Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given everything else there is to do i'm not super keen on making every single thing in existence just so that i can reliably eat stuff, so i'm gonna see about changing that variable for sure. thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

How did you get a rubber sapling? Just order random seeds bags and get phenomenally lucky?

You can find rubber trees in the wild, you just have to be quick and lucky with getting them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

given everything else there is to do i'm not super keen on making every single thing in existence just so that i can reliably eat stuff, so i'm gonna see about changing that variable for sure. thanks for the info!

No problem :)

One of the things I really like about (most) mods and modpacks is the config files that let you easily tweak settings to help you get the most fun out of things.

It's a single player vs multiplayer thing. If you have someone specializing in food production and generating a hugely varied diet, 500 is doable (economies of scale help a lot - instead of having to produce 7 of a kind of food then move on when diminishing returns kicks you in the teeth, you can make like 30 of them and split it between 4 people while they others are all out doing other stuff to bring in resources to the group), but if you're playing alone then trying to do that is rough.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 13, 2015

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm afraid that pure nodes only affect biomes at a very small radius, I believe it's like 5-7 blocks or something. If the taint managed to worm its way under your glass barrier (probably by growing through the caverns somewhere), then you're on a timer until it eats your whole outer dome leaving you only a very small area near the tree. Fortunately you're in alpha dome, so if you run due south a couple hundred blocks you'll find a marble shrine with a silverwood tree in it and four free ethereal blooms for you to steal.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my testing it looks like the way taint spreads is fibrous taint grows from other fibrous taint blocks, and any block that has fibrous taint on it (that isn't under the influence of a purifying source like a pure node or an ethereal bloom) will convert that block's biome to Tainted Land. Biomes are always infinitely tall columns stretching from bedrock to space, so building a floating platform in the sky won't keep you safe from taint, the fibrous taint will just grow across the surface under your platform and convert your platform's biome out from under you.

Fibrous taint can't grow onto transparent blocks like glass, or blocks with non-cube-shaped hitboxes, like half-slabs, doors, torches, etc. Most of the protection in the biodomes comes from the glass barrier, not the silverwood tree. I have only dug under alpha so far, but it appears that the biodomes also seem to have no caverns directly under them, which prevents fibrous taint from growing under the dome and spreading the taint. However there do appear to be a couple spots near the edge of alpha dome where there's a bit of cavern under them that will eventually get taint spreading into it. I don't know if this is just an alpha dome thing or if all the domes are similarly porous.

You're close on the mechanics of how things work. But you're wrong on the relative power of taint tendrils versus the bio-dome trees. The glass barrier protects you from hostile mob spawns, but doesn't do a drat thing to prevent taint spread because fibrous taint will poison the column it's on as well as nearby columns. The tree doesn't prevent hostile mobs from eating your face, but it protects your land against the taint because it's constantly trying to expand the magical forest biome generated by the tree. There's a fairly large twisting cave underneath Bio-dome Alpha that I harvest lava from, and the taint tendrils try to grow in further but then die because the tree at the center of the domes is quite powerful (especially compared to the trees at other scouting locations).

Additionally, fibrous taint can spawn out of thin air in Tainted Land biomes. There's a tunnel in my mines under Bio-dome Alpha that has exactly one block that has fibrous taint. If I break it it'll grow back by the time I go down that tunnel again.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Kill animals that spawn for meat, fill yourself up real well using that

use the anti-corruption plants to clean the islands of the Swamp Delta for massive animal spawns

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: the food thing, I'd also be fine with it if the amount it nerfed food by was toned down to have a minimum floor so that it couldn't hit a spot where food became worthless. I mean, if you're trapped on an alien planet, I don't care how many times you've eaten apples, you'll still eat apples if it's all you got.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So I take back what I said about the mines underneath beta having two spider spawners, cause I just popped a third :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Magres posted:

It's worth noting that it's 250 whole blips of hunger, not 250 halves. I just dug through SpiceOfLife.cfg to check (and with the intention of lowering the food history) and yeah.

If you want to change your food history value to something you find more fun (whether that's raising or lowering it) then you can do the following:

Open the Technic launcher, hit modpacks, click Blightfall. Towards the top right there will be a gear with "mod options" next to it (there's also one with "launcher options" which you don't want). There's an "Install Folder" option with Open and Move next to it, click Open, then open the config folder in your install folder, then open SpiceOfLife.cfg with a text editor and look for the following lines:

# The maximum amount of eaten foods stored in the history at a time
I:food.history.length=500

Change it to whatever value you like. I'm dropping mine to 200, which is 10 full bars of hunger, which seems like what will be fun for me because I'm not really into the Pam's Harvestcraft recipes and stuff. Hunger for me is basically a tax I pay to access the fun parts of Minecraft, to each their own.

Can I set one of those values to zero to turn Spice of Life off completely? Because I agree hunger is a dumb boring mechanic as it's used in Minecraft and I hate dealing with it, I'd be 100% happy just making a stack of bread and being done with the whole affair

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I don't know how it'd interact, so if you set it to 1 I think you would, at worst, need two stacks of food.

Changing from a positive integer to 0 or, really, just blindly setting variables to 0 is a good way to cause errors. I don't think there's any way it would gently caress your world up, but I don't know enough about minecraft to know for sure. I just know enough to rummage around through config files and read code commenting to adjust values.

E: vvvv food doesn't stop being nutritious but you can and will starve to death if you only eat one thing and you're missing stuff in there that you need. Like rabbit meat lacks a vital protein that is necessary for humans to live, and if your only source of protein is rabbit meat you'll eventually die from a lack of that protein.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 13, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Also it doesn't stop being nutritious. Seems the point of that mod is just to justify and force the player to make and eat all the new foods. Going to set mine to 1 and avoid the whole drat thing.

Is there actually any copper under Alpha Dome? Digging with a flint pick is taking forever, and I haven't found any redstone to speed up the process either.

So many stacks of worthless blocks. I get why the ore amounts are what they are but :negative:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Don't use copper for tools, save it for making techy stuff and use prometheum (the green metal) instead.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Promethium is also quite common. And Iron is hilariously common, once you get to the point that you can make pickaxe heads out of metals you can use Iron forever without worrying about it, then tech up in Thaumcraft (some of the spoilers I've posted will make you jump forward significantly in Thaumcraft, but be prepared to fight for them) to the point that you can make mossballs, and slap one on your favored pick. A high end TiCon pick with a mossball on it is the best way to mine high end ores without having to continually burn rare, high end ores on repairing your pick.

The mossball infusion ritual looks like kind of a pain, but that's reasonably balanced given how incredibly strong mossballs are in Blightfall.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Promethium is also quite common. And Iron is hilariously common, once you get to the point that you can make pickaxe heads out of metals you can use Iron forever without worrying about it, then tech up in Thaumcraft (some of the spoilers I've posted will make you jump forward significantly in Thaumcraft, but be prepared to fight for them) to the point that you can make mossballs, and slap one on your favored pick. A high end TiCon pick with a mossball on it is the best way to mine high end ores without having to continually burn rare, high end ores on repairing your pick.

The mossball infusion ritual looks like kind of a pain, but that's reasonably balanced given how incredibly strong mossballs are in Blightfall.

that one caught me, i wasted my resources on 9 moss stone thinking "heh heh i'm gonna have an autorepair pick" and then i got owned by it being gated behind thaumcraft :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah same, it wasn't in Blightfall 1. I abused the hell out of it and completely understand why Talonos and crew changed it, because it's by far the easiest way to do self-repairing tools. Manasteel is probably the easiest at this point. One thing that's kinda nice is that you get options though! You could do a repair enchanted pick of the core, which has an AWESOME right click ability but has not so great harvest level, you could do a Terrasteel pick that'll self repair but doesn't have the top harvest level, you could attach the Botania repair thing to a Tartarite pick (more mana intensive than terrasteel but has max harvest) or you can do a mossball on a TiCon pick with a Tartarite head. Options! I really enjoy that there's several different ways to make self-repairing tools, all with their upsides and downsides.

Personally my endgame goals for gear will be a mix of some Tinker's Construct, some Thaumcraft, and some Botania, and I really enjoy the fact that the three of them are reasonably well balanced against each other, partly because before the mossball and tool levelling nerfs (ie in Blightfall 1) there was literally no reason to use anything but Tinker's Construct tools because it was easy to slap a mossball or two on and level the thing to the point that it had enough modification slots to fit every single upgrade on there.

E: vvvv only problem with the bore is that it'll open up huge highways for taint to spread through if you don't secure it with Ethereal Blooms at regular intervals. Check out the Pickaxe of the Core, if you rightclick with it it'll show you where all the water, lava, and ores are in a huge radius around you at the cost of a little durability, and Thaumcraft has options to make a pick that's self-repairing with maxed Fortune and maxed Efficiency. If you spend half an hour to an hour underground with a good Pickaxe of the Core you'll come out of the trip with enough poo poo to last you for a week. I used to wonder how a friend of mine would go "hey I'm gonna go mine for a bit" and come back 20-30 minutes later with a stack of diamonds, three stacks of iron, a stack of gold, and a billion thaumcraft shards. Then I played with the Pick :getin:

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 13, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

So I take back what I said about the mines underneath beta having two spider spawners, cause I just popped a third :stare:

Yeah, I've found three myself. Haven't really explored that strenuously though. Just getting started on Thaumcraft stuff and gonna try to beeline my way to an arcane bore for sanity reasons.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
RE: the glass domes and the taint protection, I think there's something more to it than the pure node. The area doesn't turn into magical forest, it seems to clean taint like an ethereal bloom instead. It's a circular area instead of the squares Thaumcraft uses, too. I'm guessing there's some kind of extra code involved for those specific silverwoods, or some biome control feature in a mod for those locations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

E: vvvv only problem with the bore is that it'll open up huge highways for taint to spread through if you don't secure it with Ethereal Blooms at regular intervals.

I've never really used the thaumcraft bore, but can't you aim it straight down? That seems like it would prevent the taint problem by just plopping one down next to the bore.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

I've never really used the thaumcraft bore, but can't you aim it straight down? That seems like it would prevent the taint problem by just plopping one down next to the bore.

Fair, I'm dumb and hadn't thought of that

E: Yeah gold never stops being a fucker to find :(

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 13, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

blightfall is hard

i can't find enough gold to make a thaumometer :smithfrog:

(aluminium brass worked well for making casts)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Glory of Arioch posted:

blightfall is hard

i can't find enough gold to make a thaumometer :smithfrog:

(aluminium brass worked well for making casts)

Played some number of hours yesterday and have yet to find any aluminum, gold, or copper.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Light Gun Man posted:

Played some number of hours yesterday and have yet to find any aluminum, gold, or copper.

yeah i found like one copper (and requisitioned the one ingot i used to make the aluminium brass) but I did find a bunch of aluminium under swamp delta (near a lava lake underneath, it was pretty shallow)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found out what's going on with Cooked chicken and Raw calamari. It's not sharing food history with anything- you have a food history already when you start the map! Check out Epic Bacon.

There's a little gold relatively easily found under Beta.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
^^ that might be stuff Talonos ate while testing the map, maybe?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The intent with the metals is that you get some basic stocks of it from mining and the rest either from requisitions in the quest log or through Thaumcraft transmutation, I think.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is it reasonable to (almost) completely ignore TiCon after the introductory bits? I'd just as soon not do the casting/smelting thing again in a modpack.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Is it reasonable to (almost) completely ignore TiCon after the introductory bits? I'd just as soon not do the casting/smelting thing again in a modpack.

You'll probably want to keep upgrading your pick head, but other than that, you can ignore most of it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

it's the only source of ore doubling until you can generate RF or research sufficient thaumcraft (they disabled the AE grindstone) so you will probably wanna keep using it just for that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

it's the only source of ore doubling until you can generate RF or research sufficient thaumcraft (they disabled the AE grindstone) so you will probably wanna keep using it just for that

Yargle wargle bargle piss. Going down to get lava all the drat time was the other irritating part of that that I always forget until I have to do it.

Maybe I can creative in a pulverizer and energy cell :v: (nah)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you make a portable tank (takes 1 copper, 4 glass) it'll hold 8 buckets of lava and you can just go down to your lava lake, fill your tank, then be set for lava for like 150 ores

If you get 4 invar, you can make a reinforced tank that'll hold 32 buckets of lava and be set for a looong time

E: Yeah I just tossed together a portable tank and it makes smeltery lava trivial

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 14, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

If you only want to use it for metal doubling, it's fairly easy to automate that. Have a hopper pointing into the controller you shove your ores into; have a tempered fluiduct outputting into a casting basin, then have an idemduct outputting from the bottom of that into a chest.

Then just make sure when loading it up to do it in multiples of nine (if it's a stack, take 1 ore out to make it 63) and it'll take care of itself.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Protip: Spice of Life can be turned off by setting B:food.modifier.enabled=true to false in the .cfg file.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Yargle wargle bargle piss. Going down to get lava all the drat time was the other irritating part of that that I always forget until I have to do it.

Maybe I can creative in a pulverizer and energy cell :v: (nah)

you can actually requisition an energy cell, refills for the energy cell, and you could roll the dice on machine bags and pray for a pulverizer :v:

(you can also requisition an entire (small) nuclear reactor which I thought was pretty cool)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh, something cool I found while messing with the options in VoxelMap:

Open the main map with M, then go to options > details/performance and click biome overlay until it says "transparent"

this will draw purple/not purple over whatever's on your minimap, which I find pretty useful for staying inside the purified zones where I'm mining

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah the biome map is incredibly useful for cleaning areas.

Also holy poo poo it feels good when you find Platinum ore, dig it up, and find Ferrous ore underneath. :hellyeah:

If anyone wants to know where, poke around down towards the bottom of the mineshaft underneath beta or if you want coordinates, 444, 1712, 18

There's also some gold down there, because it's really hard to have enough gold - you need like 15+ bars to get a full thaumcraft setup going

E: Holy cow, if you haven't already, go look at Volume 1 of the materials books. Tells you spawn locations for everything you're capable of mining. Good stuff!

E2: Jesus this makes finding nether ores so much more pleasant, before I just blindly stumbled around the drat nether area being grumpy

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 14, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i made the mistake of climbing to the top of the big obsidian tower with the blood altar :rip:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i made the mistake of climbing to the top of the big obsidian tower with the blood altar :rip:

... when I first played that was one of the safest areas in blightfall. What's up there now? :ohdear:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

So tempted to put in Ex Nhilo just so I cam get a crucible lava farm going but the temptation to just make an auto sifting setup and never leave the dome would be too great

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

President Ark posted:

... when I first played that was one of the safest areas in blightfall. What's up there now? :ohdear:

let's just say that the dev probably realized it was a little too safe for what it was

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The pack is getting updates but there is no changelog posted. C'mon Technic changelogs are not hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I just spent an hour digging from the lowest surface point in alpha dome over to the other side, flattening it out. It's still not done (need to replace some stone with dirt, finish the digging, and figure out a decent farm set up using the one water block I have), but with just the amount I've done... I feel less stressed.

I think there's something wrong with me.