Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ponytails are powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Normie here. I've always held the OP as someone who has good taste, but when I see stuff about this anime it just looks like another high school girls anime, which never really interested me. People just say "its good" and that its a comedy with some drama in it, but I don't actually know what it's about. Am I missing something, or is it just what it is?

That expectation is exactly why it's interesting, since it very much becomes not that at all in approximately 5 minutes of the first episode. It toys with harem/high school conventions in interesting ways. I'd say give at least the first four episodes a shot if you're curious.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

That girl is cute so I am sure the show is very good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Haruhi is about love and growing up. It's also about editing, and writing a serialized television series.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I believe you~

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i watched the first season of Haruhi in 2007, solely based on the OP, when i was still an anime baby. liked it at the time but definitely wasn't at a point to really appreciate it (this was the same time i watched Naruto, ZnT, Shana) and later figured it just fell into the same category of those "good when you don't know better" shows.

tl;dr i'm incredibly glad for this simulwatch, because i'm ready to experience Haruhi properly and the vague pressure of a schedule helps me not throw things in my backlog

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I'm going to watch the full intro and outro every episode. I might even.... turn up the volume :c00l:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

I'm going to watch the full intro and outro every episode. I might even.... turn up the volume :c00l:

Shame about the S2 ED, since everything else is straight fire.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

That's the only one I don't remember

Everything else owns

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm not even going to spoil myself on the OPs and EDs

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

littleorv posted:

Whoops

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

littleorv posted:

The S1 ED is incredible, you're in for a treat

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Haruhi is a good show and my first anime so I will watch this

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

.jpg posted:

xpost from reddit

I was going to take part in this anyway, but this makes me feel morally obligated to. :911:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Holy poo poo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

.jpg posted:

xpost from reddit

lmao

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Lol

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

.jpg posted:

xpost from reddit

good

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

go od,

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this....is true power!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Goddamn, we don't even start watching for at least five days and the thread has already justified its own existence.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
.jpg bringin' his A game.

Looking forward to busting out my :siren:LIMITED EDITION FIRST SEASON DVDS:siren: for the simulwatch. I haven't watched it since the second season came out, so I'm excited. Past_Cantaloupe had infamously bad taste, so, as folks have said, it'll be interesting to see if my love for the series survives.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

.jpg bringin' his A game.

Looking forward to busting out my :siren:LIMITED EDITION FIRST SEASON DVDS:siren: for the simulwatch. I haven't watched it since the second season came out, so I'm excited. Past_Cantaloupe had infamously bad taste, so, as folks have said, it'll be interesting to see if my love for the series survives.

Nice. Would love to see some pics of that bad boy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't even include my favorite screen grab in the OP :doh:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

My anime confession: I've only watched Haruhi in chronological order because I was a dumb kid. Maybe it's finally time to fix that.

My hosed up opinion: the broadcast order was a clever way to make it feel like the series was building up to something when it was just the first season but isn't really important, especially now that you can end on disappearance.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Boradcast order, fyi

"The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part One"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Two"

"The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Three"

"Remote Island Syndrome (Part One)"

"Mystérique Sign"

"Remote Island Syndrome (Part Two)"

"Someday in the Rain"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Four"

"The Day of Sagittarius"

"Live Alive"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Five"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Six"

"Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody"

"Endless Eight"

"Endless Eight"

"Endless Eight"

"Endless Eight"

"Endless Eight"

"Endless Eight"

"Endless Eight"

"Endless Eight"

"The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part One"

"The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Two"

"The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Three"

"The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Four"

"The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Five"

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (aka the movie)

Namtab fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 13, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But yea I'm super excited about this Haruhi rules.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endless eight should be tagged as season 2 - eps 02-09, not haruhi eps 12-19

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

Boradcast order, fyi

"The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part One"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Two"

"The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Three"

"Remote Island Syndrome (Part One)"

"Mystérique Sign"

"Remote Island Syndrome (Part Two)"

"Someday in the Rain"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Four"

"The Day of Sagittarius"

"Live Alive"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Five"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Six"

Season 2

Then the movie

Wednesday is gonna be epic for the newcomers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

My hosed up opinion: the broadcast order was a clever way to make it feel like the series was building up to something when it was just the first season but isn't really important, especially now that you can end on disappearance.

I disagree, but I'll wait before I elaborate so I can work from a fresh viewing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I edited my post

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I watched season one, but I was too apathetic to bother with season two, so maybe I'll jump in for that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you've got a set that presents series 1 and 2 in the 2009 broadcast order (i.e. chronological season 1, with season 2 eps put in where they would fit in chronologically) then the correct episode order is:

The movie

If you own the two seasons as seperate box sets then season 1 may be presented in chronological order as opposed to broadcast order. The order then would be

SEASON 1 DVDS

SEASON 2 WOULD BE IN THE CORRECT ORDER

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hope this makes it easy for all to watch this show in the proper order

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

In Training posted:

Haters are welcome to post their grievances too because in the years intervening some people have soured on the show (or were always sour) and I'm curious to hear different thoughts and opinions.

Don't mind if I do.

I feel like Haruhi is a series that survives off gimmicks and nostalgia. Your OP mentioning that it's the first TV anime you ever watched and your go-to "there's more than just DBZ to this anime thing, trust me" series is pretty telling.

Instead of having a show that's actually like, interesting and has stuff happen, they just have the gimmick of the different episode orders so the show appears to have more going on than it actually does, overly animated fight scenes that don't matter but sure look neat and really catchy theme songs so the show can spread memetically (edits of hare hare yukai or whatever comprised about half of nico nico in 2006). Combine this with it also being, as is your case, a lot of peoples first anime series that wasn't about punching things or a guy not having sex with various ladies and it gets put on a real pedestal of nostalgia that I simply don't feel it deserves unless you've only seen five series that didn't air on toonami (or your local equivalent, for the international readers out there).

Maybe the first season just sucks, and the later stuff is actually good because things happen and the characters stop being one dimensional (and even worse, totally unlikable) so there's any reason to give a poo poo on a level beyond the visuals and the voice acting being Pretty Good. But what I saw didn't impress me and gave me no reason to continue (endless eight sounds pretty awesome, I'll give 'em that).

Regardless, for those of you that DO enjoy this anime you have my blessing to continue liking things. God bless and namaste haruhi havers.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Thinking about it the only kyoto animation series I liked was full metal panic so maybe my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I would like you to watch this with us, so we can have a conversation about anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also watch k-on

• Locked thread