Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

Now that you're here, I'll badger you with tech support questions. Will the game work OK for multiplayer if I just open a singleplayer game to LAN? Or should I use the server download?

LAN should be fine I know a lot of testing was done by talonos in lan mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is blightfall supposed to come with a saved world or do I click create new world?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Reason posted:

Is blightfall supposed to come with a saved world or do I click create new world?

We use lockdown- click create new world and a premade world will be generate dfor you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh my loving god, did the guy who does Journymap really loving delete 4.0.5 from his downloads? :psyduck:

I mean, Here is the patch notes for a version called 4.0.5, yet Unless I am very much blind, there is no 4.0.5 version on that list, it only goes to 4.0.4.

Please tell me im cracking up. :psyboom:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

make a botania horn of the canopy

No botania in Blightfall :rip:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Magres posted:

Did they forget the zip or something? they've been talking about blightfall specific mechanics for botania for ages.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Magres posted:

Botania is certainly in blightfall (now)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Dang did my Blightfall not update properly? @botania in NEI shows nothing

E: drat, I didn't realize I needed to force it to update. Oh well!

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 12, 2015

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Omega Virus board game of the year, all years

:v:

You. Have. Five. Minutes. Until. I. Take. Over. Hahahahahaha!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the food box, Captain Shiitake!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Mechanics question - if you turn down your video render range, do those chunks not update? I've never really understood how player loading of chunks works

E: also the new map mod in Blightfall is real drat good

E2: Jesus I just went to the town near Biodome Beta and got two shot by a Tainted Guard :stare:

E3: HAHA SUCKERS STOLE YOUR FOOD :black101:

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 12, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jesus you guys weren't kidding. How big is that file exactly?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I really appreciate this pack justifying not exploiting all resources or building vanilla tools with administrative pride and bureaucracy

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
can someone point out where i can find some promethium under Biodome Alpha or the Shrine so i can start upgrading? Dug like 400 cobble so far with flint and not found any of it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
NEI is crashing to the main menu sometimes in Blightfall. Specifically when I type "stone" into the search bar. Any way to fix? Anyone know whats causing it? It doesn't seem to be crapping out any sort of crash log, unless its not putting it in the normal crash log spot.

Nick Esasky posted:

can someone point out where i can find some promethium under Biodome Alpha or the Shrine so i can start upgrading? Dug like 400 cobble so far with flint and not found any of it.

The very first scout location in the quest book, dig straight down for a while around to a depth of 16 or so. I found a little cave, blocked off the tainted sections and there's a couple veins of promethium in that cave, I think one was behind a coal vein.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 12, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Yeah, IIRC from my first playthrough is that it's mostly under the swamp. That being said, my second playthrough I started at Beta and there's a mineshaft directly beneath it with a decent amount, so if you can survive the trip it's worth considering.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Beta is a way more fun start (and easier) than Alpha imo. Easy ocean access means easy access to most points, and there's a village (that sucks and will murder you) and a town (chock full of wheat and carrots) that will boost your ability to farm food immensely. Just be prepared to have tainted guards crush your butt, I had to kite them in circles to get at their produce after dying horribly when I thought I could take them with a wooden sword and no armor if I was careful.

E: Jesus though the new hungry restrictions are brutal. 250 hunger is like 80 pieces of food

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 12, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when would be a good time to leave the biodome and start exploring? i've been completing the quests that i can without leaving it, but i figure that eventually i'll need to jumpstart my progression by, you know, actually searching for stuff. is it safe to just break a hole in the glass and put in a door? i assume the silverwood will prevent the taint from getting in, but i've never fully messed around with that stuff in all the times i've played with mods.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

when would be a good time to leave the biodome and start exploring? i've been completing the quests that i can without leaving it, but i figure that eventually i'll need to jumpstart my progression by, you know, actually searching for stuff. is it safe to just break a hole in the glass and put in a door? i assume the silverwood will prevent the taint from getting in, but i've never fully messed around with that stuff in all the times i've played with mods.

so far a standard wooden door is keeping the taint at bay for me, however cobblestone most emphatically does not so have some glass ready to patch any holes in the dome you make

basically the first thing you're going to need to explore for is a source of water and clay, but I found some pretty close to the alpha dome

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You can go exploring pretty much whenever. Pretty much the first thing I did was make basic wooden tools, a door, and half a dozen boats, then started sailing around the map grabbing points.

E: Had a weird bug smelting Grout where checking my furnace was causing my game to crash. No hangups, just closed immediately. Not sure if it's a Blightfall thing - I'm guessing not - but thought I'd mention it. Breaking and replacing the furnace fixed it though :shrug:

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 12, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess i was more worried than i needed to be, so i'll definitely see about claiming some more land.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Be worried! Be excited! Scouting missions and being afraid of getting murdered by awful blighted beasties was one of my favorite parts of my playthrough of Blightfall 1

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Nick Esasky posted:

Reason posted:

NEI is crashing to the main menu sometimes in Blightfall. Specifically when I type "stone" into the search bar. Any way to fix? Anyone know whats causing it? It doesn't seem to be crapping out any sort of crash log, unless its not putting it in the normal crash log spot.

The very first scout location in the quest book, dig straight down for a while around to a depth of 16 or so. I found a little cave, blocked off the tainted sections and there's a couple veins of promethium in that cave, I think one was behind a coal vein.

President Ark posted:

Yeah, IIRC from my first playthrough is that it's mostly under the swamp. That being said, my second playthrough I started at Beta and there's a mineshaft directly beneath it with a decent amount, so if you can survive the trip it's worth considering.

Woah woah woah. You're both giving bad advice. Promethium (the green stuff) is found underneath Biodome Alpha between the depths of 20 and 50. So go to Y level 40 or so and start branch mining. There's a book you can requisition from The Instructor that tells you where, and how deep, every mineral of interest is found in Blightfall. If you've already been mining at that level with no luck and you're tired of mining you can find a deposit of Promethium at X=880, Y=45, Z=950 .

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 12, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I cleaned up the swamp island and I'm trying to get a smelter up and some basic farming. Haven't found gently caress all iron though. Started cleaning up one of the bigger islands too but there's a cave on it so keeping it clean is gonna be a hassle until I can tech up to better taint clearing.

Really. Just getting past flint is a pain in the dick but it should be good when I finally.do get past it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you want some easy Iron then head to Biodome Beta, it's in the little cave thing that runs down below it

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Magres posted:

If you want some easy Iron then head to Biodome Beta, it's in the little cave thing that runs down below it

Biodome Alpha also has some easy iron as well as a single relatively easy to find copper ore which lets you requisition the other two ore needed for a pickaxe.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Only thing I ever really lacked at alpha was a good supply of lava that I didn't have to run through tainted poo poo underground for. The only thing that's really that much of a pain to find is platinum, but that's expected to be a pain to find.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I find the easy way to deal with taint is to plop down a pathway of half slabs and stairs if I know I'm going though an area often.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Only thing I ever really lacked at alpha was a good supply of lava that I didn't have to run through tainted poo poo underground for. The only thing that's really that much of a pain to find is platinum, but that's expected to be a pain to find.

I found a small pocket of lava pretty close to alpha at y-level 11 by abusing the gently caress out of the cave mode on the minimap, but there is a small patch of tainted area to waddle through to get to it

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is Blightfall single player or is there a way to run it with friends.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I find the easy way to deal with taint is to plop down a pathway of half slabs and stairs if I know I'm going though an area often.

Oh drat I never thought of that :doh:

goodness posted:

It's fun single player but also has plenty of room for multiplayer - though I wouldn't recommend anything larger than like 15 people on a server. There are six starting locations of varying difficulty, and they have enough space to support about three people a piece.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

goodness posted:

It is extremely multiplayer. Hence the teams!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I discovered that after 3 days pottering in alpha the taint started to come in...

Also i was lucky and had 2 pigs spawn outside the dome and i let them in and now have a pork farm with some carrots i found..

Hint - Directly south from alpha is marble shrine - it has 4 ethereal blooms you can "borrow" to help keep the taint at bay.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The taint will only creep in to the very edges of your dome. Also keep your pigs in a pen that's not at the edges or the taint can kill them and turn them into tainted pigs that will murder all of your regular pigs

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So the tree by itself doesn't keep the taint away? Oh dear.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Reason posted:

So the tree by itself doesn't keep the taint away? Oh dear.

It's not the tree, it's something inside the tree that you'll find out about later. If you don't know what it is, don't mess with the tree until you get the thaumometer which will let you see it.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 12, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The trees in the biodomes all have the special thing that keeps you safe, and natively any of those trees that grow have a chance to have one of the special things in them, but not all of those trees have the special things.

E: vvvv yeah but if you have golems harvest bread and feed it into an AE2 autocrafting system...

and you can have them harvest trees that the AE2 system turns into charcoal to feed into generators to be self-sustaining

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 12, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
"Primitive Bread"? What is this bullsh- oh that recipe isn't so bad. I bet this change is in place so you can't have golems harvesting wheat for completely free reputation. Gotta run it through a furnace!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh nice, the Discover button on the Technic Launcher is now covered in taint too...and obviously leads you to the Blightfall page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo the new Botania quests are hilarious

If you go to the Marble Shrine in the plains you can find some mystical yellow flowers that open up the Botania quest lines and the flavor for them is really funny.