Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The last scene in the last episode had me in tears. I think this is my new favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Grem posted:

Yea but I haven't seen anything to show that the ending will mret my standards so I'm just gonna quit watching.

I've seen Lost.

I hope you're making fun of the other goon that said something similar earlier in the thread and not actually this ridiculous.

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's always interesting to hear how far in advance showrunners plan content. Excluding shows like GoT, where up until now the major story events were already known, the most extreme contrast I can think of is Breaking Bad. IIRC, the showrunner stated at some point during S3 or S4 that while S3 was heavily planned out before they started shooting, S2 was the opposite with almost no planning week to week. Yes, they changed course during S3 when they realized one major plot point wasn't coming together the way they wanted - but as a good showrunner you have to be able to recognize it and move forward.

I'm hoping that Sam Esmail has several seasons worth of loose plot points to follow but he doesn't try to tighten it up too much, too early. Over the next few years we're bound to see new hacks, new technology, new methods of intrusion and it'd be cool if they used that to keep the show more relevant.

Certain types of shows seem to go better when the writers have some kind of ending destination in mind and stick to it without adding a ton of filler just to create more seasons. The bits in the middle or the ways the characters get to said end can vary or change, but writers with no idea what the gently caress beyond a pilot and/or one season lead to shows like Under the Dome and Sleepy Hollow.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

violetdragon posted:

I hope you're making fun of the other goon that said something similar earlier in the thread and not actually this ridiculous.

Certain types of shows seem to go better when the writers have some kind of ending destination in mind and stick to it without adding a ton of filler just to create more seasons. The bits in the middle or the ways the characters get to said end can vary or change, but writers with no idea what the gently caress beyond a pilot and/or one season lead to shows like Under the Dome and Sleepy Hollow.

Having a general end goal is great, but planning out 5-6 seasons in advance is a challenge because what happens if the show's ratings tank in season 2, and they get an abridged 3rd season to wrap it up? I said something similar about TWD showrunner saying he had material for at least 10 seasons - there aren't a lot of shows that make 10 seasons, and while TWD is definitely a contender, having an exit is always better than pulling a Deadwood.

I think we're generally agreeing - having long term goals is a good thing, having season specific goals is a good thing as you progress through the lifespan of the show, the hard part is corralling the writers into not locking out plotlines while achieving those goals each season so you can actually get to the finale.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm actually shocked at how good this show is. I don't know what I expected but it's really really good.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
Bohren und der Club of Gore during the evil corp promotion party. Weird, awesome.

Good show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

am0kgonzo posted:

Bohren und der Club of Gore during the evil corp promotion party. Weird, awesome.

Good show.

THATS what that was!! Gah it's been on the tip of my tongue since I saw that episode.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I hope we find out that Evil Corp purchased Veridian Dynamics several years ago.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I hope we find out that Evil Corp purchased Veridian Dynamics several years ago.

Maybe they will finally have weaponized pumpkins.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

gently caress, sorry. Wrong thread.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 11, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Uh

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

:ninja:
Nothing to see here.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 11, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yep, I got too many tabs. Sorry! That said, TheAngryDrunk can you please delete that quote so I don't spoil anyone in here who maybe wanted to watch that show later?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh man the supposed plot leak sounds really cool

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just catching up and holy poo poo was not expecting that roof top scene. Wow , I really think this a brilliant show, first I know nothing about computers really and all the computer stuff to me seems pretty realistic and not fake, the acting is incredible, and just ugh. Sooooo good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 11, 2015

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

steakmancer posted:

Oh man the supposed plot leak sounds really cool

I haven't heard about a plot leak. Can you post a link, so people who don't want to be spoiled don't have to read it, but people like me who are interested can take a look?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Max Hammer posted:

I haven't heard about a plot leak. Can you post a link, so people who don't want to be spoiled don't have to read it, but people like me who are interested can take a look?

Make sure the url doesn't have one of those stupid "mr-robot-plot-leak-elliot-kills-angela-with-a-powerbrick"

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Make sure the url doesn't have one of those stupid "mr-robot-plot-leak-elliot-kills-angela-with-a-powerbrick"

Oh, you've read it.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Make sure the url doesn't have one of those stupid "mr-robot-plot-leak-elliot-kills-angela-with-a-powdered-lick"

:ohdear:

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Make sure the url doesn't have one of those stupid "mr-robot-plot-leak-elliot-kills-angela-with-point-and-click"

:techno:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Max Hammer posted:

It's on /r/mrrobot if you want it, however the plot leak sounds fake as hell and came from an untrustworthy source

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I absolutely love this show and am sad my Dad thought it sounded like "Matthew McConaughey on Vicodin".

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Really expecting Mrs. Wellick to be White Rose tomorrow, and that Eliot will end up joining EvilCorp in some way through some Tyrell manipulation and for the fsociety cause

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Gideon being white rose would be awesome.

Also Michael Shannon should be Elliot's dad.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

steakmancer posted:

Really expecting Mrs. Wellick to be White Rose tomorrow, and that Eliot will end up joining EvilCorp in some way through some Tyrell manipulation and for the fsociety cause

I predict the reverse of this. Wellick will find out about fsociety, and then team up with Elliot so that the new CTO cops the wrath of fsociety's actions.

EvilCorp is only partially destroyed, and Wellick manipulates the board into firing the CTO and installing him in the CTO's place. Same way that the first guy went down.

Instead of outing FSociety and his connection, Wellick will use them as his own private army to rattle EvilCorp as he climbs the ladder further and further up the chain.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

adrenaline_junket posted:

I predict the reverse of this. Wellick will find out about fsociety, and then team up with Elliot so that the new CTO cops the wrath of fsociety's actions.

EvilCorp is only partially destroyed, and Wellick manipulates the board into firing the CTO and installing him in the CTO's place. Same way that the first guy went down.

Instead of outing FSociety and his connection, Wellick will use them as his own private army to rattle EvilCorp as he climbs the ladder further and further up the chain.

You know, I kind of thought this was a possibility. Wellick knows Elliot framed the previous CTO (whats-his-name), so maybe he will use Elliot to destroy the new CTO. But where does it go from there? At some point Wellick will want FSociety out of the way. Then what?

It's an interesting plot theory, I'm with you on this one.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

He chokes the life out of every single one of them, Slater included.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My mom apparently hated the conversation between Trenton and Darlene last week, and doesn't know why Trenton was complaining about her parents having lovely jobs. "She should be grateful her parents have opportunity here! Your grandfather worked 60 hours a week and he didn't complain!" :cripes:

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
"The world is full of stupid people and I get paid a lot to be smart."

*Combination to safe in plain view*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of a weird use of BD Wong.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Haha WHAT

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well that scene at the beginning of the episode makes more sense.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
I don't care if they confirmed everything we already knew, this show is still so good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've got questions.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
drat the leak was right

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Ghost Dad we totally called, but I don't think anybody predicted SisDarlene. :stare:

Even knowing what it probably was in advance, that did nothing to change how loving boss the execution was. And you want to know the real mindfuck?

We still don't know if Mr. Robot is real.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Daddy Robot and the Family Society.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steakmancer posted:

drat the leak was right

What was it? Father or sister? And we can now tell its a modern drama because incest made its way in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So there's basically two options here:
Mr. Robot is actually Elliot and he's just projecting his father's image
Mr. Robot is actually Elliot's father and he faked his own death playing on Elliot's mental issues to kind of just swoop in and as long as he didn't say anything Elliot wouldn't realize what was going on.

I'm kind of leaning toward the second as he is noticeably older than in the pictures, which would be an odd detail for a crazy person to come up with.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

What was it? Father or sister? And we can now tell its a modern drama because incest made its way in.

Essentially Eliot's dad never died and turned Eliot into an autistic hacking machine with some good old-fashioned familiar neglect

They didn't say anything about the Darlene issue tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 13, 2015

• Locked thread