Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
fool of sound please teach me how to not bad bad at this game T_T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

i cant im really bad ask nuclearmonkee

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Note that the Devourer's bite instakill only works on things with souls; mindless things (skeletons, animated statues) are immune to its effect. This means that the Colossal Fetish (the only Mindless pretender) is the only pretender that can reliably beat up a Devourer in a fair fight.

Sadly the Fetish is otherwise a pretty crappy chassis and is only available to Machaka while the Devourer is only available to C'tis so I don't think that fight has ever actually happened.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

I can teach you how to be utterly terrible!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Baudin posted:

I can teach you how to be utterly terrible!

I am losing to indies.

I may come hang out in the IRC.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Neruz posted:

They invade Bandar Log which is north-west of C'tis, according to the description of their 2 Bandar heros.

Actually that's Machaka, not Arco. I have no idea what the connection between Arco and Bandar Log is; I can't see anything in the nation or unit descriptions.

also the arco sibyls learned their magic from sabba, probably

Samog fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 12, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh right those guys. I completely forgot those existed because they're so useless :v:

That would certainly seem to indicate that MA Arco and MA Bandar Log exist at the same time though, since Bandar Log is only Bandar Log in MA.

Samog posted:

also the arco sibyls learned their magic from sabba, probably

Or maybe the other way around, no-one is quite sure :v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
neruz's colossal fetish is for ponies

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

biosterous posted:

Please don't thumbnail everything in the update posts. It makes it a pain to read.

In commemoration of the awful Dom4 UI I'm being horrible and using timg for most of my posts (I'm actually doing it to prevent breaking tables)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

I am losing to indies.

I may come hang out in the IRC.

Ok we need to do a quick blitz, I can teach you how to kill indies at least (despite my failure in this very thread).

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Baudin posted:

In commemoration of the awful Dom4 UI I'm being horrible and using timg for most of my posts (I'm actually doing it to prevent breaking tables)

You switched from timg'ing everything to only timg'ing the maps, which is fine.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
Pardon my asking, but still used to Dom3. So unholy summoning now has longdead horseman at H2 rather than H3? That is a bit of a surprise, as it really opens the horsemen up. Also, did they do away with summoning zombies (forget what the game called them). I found in Dom3 with MA Ermor that every time you win a battle it was often times worth it to have all your thaumaturgs reanimate dead since you got a boost to the number of zombies created when fresh bodies were around. They made better arrow chaff than longdead due to the extra HP, at least in my experience.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Griffen posted:

Pardon my asking, but still used to Dom3. So unholy summoning now has longdead horseman at H2 rather than H3? That is a bit of a surprise, as it really opens the horsemen up. Also, did they do away with summoning zombies (forget what the game called them). I found in Dom3 with MA Ermor that every time you win a battle it was often times worth it to have all your thaumaturgs reanimate dead since you got a boost to the number of zombies created when fresh bodies were around. They made better arrow chaff than longdead due to the extra HP, at least in my experience.

Yeah I think you can still summon Soulless (zombies), but they require unburied corpses in provinces (which only happen when there's been a battle there recently). I think Longdead Horsemen are H2, though I could be mistaken.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Neruz posted:

Oh right those guys. I completely forgot those existed because they're so useless :v:

That would certainly seem to indicate that MA Arco and MA Bandar Log exist at the same time though, since Bandar Log is only Bandar Log in MA.

Or maybe the other way around, no-one is quite sure :v:

sabba learned all her stuff directly from the grigori!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's always funny to me how there's all these nations inspired by various mythologies and in the middle of it all there's r'lyeh and atlantis which are just sitting there all warty and poo poo, chock-full of lovecraft references and not much else. atlantians are a bit more diverse and have some influence on other nations, but r'lyeh is literally just 'once upon a time there were really lovely things living on the bottom of the ocean and then a meteor fell and aliens from that meteor now live in that same place and later on they rip a hole in the space time continuum or whatever and are going crazy'

that said, i actually find LA r'lyeh fun to play because if nothing else you can be annoying and use the time to gently caress around and/or experiment with things because literally no one is gonna want to push into your territory

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
A thought just occurred to me.

Has anyone on SA (or anywhere) written like introductory guides to any nations? List the unit's what they are good at, one or two basic strats and some pretender examples. Could make a pretty good wiki out of all that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

It's actually not too bad for the most part. The biggest difficulties I have are with spell modding, which does utterly unpredictable things for no apparent reason, and requires you to fiddle around a lot to get all but the simplest effects to work.

At least summoning spells are straightforward to make, as long as you can understand the mad troll moon logic behind it. Also, it works best if you make your own monsters to summon, since this way you can make absolutely sure the monsters have the right montag-value (you need that to tell your spell what to summon).

There are some traps I've encountered, though: Spell-modding uses the first path-requirement to determine what gems the spell will need, so if you're building a summon spell, don't ever use holy as first path for that spell or you get with an unusable spell demanding gems which don't exist. Another weird interaction is summoning for commanders: You can only ever summon one commander per spell. The command for telling Dominions 4 how many monsters you want per spell just flat out won't work if you tell the spell to summon a monster as a commander.

The rest is easy:

-Make monster with montag-value
-Tell spell to use montag-value as damage
-Tell spell it's a summon-spell by adjusting it's damage accordingly
-Set path-requirements
-Set gem-usage by adjusting fatigue (100 fatigue = 1 gem used)
-Set school
-Set research-level
-Set effect: Here for some reason you need to put a number determining if you want a common summon spell or a commander summon AND the monster-number
-Set number of monsters to summon
-Adjust this number for more monsters per mage-strength
-As long as the spell damage is set to summoning something, the spell will be a ritual automatically, so you're done now.

Just avoid typos, have a plan before you start and relax. It's however quite strange that you'll need to set your monster/commander essentially twice: Both as Spell-effect and with the negative montag-value as damage. It just plain doesn't work otherwise.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 12, 2015

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There's a new item available in Dominions 4 at Construction 4, D1 called the Amulet of the Dead which is positively Bitchin for summoning Longdead Horsemen with H2s, as well; it gives reanimators 2 more of whatever they were summoning, so you leap from 1 horseman to 3 on a Holy 2 priest.

Since Camazotz have a 25% shot at E2, which you can boost to E3 for 10 gems using a booster called Earth Boots (also available at Construction 4), Boing can knock out 3-gem Amulets of the Dead with a Dwarven Hammer, which is a loving bargain as they go.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 12, 2015

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gridlocked posted:

A thought just occurred to me.

Has anyone on SA (or anywhere) written like introductory guides to any nations? List the unit's what they are good at, one or two basic strats and some pretender examples. Could make a pretty good wiki out of all that.

There's a lot of guides on the desura forums that tend to be universally poo poo. There's been a bunch of guides of varying lengths posted in the main Games thread here, but they are sorta scattered across the thread. The lack of a wiki as a central information repository is unhelpful.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Make one?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

There's a lot of guides on the desura forums that tend to be universally poo poo. There's been a bunch of guides of varying lengths posted in the main Games thread here, but they are sorta scattered across the thread. The lack of a wiki as a central information repository is unhelpful.

I remember a guide where I poo poo you not, someone actually had the galls to suggest waiting for 10 turns before doing anything besides cap recruiting was a good idea. Translated into the game this would mean you start expansion around the time every other player has something like 9-12 provinces to your single one. :shepface:

It's a bad idea even in single-player.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

I remember a guide where I poo poo you not, someone actually had the galls to suggest waiting for 10 turns before doing anything besides cap recruiting was a good idea. Translated into the game this would mean you start expansion around the time every other player has something like 9-12 provinces to your single one. :shepface:

It's a bad idea even in single-player.

This guide is the best guide ever made. It was made for dom3 but still works.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=31148

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Oh god the Niefelheim guide don't even need to open the link.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

my dad posted:

Make one?

I bet that's easier said than done.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Rip Gandalf Parker, rip the Pro Niefel Strat.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you aren't using Baalz guides you ain't much.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

turn 9: JonJoe quit and now iloveu is taking over, which is not great. I've played iloveu before and I'm definitely the weaker player. Burlap is not willing to pay me for the province I took, so I guess we're gonna fight. Based on mage picks (mostly blood with some death) and unit picks (expensive) I'm not too worried about Burlap this early in the game. Better to trash a nation with blood sac early, before they can get some research. Burlap's cave crossbows are better than mine I think, but fire slower and my sacreds seem better. joeJoe/iloveu fail an expansion at a prov that I was about to hit, so that's good for me. I'm going really light on recruitment for a turn or two so I can poo poo out a fortress. Since you can only draw money from provs that connect to an unseiged fort, if you can jump on someone's only fort they are basically hosed. I'm gonna move my prophet's army back to that cave and take it out real quick. My prophet should be able to banish the poo poo out of demons/ghosts. (Future edit: that whole plan was really bad. I lost a bunch of turns moving back and wussed out on fighting Burlap so there was no point really)
Here's my view of the world with rough borders drawn on:

turn 10: Burlap has a bunch of stuff near my border, way more of those Earthbound than I thought were likely this early in the game. Recruiting a scout in northwestern keepwood so I can build a second fort. my expansion is loving terrible but it looks like burlap, baudin, and iloveu are also pretty hemmed in. I see boing to the south of burlap and BurntCornMuffin up north of iloveu and fleurs. Xanrick is in the ocean somewhere (I can tell because of some water only mercs). iloveu has a bunch of heavy cav ready to hit my next expansion target. I don't know if I can win or not, but gently caress it: going for it. If I win iloveu probably will leave me alone for awhile, if I lose then that probably signals an invasion. At this rate I'll have between 10 & 15 provs at the end of year one. Generally you want at least 12, so I'm sort of on track? So far I have no good indies to recruit which is a bummer, but not the end of the world. Things aren't going great, but they aren't terrible either.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ah ha ha Earthbound, oh lordy.

Let's take the only possible mitigating factor for the horrific encumbrance of Caelian troops and exchange it for EVEN MORE encumbrance.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

they get reinvig 3 so they are fine :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Feinne posted:

Ah ha ha Earthbound, oh lordy.

Let's take the only possible mitigating factor for the horrific encumbrance of Caelian troops and exchange it for EVEN MORE encumbrance.

They buffed them in Caelum patch so they have xbows and are basically thicker sacred tower guard instead of worthless now.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yep they good

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They buffed them in Caelum patch so they have xbows and are basically thicker sacred tower guard instead of worthless now.

Well, at least that gives them a role.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

His nation is total garbage though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Libluini posted:

-Make monster with montag-value
-Tell spell to use montag-value as damage
-Tell spell it's a summon-spell by adjusting it's damage accordingly
-Set path-requirements
-Set gem-usage by adjusting fatigue (100 fatigue = 1 gem used)
-Set school
-Set research-level
-Set effect: Here for some reason you need to put a number determining if you want a common summon spell or a commander summon AND the monster-number
-Set number of monsters to summon
-Adjust this number for more monsters per mage-strength
-As long as the spell damage is set to summoning something, the spell will be a ritual automatically, so you're done now.

Just avoid typos, have a plan before you start and relax. It's however quite strange that you'll need to set your monster/commander essentially twice: Both as Spell-effect and with the negative montag-value as damage. It just plain doesn't work otherwise.

I'm pretty sure this is 50% incorrect, but I also haven't written a mod in like 8 months, so what do I know?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

National Gimmick: Reanimation
This is the single biggest threat in Boing's nation: his priests can spend their turns summoning free undead units: Ghouls or Longdead, or for H2+ priests, Longdead Horsemen. Ghouls aren't really worth talking about because they kill your population when you summon them. I think they have a paralyze attack though, so maybe they'll see some use? Longdead are your basic skeletons: poo poo trash, useful only in that they're free and come in large numbers, often large enough to defeat otherwise superior armies. They can win basically any battle that doesn't contain on of their counters, of which there are a decent amount. Longdead Horsemen are better; not fantastic, but reasonable fighters and useful on the alpha strike; Boing will probably make a lot of these.

Ghouls can actually be extremely useful, as long as you're not depopulating your major income provinces. As they require no supplies, have decent strength AND are not actually mindless like most mass-produced undead, they make incredibly good troops to stuff your forts with. They also don't cost any upkeep like most similar troops, such as Ghoul Guardians. So depopulate your worthless provinces, and proceed to stuff all those ghouls into important forts you don't really want to lose - like thrones.

Also, I've got a question about the national gimmick in general - Is the ability pulled from Sceleria? Because however Sceleria' coded, their reanimation can also reanimate Longdead varieties of their basic troops while using the standard Longdead choice, which are actually really good. They all have at least Prot 10, with some significantly higher, along with some of them carrying javelins or longspears, which is really nice on your undead hordes, because it means common battlefield removal spells, like Earthquake or Rain of Stones, won't necessarily wipe them. If that ability was folded into the gimmick, whether accidentally or intentionally, it actually gives a decent reason to reanimate Longdead over Horsemen. Especially as for your basic H2 priest you're getting 5 longdead reanimated for every 1 horseman you would otherwise get. At H3 it moves to 7/2, which brings it back into the horsemen's favor a bit.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Speleothing posted:

I'm pretty sure this is 50% incorrect, but I also haven't written a mod in like 8 months, so what do I know?

It's actually more convoluted than making a summon spell in dom3 if that's accurate which is pretty lol.

Not MUCH more convoluted but you didn't need to add the monster number to the #effect before.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 12, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Also, I've got a question about the national gimmick in general - Is the ability pulled from Sceleria? Because however Sceleria' coded, their reanimation can also reanimate Longdead varieties of their basic troops while using the standard Longdead choice, which are actually really good. They all have at least Prot 10, with some significantly higher, along with some of them carrying javelins or longspears, which is really nice on your undead hordes, because it means common battlefield removal spells, like Earthquake or Rain of Stones, won't necessarily wipe them. If that ability was folded into the gimmick, whether accidentally or intentionally, it actually gives a decent reason to reanimate Longdead over Horsemen. Especially as for your basic H2 priest you're getting 5 longdead reanimated for every 1 horseman you would otherwise get. At H3 it moves to 7/2, which brings it back into the horsemen's favor a bit.

Yeah, the ability is a wholesale copy of Sceleria's.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Feinne posted:

It's actually more convoluted than making a summon spell in dom3 if that's accurate which is pretty lol.

Not MUCH more convoluted but you didn't need to add the monster number to the #effect before.
You don't now.

Here's a working spell from a mod I made:

#newspell
#name "Raise Fomorian Spearmen"
#descr "With this spell, a mage brings three Fomorian Spearman from the dead. Although talented warriors, these troops have lost much of their magic resistance during the passage back to their false life."
#school 0
#restricted 144
#researchlevel 0
#path 0 5
#pathlevel 0 2
#effect 10001
#fatiguecost 300
#damage 3768
#nreff 3
#end

The #damage is the monster number.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to seeing how you pilot my nation, ILoveYou. I had to leave this game because of real life stuff demanding my full and immediate attention; everything is sorted out now, but I couldn't play for a very long time and it would have been unfair to other players to pause the game that long.

Hi, I'm JonJoe. My player M.O. is to collect 8 million billion dominions facts, most of which are probably wrong, and talk about them IRC. I'll play almost any nation, but am known for silly rush-down strategies, loving expansion a little too much, and NAPing Ermor/selling death gems to R'leyh. I am typically short sighted in my play, which is my biggest weakness; I want your provinces NOW, drat it! I've won two games of Dom4, both before turn 40, by being extremely aggressive and also relying on my other strength: diplomacy. I talk with other players in the game a lot and am always looking to capitalize on other's misfortune to make good trades (for me). I'm often the first person to ask someone halfway across the map from me "U ded gib gemz plox?" In one massive game as LA Man I was wheeling and dealing my way to a massive gem income, where I was making 10 or more gems PER TURN in gem-for-gem trades alone. I didn't win that game, because I was LA Man. It was still fun to watch my numbers go up, anyway!

One part of my typical play that I've yet to touch on: I go AI. A lot. My previously mentioned short-sightedness makes me respond poorly to losing battles. I've gotten better at it than the past, but this and the other draft games were real-life, not in-game related. I would have loved continuing to pilot my extremely good nations to victory. What I may lack in piloting these nations I think I more than made-up for in designing them well. Oh, and I was the person who created the first dom4 draft game, the game of the previous LP.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hi, I'm ChickenWing. I am uninteresting in every way and won't subject you to an effortpost that's completely irrelevant to this thread :sun:

Monkee/Hatwer/ILU are the best active players in the dom4 community. Notable inactives are Flavahbeast and TheDemon, although I don't think I've ever shared a game with either of them.

• Locked thread