Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The mother died from eCorp cancer and got switched with dad for reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
my official review of this episode:

cool

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

muscles like this? posted:

So there's basically two options here:
Mr. Robot is actually Elliot and he's just projecting his father's image
Mr. Robot is actually Elliot's father and he faked his own death playing on Elliot's mental issues to kind of just swoop in and as long as he didn't say anything Elliot wouldn't realize what was going on.

I'm kind of leaning toward the second as he is noticeably older than in the pictures, which would be an odd detail for a crazy person to come up with.

Or is it both??!?????

There really is a fair argument for both

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I saw a text post that sums things up pretty nicely:

we thought it was fight club but it was actually star wars the whole loving time.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
This loving show...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I need to know wtf was the car talk between Bateman and Ghost Dad all about. Anyone?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Tyrell probably knows about some of the crazy poo poo that Vader did to put Eliot in this condition

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Trabant posted:

I need to know wtf was the car talk between Bateman and Ghost Dad all about. Anyone?

Tyrell is his brother.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I still can't get over the fact that was BD Wong. Dude has been in so much diverse poo poo.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy poo poo I called it! I loving called it. What, like over a month ago?

qbert posted:

You know how they're going to reveal it. Someone's going to be talking to Elliot and be like, "Hey, I found this old picture. It's your dad, right?"

Cut to a pic of Slater.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
Kind of explains the vindictive shoving off a ledge.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Waynebo posted:

Or is it both??!?????

There really is a fair argument for both

He didnt really age though

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

steakmancer posted:

Tyrell probably knows about some of the crazy poo poo that Vader did to put Eliot in this condition

He might, but didn't he also say "We're supposed to be allies" or somesuch thing? It puts the whole fsociety mission in a different light. Not that we should've trusted Slater's description of it to begin with, but still.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
I thought that scene made more sense if it was Elliot's Mr Robot speaking to Tyrell. Them being allies, the secret being his framing of Colby for "revenge". The sequence afterwards with Tyrell talking to his wife about Elliott seemed to enforce that... But who the gently caress knows anymore

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
this also explains angela's last conversation with Eliot. She expected them to grow apart because he wouldn't remember anything :(.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I thought it was weird when you see Darlene and Angela chatting at ballet class. I kept on thinking, "Wait, did they meet? I think they did? Or was it Shayla? Or maybe both?" But no, they're just childhood friends. :stare:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 13, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

keevo posted:

I still can't get over the fact that was BD Wong. Dude has been in so much diverse poo poo.

It seriously took me a good 30 seconds to recognize him despite seeing his name in the credits. I thought I'd finish the episode and post about his performance and then the show skull hosed me.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
So was Elliot's phone being at 22% constantly...was that meaningful or do amnesiac hackers just live on the edgeforget to charge their phones?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well gently caress me :stare:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Love this show.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Wow. Glad I listened to goons and gave this show a shot. This week's episode was great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:psyduck:

waht

fresh gently caress was
this

Ooookay but...didn't Angela mention Elliot's dad legit being dead, though?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
You're gonna trust Eliot's amnesiac, autistic eyes on this one?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

:psyduck:

waht

fresh gently caress was
this

Ooookay but...didn't Angela mention Elliot's dad legit being dead, though?

If Robot Dad is real then he would have had to fake his own death.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Shocking revelation subversions aside, there was other rad stuff in the episode.

Notice Wellick's machiavellian wife being confirmed as Lady Macbeth. She really went after that one stain during their first conversation at home!

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

muscles like this? posted:

I'm kind of leaning toward the second as he is noticeably older than in the pictures, which would be an odd detail for a crazy person to come up with.

He only looked a lot younger in a few of the pictures where he's by himself. He looks about the same to me in the pictures with child Elliot. Down to the same glasses and jacket. I assumed the pictures were just his dad when he was younger.

I'm still going with Ghost Dad here. It just makes a lot more sense. The interactions with Darlene and Tyrell just don't quite add up if he's alive. All signs point to delusion imo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I know it's a contrivance to keep the plot on point for the viewer but... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... Elliot left the room when this happened.

That said, I was actually getting a little bored with certain parts of this episode but Bateman and that end really perked me up. I wish this season wasn't allowed to end in 2 episodes.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Ghost Dad. Sister incest. Inner monologue.

Awfully similar to Dexter.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

If Robot Dad is real then he would have had to fake his own death.
In the realm of "it's too stupid to be a coincidence" symbolism, one of the pictures of Elliot's father was him mockingly mimicking the christ's crucifixion pose. No matter if he is alive or not, he is still the "holy ghost" Dad, at least according to Wellick.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
:stare:

im gay fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 13, 2015

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
So the dream/withdrawl sequence now is a hell of a lot more interesting :staredog:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I can't wait for the season to end so I can rewatch it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I went back and checked some scenes from Ep 2, and every Elliot/Darlene interaction makes perfect sense in the context of them being siblings.

Awesome.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Spergatory posted:

I saw a text post that sums things up pretty nicely:

we thought it was fight club but it was actually star wars the whole loving time.

Yeah that is very apt. I never saw Darlene coming.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

qbert posted:

I went back and checked some scenes from Ep 2, and every Elliot/Darlene interaction makes perfect sense in the context of them being siblings.

Awesome.

Yeah it's a sign of a pretty good twist/reveal that my immediate reaction was that I really want to rewatch the earlier episodes now. I'll wait until the season is over, but it just immediately paints so many scenes/interactions/conversations in a different light now.

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer
That was a placenta-poppin episode, loved it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My money is on his mom died and not his dad and maybe the reason we're hearing everyone talk about his dad is because we're hearing everything through Eliot's point of view. Pretty sure we've heard EvilCorp when he wasn't around too. Also I really like the 50/50 head dad, real dad theory.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if they do anything with Rami Malek having a twin brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Marine
Feb 17, 2014

Do you think perhaps that Elliot received some kind of brain damage as a child, courtesy of Evil Corp?

• Locked thread