Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
E: nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

If you've any plans to do another iteration on Blightfall, or if you do another modpack, I'm sure you'd be able to find people to do alpha/beta testing and help in various ways.

E: Oh for getting all the thaumcraft aspects, the other one that's a pain to get is Humanus, which is Bestia (Motus + Victus) and Cognitio (Spiritus + Ignis) mashed together. Every time I do Thaumcraft, I almost always build Victus and Humanus

I actually use a forum post i found for that.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/thaumcraft-4-a-quick-way-to-discover-all-aspects-updated-for-4-2.33605/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so far i've been having a good bit of fun with blightfall, but it's been kinda tough to get my bearings because i've somehow never messed around much with the mods that are heavily used for some things, like the smelter and whatnot. on the flipside, i've gone entirely through the botania content on a server in the past, but it looks like botania usage is going to be a little bit limited this go around.

also, is there...really any point to collecting the shimmerleaf and/or having the ship make artificial ones?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

so far i've been having a good bit of fun with blightfall, but it's been kinda tough to get my bearings because i've somehow never messed around much with the mods that are heavily used for some things, like the smelter and whatnot. on the flipside, i've gone entirely through the botania content on a server in the past, but it looks like botania usage is going to be a little bit limited this go around.

also, is there...really any point to collecting the shimmerleaf and/or having the ship make artificial ones?

Yes. Once you get far enough, you can turn shimmerleaf into Ethereal Blooms, which are the first tier of taint cleaning goodness. If you've got a good-sized stack of them you can clean sizable areas of land.

The smelter is worth learning because drat near every modpack includes Tinker's Construct and Tinker tools are vastly better than mundane tools.

E: Something random for the Paranormalist Botania questline - the invis potion quest takes invis potions juiced up with redstone, not regulars

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 13, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found out something hilarious just now. It doesn't matter what direction a seared drain is pointing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
As a heads up to the Blightfall makers, the entry for the Machine of Dawn doesn't seem to have the picture it's supposed to have that shows the Silverwood and Cyber Totem configuration.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 13, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The smelter's pretty cool because it's relatively cheap and easy ore doubling early on. Which is important, especially in this modpack where your access to machines is gated pretty hard.

Also, if you've never looked into them before, you can totally automate smelters. Replace the drain with a hardened (invar) fluiduct (since temperate ones will explode after carrying molten liquid for too long) and put a basic (glass, redstone, 2 iron nuggets, 2 iron bars) servo on it and it will auto drain into an ingot mold. Have an item duct pull from the casting table and now you've got an auto ingot-casting smeltery. Just dump your ore in, walk away, collect ingots later.

Even better is that you can use an itemduct to pump items to smelt directly into the smeltery's controller. Great for if you want a massive batch of clear glass, have an excess of stone (8 cobblestone = 1 seared stone or 4 seared bricks) or just have a giant pile of iron that you haven't finished smelting yet because you can only put a handful at a time in your tiny, baby smelter. Just be careful of unwanted alloys. I accidentally wasted a good chunk of gold since I didn't realize it alloyed with iron to make a really worthless alloy I can't use for gold or iron.

Also, getting into Thaumcraft research/insanity. What's a good source of ink/black dye since squids don't spawn in tainted water? At least until I get one of the fancier pens from the other thaumcraft mods.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

Also, getting into Thaumcraft research/insanity. What's a good source of ink/black dye since squids don't spawn in tainted water? At least until I get one of the fancier pens from the other thaumcraft mods.

make a 3x3x3 tank full of water and squids will spawn in it as long as it is a decent ways away from where you are (but still in a loaded chunk)

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
How does Thaumcraft work with multiplayer? Do we have to research/discover things seperately?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

How does Thaumcraft work with multiplayer? Do we have to research/discover things seperately?

You can make a tome of knowledge transfer each and share your research.

one other hint i just found out the hard way....

Alpha dome is not safe.....

There is a hole right at the top of the dome and spiders can get in....

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I found out something hilarious just now. It doesn't matter what direction a seared drain is pointing.

It's been that way for as long as I remember, the drain inputs and outputs in all directions regardless of it's facing.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheresaJayne posted:

You can make a tome of knowledge transfer each and share your research.

one other hint i just found out the hard way....

Alpha dome is not safe.....

There is a hole right at the top of the dome and spiders can get in....

This is also true of Beta. Not sure about the others.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

make a 3x3x3 tank full of water and squids will spawn in it as long as it is a decent ways away from where you are (but still in a loaded chunk)

It's also easy to purify enough water in the swamp to get some squid, just plop the two ethereal blooms there on the shorelin

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is the nether disabled in Blightfall? I made enough Obsidian to make a nether portal, but don't want to plop it down if its pointless.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Magres posted:

I really enjoy all the little detailing that Blightfall has, it's so damned clear that the creator put their heart into it and enjoyed making it.

I just want to point out that Blightfall is the design of Talonos solely. Blightfall is his baby, the rest of us helped him realize it is all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Reason posted:

Is the nether disabled in Blightfall? I made enough Obsidian to make a nether portal, but don't want to plop it down if its pointless.

there is no nether, but there are places on the map to get nether materials

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

in blightfall can i get spice leaf plants and black pepper from the seed bags

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I jumped on the Blightfall wagon overnight. I just stuck with alpha since I have less time to go nuts and taint is not a Minecraft subject I know well. I dug straight down from the edge and out to make a door out without touching the glass. This got me to the barley you can see from inside the dome. I dug down from there and found some prometheum in a cave.

Do I want to make a bucket from that metal? Or should I be looking for commoner stuff to use instead?

When going outside, can I stop damage from taint if I wear boots? I thought so, but I cannot look this up. I guess I could have tried to make wooden boots. Oh well.

In good news, I climbed out of my vertical mineshaft to find myself hosting a pair of cows.

Can I just get seeds by throwing bone meal on the grass? Is it really necessary to call in for seeds?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there is no nether, but there are places on the map to get nether materials

Is there a config I can edit to turn the nether back on?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I jumped on the Blightfall wagon overnight. I just stuck with alpha since I have less time to go nuts and taint is not a Minecraft subject I know well. I dug straight down from the edge and out to make a door out without touching the glass. This got me to the barley you can see from inside the dome. I dug down from there and found some prometheum in a cave.

Do I want to make a bucket from that metal? Or should I be looking for commoner stuff to use instead?

When going outside, can I stop damage from taint if I wear boots? I thought so, but I cannot look this up. I guess I could have tried to make wooden boots. Oh well.

In good news, I climbed out of my vertical mineshaft to find myself hosting a pair of cows.

Can I just get seeds by throwing bone meal on the grass? Is it really necessary to call in for seeds?

Calling in for seeds is very, very helpful. Due to the Spice of Life mod, you need to eat a very wide variety of foods to keep your hunger at bay. I haven't tried a whole lot, but the only things I was getting from punching grass were wheat, barley, and (only once) cotton.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Reason posted:

Is there a config I can edit to turn the nether back on?

i don't really know for sure, but i imagine it's off for balance reasons.

e: also yeah, calling in for seeds is the only(?) way to get a wide variety of stuff, from foods trees to different types of seeds that yield various crops

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I called in for animals a couple times yesterday, and both times it created an egg called Spawn. The first one created a villager named Spawn who, eventually, wandered down into the glass-walled cave under Alpha and got tainted. The second one spawned a blaze named Spawn :stare:. Are the eggs supposed to be unidentified like that?

Speaking of the glass wall, if the taint and tendrils and stuff are being stopped by the presence of the pure node in the silverwood tree, is there any actual point to the glass wall in the cavern, besides halting critters? Or can I fearlessly break that and replace it with a two-high cobble wall or whatever?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
So uh... how far into Alphadome does the taint spread? I just had a moment of panic where I found a tainted plant growing in a corner and now I want to re-wall it with a true safe zone while I stripmine to bedrock for starting mats. Already got a stack of iron ore and got lucky with a seedbag so I've a copper oreberry bush; I can hold out for a while before I'll have to venture outside but if the taint is inevitable I might need to speed up my timeline.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You can break the glass - I re-roofed my dome in dirt to give me more room for growing trees, myself. It's worth knowing that there are tainted spider things that will fit through a 1x1 hole though.

As far as calling in seeds, you're definitely expected to do so. Though, question for the thread, is anyone else having trouble with the food cycle being really long? I've eaten at least a hundred items since the start of the game and my diminishing returns still hasn't reset on the stuff I first ate. Lots of light and hearty meals, too :(

Additionally, has anyone found Manganese? I can't remember what elevation I found it at in Blightfall 1

Edminster posted:

So uh... how far into Alphadome does the taint spread? I just had a moment of panic where I found a tainted plant growing in a corner and now I want to re-wall it with a true safe zone while I stripmine to bedrock for starting mats. Already got a stack of iron ore and got lucky with a seedbag so I've a copper oreberry bush; I can hold out for a while before I'll have to venture outside but if the taint is inevitable I might need to speed up my timeline.

It'll pop in by like a block at the corners at some of the corners, I put a ring of cobble on the inside of my wall to designate a 'true safe zone' area

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Edminster posted:

There's one little corner where a side of exposed dirt can leak taint in. I replaced it with a glass block and so far I haven't had any issues.

Do note however that passive mobs can sidle up to the side of the glass dome, get mooked by the taint, and potentially turn into tainted whatevers. It's important to pen any animals inside your safe zones away from the edge, or murder any that spawn naturally.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've hit the ground running and landed on the beta pod but I have no idea at all where to find clay, is there somewhere special I need to get it from?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Talonos posted:

The most complete "Starter guide" I have found is located here. (some spoilers of course)

It's for an outdated version of Blightfall, so some of it is inaccurate (Like, you cannot get pumpkins from seed bags anymore) but it should be way better than nothing.

In all honesty, though, the best Blightfall discussion I've seen in any community on the internet anywhere is in this thread. I kind of wish I had bought an SA account earlier so I could have been exposed to all this feedback while developing it.

(BTW, hi I'm new.)

Love the mudpack. Maybe I'm a masochist, but I enjoy the fact that ore is only in some areas, and it isn't raining down on you. Very creative work!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really do wish the 'food cycle' was lowered a bit, because it's asinine that even when regularly trying to eat like 10-15 different things that i'm running into issues of 'not enough variety'.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

I've hit the ground running and landed on the beta pod but I have no idea at all where to find clay, is there somewhere special I need to get it from?

There should be plenty in the river by the swamp.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edminster posted:

I'm afraid that pure nodes only affect biomes at a very small radius, I believe it's like 5-7 blocks or something. If the taint managed to worm its way under your glass barrier (probably by growing through the caverns somewhere), then you're on a timer until it eats your whole outer dome leaving you only a very small area near the tree. Fortunately you're in alpha dome, so if you run due south a couple hundred blocks you'll find a marble shrine with a silverwood tree in it and four free ethereal blooms for you to steal.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my testing it looks like the way taint spreads is fibrous taint grows from other fibrous taint blocks, and any block that has fibrous taint on it (that isn't under the influence of a purifying source like a pure node or an ethereal bloom) will convert that block's biome to Tainted Land. Biomes are always infinitely tall columns stretching from bedrock to space, so building a floating platform in the sky won't keep you safe from taint, the fibrous taint will just grow across the surface under your platform and convert your platform's biome out from under you.

Fibrous taint can't grow onto transparent blocks like glass, or blocks with non-cube-shaped hitboxes, like half-slabs, doors, torches, etc. Most of the protection in the biodomes comes from the glass barrier, not the silverwood tree. I have only dug under alpha so far, but it appears that the biodomes also seem to have no caverns directly under them, which prevents fibrous taint from growing under the dome and spreading the taint. However there do appear to be a couple spots near the edge of alpha dome where there's a bit of cavern under them that will eventually get taint spreading into it. I don't know if this is just an alpha dome thing or if all the domes are similarly porous.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I made it to the swamp scouting location and I've noticed that the raw calamari I got from a squid appears to be sharing the hunger values for either raw or roasted chestnuts. Also I found out that rubber tree logs can't be used to make wooden armor which kind of sucks because that was the replacement sapling I got after my starter oak failed to drop any. At least now I have plastic shoes? v:shobon:v

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Edminster posted:

I made it to the swamp scouting location and I've noticed that the raw calamari I got from a squid appears to be sharing the hunger values for either raw or roasted chestnuts. Also I found out that rubber tree logs can't be used to make wooden armor which kind of sucks because that was the replacement sapling I got after my starter oak failed to drop any. At least now I have plastic shoes? v:shobon:v

i've definitely been noticing some buggy crossover in regards to food and what does and doesn't share a nutritional value. honestly, that whole system is probably my one gripe about the pack in general.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edminster posted:

How did you get a rubber sapling? Just order random seeds bags and get phenomenally lucky?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i've definitely been noticing some buggy crossover in regards to food and what does and doesn't share a nutritional value. honestly, that whole system is probably my one gripe about the pack in general.

:agreed:

Food has become really tedious, I feel like I spend about as much time just figuring out and acquiring ingredients for new recipes so I don't starve to death as just playing the rest of the modpack.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

:agreed:

Food has become really tedious, I feel like I spend about as much time just figuring out and acquiring ingredients for new recipes so I don't starve to death as just playing the rest of the modpack.

yeah, pretty much. i get that the point behind it is to make it so people can't just crank out bread all day and never have to worry, but i feel like a food clock of 150 hunger or so would be more sane than 250. the rest of the pack is hard enough as it is.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's worth noting that it's 250 whole blips of hunger, not 250 halves. I just dug through SpiceOfLife.cfg to check (and with the intention of lowering the food history) and yeah.

If you want to change your food history value to something you find more fun (whether that's raising or lowering it) then you can do the following:

Open the Technic launcher, hit modpacks, click Blightfall. Towards the top right there will be a gear with "mod options" next to it (there's also one with "launcher options" which you don't want). There's an "Install Folder" option with Open and Move next to it, click Open, then open the config folder in your install folder, then open SpiceOfLife.cfg with a text editor and look for the following lines:

# The maximum amount of eaten foods stored in the history at a time
I:food.history.length=500

Change it to whatever value you like. I'm dropping mine to 200, which is 10 full bars of hunger, which seems like what will be fun for me because I'm not really into the Pam's Harvestcraft recipes and stuff. Hunger for me is basically a tax I pay to access the fun parts of Minecraft, to each their own.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 13, 2015

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Does it look backwards into the recipes for the items and counts the components, or just the completed recipe?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Mzbundifund posted:

How did you get a rubber sapling? Just order random seeds bags and get phenomenally lucky?

Yeah! I ordered a sapling bag because I sure as gently caress wasn't going to chop the silverwood down and it was a rubber sapling. I also got an essence berry bush in addition to the copper oreberry so I've just been on a roll for luckybags. FWIW I now have a bunch of oak saplings after chopping down the trees around the Swamp warp so I'm set for early-game protection now.

Protip: farm the poo poo out of sugarcane. It expands the hell out of your diet by making juices and punches and jellies and pies, so if you nab the blackberries en route to the Swamp from Alpha you've got a decent amount of hunger taken care of.

Carados posted:

Does it look backwards into the recipes for the items and counts the components, or just the completed recipe?

Just the completed recipe. For instance, chestnuts and roasted chestnuts are two different foods, same with blackberries and blackberry pie.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Don't forget about fish, guys. Also, milk products. Those additions increase your food variety by a LOT. Also once you get some meat production going alongside a veggie farm you'll have a bunch of really filling meals to work with. Like stew. That said, I do agree that 250 may be a little too much... oh, I forgot about pasta too. Hmm. I'm still not sure on how difficult it will be in the end to get enough of a variety of filling meals to last through the 250. I know I'm not there yet, my bread is still at 7 and that's one of the first things I ate. Haven't eaten any milk products yet tho. I only just got a cow.

Glory of Arioch posted:

in blightfall can i get spice leaf plants and black pepper from the seed bags
I got a peppercorn sapling from a sapling bag.

Magres posted:

It's worth noting that it's 250 whole blips of hunger, not 250 halves.
:stare: Ye gods. Well, now I'm just going to try to get through it to see if I even can.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I definitely can't do it, I've made pretty much everything I can think to make and eat and even with the history dialed down to 200 I've only just reset my early foods. (I'm bad at food mods)

I've done modpacks where I needed ~12 kinds of food to readily keep my hunger up easily, it's like 50+ here and I can't keep up with that.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 13, 2015