Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Tyrone Biggums posted:

So, monk players. Do you guys run your monks with or without armor? If you do use armor, what type would you recommend?

I used something in the medium armor range like a breastplate throughout. Hand and Key was pretty good, Sanguine plate probably synergizes well.

I wouldn't use cloth or light armor unless your monk's the third frontliner, slow and steady incoming damage trumps the extra recovery speed. You can always break engagement to gain wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Tyrone Biggums posted:

So, monk players. Do you guys run your monks with or without armor? If you do use armor, what type would you recommend?
I generally use medium armor on monks as well. In The White March, you can also take Iron Wheel, which generates DR as you acquire Wounds (like Turning Wheel) -- but it's pretty high level, IIRC.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I ran some medium armor too. Enough to keep them a bit protected, but light enough to put out TONS of damage. My monk was my main damage dealer (and taker), and was key to every fight.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was going with robes/padded armor on hard, using my monk as an off tank and Eder as main.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I had my Monk in Hand and Key for most of the game, but that was mostly because it looks amazing and has a good special property.
Medium armor in general worked best for me, though. The Monk got knocked out a couple of times early on when I was trying out lighter armor, despite being a Moon Godlike, but I also had no real tanks to speak of (I relied on the Monk's and Barbarian's ability to shrug off damage but nobody had good Deflection or heavy armor) and used him very aggressively.
Later on when my casters could effectively control enemies all day long and limit incoming damage that way I switched him over to a Robe in part to actually help him take more damage for wound generation. But that was near the endgame.

Edit: This was on PotD, on Hard or below you might want lighter armor depending on how fast the Monk gains wounds.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 12, 2015

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
My monk was in hide armor most of the game because it looks badass.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wizard Styles posted:

I had my Monk in Hand and Key for most of the game, but that was mostly because it looks amazing
Hand and Key and Sun-Touched Mail of Hyran Rath are my two favorite armor appearances in the base game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rope kid posted:

Hand and Key and Sun-Touched Mail of Hyran Rath are my two favorite armor appearances in the base game.

Agreed, though I also liked the scale armor that looks like raven feathers so it was all spikey.

Wait, "base game?" So you got a new favorite from the expansion already?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hand and Key is still probably my overall favorite, but there are two new suits of armor in The White March that look really nice.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I really like how breastplate looks in general. Pallegina's personal armor is probably my second favorite after Hand and Key.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my cipher in my first playthrough wore hand and key all game because it looked so good

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Is there any new music in the expansion?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SoggyBobcat posted:

Is there any new music in the expansion?
Yes. Justin Bell composed new music and we recorded about 75% of it with an orchestra. We also recorded a tavern song with classical guitar and a singer that turned out nicely.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

rope kid posted:

Yes. Justin Bell composed new music and we recorded about 75% of it with an orchestra. We also recorded a tavern song with classical guitar and a singer that turned out nicely.

Was the singer you

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If its not too early to ask, after all of White March comes out is it full steam ahead for PoE 2 or are you guys planning something different?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 12, 2015

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

rope kid posted:

When you say "orchestra" you mean all the Obsidian people that can sing and that you could muster in the building lobby, right?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

Was the singer you
No, it was a professional singer.

Hulk Smash! posted:

When you say "orchestra" you mean all the Obsidian people that can sing and that you could muster in the building lobby, right?
No, it was an orchestra in Budapest. For the base game, we only used OEI people for the trailer music and a few violin solos (by Katrina Schnell).

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

rope kid posted:

No, it was an orchestra in Budapest. For the base game, we only used OEI people for the trailer music and a few violin solos (by Katrina Schnell).

Aww :( I was kidding but I liked what the Obsidian folks did!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I like singing but I'm still friends with a lot of the musicians I knew when I was in the Lawrence Conservatory. It's hard enough for professional musicians and they're obviously much better at it.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
My favourite armor is probably the green one you get from whathisface beneath Caed Nua. Dead guy on a hand.

rope kid posted:

I wish I had the "No fun allowed!" image on hand.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What is the selection process like for picking an orchestra to do the music for a game? I was always lead to believe that many orchestras offer up their talents for a little money and mostly publicity but I've never met anyone on the inside other than a couple musicians who nod and say that definitely happens but not always.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rascyc posted:

What is the selection process like for picking an orchestra to do the music for a game? I was always lead to believe that many orchestras offer up their talents for a little money and mostly publicity but I've never met anyone on the inside other than a couple musicians who nod and say that definitely happens but not always.

I imagine it's a mix of who the composer is and cost.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I was under the impression that there were a few of these orchestras, particularly in eastern Europe that did game scoring to make money on the side/stay solvent in a time where large classical orchestras weren't as profitable or as much of a BIG cultural institution as they used to be.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hawgh posted:

My favourite armor is probably the green one you get from whathisface beneath Caed Nua. Dead guy on a hand.

:love: Argwes Adra

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Are any of those new soulbound weapons a gun by any chance?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Just bullets, so make em count.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, but since I made getting the expansion part of my Kickstarter pledge, I assume that when the expansion is released I'll just be able to get a key from the backer portal like I did with the base game? Or do I need to log in to it now and set something up?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, but since I made getting the expansion part of my Kickstarter pledge, I assume that when the expansion is released I'll just be able to get a key from the backer portal like I did with the base game? Or do I need to log in to it now and set something up?
Yeah, the expansion should be in your backer portal products page under Expansion Pack 1, it may be the first one, is for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, the expansion should be in your backer portal products page under Expansion Pack 1, it may be the first one, is for me.

Oh yeah, just logged in (should have just done this initially, really) and checked and it's listed in there as available once released.

I need to keep better track of these things, this reminds me I have no idea what is going on with the new Torment either.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.

rope kid posted:

I generally use medium armor on monks as well. In The White March, you can also take Iron Wheel, which generates DR as you acquire Wounds (like Turning Wheel) -- but it's pretty high level, IIRC.

I love the sound of that!

I've always played my monks in enchanted clothing and blunting belt. It makes things very intense, so I play monk characters when I'm in the right mood for it, and I try to make the party more passive overall since I'll be micromanaging the monk so much. although most people seem to like playing them with armour, I hope people don't get the impression that cloth monks aren't viable and fun.

I think going high int helps with it actually, because I use a heck of a lot of Force of Anguish and Stunning Blows. Active defense, I guess, reducing incoming damage not through DR but through disables. I auto-slow combat and pause almost constantly with this play-style though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

SunAndSpring posted:

Are any of those new soulbound weapons a gun by any chance?

Yeah, I'm interested in the soulbound weapons.

Also, how early on do you figure players will start seeing Expansion content? RIGHT when they take their fortress or later down the line? Or is it done by like chapter?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is there a gallery anywhere of just the background art? I fond some but its marred with a lovely watermark.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, I'm interested in the soulbound weapons.

Also, how early on do you figure players will start seeing Expansion content? RIGHT when they take their fortress or later down the line? Or is it done by like chapter?
I don't remember exactly where it triggers but I think it's shortly after getting to Defiance Bay.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yo, rope kid, the NPC AI is pretty improved. I like that enemies that can easily disengage do it more often to beat up casters and other squishy members of the party, so kudos for that. Makes enemy barbarians pretty scary because they love to use Wild Sprint and Frenzy all over my wizard. However, the AI behavior for the party casters could use work. For some reason, even when use of Per Rest abilities are toggled off, my party members love to cast poo poo from the Per Rest spells. Still gotta micro my level 12 Aloth because he thinks Adragan's Gaze is a Per Encounter ability instead of just spamming the 7 uses of Slicken he has.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah I noticed that yesterday and have talked to a few folks about it.

e: I followed up and it's just an instruction set/data bug with a few individual spells (like Gaze of the Adragan).

rope kid fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 14, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Were fire blights always basically immune to piercing damage? I didn't think so but idk

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Were fire blights always basically immune to piercing damage? I didn't think so but idk
They were resistant but now they are immune (also immune to Burn).

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

rope kid posted:

Yeah I noticed that yesterday and have talked to a few folks about it.

e: I followed up and it's just an instruction set/data bug with a few individual spells (like Gaze of the Adragan).

Ah good. So will they recognize they can use level 1 and 2 spells per encounter once they hit the right level?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SunAndSpring posted:

Ah good. So will they recognize they can use level 1 and 2 spells per encounter once they hit the right level?

They don't currently, but they will eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

rope kid posted:

They were resistant but now they are immune (also immune to Burn).
Do we get any long range weapons with blunt damage to compensate for that?

• Locked thread