Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Stuff like this makes me wish there was a really good alternative to Firefox because I'm getting a bit tired of Mozilla being stupid constantly. Shame Edge is so featureless and I have other issues with Chrome entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Knormal posted:

Easiest way is Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled. It's not a true clean profile, but if it's an add-on issue that might catch it.

The quickest way to do a true new profile is to go to C:\Users\whatever\AppData\Roaming and rename the Mozilla directory to Mozilla.bak or something. The next time you launch Firefox it'll start with a blank profile. When you want to go back just delete the new Mozilla folder it created and rename Mozilla.bak back to Mozilla.

Restarting without add-ons got Google Maps to behave. Now comes the fun part of figuring out which add-on is causing the problem!

Edit: Does that restart option disable anything in addition to extensions? Because I've manually disabled all extensions and the problem still happens.

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 13, 2015

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
Is there an easy way to change text and background colors on various sites? The white background black text gives me headaches and turning the brightness down on my monitor to read then back up to watch YouTube is a pain.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SteviaFan420 posted:

Is there an easy way to change text and background colors on various sites? The white background black text gives me headaches and turning the brightness down on my monitor to read then back up to watch YouTube is a pain.

Isn't that what the Stylish plugin can do? I don't use it myself, but I've heard of other goons using it to make SA have a dark theme.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nalin posted:

So, there is apparently a bug with Firefox 40 and the latest NVIDIA drivers for Windows 10. Mozilla has blacklisted the driver and disabled Direct2D/DirectWrite in Firefox. If things are a tearing, jittery mess, and things don't look right, check your about :support to see if hardware acceleration was disabled.

I'm glad I checked here before wasting any time troubleshooting this. Is there a bugzilla page or something for this? Does rolling back to 39.0.3 fix it?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

SteviaFan420 posted:

NoSquint?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

xamphear posted:

I'm glad I checked here before wasting any time troubleshooting this. Is there a bugzilla page or something for this? Does rolling back to 39.0.3 fix it?
Turns out you're in luck; unlike Mozilla, Nvidia apparently isn't total poo poo and released a new driver today. Get it here (Win10 64bit, from UK), install, restart firefox, go to about :config and set gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled to true, restart firefox again and things should be back to normal.

Edit: This also fixes the black-google maps-problem which some users (including me) had.

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 13, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Marinmo posted:

Turns out you're in luck; unlike Mozilla, Nvidia apparently isn't total poo poo and released a new driver today.

Why do you assume the bug was with Firefox and not Nvidia's drivers? If you have any details on the situation I'd be interested in reading about what really happened.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Marinmo posted:

Turns out you're in luck; unlike Mozilla, Nvidia apparently isn't total poo poo and released a new driver today. Get it here (Win10 64bit, from UK), install, restart firefox, go to about :config and set gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled to true, restart firefox again and things should be back to normal.

Edit: This also fixes the black-google maps-problem which some users (including me) had.

Just upgraded the driver, though I'm not sure there's any concrete proof it fixes whatever issue Firefox has with Nvidia cards. Countdown until Mozilla adds 355.60 to the blacklist starts now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, whoever's fault it is, that fixes my Google Maps problem. Thanks!

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Why do you assume the bug was with Firefox and not Nvidia's drivers? If you have any details on the situation I'd be interested in reading about what really happened.
I'm not so sure there's another way to triage it since the only thing that changed was Firefox; the driver worked fine with 39.0.3. I've ran multiple searches on the bugzilla for information about the problem (using direct write, directwrite, direct2d, nvidia, font rendering, windows 10 as variables in different combinations). There's not even any mention of "oops we turned off directwrite" in the changelog.
No matter how you look at it, no matter whose "fault" it was, this was nothing short of disastrous from Mozilla. I cannot provide any details because of the reasons listed above.

xamphear posted:

Just upgraded the driver, though I'm not sure there's any concrete proof it fixes whatever issue Firefox has with Nvidia cards. Countdown until Mozilla adds 355.60 to the blacklist starts now.
DirectWrite works with this version for me, which mostly seems to un-break things for now, although font rendering still is hit-and-miss at times.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Marinmo posted:

I'm not so sure there's another way to triage it since the only thing that changed was Firefox; the driver worked fine with 39.0.3. I've ran multiple searches on the bugzilla for information about the problem (using direct write, directwrite, direct2d, nvidia, font rendering, windows 10 as variables in different combinations). There's not even any mention of "oops we turned off directwrite" in the changelog.
No matter how you look at it, no matter whose "fault" it was, this was nothing short of disastrous from Mozilla. I cannot provide any details because of the reasons listed above.
Here's the bug, the broken nVidia driver was atttributed as the #3 most common cause of Firefox crashes under Windows 10. Generally it's preferred to have a temporary performance loss until users update their driver, compared to the browser crashing all the time.

I really don't understand why people are moving to Windows 10 immediately after release if they want a trouble-free experience. Obviously the first month or three is going to be a nightmare of bugs as OEMs struggle to release working drivers.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Marinmo posted:

Be aware that this driver isn't "fixed". If you enable layers acceleration, Firefox 40 will break.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Alereon posted:

Here's the bug, the broken nVidia driver was atttributed as the #3 most common cause of Firefox crashes under Windows 10. Generally it's preferred to have a temporary performance loss until users update their driver, compared to the browser crashing all the time.

I really don't understand why people are moving to Windows 10 immediately after release if they want a trouble-free experience. Obviously the first month or three is going to be a nightmare of bugs as OEMs struggle to release working drivers.
Thank heavens for the bugzilla link. Further, even Mozilla QA seems to think this was a huge mistake:

quote:

Anthony Hughes, QA Mentor (:ashughes) 2015-08-13 09:21:13 PDT

Created attachment 8647575 [details]
Crash Trend

Attached is a chart visualizing the 10 days of crashes in nvwgf2um before and after Windows 10's release. It shows that these crashes are not really any worse because of Windows 10 or the latest nVidia driver. Based on this new data I am reversing my opinion and suggest we pull back the block."

I don't understand why you block something when you're not even fairly certain it's the root cause.

Nalin posted:

Be aware that this driver isn't "fixed". If you enable layers acceleration, Firefox 40 will break.
Afaik it is:

quote:

Jeff Muizelaar [:jrmuizel] 2015-08-12 23:28:29 PDT

FWIW, Manuel Guzman from NVIDIA has said that this will be fixed in the next driver update.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Nah, it will still break Firefox horribly if you force enable the graphics features. I tried it and the UI stopped painting properly. There must be something else that needs to be enabled. But hopefully it will work correctly when they remove the block.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

SteviaFan420 posted:

Black Background and White Text 0.3.7.1 addon.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SteviaFan420 posted:

Stylish is awesome. I use dark themes for Google and Youtube, and it makes them look so much nicer and easier on the eyes. You can search for styles for pretty much any given site or make your own if you're savvy.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Marinmo posted:

Thank heavens for the bugzilla link. Further, even Mozilla QA seems to think this was a huge mistake:

I don't understand why you block something when you're not even fairly certain it's the root cause.
If you look at that attachment, it should be pretty clear why they felt it was an emergency and they needed to blocklist the driver right away. As you can see from the comments on the nVidia forums, the driver was pretty broken, it's just a question of whether driver brokenness or temporarily reduced performance were worse for users.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Any way to move the burger menu to the left of the navbar without using classic theme restorer as that seems to lag my browser.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The blacklist on the latest NVIDIA drivers have been removed. It will automatically download the new blacklist tomorrow, or, if you are impatient, you can force an update:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting/Testing#Forcing_a_Blocklist_Ping

1) Press F12 to open the web dev console.
2) Click the gear on the top-right.
3) Under Advanced Settings, check the "Enable browser chrome and add-on debugging toolboxes" setting.
4) Close the web dev console and press CTRL+SHIFT+J
5) In the new window, paste this in and press enter:
code:
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/extensions/blocklist;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsITimerCallback).notify(null);
6) Restart Firefox

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
If you just updated to Firefox 40 and Ctrl+L and Ctrl+K stopped working for you check if you have Australis Slimmr installed. For some reason it is eating those shortcuts. Ctrl+L can be fixed by disabling the "Enable Select Location Bar" option but I can't figure out how to fix Ctrl+K without disabling the add-on entirely.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mr.Radar posted:

If you just updated to Firefox 40 and Ctrl+L and Ctrl+K stopped working for you check if you have Australis Slimmr installed. For some reason it is eating those shortcuts. Ctrl+L can be fixed by disabling the "Enable Select Location Bar" option but I can't figure out how to fix Ctrl+K without disabling the add-on entirely.

Does Ctrl E work for search in the meantime?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does Ctrl E work for search in the meantime?

Yeah, but I just disabled Australis Slimmr since I've been using Ctrl+K since Firefox was Phoenix and it's a hard habit to break. I mainly posted in case anyone else was having the same issue and wanted to know WTF was happening.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

When did control+enter start meaning the same thing as just plain enter? It keeps going to whatever bullshit the address bar wants to autocomplete instead of going to <what I just typed>.com

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

When did control+enter start meaning the same thing as just plain enter? It keeps going to whatever bullshit the address bar wants to autocomplete instead of going to <what I just typed>.com

Been that way for quite some time, I too mourn this loss :911:

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Never? It has always autocompleted if you have previously visited sites which start with the same letters. If you don't want it to autocomplete, press backspace and then ctrl+enter? Is there something I'm missing here? I just tried with lala (I have no previously visited sites that begin with this combination), lala + enter searches for lala on my search engine, lala + ctrl+enter goes to lala.com?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Works fine for me. Probably configurable.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I've been using chrome for years and I feel like it has just gotten bloated and its memory usage has increased a lot over time. Looking around I saw some suggestions for Firefox, do you all think it would be the best choice for a browser for me? Things I want in a browser: I like being able to search google in the url bar (Maxthon does this obnoxious thing where it continually refreshes the search page as I type out the query). I liked chrome's ability to drag tabs apart to be a separate window, but that's not a dealbreaker if it's not the case. Incognito / private browsing is a plus. Finally, the only addon I need to use is a form of adblock. What do you think?

E; briefly mentioned but forgot to say it was important that it use less (maybe a LOT less because I don't need many features) memory than chrome.

E2; looking into low memory browsers it became apparent that not all support JS/Flash/Java and I suppose I need those for youtube/soundcloud. I guess what I'm asking is, is firefox better than chrome and/or maxthon now?

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 15, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Firefox can do all the things you said.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The hardware vsync stuff they did in Firefox 40 has dramatically increased the perception of how smooth the browser is. I am liking it very much. Scrolling is smooth and doesn't tear anymore. I dare say it feels as fast as Chrome does at this point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Blowdryer posted:

I've been using chrome for years and I feel like it has just gotten bloated and its memory usage has increased a lot over time. Looking around I saw some suggestions for Firefox, do you all think it would be the best choice for a browser for me? Things I want in a browser: I like being able to search google in the url bar (Maxthon does this obnoxious thing where it continually refreshes the search page as I type out the query). I liked chrome's ability to drag tabs apart to be a separate window, but that's not a dealbreaker if it's not the case. Incognito / private browsing is a plus. Finally, the only addon I need to use is a form of adblock. What do you think?

E; briefly mentioned but forgot to say it was important that it use less (maybe a LOT less because I don't need many features) memory than chrome.

E2; looking into low memory browsers it became apparent that not all support JS/Flash/Java and I suppose I need those for youtube/soundcloud. I guess what I'm asking is, is firefox better than chrome and/or maxthon now?

It's only a browser, you don't have to stick with it like an arranged marriage or something if you can't stand the son of a bitch.

Download Firefox and use it with uBlock Origin and Web of Trust and see what you think.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Blowdryer posted:

Having more features doesn't mean a browser will use more RAM, and vice versa for less features. Why is minimizing RAM usage from your browser so critical for you? I ask because a lot of people seem to be under the impression that using less RAM makes a program better or something, when (for example) Chrome uses a lot of RAM for perfectly good reasons.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a way (FF addon, userscript, anything) to change linked URLs on the fly? In particular, there are some old blogs I was reading, and they linked to their Steam screenshots, but since then the link format changed from

code:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/things/
to

code:
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/things
So now the blog shows up without pictures, but they're still available under the new URL. Opening and editing every single image URL manually would take forever, though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Should I be using ublock or ublock origin? Doesn't seem like they're any different, but I'm dumb. I'm on ublock.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ryuga Death posted:

Should I be using ublock or ublock origin? Doesn't seem like they're any different, but I'm dumb. I'm on ublock.

uBlock plain hasn't updated since like may, u Block Origin has, so I use Origin.

You might want to export your settings from uBlock plain to re-import to Origin, sometimes it doesn't catch them properly when you switch.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Just a heads up, if you're for whatever reason still on firefox 40 (not 40.0.2), you won't be able to log in to gmail.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Are bookmarks acting strange for anyone else? It used to be that I could click on the little bookmark star to bookmark something, and then click it again to organize and tag it. Now it just does the little star animation but doesn't actually bookmark anything.

edit: nvm I disabled a couple addons and after that a browser restart seemed to fix it

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 15, 2015

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Read posted:

Having more features doesn't mean a browser will use more RAM, and vice versa for less features. Why is minimizing RAM usage from your browser so critical for you? I ask because a lot of people seem to be under the impression that using less RAM makes a program better or something, when (for example) Chrome uses a lot of RAM for perfectly good reasons.

Running a browser while running a game is why I was looking for a lightweight browser, it gets bad when I play dota or divinity original sin and try to have something up (music/guides/whatever).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Blowdryer posted:

I just wanted to say that neither Youtube or SoundCloud require Flash or Java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

orcane posted:

Is there a way (FF addon, userscript, anything) to change linked URLs on the fly? In particular, there are some old blogs I was reading, and they linked to their Steam screenshots, but since then the link format changed from

code:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/things/
to

code:
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/things
So now the blog shows up without pictures, but they're still available under the new URL. Opening and editing every single image URL manually would take forever, though.

You could hack something up with greasemonkey to do this. Probably easiest to just steal a userscript that does a similar thing and editing it a bit.