Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

I would like you to watch this with us, so we can have a conversation about anime

same

But I don't know if I can deal with someone who didn't like nichijou...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but isn't the fact that the "gimmick" order was what they broadcast means that it was intentionally made that way and the chronological order is a fan-created/necessitated thing?
i mean you don't produce an entire series before air, broadcasts would've been dictated by a very deliberate production process.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Linnaeus posted:

But I don't know if I can deal with someone who didn't like nichijou...

Nichijou is fine, but I don't think it's as good as people say

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

I would like you to watch this with us, so we can have a conversation about anime

Yah it's good to have dissenting opinions in simulwatches since it can result in interesting discussions.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I don't trust any of the posters with the weird teeth avs

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

but isn't the fact that the "gimmick" order was what they broadcast means that it was intentionally made that way and the chronological order is a fan-created/necessitated thing?
i mean you don't produce an entire series before air, broadcasts would've been dictated by a very deliberate production process.

The chronological order is cannon. They actually listed it at the end of every episode of the first season, and the second season aired in that order.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know much about the books but I think the chronological order follows them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, the books are chronological. Broadcast order was a great hook though and gave a lot more life to a story that otherwise would've peaked by the 6th episode and ended kind boring by the 12th (whether it was with Sighs or Someday in the Rain).

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I know that I watched the first season about five years ago, but I have no idea what order I watched it in because the episodes were just labeled numerically and not by episode title. I have not seen any of the second season or movie, and I suppose it's finally time to fix that so I'm in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This should be fun, haven't seen the first season since it originally aired and the second and movie came out during my last anime burnout period so I've never seen them at all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darealkooky posted:

Maybe the first season just sucks, and the later stuff is actually good because things happen and the characters stop being one dimensional (and even worse, totally unlikable) so there's any reason to give a poo poo on a level beyond the visuals and the voice acting being Pretty Good. But what I saw didn't impress me and gave me no reason to continue (endless eight sounds pretty awesome, I'll give 'em that).

You should definitely watch Endless Eight. I don't think I really appreciated just what they were trying to do with this adaptation until I finished that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

The chronological order is cannon. They actually listed it at the end of every episode of the first season, and the second season aired in that order.

ah, okay. didn't know/remember that stuff, thanks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I haven't watched this since they were new, but i have pretty fond memories of it. It was also one if if not the first thing i ever saw with fansubs.

Now's as good a time as any to re-visit it.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are yall really gonna watch endless eight

Namtab posted:

Nichijou is fine, but I don't think it's as good as people say

some good post for the trashcan there!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

PotU posted:

are yall really gonna watch endless eight

It's not really Haruhi without Endless Eight.

Hell, I remember the S2 thread getting really... interesting, back when it was first being broadcast.

Speaking of things from 6 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSg02Ll20s

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I...might watch haruhi. I'm in a bad mood right now so I'll decide later.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I...might watch haruhi. I'm in a bad mood right now so I'll decide later.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
hoping some noble gifmaster is ready to rise to the challenge

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
.jpeg already posts in this thread.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CuLT posted:

b) how people who weren't around for the 2006 hype view it.

it's a really well animated, directed waifu show

mabels big day posted:

Normie here. I've always held the OP as someone who has good taste, but when I see stuff about this anime it just looks like another high school girls anime, which never really interested me. People just say "its good" and that its a comedy with some drama in it, but I don't actually know what it's about. Am I missing something, or is it just what it is?

it's a really (really) well animated, directed high school girls waifu show

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Shame about the S2 ED, since everything else is straight fire.

tomare owns you loving shitlord

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

tomare owns you loving shitlord

Haruhi doesn't actually have a bad OP or ED.

Super Driver's a massive, massive step down from the first OP but it's still alright

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

.jpg posted:

I don't trust any of the posters with the weird teeth avs

They are jojo posters, the scum of VEGETA.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I enjoyed this show when it aired, I enjoyed the kerfuffle over E8, and I enjoyed the movie. I think I'm in.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Like, this show's probably not even in my top 5 for KyoAni, but it's solid and I look forward to watching some crazy high school action.

This is not because Haruhi is bad, but because KyoAni is so good.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 13, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

Yes, the books are chronological. Broadcast order was a great hook though and gave a lot more life to a story that otherwise would've peaked by the 6th episode and ended kind boring by the 12th (whether it was with Sighs or Someday in the Rain).

I wouldn't say they're completely chronological. The short story ones kind of muck it up, though it's possible they were in chronological order when they were first published in the magazine, before being compiled. The short story volumes though, are not chronological since Vol. 3 happens in between Vol 1 and 2, and Vol. 5 and 6 all happen before Vol. 4 which was Disappearance. What Season 1 essentially did was basically just cover Vol. 1, and filled up the rest of the season with most of the short stories from 3, 5, and 6, and ignored the 2 full books, Sighs and Disappearance for the most part. Sighs got combined with Endless Eight for season 2, and Disappearance became the movie. So there was some logic to why they aired s1 like they did.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 13, 2015

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Super Driver's a massive, massive step down from the first OP but it's still alright

YOU SHOULD YOU SHOULD BE QUIET

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

Don't mind if I do.

I feel like Haruhi is a series that survives off gimmicks and nostalgia. Your OP mentioning that it's the first TV anime you ever watched and your go-to "there's more than just DBZ to this anime thing, trust me" series is pretty telling.

Instead of having a show that's actually like, interesting and has stuff happen, they just have the gimmick of the different episode orders so the show appears to have more going on than it actually does, overly animated fight scenes that don't matter but sure look neat and really catchy theme songs so the show can spread memetically (edits of hare hare yukai or whatever comprised about half of nico nico in 2006). Combine this with it also being, as is your case, a lot of peoples first anime series that wasn't about punching things or a guy not having sex with various ladies and it gets put on a real pedestal of nostalgia that I simply don't feel it deserves unless you've only seen five series that didn't air on toonami (or your local equivalent, for the international readers out there).

Maybe the first season just sucks, and the later stuff is actually good because things happen and the characters stop being one dimensional (and even worse, totally unlikable) so there's any reason to give a poo poo on a level beyond the visuals and the voice acting being Pretty Good. But what I saw didn't impress me and gave me no reason to continue (endless eight sounds pretty awesome, I'll give 'em that).

Regardless, for those of you that DO enjoy this anime you have my blessing to continue liking things. God bless and namaste haruhi havers.

I think you misunderstood my DBZ reference. This is the first anime I watched ever, and and I saw it for the first time in 2011.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yeah, the chronological order is the basis of the books, but the S1 episodes are crafted in a very specific way that I think lose a lot in watching chronological. For the first viewing, at least. It's a good idea to revisit them chronologically if you're interested in a second viewing, and hell, that's exactly what they did for their second season.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've slept on it and decided: I'm going to watch Haruhi.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I've slept on it and decided: I'm going to watch Haruhi.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was going to update the OP with the broadcast order post but the mod already did. Thanks.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The chronological order is the canon order, yes, but the point of this is to experience the series as it was aired, and react accordingly. The 2009 rerun was chronological but we're going back to 2006 to start our simul

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually we're going to watch S1 broadcast, and then watch ALL the S2 broadcast (including S1 episodes).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The next ep trailers in season 1 even include conversations about the difference between broadcast and chronological order. It's part of the experience

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

Actually we're going to watch S1 broadcast, and then watch ALL the S2 broadcast (including S1 episodes).

Wow, really?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

Wow, really?

No

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU