Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Lone Badger posted:

7) Vehicle. Crashing a car into the wall at decent speed can often create a handy opening.

My go-to for opening up gun stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

You'll often need a hacksaw to remove the bars and get to the console.
You also forgot
7) Vehicle. Crashing a car into the wall at decent speed can often create a handy opening.

Can a vehicle bash through a vault's metal walls? And drat can a hacksaw really get through grates? I've been getting to the console by sledgehammering through bank walls instead.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
In the continuing adventures of 'holy gently caress why are there so many special zombies', I just killed six hulks all camping in the same house.

E: Now having to defend the pile of corpses from an endless stream of Zombie Necromancers, I just killed number four and there's at least one more that I can see.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 11, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

In the continuing adventures of 'holy gently caress why are there so many special zombies', I just killed six hulks all camping in the same house.

E: Now having to defend the pile of corpses from an endless stream of Zombie Necromancers, I just killed number four and there's at least one more that I can see.

I really don't like how the game prioritizes zombie necromancers last when it picks targets to (f)ire at.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
look at these puny sub 20 strength character players that can't get into non-metal buildings with simple tools.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Shady Amish Terror posted:

There are so many specials in the current dev builds because the default setting for zombies evolution is set to one day, that means they have a 50% chance to evolve every single day. That will run away from you very quickly indeed and it's kinda insane, i toned it down to 4 in my current game and it's a lot more reasonable.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Kafouille posted:

There are so many specials in the current dev builds because the default setting for zombies evolution is set to one day, that means they have a 50% chance to evolve every single day. That will run away from you very quickly indeed and it's kinda insane, i toned it down to 4 in my current game and it's a lot more reasonable.

Jesus Christ why

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kafouille posted:

gently caress, I indirectly noticed this, I didn't do anything except run from zombies and evade them (hurray night vision) for the first season or two, and now its an ~event~ when I see a zombie that doesn't have a modifier of some kind.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Kafouille posted:

I had noticed that setting and had no idea how it worked, the wording is kind of obtuse. Yeah, that really does explain a lot. My character is at the ridiculous 'murder all things with a broadsword while listening to MP3's non-stop' stage of development, and is no longer as bothered by it, but I am a little surprised I made it to that point while wading through so many specials.

As an aside, Hulks are no longer TOO much of a threat to this character, but there is a tag-team of zombies that is still completely absurd and potentially lethal; Grabber Zombies (and Grappler Zombies), and the entire acidic zombie line. Something is really fucky with the grab/knockdown mechanics and if you happen to be in a pool of acid when these things happen your pain can skyrocket in a single turn even if you're armored enough to mostly shrug off the attacks. Once it went all the way to triple digits, crippling me; I think I may have just save-scummed there, which I have no regrets about after losing two characters just to the lighting system going haywire.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

It's really bothering me that guns seem really underpowered. I remember in the much older versions (I think I started playing right around 0.6 or 0.7) that a pistol backup was an essential weapon. In 0.c why do I do ~50 damage on a hit with a wooden katana but a .44 magnum only does ~40? And the dispersion is so bad on the .44 magnum that I basically have to be shooting at point blank anyway. Pistols seem to have just-more-than melee range with limited ammo and less damage than a good melee weapon. I have almost 0 "confidence" accuracy at 6 tiles with a SW 629. Trying to carry a gun to take out the serious ranged threats of spitters and shockers is just futile because guns have such poor accuracy at range that they get into spitting/lightning range before you can shoot them to death anyway. Melee is just so much better- my current character has 20 in melee and only 10 in marksmanship despite the fact I always carry guns. Melee now feels as overpowered as archery used to be.

I'm thinking about making a mod to seriously buff firearms- going through and reducing dispersion, increasing range for all weapon and ammunition types. If I finish it I'll throw up a download link.

Bilal fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 12, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That is one of the quirks of the game's design. For what it's worth, archery is STILL overpowered, especially compared to guns. Not all guns are bad in Cataclysm, either; long rifles are often serviceable for picking things off at a distance, and shotguns and grenade launchers can absolutely wreck faces. Handguns, however, are and for a long time have been really, really weak; typically the only things worth using that use the handguns skill are pocket shotguns.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Handguns got adjusted some in recent experimentals. 9mm ammo was buffed, .45 was nerfed, and .454 and .500 hit like drat trucks now. But honestly I never use the handguns skill for handcannons. It's either for lightweight bootleg SMGs (L39B series, RM232) or the short shotgun. Which is the bestest pistol. The L39B and L39B-45 are good ways to make use of super common ammo and carry a portable solution for downing manhacks etc.

The main appeal of firearms is being able to pile on the torso encumbrance for carrying capacity. The secret appeal of firearms is the high high action speed at high skill levels. Pistols bottom out at 10 time units per shot at skill 7+, which means you can empty an L39B's 21 round clip in less than the time it takes to throw two punches. SMGs bottom out at 20 speed, rifles at 30, shotguns at 70, and archery at 20 + reload time since you gotta load the thing every dang shot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay so those who play around with experimentals a lot: Are worlds transferrable between builds, or do you just roll new ones each time?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

99% of the time yes. 1% of the time something goes horribly wrong.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Artificer posted:

Jesus Christ why

That doesn't sound intentional, more like something someone left in for testing purposes to me. Worth reporting in their issues tracker.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Okay, so this went a lot quicker than I thought it would. I think around 2 hours.

This mod drastically increases the effectiveness of all conventional firearms (doesn't include homemade, pneumatic, energy, explosives, etc). In most cases weapon dispersion is reduced by 90% if not more. It's awesome and totally broken. It's not balanced at all (some weapons have negative recoil, for example.)

You can download the mod here and a full log of all changes is on this pastebin.

4 shots from a .44 takes out a Hulk- handguns skill was 4

Bilal fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 13, 2015

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i'll have you know it takes a mod to make a bigass bullet almost do as much damage as a katana being wielded in some hokey style i found in a book somewhere because kevin granade values realism and engagement over this casual CoDblops bullshit you're pushing here, mister

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Now I want a mod to make bullets super rare, so using a gun feels like a truly last-ditch option.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just start a whole bunch of burning building survivors in gun shops.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Luceid posted:

i'll have you know it takes a mod to make a bigass bullet almost do as much damage as a katana being wielded in some hokey style i found in a book somewhere because kevin granade values realism and engagement over this casual CoDblops bullshit you're pushing here, mister

I think one of the devs posted in the CDDA forum that they wanted to give martial arts crazy magical powers at high levels, but they were waiting to put it in until they can require training with a wandering Mr. Miyagi NPC or something instead of automatically learning more by leveling your unarmed skill.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think one of the devs posted in the CDDA forum that they wanted to give martial arts crazy magical powers at high levels, but they were waiting to put it in until they can require training with a wandering Mr. Miyagi NPC or something instead of automatically learning more by leveling your unarmed skill.

Given how awful the AI is in this game sometimes, imagine finally finding the Wandering Master only to watch him get perforated by turrets before you can talk to him. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr Miyagi wouldnt stop touching my ammo pile.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mr. Miyagi needed to take all your guns and ammo to train you to capture a bullet mid-flight with chopsticks.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bilal posted:

Okay, so this went a lot quicker than I thought it would. I think around 2 hours.

This mod drastically increases the effectiveness of all conventional firearms (doesn't include homemade, pneumatic, energy, explosives, etc). In most cases weapon dispersion is reduced by 90% if not more. It's awesome and totally broken. It's not balanced at all (some weapons have negative recoil, for example.)

You can download the mod here and a full log of all changes is on this pastebin.

4 shots from a .44 takes out a Hulk- handguns skill was 4

Not like it makes much difference, but a gun with a negative recoil modifier works fine since (usually) that only works slightly to reduce the massive recoil added by ammo.

A lot of vanilla guns have negative recoil, especially when you customize them with stock and gyrostabilizer, etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow the Broken Cyborg start option sure is a thing. You get a power, joint torsion, alloy plating everywhere, razor fingers, and a whole fuckload of malfunctioning bionics that make trying to do things like sleep and read and anything extremely difficult.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Well, what did you expect when you picked the 'broken cyborg' option?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty much this. It's great. I need to go find a giant stack of first aid kits and some medical/electronic books tho.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SynthOrange posted:

Pretty much this. It's great. I need to go find a giant stack of first aid kits and some medical/electronic books tho.

Is there a way to remove bionics now?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

T-man posted:

Is there a way to remove bionics now?

You can try to remove damaged/malfunctioning stuff, though it needs a first aid kit and high first aid skill, and you'll still probably take a bunch of damage and pain doing it. I'm not sure if you can remove functional bionics.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:woop: Add vehicle direction indicator in tiles mode :woop:

E: Not in yet, but probably will be tonight, they're just discussing details like which cursor to use, etc.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rolled a Lab character. Found an ANFO barrel in a supply room to escape Lab 0 before starvation kicks in.

The rest of the map looks fun:

:getin:

edit: ANFO killed a moose and now I'm permanently deaf. win-win.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 14, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Found an LMOE shelter in the middle of a swamp. All the bug jerky I can eat!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fungus and vehicles dont mix. :smith: RIP Deathmobile.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
They fixed that in a recent experimental.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Road rollers are pretty great. A 9mph tap sends any other car flying a dozen spaces. But don't go driving 60mph through the woods with non-roller back wheels; I skidded out so hard that I had to chop down some trees to escape and a falling tree will gently caress up a car real real bad.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not going to go driving 60mph with roller back wheels either. :v:

This is 4 electric engines, 2 enhanced and 2 large. After the multi engine penalties, it's probably equivalent to a higher displacement V12.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Are ear plugs broken on trunk? I haven't found any, and http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/ is giving errors on http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/ear_spool and http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/ear_plugs.

E: I do have noise cancelling headgear, but my head encumbrance is already maxed, so I can't put them on without taking off my helmet.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 19, 2015

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So I have a few funguses that I let grow and now I have a few too many:

This is one bunch of about 15 i have driven by. I killed the Fungal Bloom spire nearby, should these slowly die off now or do i need to kill each one individually?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kill it with fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Kill it with fire.

I really wish you could somehow make a solar powered flamethrower in these cases. But a alcohol and solar powered fusion rifle is already possible so it sort of works.