Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

tonic posted:

Hit my 10GB cap on Cricket 8 days before the end of the month, was pleasantly surprised by how usable their throttled data is. Streaming Spotify/podcasts/NPR take a few seconds longer to start, but no stuttering. Win.

Like folks have been saying, it's faster throttled than Sprint's is even if you're the only person connected to the tower 100yds away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

IuniusBrutus posted:

How reliable is Cricket's service these days? Last time I was looking at switching it seemed like they were having issues with service outages.
It's exactly as good as AT&T's

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Every once in awhile my texts aren't delivered (to someone on at&t) but other than that no issues

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

IuniusBrutus posted:

How reliable is Cricket's service these days? Last time I was looking at switching it seemed like they were having issues with service outages.

There was a brief period with some hiccups but it's been solid ever since then.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Massasoit posted:

Every once in awhile my texts aren't delivered (to someone on at&t) but other than that no issues

I get delayed texts occasionally too, but it's SMS and only a moron uses that for something that needs to be communicated quickly. Otherwise v happy.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I've never noticed any outages in Northern California on Cricket. Only issue I've had is with that app to check by data usage occasionally not loading, usually in the evening.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.
cricket referral please!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tacosupreme posted:

cricket referral please!

https://refer.cricketwireless.com/5Vee30p

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Ever since the data hiccoughs last year (roughly October-December), Cricket service has been rock solid for me.

I did learn one thing that's irksome though: my LG G2 has a Lollipop update available, but Cricket doesn't push OTAs so I'll be stuck on 4.4 until such a time I decide to borrow a friend's ATT SIM. On the plus side, Kitkat is close to perfect for my needs and I've heard all sorts of Lollipop horror stories regarding the G2 so I'm not really in a hurry for change. I'm not sure if the lack of OTA updates is universal for Cricket or if I just have a model that they don't support.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

peterjmatt posted:

Ever since the data hiccoughs last year (roughly October-December), Cricket service has been rock solid for me.

I did learn one thing that's irksome though: my LG G2 has a Lollipop update available, but Cricket doesn't push OTAs so I'll be stuck on 4.4 until such a time I decide to borrow a friend's ATT SIM. On the plus side, Kitkat is close to perfect for my needs and I've heard all sorts of Lollipop horror stories regarding the G2 so I'm not really in a hurry for change. I'm not sure if the lack of OTA updates is universal for Cricket or if I just have a model that they don't support.

Is your G2 branded by a carrier?

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Yup, it's ATT branded. Are folks with carrier-free devices receiving OTA updates on Cricket?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

peterjmatt posted:

Yup, it's ATT branded. Are folks with carrier-free devices receiving OTA updates on Cricket?

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/D800_Info

Semi-seriously.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

I'm not actually that interested in updating to Lollipop (especially a CM version) due to a laundry list of horror stories I've read about the G2's stability on 5.0. I could pop in my wife's postpaid ATT SIM right now to trigger the OTA, but I'm currently very happy with my phone's performance and I'd rather not hobble it.
I was just curious if Cricket provides updates to other phones.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

peterjmatt posted:

CM12 on my LG G3 is pretty amazing vs stock Kit Kat. I'd recommend it as well. I'm also on Cricket with an ATT phone if that matters.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

peterjmatt posted:

Yes, carrier-free devices receive updates when they're pushed from the device manufacturer, not the carrier. My second Gen Moto G (for example) got the 5.0 update much before the cricket branded version did.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been getting updates on a nexus 5 on cricket

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Massasoit posted:

I've been getting updates on a nexus 5 on cricket

That's because updates get pushed out by Google, not a carrier.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, carrier-free devices receive updates when they're pushed from the device manufacturer, not the carrier. My second Gen Moto G (for example) got the 5.0 update much before the cricket branded version did.

While yes you will still (generally, based on reasons) get OTA updates on Cricket or any other prepaid carrier (as if the big carriers are good about pushing out updates anyway), if you're going to jump into the deep end of owning owning a non-contract phone for the purposes of throwing off the shackles of the oppressive Military-Carrier Complex, do consider Cyanogenmod or some other ROM. At least root your phone and get any bloatware off, where applicable. This has been your regular update from the People's Wireless Liberation Front.

If you're just prepaid because it's easy/cheap, probably disregard.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Thinking of heading to cricket from T-Mobile. I'm on the 40 buck plan, but I was a tard and somehow in my brain 3g became 3gb. Not 1gb.

Completely my fault, but I don't like only having a gig to play with, and it seems like cricket has a bigger service area.

So, are there any bad points to them I need to know about before swapping or any special deals? I was going to just port my number over. Probably go to Walmart and get a phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Thinking of heading to cricket from T-Mobile. I'm on the 40 buck plan, but I was a tard and somehow in my brain 3g became 3gb. Not 1gb.

Completely my fault, but I don't like only having a gig to play with, and it seems like cricket has a bigger service area.

So, are there any bad points to them I need to know about before swapping or any special deals? I was going to just port my number over. Probably go to Walmart and get a phone.

Get a referral from somebody and you'll both save $25 in 3 months. Kind of bummed they have a 10 referral limit for each year because I've had like 5 not go through. Had a nice string of months paying less than $10 per person.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

What's wrong with your current phone?

Also, here's a referral for you if you want it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's wrong with your current phone?

Also, here's a referral for you if you want it.

According to the website it'll only get 3g with em. It gets 4g lte on T-Mobile but I figured what the hell, it's been a while since I've upgraded my cell.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

According to the website it'll only get 3g with em. It gets 4g lte on T-Mobile but I figured what the hell, it's been a while since I've upgraded my cell.

Cricket's website lies about phone support. If it works on T-Mobile chances are very good it'll work on Cricket.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you buy the sim cards at Walmart by themselves?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This is some kind of thing they use to try and trick you into buying a phone from them/not wanting to guarantee 4G speed. They said my ATT LG G3 could not get LTE on Cricket which is complete horseshit. So you may want to at least try it out.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What phone do you have?

edit: nevermind apparently you have something called a Samsung Galaxy Light. It looks like it has bands 4 and 17 for LTE so it should get LTE on Cricket. I have no idea if that phone has to be unlocked to work on Cricket or if it already is unlocked.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 14, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That was another reason I was thinking of buying a new phone :)

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Can you buy the sim cards at Walmart by themselves?

Yes, and Gamestop. Oddly.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If I'm buying a Cricket sim from Walmart, will they charge me that BS $25 "activation" fee? Or is that only in Cricket stores?

If they do charge me that, I assume I should just order a SIM online?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If they charge you the activation fee, yes. You should order online.

I had to switch my SIM to a nanoSIM from a microSIM since getting a Nexus 6. The first Cricket store I went to wanted to charge me $45 instead of $10. Went to another store and got it set up fine.

Except now my tethering is blocked. :v: Oh well!

Also, Cricket stores apparently have no signal for their own phones... Must be low quality buildings.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Except now my tethering is blocked. :v: Oh well!

:pwn:

Do you know why?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

:pwn:

Do you know why?

No idea. :( It's off by default and if I try to turn it on, it says to go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611.

I think SIM cards at Cricket stores have this turned off by default...no idea if this pertains to online ordered cards as well.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Got a SIM from Gamestop. They just sold me the SIM for $7 or something weird, and didn't activate it. Awesome, I thought! Then I discover I can't activate online. Quick call to Cricket customer service, and they won't activate it for me - have to do it in store. I dig around a little online, find a number to call, and they activate it without any fee.

I am now waiting for my number to port over from T-Mobile to cricket, and it is...taking its time. No service at all on the cricket sim yet, and T-Mobile sim is fully active. How long does this take?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

No idea. :( It's off by default and if I try to turn it on, it says to go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611.

I think SIM cards at Cricket stores have this turned off by default...no idea if this pertains to online ordered cards as well.

Where did you get your N6? I thought all N6's were the same but some research suggests that there is indeed an AT&T version, which it sounds like you have since your tethering is trying to validate against the AT&T servers.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Where did you get your N6? I thought all N6's were the same but some research suggests that there is indeed an AT&T version, which it sounds like you have since your tethering is trying to validate against the AT&T servers.

Got it from SA Mart, actually. Not upset if it's the AT&T version though. How would I check for this and is it reversible?

Edit: Wait, there's no AT&T logo on the back.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 16, 2015

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Got it from SA Mart, actually. Not upset if it's the AT&T version though. How would I check for this and is it reversible?

Here's a thing on fixing it so your phone doesn't report tethering: https://pmf.silvrback.com/fixing-tethering-on-android-kitkat
The instructions are for kitkat, but it works for me on a lollipop Nexus 5.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does it have any AT&T software on it? I wonder if flashing the stock firmware straight from Google would allow you to tether. Of course I doubt you want to go through all of that for something you don't seem to have any interest in.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lazydog posted:

Here's a thing on fixing it so your phone doesn't report tethering: https://pmf.silvrback.com/fixing-tethering-on-android-kitkat
The instructions are for kitkat, but it works for me on a lollipop Nexus 5.

I can try this, yeah.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does it have any AT&T software on it? I wonder if flashing the stock firmware straight from Google would allow you to tether. Of course I doubt you want to go through all of that for something you don't seem to have any interest in.

It doesn't have AT&T software on it, no. It was 100% stock software when I booted it up. I don't care enough to go and do a flash from Google for it, but I've used it in the past when my internet was down.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Got a SIM from Gamestop. They just sold me the SIM for $7 or something weird, and didn't activate it. Awesome, I thought! Then I discover I can't activate online. Quick call to Cricket customer service, and they won't activate it for me - have to do it in store. I dig around a little online, find a number to call, and they activate it without any fee.

I am now waiting for my number to port over from T-Mobile to cricket, and it is...taking its time. No service at all on the cricket sim yet, and T-Mobile sim is fully active. How long does this take?

Not wanting this to get lost in my own convo, but this shouldn't take more than about 3 days max.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 16, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, Walmart didn't have any cricket stuff, so I'm heading to the not local cricket store because it was the only one with a phone number on the website.

There is a back to school sale going, so that means I can get the galaxy prime for the same price as Walmart. Might be a 5 dollar activation fee but eh, gently caress it.

Maybe by tonight I can have a new phone and more data! Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The adb shell command to unlock tethering didn't work. :(