Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Probably not safe. If you didn't ice bath it, the time to get out of bacteria growth temps is huge. I'd toss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

G-Prime posted:

Probably not safe. If you didn't ice bath it, the time to get out of bacteria growth temps is huge. I'd toss it.

24hrs @ 133 should be effectively pasteurized though, right? Refrigeration right afterward isn't as fast as an ice bath but it should be adequately fast enough to chill and store a multi-day cook as long as they didn't let the meat cool into the danger zone during the (short) power outage.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Pasteurization is getting rid of "enough" bacteria. It isn't a guarantee of 100% eradication. And as soon as you drop below 130, you're in the danger zone until you get to 40, which takes a VERY long time with air cooling. We're talking hours to get the whole piece down to that safe temp. I wouldn't take the risk, personally. If you feel like living dangerously, crack it open and smell it. If it smells funky at all, I would throw it out immediately.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
OK, I'll play it safe, and remember to do ice bath next time.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
So we've been under water rationing in PR, let me tell you, the Anova makes an awesome bucket heater (I don't need really hot water just a few degrees above air temp so it doesn't feel like I am freezing).

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
oookay yeah... I feel very sorry for anybody who is still ziploc'ing and who missed out on the meh.com vac sealer... Seriously SO much better. Had no idea how much time I was wasting burping ziplocs.

Will definitely have to get a nicer one when this one eventually explodes.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

drukqs posted:

oookay yeah... I feel very sorry for anybody who is still ziploc'ing and who missed out on the meh.com vac sealer... Seriously SO much better. Had no idea how much time I was wasting burping ziplocs.

Will definitely have to get a nicer one when this one eventually explodes.

I only use ziplocs for the easier, short cooks. Foodsaver's for everything else, long cooks, higher temp etc.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So if my dinky 30 dollar from amazon Rival sealer just bit it-which I think it has; it'll pull a bit of vacuum but not enough to trigger the sealing mechanism- what's the smart money for a replacement? I'd be willing to spend I guess around a hundred bucks to get one that adds some features like hands-free cycling, separate seal and vacuum cycles, and a decently beefy vacuum pump.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Isn't there an option to manually trigger the seal? Just use that.

Even if it doesn't get the 70-80% full strength seal, it's fine as long as it's getting as much air out as the water displacement method.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

On this one actually there isn't, or yeah I'd just do it like that; it pulls vacuum til some pre ordained level is reached then the sealer fires automatically.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm surprised how few bags the meh sealer came with but I probably shouldn't be.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

the yeti posted:

So if my dinky 30 dollar from amazon Rival sealer just bit it-which I think it has; it'll pull a bit of vacuum but not enough to trigger the sealing mechanism
Try removing and re-seating the foam rubber gaskets. If it's an older Rival sealer you can try flipping them as well---the older ones are the same both sides but the newer ones have notches on one side to mate with the grooves they fit into. If that doesn't work, you can also try taking the gaskets out and just letting them sit on the counter overnight, which causes them to relax a little unless they're old enough that they've lost all their elasticity.

Point being that if the pump is still running but it's not evacuating the bag correctly, about 99% of the time the problem is with the foam rubber gaskets. Or at least that's been my experience with the cheapass Rival sealers.

But to answer your actual question, when my cheapass Rival sealer died (as in the pump gave out) I just bought a newer cheapass Rival sealer. I wouldn't bother spending more on a consumer-grade sealer unless you were planning on making the jump to a chamber vac. All consumer-grade sealers pretty much accomplish the same poo poo, and personally I don't feel like it's one of those things where I accomplish the task better/faster/whatever by virtue of the cosmetic differences---unlike something like a knife or a pot handle or something, where I might notice a minor difference a lot and feel like an upgrade is worth it even for minor poo poo. But I mean it's your money.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

SubG posted:

Try removing and re-seating the foam rubber gaskets. If it's an older Rival sealer you can try flipping them as well---the older ones are the same both sides but the newer ones have notches on one side to mate with the grooves they fit into. If that doesn't work, you can also try taking the gaskets out and just letting them sit on the counter overnight, which causes them to relax a little unless they're old enough that they've lost all their elasticity.

Oh cool okay, I hadn't fiddled with the gaskets much besides cleaning them. I'll see if flipping them helps.

quote:

I wouldn't bother spending more on a consumer-grade sealer unless you were planning on making the jump to a chamber vac.

:ohdear: Ehh...when I have enough freezer space to justify freezing a ton of meat I probably will spring for one but until then. Those are like 500 bucks minimum right?

the yeti fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 8, 2015

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

uh oh...

somebody interfered with my tri tip.

had it set for 132.5, went and passed out for a nap.

when I woke up, checked on it (I THINK) about an hour and a half later it dropped to 122, and was turned off. Timer duration was cleared as well.

Not so concerned with who effed with it or why but.. Is this meat still okay? I baled out some water, boiled it, then got the bath back up to temp and I'm gonna leave it for another three hours (roughly on my original schedule/recipe) but... given that there was such a severe temperature dip, should I be worried, or make any changes?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Don't use your puddler wherever you're using it anymore. Someone loving with it can kill you. I don't know if that particular meat is okay, but I say better safe than sorry.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I personally would rather make something else for dinner than eat raw meat that hung out in the middle of the danger zone for unknown hours.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

It had at least 3 hours at my desired temp before this 60-90 minute (presumably gradual) dip...

God damnit.

$20 direct down shitter.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Alright... Tri-tip chucked.

Starting **48 hour short ribs

http://stefangourmet.com/2012/05/07/best-temperature-for-beef-short-ribs-sous-vide/

(In a different part of the house, behind lock and key...)

drukqs fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 9, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

the yeti posted:

:ohdear: Ehh...when I have enough freezer space to justify freezing a ton of meat I probably will spring for one but until then. Those are like 500 bucks minimum right?
Yeah. And you end up wanting a cheapass non-chamber vac as well (or go back to using baggies and water displacement) for some poo poo anyway (e.g. burgers and other things where you want as little compression as possible).

drukqs posted:

uh oh...

somebody interfered with my tri tip.

had it set for 132.5, went and passed out for a nap.

when I woke up, checked on it (I THINK) about an hour and a half later it dropped to 122, and was turned off. Timer duration was cleared as well.
Is it connected to a GFCI outlet (one of the ones with a wee breaker in it)? One of the outlets in my kitchen with a newer GFCI unit likes to trip whenever there's something pulling constant current from it when the AC comes on. I wouldn't recommend preferentially using a non-protected outlet (particularly with an appliance that's basically an electrical bucket of water) but some are more sensitive to the quality of your residential ground than others.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

blixa posted:

Welp, my Anova (the older model) stopped heating the water today. Dropped some chicken in at 66C and when I got back from the gym it was at 50C (confirmed with a thermometer). Reached out to their customer support. Hope they can help.

That chicken went straight into the trash :(

Contacted Anova support. They gave me some basic troubleshooting steps that didn't work (e.g. "cover the pot"). When I told them, they immediately sent a FedEx shipping label and said they'll ship a new unit as soon as tracking is available.

Now that's good customer service.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SubG posted:

Yeah. And you end up wanting a cheapass non-chamber vac as well (or go back to using baggies and water displacement) for some poo poo anyway (e.g. burgers and other things where you want as little compression as possible).

A good chamber vac will have a setting for vac time. It's pretty easy to seal things without compression.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

SubG posted:

Is it connected to a GFCI outlet (one of the ones with a wee breaker in it)? One of the outlets in my kitchen with a newer GFCI unit likes to trip whenever there's something pulling constant current from it when the AC comes on. I wouldn't recommend preferentially using a non-protected outlet (particularly with an appliance that's basically an electrical bucket of water) but some are more sensitive to the quality of your residential ground than others.

Nah it is older wiring for sure, not GFCI but... It turns out my Troglodyte brother unplugged it so he could run his blender...

(Meanwhile there are a half dozen other outlets in the same general vicinity which he could have used instead, INCLUDING an open one directly below where my Anova was plugged in.)

Oh well. I'll be back into my own place soon enough.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

drukqs posted:

Nah it is older wiring for sure, not GFCI but... It turns out my Troglodyte brother unplugged it so he could run his blender...
What a waste :(

Maybe consider throwing out the blender? Then he won't have that excuse ;)

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I mean, I guess that would be fine if you want to do sous vide peas in a coffee cup? Here's a quote from one of the reviews:

I was looking at similar things (albeit higher power) for brewing, but stick heaters like that are apparently not generally food safe. Not an issue if your stuff is in bags for SV, but a dealbreaker for brewing unfortunately.

Yeah I had low opinions for those things to begin with, luckily I realized Slow cookers are a much better options. Still haven't got the PID in the mail yet.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Oooooo boy.. So... Yeah my 48 hour short ribs looked fine, texture is about how I hoped it would be but... They went directly into the garbage.

Just salt + pepper, directly into vac bag (which I did clean and dry prior to use)... 48 hours @ 135F. Took em out a few minutes ago, got a cast iron pan heated up to sear em....

They came out with a dog-poop odor which... I think has sort of matured into a faint "moldy cheese."

What did I not do that I should've done? Pre-SV torch on the exterior to maybe blast off contaminants? I almost want to blame the pepper, the odor does seem "peppery" but that might just be pepper being... pepper....

CrazyLittle posted:

What a waste :(

Maybe consider throwing out the blender? Then he won't have that excuse ;)

Needs to get flogged. A couple of times to make up for the floggings he's due from his innumerable previous transgressions :mad:

drukqs fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 11, 2015

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
That's a somewhat common problem with long low-temp cooks, particularly 48-72 hour short ribs. It's a good practice to sterilize the surface of the meat. You can torch, sear, or just dunk them in and out of a pot of boiling water.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

drukqs posted:

Oooooo boy.. So... Yeah my 48 hour short ribs looked fine, texture is about how I hoped it would be but... They went directly into the garbage.

Just salt + pepper, directly into vac bag (which I did clean and dry prior to use)... 48 hours @ 135F. Took em out a few minutes ago, got a cast iron pan heated up to sear em....

They came out with a dog-poop odor which... I think has sort of matured into a faint "moldy cheese."

Just do a quick dip in boiling water before putting the meat in the bag, maybe like 10 seconds. There's some bacteria that's not killed at SV temperatures that's not harmful but can create green slime and a weird smell if left long enough (24-48 hours). Still, probably better safe than sorry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure but there's a chance it got gamey because of the bone marrow. I had oxtail turn funky dunky like old gym socks after 4 days but I ate it and it was alright.

I think the way to tell might be how much expansion there is in the bag from bacteria waste gases, but I haven't had a bad batch yet to test such a thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never put pepper in long sv cooks. It gets funky. Beyond that, I've never had any issues with funkiness from long cooks. Save the pepper for after.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I did this chicken thigh recipe last night and it was goddamn delicious. I bagged the thighs with a slice of lemon, some rosemary sprigs, cooked at 155F for 2 hours, then dunked it in ice water as recommended.

But the skin turned extremely soggy and fragile -- some of it broke off just from removing the rosemary that got embedded into it. Naturally, when I fried it, the skin ended up completely sticking to the pan. It made for good deglazing fodder, mind you, but I'd rather have the skin whole.

I'm thinking the main offender here is the lemon slice, and that its acidity must've somehow weakened the skin beyond normal moisture? But then the chicken salad recipe also uses lemon slices and yet that skin looks pristine when he's peeling it off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jan posted:

I did this chicken thigh recipe last night and it was goddamn delicious. I bagged the thighs with a slice of lemon, some rosemary sprigs, cooked at 155F for 2 hours, then dunked it in ice water as recommended.

But the skin turned extremely soggy and fragile -- some of it broke off just from removing the rosemary that got embedded into it. Naturally, when I fried it, the skin ended up completely sticking to the pan. It made for good deglazing fodder, mind you, but I'd rather have the skin whole.

I'm thinking the main offender here is the lemon slice, and that its acidity must've somehow weakened the skin beyond normal moisture? But then the chicken salad recipe also uses lemon slices and yet that skin looks pristine when he's peeling it off.

I made this very recipe two nights ago and the same thing happened to me--pretty disappointing even though the sauce was tasty and the chicken was extremely flavorful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, last time I used lemon slices I got a bitter taste that I attributed to the lemon. Wonder if it was something else.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, last time I used lemon slices I got a bitter taste that I attributed to the lemon. Wonder if it was something else.

Did you make sure to remove the seeds from the slices? I could see those adding a lot of bitterness.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jan posted:

I made this as well without lemon slices or rosemary and the skin still flew off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

G-Prime posted:

Did you make sure to remove the seeds from the slices? I could see those adding a lot of bitterness.

I don't recall, so probably not! I had assumed it was from the pith.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Hey guys, I'm looking for a store that stocks Sansaire or Anova in San Francisco, CA. I'm only going to be there Friday through Sunday afternoon and want a sous vide quick- what can you recommend and what's a good place to get a deal?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Anova and Sansaire both sell direct on their web sites. I don't think either of them have any resellers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sur la Table definitely sells the big water oven types, if cost is no issue. They maaaaay also have had some of the wand type in-store, but I would call to check.

Your safest bet would be to order what you want on Amazon, have it one-day shipped to an Amazon Locker where you're going, and pick it up when you get there.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

burnsep posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a store that stocks Sansaire or Anova in San Francisco, CA. I'm only going to be there Friday through Sunday afternoon and want a sous vide quick- what can you recommend and what's a good place to get a deal?

A deal? You're almost better off just ordering <whatever> from Amazon and having it drop shipped to wherever you're staying. I don't know of any brick & mortar stores that sell Anova's immersion cookers, and Sur la Table isn't going to give you a "deal" on a Sansaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

burnsep posted:

I found this fancy store in the mission that had a sansaire on the shelf. It was this fancy grocery store I think on Folsom between 20-23rd streets. Sorry I can't be more descriptive but I just saw the place on a walk one day.

Fake edit: it's on Harrison.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/local-mission-market-san-francisco?utm_campaign=mobile_biz_share&utm_medium=social&utm_source=native_share

Real edit: you can see the device hanging up on the wall in the 36th picture on their Yelp page if you look really closely.