Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

9/18 - Tonight, Friday, is the Simulwatch finale viewing of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya at the special late start of 9PM EST!

------------------

9/11 is the Endless Eight marathon at a SPECIAL TIME

9PM EST

We will be watching all 8 parts of the Endless Eight all in one sitting tomorrow evening.

------------------

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is an anime series based on a light novel series comprised of two seasons (2006, 2009) and a film (2011). It's from Kyoto Animation, and as always the production is gorgeous and Haruhi is one of my all time favorites. It's my go-to show for proving to normies that anime can be better than Dragonball Z. There are also mangas and ONAs and other spinoff stuff that I've never watched because I only care about the show.

Haruhi is an equal parts comedic and dramatic romantic series with an extremely unique integration of sci-fi elements in its structure, plot and editing style. The second season gave people mental breakdowns when it aired due to the now infamous Endless Eight series which is probably the most fascinating pop culture product broadcast in recent decades.

When to Watch

We can settle on whatever works for people but I'm hoping for two episodes a night on the days we watch...maybe M/W/F like the Diebuster simul, those are good days. I'd also like to start next week if possible, next Monday. The show used to be available on Crunchyroll but Funimation recently acquired the U.S. rights so your only legal options are extremely expensive OOP box sets from 8 years ago. Very easy to find on the usual torrent sites though.

In Training posted:

8/17 - Episodes 1 and 2
8/19 - Episodes 3 and 4
8/21 - Episodes 5 and 6
8/24 - Episodes 7 and 8
8/26 - Episodes 9 and 10
8/28 - Episodes 11 and 12
8/31 - Episodes 13 and 14
9/2 - Episode 15, Break
9/11 - Endless Eight Marathon
9/XX - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
9/XX - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Order

The most important thing to know about Haruhi is the PROPER VIEWING ORDER, which is called BROADCAST ORDER. If you haven't seen the show before make sure whatever version you acquire is in the proper order. The second season was a rebroadcast of Season 1 with shuffled episode order and new episodes interspersed throughout. You will want to avoid downloads that don't separate out the seasons and simply have episodes 1 through 26 or whatever. The movie is to be watched after the show. The strangeness of this will all make sense after a few episodes.

Namtab posted:

If you've got a set that presents series 1 and 2 in the 2009 broadcast order (i.e. chronological season 1, with season 2 eps put in where they would fit in chronologically) then the correct episode order is:

The movie

If you own the two seasons as seperate box sets then season 1 may be presented in chronological order as opposed to broadcast order. The order then would be

SEASON 1 DVDS

SEASON 2 WOULD BE IN THE CORRECT ORDER

Also, we can talk details more later, but I would like to do something special for The Endless Eight viewing.

I watch Haruhi pretty much annually and it was the first anime TV show I ever watched. I love it soooo much. Haters are welcome to post their grievances too because in the years intervening some people have soured on the show (or were always sour) and I'm curious to hear different thoughts and opinions. Enjoy the show all.

Credit to Linnaeus and Zas for posting a shitload of Haruhi screenshots in the Screenshot thread that I used here, and I expect loads more to arrive because the show looks fantastic.

In Training fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Alright, I've been looking for an excuse to re-watch the show. This should be fun!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ever since that lame spinoff started I had been thinking about how I'd rather just revisit the original, so I'm real glad of this happening.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just started watching the show, but I'll rewatch what I've seen to join in on this. It's waaaaay more bizarre than I ever expected, and I kinda dig that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I think I'll join in on this simulwatch. I've been meaning to watch this show but have never gotten around to it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I was actually gonna start watching this a couple weeks ago but put it aside once I found out you were planning a simul. So needless to say I'm looking forward to it, thanks.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ive never watched this and still probably wont

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

ive never watched this and still probably wont

That's a shame. It's a great show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Hell, it'll be worth rewatching what I've seen for The Adventures of Misuru Asahina.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The worst Haruhi.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, original Haruhi 2006 and then the new 2009 episodes in the order they came out? Fairly sure that's how my DVD sets are laid out.

In Training posted:

There are also mangas and ONAs and other spinoff stuff that I've never watched because I only care about the show.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya-chan is pretty funny, if you were to watch one of them. You can find subs on youtube even.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 12, 2015

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

littleorv posted:

I think I'll join in on this simulwatch. I've been meaning to watch this show but have never gotten around to it.

Pretty much the same with me. As for the previous simulwatch, I didn't rewatch Diebuster since it's been two years when I got around to watching it. Sorry Srice.
Anyway, I knew about Endless Eight through osmosis and all.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Finally, a simulwatch I can get behind

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

idk much about simulwatches though, and hope that my friend in training accounts for the time difference because I don't want to have to react to anims at 2AM

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

So, original Haruhi 2006 and then the new 2009 episodes in the order they came out? Fairly sure that's how my DVD sets are laid out.

The DVD might not be in the right order, unless you picked up the limited edition sets, if I remember correctly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

maybeflan posted:

Pretty much the same with me. As for the previous simulwatch, I didn't rewatch Diebuster since it's been two years since I got to watch it. Sorry Srice.
Anyway, I knew about Endless Eight through osmosis and all.

I forgive you, since you're going to watch Haruhi :toot:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Namtab posted:

idk much about simulwatches though, and hope that my friend in training accounts for the time difference because I don't want to have to react to anims at 2AM

As a NEET for another month 2AM is the ideal time for me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You're in broadcast order if The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 is episode 1, you're in the objectively incorrect order if The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part One is the first ep you watch.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

As a NEET for another month 2AM is the ideal time for me.

I'm a nurse so I don't have that luxury :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched most of the previous simulwatches before they actually began and then just posted a big spoiler block

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Completely coincidentally, I rewatched all of Haruhi in one giant go immediately after the Diebuster simulwatch, but I'm looking forward to following the progress of this thread, to see a) how people's opinion of the show has changed, and b) how people who weren't around for the 2006 hype view it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

i watched most of the previous simulwatches before they actually began and then just posted a big spoiler block

This is how our friends overseas have gotten by

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Never watched Haruhi, so I guess I'll jump in, shore up my nerd cred. Simulwatches are fun and I haven't done one in a while.

M/W/F in the evening, central US time would be my ideal.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

This is how our friends overseas have gotten by

My good reactions deserve more than mere spoiler blocks and I demand you accommodate me

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I am fine with any time and any day

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Srice posted:

Ever since that lame spinoff started I had been thinking about how I'd rather just revisit the original, so I'm real glad of this happening.

You should rewatch Haruhi-chan, the good spinoff

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Allarion posted:

The DVD might not be in the right order, unless you picked up the limited edition sets, if I remember correctly.
Yeah it has the broadcast order. I remember there was a big kerfuffle when it got licensed because the Japanese DVDs were in chronological order for some reason.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
My anime confession: I've only watched Haruhi in chronological order because I was a dumb kid. Maybe it's finally time to fix that.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I will participate and maybe I will finally watch Disappearance

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The chronological final episode of Haruhi kind of seems like an anticlimactic way to finish the series, tbh

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Parallax posted:

I will participate and maybe I will finally watch Disappearance

That shouldn't be maybe.... it's one of the greatest anime movies of all time

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

That shouldn't be maybe.... it's one of the greatest anime movies of all time

Disappearance is definitely the best of Haruhi.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Normie here. I've always held the OP as someone who has good taste, but when I see stuff about this anime it just looks like another high school girls anime, which never really interested me. People just say "its good" and that its a comedy with some drama in it, but I don't actually know what it's about. Am I missing something, or is it just what it is?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Watch the simulwatch and find out for yourself

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is just a suggestion: but maybe try watching it to see why you are wrong

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mabels big day posted:

Normie here. I've always held the OP as someone who has good taste, but when I see stuff about this anime it just looks like another high school girls anime, which never really interested me. People just say "its good" and that its a comedy with some drama in it, but I don't actually know what it's about. Am I missing something, or is it just what it is?

I thought this too a few days ago. Speaking in past tense here.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

xpost from reddit

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

.jpg posted:

xpost from reddit

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008