Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
im permabanned dom4 player kitfox88. i first started playing dominions when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "province defence" and tried to channel it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jon joe posted:

I look forward to seeing how you pilot my nation, ILoveYou. I had to leave this game because of real life stuff demanding my full and immediate attention; everything is sorted out now, but I couldn't play for a very long time and it would have been unfair to other players to pause the game that long.

Hi spoiler I played 1 turn and then my computer got run over by a car and then I got set AI

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Hi spoiler I played 1 turn and then my computer got run over by a car and then I got set AI

None can escape the AI menace. It spreads like plague, and I am its carrier.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I Love You! posted:

This man took Misfortune. Don't make the same mistake, friends.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

jon joe posted:

None can escape the AI menace. It spreads like plague, and I am its carrier.

Going AI is actually good, and right. All players should go AI.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

jBrereton posted:

You don't now.

Here's a working spell from a mod I made:

#newspell
#name "Raise Fomorian Spearmen"
#descr "With this spell, a mage brings three Fomorian Spearman from the dead. Although talented warriors, these troops have lost much of their magic resistance during the passage back to their false life."
#school 0
#restricted 144
#researchlevel 0
#path 0 5
#pathlevel 0 2
#effect 10001
#fatiguecost 300
#damage 3768
#nreff 3
#end

The #damage is the monster number.

Yeah that's (as in, your example) how it worked in 3 so I thought it sounded odd that it would have an extra pointless step.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fool_of_sound posted:

im permabanned dom4 player kitfox88. i first started playing dominions when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "province defence" and tried to channel it constantly.

A good quote.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

I'm pretty sure this is 50% incorrect, but I also haven't written a mod in like 8 months, so what do I know?

My spells stop working if I deviate from this, so it isn't incorrect. There may be other ways that also work, though. :shrug:

For comparison, here are two of my summon spells from my last mod:

#newspell
#name "Summon Sebettu of Water"
#descr "Summons a group of Sebettu from the Blue Tribe. The more powerful the gifted one, the more Sebettu will answer the spell."
#school 0
#researchlevel 1
#path 0 2
#pathlevel 0 1
#effect 10001 6989
#nreff 1005
#fatiguecost 400
#spec 8388608
#restricted 101
#damage -5000
#end

-Summons a group of custom monsters-

#newspell
#name "Summon Galla"
#descr "The caster summons a Galla, a skulking demon from the underworld."
#school 0
#researchlevel 5
#path 0 5
#path 1 4
#pathlevel 0 2
#pathlevel 1 1
#effect 10021 6981
#nreff 1
#fatiguecost 2000
#restricted 101
#restricted 102
#restricted 103
#damage -5008
#end

-Summons a custom commander-

They work, but only when I do it exactly like this (minus stuff like nation-restrictions, of course you can do whatever you want here).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

That's bizarre, the unitid should go in the #damage entry for a summon.

I feel like something weird is going on with your .dm or something.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Feinne posted:

That's bizarre, the unitid should go in the #damage entry for a summon.

I feel like something weird is going on with your .dm or something.

According to some random goon on IRC, my mod has already been played by other people. Strangely enough, the spells work for them, too.

The spell damage is the negative montag-value and the unit-id is added to the #effect-order. For some strange reason I have to tell the game that the spell is a summoning-ritual, what it is supposed to summon, how many things I want and then again what I want summoned with the montag-value. If I change anything, the spell instead summons random garbage.

And I know this works because I had giant headaches trying to force the spells to work before I found this solution. It works and it is plausible according to the manual, so I'm content with it. :colbert:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Libluini posted:

According to some random goon on IRC, my mod has already been played by other people. Strangely enough, the spells work for them, too.

The spell damage is the negative montag-value and the unit-id is added to the #effect-order. For some strange reason I have to tell the game that the spell is a summoning-ritual, what it is supposed to summon, how many things I want and then again what I want summoned with the montag-value. If I change anything, the spell instead summons random garbage.

And I know this works because I had giant headaches trying to force the spells to work before I found this solution. It works and it is plausible according to the manual, so I'm content with it. :colbert:

Oh I feel you on it, it's just strange that it works that way because that's way more convoluted than the dom3 version.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Montag works, sure, but montags are meant as lists of monsters when you want summon spells to pick one from the list at random. For example the demon lords all share a montag.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I could never get #montag to work. Either before, when I was completely retarded, or even now, as a mostly retarde.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Culka posted:

Montag works, sure, but montags are meant as lists of monsters when you want summon spells to pick one from the list at random. For example the demon lords all share a montag.

Yeah, I think it's described that way in the manual, too. The thing is, I actually started with only the unitid, as JBereton demonstrated. And it didn't work. Adding montag-values also didn't work, only after I found out #effect had to use BOTH numbers like in my examples above it started to work. Except for a couple of spells where I had forgotten to add montag-values to the monsters, there it didn't work until I added them in. :v:

Decrepus posted:

I could never get #montag to work. Either before, when I was completely retarded, or even now, as a mostly retarde.

Just copy my spells then and just change the numbers around. Every custom-monster you summon needs a custom montag-value corresponding to the negative damage value.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Libluini posted:

The reason is probably to do with using montag values. Which are only supposed to apply to things like Tartarians and Crossbreeds where you get a random assortment of units who have that specific montag. JBrereton's method is the normal correct one.

EDIT: I AM DENYING YOUR EXPERIENCE

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

The reason is probably to do with using montag values. Which are only supposed to apply to things like Tartarians and Crossbreeds where you get a random assortment of units who have that specific montag. JBrereton's method is the normal correct one.

OK maybe I wasn't blunt enough but it can't be, since it doesn't work. :mad:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

OK maybe I wasn't blunt enough but it can't be, since it doesn't work. :mad:

It does work though. All of my summons use unit id as do most mods I open up. Can just cheat and look at one of theirs to get the proper syntax. When I make a new modded summon I literally just paste one I did before and change the details to fit the new summon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It does work though. All of my summons use unit id as do most mods I open up. Can just cheat and look at one of theirs to get the proper syntax. When I make a new modded summon I literally just paste one I did before and change the details to fit the new summon.

Well OK, it doesn't work for me. And I have working templates now, I just copy them when I make new summons. I hope you can understand I don't want to spend hours experimenting with other people's solutions when my own spells work just fine. :shrug:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Montags were actually broken until recently.

Some other mod commands remain broken afaik, like #reqnotnation in event modding.

But this maybe isn't the proper place to talk about that.

e: PS Libluini I am 90% sure that the problem with your mods is that the #effect should be the first number on its own, followed by #damage of the second one. Maybe it's only reading the first number, and that's why you're having to gently caress about with montags and stuff.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

goddamn :vince:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

TravelLog posted:

Out of curiosity, who would you guys say is the best goon Dom player? What is their strategy/in-game personality like?

Flavahbeast.

Flavahbeast is a monster at many things, but the three I've noticed that define his style are:
1. Finding the exact thing that is powerful in the current patch / modset / game rules and exploiting it in a way that gives him an inescapable advantage even after it can be countered.
2. Macromanagement. His resource use is extremely good and rarely does he waste anything.
3. The right kind of diplomacy to actually win games - pacts with all but one neighbor, somehow despite that being a bad idea for his neighbors, and with minimal effort expended. Very little alliance-building as that tends to strengthen other players.

He is great at everything else, but those three areas mean games where he gains any advantage snowball out of control extremely quickly.

Flavahbeast was by far the winningest Dom3 player ever, even accounting for other sites, and in the time he still played Dom4 continued to dominate games. I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has or ever will surpass him.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

To extend that Flavah was so terrifying to most players that they'd be willing to ally with him even though it was to their eventual detriment because they didn't want to be the guy getting stomped.

Because many people were legit afraid they'd not be able to win even with a coalition. And because more importantly more astute players realized that most likely everyone in your 'coalition' is going to try and expend the minimum effort and let someone else be the guy who gets their game ruined trying to defeat Flavah early.

Basically never rely on anyone ever because most people who will put earnest effort into something like defeating a player who 'has to lose' are either naive as hell and therefore of limited value or are just as dangerous as the person you're trying to dogpile. I myself fell into the 'shitlord you could rely on to drop out at the first setback' category. Mainly because I was VERY sensitive to being 'that guy who is taking most of the casualties'.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 13, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

e: PS Libluini I am 90% sure that the problem with your mods is that the #effect should be the first number on its own, followed by #damage of the second one. Maybe it's only reading the first number, and that's why you're having to gently caress about with montags and stuff.

Uh no, as I said, in some spells I forgot the second number for #effect, and the spells didn't work. Adding in the second number made it work for some reason, so the game definitely reads and needs both numbers. Let's just say that both ways work and get on with the LP, OK?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

This game is currently paused due to some :siren: ~ drama ~ :siren: or something like that. We need to find a sub for Xanrick.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
While we're waiting for the game to resume, I made it easier to browse the terrible nations in this game by adding the mod for this game to the mod inspector. Here is a direct link to the inspector with this mod loaded http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/?mod=Minotaurs_Draft.dm&page=unit&nation=12&unittype=1&unitnat=1. I was also able to fix a few bugs in the inspector with this mod.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

Flavahbeast.

Flavahbeast is a monster at many things, but the three I've noticed that define his style are:
1. Finding the exact thing that is powerful in the current patch / modset / game rules and exploiting it in a way that gives him an inescapable advantage even after it can be countered.
2. Macromanagement. His resource use is extremely good and rarely does he waste anything.
3. The right kind of diplomacy to actually win games - pacts with all but one neighbor, somehow despite that being a bad idea for his neighbors, and with minimal effort expended. Very little alliance-building as that tends to strengthen other players.

He is great at everything else, but those three areas mean games where he gains any advantage snowball out of control extremely quickly.

Flavahbeast was by far the winningest Dom3 player ever, even accounting for other sites, and in the time he still played Dom4 continued to dominate games. I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has or ever will surpass him.

He still leverages an economy better than anyone else I've ever seen.

And yeah diplomatic wizard.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Whoever did the nation with EA Sauromancers goofed, you could have had a whole nation of sacreds if you'd taken the LA ones since they're also priests. Not that there's much of a REASON to but might as well square that circle.

I'm also biased towards LA Sauros because of the unholy allure of banefire.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Feinne posted:

Whoever did the nation with EA Sauromancers goofed, you could have had a whole nation of sacreds if you'd taken the LA ones since they're also priests. Not that there's much of a REASON to but might as well square that circle.

I'm also biased towards LA Sauros because of the unholy allure of banefire.

LAs are 285g instead of 210 and require a temple to make too though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

LAs are 285g instead of 210 and require a temple to make too though.

True. I'm just biased towards them because they are the signature mage of my favorite dom3 nation.

Skeleton chaaaaariots.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ok replacement is in place, game is unpaused, and the lp is back to it's regularly scheduled updates of whenever I yell at baudin on irc.

Also, I'm going to put up a newbie Dominions game here in a few days, so if you want in on it, might start learning the arcane interface now. Join us in #dom4goons on synirc for professional opinions and bad jokes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

fool_of_sound posted:

Also, I'm going to put up a newbie Dominions game here in a few days, so if you want in on it, might start learning the arcane interface now. Join us in #dom4goons on synirc for professional opinions and bad jokes.

I might take you guys up on that, but I tend to flake when RL pressure and other concerns come up.

Also I typically only succeed in getting all of my own mages killed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

fool_of_sound posted:

Ok replacement is in place, game is unpaused, and the lp is back to it's regularly scheduled updates of whenever I yell at baudin on irc.

Earth Snake always the loving Earth Snake.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Does "only having played against the AI before" count as newbie?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Shoeless posted:

Does "only having played against the AI before" count as newbie?

Yes. AI doesn't Diplomance, the most powerful school of magic. Even more so then Blood.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So a while back someone posted saying something to the effect that if people form a coalition, the only people who will actually bother putting effort into it and attacking the player it was formed against are either naive or just as dangerous as the person it was formed against. Could you clarify what you mean by that? Cause I don't see how a group attempt to take down a more powerful player is ever gonna work if everyone just sits on their hands waiting for someone else to do the work. Yes I am the naive person, it is me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Goons tend towards betrayal so goon coalitions almost inevitably fall apart without accomplishing anything as half the people in the coalition rush to stab everyone else in the coalition in the back.

It doesn't always go that way, but it usually does.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Neruz posted:

Goons tend towards betrayal so goon coalitions almost inevitably fall apart without accomplishing anything as half the people in the coalition rush to stab everyone else in the coalition in the back.

It doesn't always go that way, but it usually does.

I have literally never once seen this happen in a game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if someone expends the effort to attack a powerful player then they're either going to become weak from battling said powerful player (and will be subsequently devoured by the other members of the 'coalition') or they're just as good as the powerful player. other members can faff about and do nearly jack poo poo while pretending to be part of the group effort to take down said 'enemy' powerful player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I have literally never once seen this happen in a game.

I've never not seen it happen, congrats we both have different samples I guess.

• Locked thread