Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Eh... I think TEW deserves whatever scores it got. It was a mess of a game that doesn't really feel cohesive.

Well yeah, I mean the story is loving incomprehensible, and a lot of the levels go on for way too drat long, and of course the performance is atrocious, but the core game is really well designed I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

abagofcheetos posted:

Well yeah, I mean the story is loving incomprehensible, and a lot of the levels go on for way too drat long, and of course the performance is atrocious, but the core game is really well designed I thought.

Funny, because I feel like the core game is pretty poorly designed and I could like a lot of the ideas they came up with if it weren't so unfun to play. I tried the demo (which takes you from I think the opening to the 2nd or 3rd chapter), spent most of my time struggling against the camera, and then near the end of the demo I alerted some enemies and ran into a tiny shack and ended up completely unable to get out because I couldn't knock down enough of the enemies to get past, and that pretty much killed any desire I had to actually buy the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

Funny, because I feel like the core game is pretty poorly designed and I could like a lot of the ideas they came up with if it weren't so unfun to play. I tried the demo (which takes you from I think the opening to the 2nd or 3rd chapter), spent most of my time struggling against the camera, and then near the end of the demo I alerted some enemies and ran into a tiny shack and ended up completely unable to get out because I couldn't knock down enough of the enemies to get past, and that pretty much killed any desire I had to actually buy the game.

The camera FOV ended up getting patched in the released game and I think the demo is based on the unpatched game. But, yeah ammo is really stingy and you're expected to sneak around in the first three chapters or so which I kind of liked but understand it isn't for everyone. Later on the game goes full on action, kind of like RE 4 did but that's where I felt the game kind of dropped the ball myself.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I actually quite enjoyed TEW because, even though the gameplay was probably the weakest part, I thought the atmosphere, world design, and tension more than made up for it. It was the same way in the original REs--no one today would tout the "amazing" gameplay of RE 1, 2, 3, and CV, but everything else about the games is what made them memorable. That's a big part of why RE4 is my favorite, because they kept all the good stuff about the series and made the gameplay fun on top of that, whereas RE5 suffered from the forced co-op stuff and RE6 stripped everything enjoyable about the series while keeping forced co-op and subpar gameplay (which I guess puts me in the minority opinion).

EDIT: Sorry for all the edits, but I've been phone posting for the last few days, and after watching numerous videos of the vaunted RE6 melee system I still don't see how it makes the mess that was RE6 enjoyable. It still seems like 75% of it amounts to "shoot enemy in face to stun them, then run up to them and press melee button, which may or may not have a button prompt show up on screen. Oh, and there are counters too, but that mostly involves pressing said melee button during an enemy's canned attack animation, which may or may not also have a button prompt." What am I missing? Is it really just the silly melee animations that make people love the gameplay?

Funnily enough, I can't remember if I traded RE6 in or not, but if I didn't, I may actually fire it up again to see if it's actually good :v:

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 6, 2015

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:woop:

Oh god i hope they dont gently caress it up.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Nice! Can't wait!

I hope it's up to par with the first REmake. Only time will tell.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
RE2 is perfect. Only REmake levels can do it justice.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

kind of sad that Kamiya already confirmed he would rather "play it as a consumer" and experience it as a new thing but it's just an HD remake so whatever. The real kicker will be if they decide to update any of it to RE4 or anything or keep it as is. I'm thinking it stays the same, and since the N64 port already had "non tank" controls I'm betting this will too.

HD Tofu incoming.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm super curious if it's going to be REmake style or more like the recent games.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

I'm super curious if it's going to be REmake style or more like the recent games.

Really hope it's ReMake style, with fixed camera angles, no aiming beyond 'up' and 'down' and baffling puzzles that have no logical reason to be in a police station.

If we're wishlisting, I hope the zapping system gets developed a bit more, I liked the few points in the original where you had to decide to take something or leave it for the 2nd scenario player or had to do something in S1 that'd affect S2 (like the handprint door or turning on the BOW gas to make S1 plants weaker but then they become poison in S2). Love to see a few more of those kinds of situations.

Also, a few moments deliberately designed to mess with the expectations of people who played the original, like the dog jumping through the front door in ReMake or delaying the famous 'Dog through the hallway window' jumpscare.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's something they'll have to consider because REmake style is more faithful to the original game, but modern controls minus silly action martial arts might be truer to the feel of the game. It really depends on which other mechanics they want to put in the game, for example if they decide to make Raccoon City seem like it is completely swarmed by the infected and constantly trying to break into the RPD, taking a page out of Dead Rising at least as the quantity of zombies on screen goes then a more actiony control scheme would work best. If they want to stick with similar numbers of enemies as the original RE 2 and just switch things around such as Mr. X appearing in places you least expect or new puzzles then they'd be as well sticking with REmake controls.

Basically the controls should fit their vision of the game.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 12, 2015

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Golden Goat posted:

Oh god i hope they dont gently caress it up.

The fact that guy is wearing a shirt reading "We do it!" does not bode well

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Crashbee posted:

I disagree, I think this is s very good sign.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it's obviously going to be REmake style that dude is the guy responsible for getting REmaster to even exist alongside the zero remaster
+ he was a team member on both of those games which i guess is something

Sheen Sheen posted:

What am I missing? Is it really just the silly melee animations that make people love the gameplay?
yeah man you figured it out
by stating it a fourth time you've finally unveiled the secret of the praise for RE6's gameplay

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's something they'll have to consider because REmake style is more faithful to the original game, but modern controls minus silly action martial arts might be truer to the feel of the game. It really depends on which other mechanics they want to put in the game, for example if they decide to make Raccoon City seem like it is completely swarmed by the infected and constantly trying to break into the RPD, taking a page out of Dead Rising at least as the quantity of zombies on screen goes then a more actiony control scheme would work best. If they want to stick with similar numbers of enemies as the original RE 2 and just switch things around such as Mr. X appearing in places you least expect or new puzzles then they'd be as well sticking with REmake controls.

Basically the controls should fit their vision of the game.
The remake should be an action role-playing third person shooter where you can recruit various members of the R.P.D and the civilians they're protecting in your struggle to survive.

Crashbee posted:

You don't have to be a master of grammering to make a great game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I am imagining RE2 done in a way similar to Lost in Nightmares from RE5, so you can have modern controls (and similar melee mechanics as well) and keep the fixed camera as well :)

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Aces High posted:

I am imagining RE2 done in a way similar to Lost in Nightmares from RE5, so you can have modern controls (and similar melee mechanics as well) and keep the fixed camera as well :)

If there's gonna be co-op, I'd rather it be Outbreak-style than RE5-style. They could make a very interesting experience if one player played Leon and the other Claire.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Crashbee posted:

English is hard.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Crashbee posted:

Please take your battitude somewhere else. Thanks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

If there's gonna be co-op, I'd rather it be Outbreak-style than RE5-style. They could make a very interesting experience if one player played Leon and the other Claire.
The co-op partners would obviously be Leon + Ada and Claire + Sherry. Sherry's gimmick would be that the longer you're around Claire, the more monsters you attract, so the optimal play is to run off/fall down a hole as often as possible, only sticking around Claire if she absolutely has to defend you and to hand over the loot you've found.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

therealjon_ posted:

I disagree, I think this is s very good sign.

i was about to say the same thing, that is actually the BEST sign

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sherry's gimmick would be that the longer you're around Claire, the more monsters you attract, so the optimal play is to run off/fall down a hole as often as possible, only sticking around Claire if she absolutely has to defend you and to hand over the loot you've found.

I will take this over Sherry's AI from RE2 where you can't run too fast or she will stop following you and curl up into a ball

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Aces High posted:

I will take this over Sherry's AI from RE2 where you can't run too fast or she will stop following you and curl up into a ball

REmake Sherry curls into a ball and spindashes after you

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Won't hold my breath on it being good but I hope I am wrong.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

"We Do It!" Capcom R&D guy is the cutest thing ever, I want to hug him.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Agreed, he sounds like a massively overenthused dork. Which I approve of wholeheartedly.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm surprised at how low key this announcement is. Like they get one guy in a room with a WE DO IT shirt and they are delivering their updates via Facebook? Not something you see a lot of game devs do, especially ones as big as Capcom. I guess they are more focused on Zero's remake first and foremost?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
They've been going very grass-roots lately, which isn't a terrible idea.

Cynically, it probably makes sense to make themselves look like they're closer to the ground after the RE6 backlash. They're also putting a lot into the fighting-game community as part of the run-up to SF5. Conversely, this is only going to play into the illusions of consumers who think they have more of a say in Capcom's day-to-day than they do.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

therealjon_ posted:

"We Do It!" Capcom R&D guy is the cutest thing ever, I want to hug him.

That would be a killer shirt if on the back there's "this is how".

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wanderer posted:

They've been going very grass-roots lately, which isn't a terrible idea.

Cynically, it probably makes sense to make themselves look like they're closer to the ground after the RE6 backlash. They're also putting a lot into the fighting-game community as part of the run-up to SF5. Conversely, this is only going to play into the illusions of consumers who think they have more of a say in Capcom's day-to-day than they do.

I mean, it's definitely partially PR, sure, but I'll take it any day over what Konami is doing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The co-op partners would obviously be Leon + Ada and Claire + Sherry. Sherry's gimmick would be that the longer you're around Claire, the more monsters you attract, so the optimal play is to run off/fall down a hole as often as possible, only sticking around Claire if she absolutely has to defend you and to hand over the loot you've found.
Alternately, Sherry takes notes from Natalia and becomes a master of brick throwing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Alternately, Sherry takes notes from Natalia and becomes a master of brick art throwing.
The game does take place in a former art museum.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
2 is my favorite game in the series after 4 so yeah, definitely looking forward to this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always liked to think of the Parasite Eve games as unofficial Sherry Birkin: The Game games. I mean, you're a blonde with genetic superpowers blowing up horrible mutants. Parasite Eve 2 was an even better Resident Evil game than a lot of Resident Evil games; the flavor text on everything was amazing and the intimate amount of detail that went into the environments was superb.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

I always liked to think of the Parasite Eve games as unofficial Sherry Birkin: The Game games. I mean, you're a blonde with genetic superpowers blowing up horrible mutants. Parasite Eve 2 was an even better Resident Evil game than a lot of Resident Evil games; the flavor text on everything was amazing and the intimate amount of detail that went into the environments was superb.

This is very very true.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

2 is my favorite game in the series after 4 so yeah, definitely looking forward to this.

Same here! I've been playing through RE2 on the GC recently and it's dated way better than I would have thought, but a proper remake will be really cool for people who never played it back in the 90s.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Speedball posted:

Compared to the original Parasite Eve I didn't have as much fun with PE2, but it was pretty cool to shoot fireballs at mutants in an RE-esque clone

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Speedball posted:

If you put aside the terrible, terrible combat mechanics where every enemy takes about 3 magazines to the face to go down, yes. (You know you're in for a rough night when you can buy a M4 carbine and about 30 magazines worth of ammo within the first hour of gameplay) Luckily there's Dino Crisis 2 if you want to kill ridiculous numbers of enemies in lovely pre-rendered background, so it's cool.

Both of these games have plots even dumber than any RE though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1st AD posted:

Compared to the original Parasite Eve I didn't have as much fun with PE2, but it was pretty cool to shoot fireballs at mutants in an RE-esque clone

I recall liking the mechanics of 2 better for some reason I just can't recall. I think it was the combat being more real time or something different with it vs 1 (I think it may have also being the lack of random battles). I haven't played it for a few years though so I can't remember for the life of me.

I always remember being struck at how odd it was that there was no VA work.