broke it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

:(

1BOur father taught us well.
2B
3AHe did so much for us. It's the least we can do.
4B
5A

This.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

1c Our father just died, let us have a little time to mourn.
2b Screw you, Wong
3a Wright's got a point, though
4b A good point.
5a Not giving that rear end in a top hat Wong any of our good money for a burial, though.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1b) Honor – Offer a bow to the approaching officers.
2a) Loyalty – Yes, it’s important to place one’s interest above self.
5b) Ruthlessness – Sure, they can do all the hard work while I watch.

We may beg for a living, but we are not a savage. Society has rules for a reason, and even if you've fallen out of the mainstream it's important to follow them if you're ever going to reintegrate. Of course

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
1b
2b
3a
4b
5a

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Haha wright and rong!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1b: Honour
2b: Individualism
3a: Righteousness
4b: Benevolence
5a: Force

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

pre:
1a 11				Ferocity
1b 11111111			Honor
2a 1				Loyalty
2b 111111111			Individualism
3a 11111111111		        Rightousness
3b				Revenge
4a 				Obsession
4b 11111111111		        Benevolence
5a 111111111			Force
5b 1				Ruthlessness

Chivalrous Virtue 
Benevolence 		4
Force			4
Honor			3
Loyalty		        1
Righteousness	        4

Selfish Virtue
Ferocity		1
Individualism		5
Obsession		1
Revenge		        1
Ruthlessness		1
Chivalrous Virtues are ideal that represent the demeanor of the perfect gentleman, a true hero that all people should strive for.

Selfish Virtues are darker drives that urge you to greatness. They aren't necessarily wrong in the
traditional sense. A hero who terribly disfigures all bandits she defeats is still a hero, and a very impressive one at that! She's given respect grudgingly and possibly in secret, but her actions demand respect just the same.

Virtues DO NOT influence your action. They merely reward you for following it. You can spend more Destiny (Exp) to purchase any of them later. I intent to let you redo this when we reach adulthood.

I took the liberty of moving one point from Honor to max out Individualism because the reward for selfish virtue is slightly different and equally helpful to have.

------------------------------------------------------

Some scholar debates that a person’s ideal are shaped by its environment. Your heart was touched by your father’s dedication to raise you. As such, this Chivalrous heart leads you to oppose everything that is Rong.

Achievement Unlocked

+1 Chivalrous Joss

Officer Wright nods in responds to your continuous denial to the superior Officer Rong’s merciless attitude toward the weak and powerless. He sees you in better lights and might be considering you a friend that’s worth having. Your response might also have calmed the displeasure of Wright and prevented an outright action of insubordination from occurring today.

On the other hand, great displeasure is shown on the meaty face of Rong. “You think you can dig a grave all by yourself, kid?”

Wright turns around, “What do you mean all by himself, We-“

Rong’s eyes darts at Wright and interrupt, “HE will dig the grave himself. This is an order. Is that clear?”

Wright is awestrucked at the ruthlessness of this man of authority. Going so far to bully a kid by letting him dig his father’s grave all alone? Such disrespectful and in-

“Even so, I will do it. It’s my filial duty as a son to make sure my father can rest in peace.” You say proudly with righteous confidence.

Rong bellows his laugh at your declaration. His belly moves like waves of clouds drifting through the sky in a windy day. “You hear that? Wright? This kid sure talks big!”

“B-but there’s no way this kid can possibly do it!” Wright tries to reason with Rong.

The reasoning ceased Rong’s merriment. He put his face close to Wright and pokes a finger at his chest. “Wright, last warning, if you try to waste our time by helping a random beggar, then I will do all in my power make sure you won’t get this job ever again.”

Angers return to Wright. He looks at you, and looks back at Rong, mentally deciding a difficult choices of helping you, disobey his superior, and possibly not able to feed his family from losing his job. The Chivalrous virtues in his mind are fighting with each other in this moral dilemma.

1A) Dig it with my BARE HANDS.
1B) Borrow/lease a shovel from someone.
1C) Try to find a shovel from the trash.
1D) Try to craft a low quality makeshift shovel that would break easily/instantly.
1E) Write in.

2A) Ask Wright to help you, even if that means he will lose his job.
2B) Let him decide.
2C) Reassure Wright that you can handle it.
2D) Write in.

------------------------------------------------------

Note: You currently have 1 Chivalrous Joss and 3 starting joss that can be either type. You can only have a max of 10 Chivalrous Joss and 10 Malicious Joss.

Joss
*Joss are luck and fortune that player can affect the odds of certain actions.
*They are also narrative currency that can let you create minor and reasonable coincident. A certain item is discovered at a reasonable place, a chance meeting with someone you have involvement with or with that person's other ties.
*Some Secret Arts use Joss, but you don’t have any yet.

Example Usage:
- Spend a Chivalrous Joss to increase your odds to find a shovel (Shovel quality depends on skill roll result).
- Spend a Chivalrous Joss to increase your odds in digging the grave.
- Spend a Chivalrous or Malicious Joss to ‘minor coincidentally’ find a worn-out shovel somewhere.
- Spend a Malicious Joss whenever Rong and anyone tries to hinder you by decreasing their odd of success.

Note: Your current rank only allow spending one joss per round/action.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 14, 2015

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
1B, 2B

He seems like good people; we shouldn't be asking him to screw himself over on our account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

1E) Just buy a shovel

A good shovel is an investment. An investment we can later use to beat up anyone that tries to mess with the little orphaned beggar.

2B) Let him decide

Officer Wright is his own man with his own morals. Let him do whatever he thinks he has to do.