Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
This show is fantastic and every episode delivers.

Solice Kirsk posted:

we're hearing everything through Eliot's point of view.

Yeah this is important to consider, because especially in the last episode Elliot really points this out. We (the audience) were created by Elliot, and we're basically at the mercy of his delusions. As to who Mr. Robot is, I like the 50/50 Ghost Dad/Real Dad theory, except that I do think his dad is dead and the "real" person is somebody else. Just like how we hear "E Corp" as "Evil Corp" maybe Mr. Robot is somebody entirely different that hasn't been revealed yet, but Elliot sees him as a father-figure so it is projected to us in that way. Elliot is starting to talk to the audience a bit more and even apologizing to us (like that scene where he hides the login window before Gideon reaches his desk). We really can't say for sure what is reality and what is part of Elliot's delusion, because we're seeing this through his eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They're really nailing the Unreliable Narrator. This is great!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Steve112sms posted:

He only looked a lot younger in a few of the pictures where he's by himself. He looks about the same to me in the pictures with child Elliot. Down to the same glasses and jacket. I assumed the pictures were just his dad when he was younger.

He has gray hair now and doesn't in the pictures of Elliot as a kid.

He might have faked his own death considering what we know about him dying was kind of odd, like the whole thing where Elliot wasn't supposed to tell anyone that he was sick.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

muscles like this? posted:

He has gray hair now and doesn't in the pictures of Elliot as a kid.

Someone posted the whole album of pictures. I honestly have no idea what to think at this point.

http://imgur.com/a/IN6EH

I think there are scenes where it makes a lot of sense for it to be head Mr Robot (the loving STAIRCASE scene and showing up at Allsafe) and for it to be real Mr Robot (when he pulled a gun on Angelo).

Waynebo fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 13, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of hard to judge age with Christian Slater in the first place since he's looked pretty much the same since the 80s.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When they flashed Mr. Robots face on him in the mirror I think that was a pretty big indicator that at least some of the scenes with him were in his head.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Solice Kirsk posted:

When they flashed Mr. Robots face on him in the mirror I think that was a pretty big indicator that at least some of the scenes with him were in his head.

They flashed Angela's face too though I thought? And Shayla?

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

They flashed Sam Esmail's face too so uhh

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Faking his own death doesn't seem out of the question considering how good Elliot is at erasing his own life. Like father, like son. That being said, I'm honestly not sure myself and it's great.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

muscles like this? posted:

He might have faked his own death considering what we know about him dying was kind of odd, like the whole thing where Elliot wasn't supposed to tell anyone that he was sick.

I feel this is slightly more likely than Elliot's unreliable brain/narration subbing Dead Mom for Dead Dad.

I mean -- surely Angela, The Best Friend From Childhood Who's Also Friends With Darlene, would have been around to pick up that it wasn't Elliot's mom that died? Maybe gone to the funeral herself? I don't see how she could believe the story that it was his dad who got cancer and retell it to others.

Unless, of course, they all know Elliot's a high-functioning schizophrenic and everyone just plays along because it's easier that way. Which is completely plausible, to be honest. At this point I genuinely don't know where they're going. It's wonderful!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC Angela and Elliot didn't meet each other until after the death because it was part of the whole lawsuit thing. Although I think she would know which parent died.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

SpaceAceJase posted:

Ghost Dad. Sister incest. Inner monologue.

Awfully similar to Dexter.

This is my Dad's first impression from episode one, that and that it sounds like Elliot is perpetually on too much Vicodin.

Dance Marine posted:

Do you think perhaps that Elliot received some kind of brain damage as a child, courtesy of Evil Corp?

Evil Corp vaccines gave him autism.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Good Will Hrunting posted:

They flashed Angela's face too though I thought? And Shayla?

No Shayla. Wellick, Angela, RoboDad, fsociety mask and someone that might be Darlene. I went through it at something like one-eighth speed to check.

That hoodie makes everyone but Slater look really different.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The best part is that it makes all the previous weird interactions between him and Darlene make sense. Especially when she shows up at his apartment the first few times.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
My brain has been so conditioned to just accept tech stuff on TV as laughably fake that when he runs commands like ps aux and ls -l I say "Heh, nice" to myself.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Waynebo posted:

Someone posted the whole album of pictures. I honestly have no idea what to think at this point.

http://imgur.com/a/IN6EH

I think there are scenes where it makes a lot of sense for it to be head Mr Robot (the loving STAIRCASE scene and showing up at Allsafe) and for it to be real Mr Robot (when he pulled a gun on Angelo).
Ugh. On the one hand, I can see Sam Esmail making sure that things like "at what angle the picture is being taken from to represent height" and "why there seem to be photos from long ago (NES w/Elliot kid) and why there seem to be recent photos (Mr. Robot with PS3 controller)" are all done on absolute purpose. On the other hand, why does there seem to be two sets of timelines in those photos? At this point I have to give the show the benefit of the doubt and say it's all on purpose.

For someone who doesn't like following Father's rules (No phone number sharing) Darlene does a great job of never calling Mr. Robot "Dad." After someone up-thread mentioned Elliot having a twin I suddenly got the idea that maybe Mr. Robot is the twin of Elliot's dad.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 13, 2015

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I think they played really well on audience members assuming Darlene was some dream pixie hacker girl archetype to compartmentalize her behavior instead of actually looking into it and that's just one of many capitalizations of trope that this show has utilized so effectively

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

This show is so good and I hope it can continue being this good in the next season.

I also can't believe I didn't recognize B.D. Wong until the conversation was almost over.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steakmancer posted:

I think they played really well on audience members assuming Darlene was some dream pixie hacker girl archetype to compartmentalize her behavior instead of actually looking into it and that's just one of many capitalizations of trope that this show has utilized so effectively

I couldn't think of a way to explain why the reveal worked so well to my roommates, but this sums it up perfectly. Thank you!

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

BD Wong is looking drat good for 54

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The specific reason Angela incidentally mentioned BTTF2 as Elliot's favorite movie a few episodes ago was because while BTTF is about preserving the integrity of the past, the sequel is about averting a dark future where a monolithic corporate evil empire (BiffCo) has tainted the world with greed, corruption and deceit. The future year in turmoil? 2015.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Christian Slater is even wearing a jacket that says "Mr. Robot" in some of those pictures.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
Was it ever explained in depth exactly why Elliot was seeing a therapist in the first place?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lumis posted:

Was it ever explained in depth exactly why Elliot was seeing a therapist in the first place?

Not in depth but I think I remember something about it being court ordered.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
My main issue with the whole "faked his death and is actually real" angle is how do you fake dying from cancer? I mean you can certainly pretend you have cancer while not having it, but at some point you'd have to, you know, actually die or at least get really sick. It's not like Elliot's dad could just disappear one day and everyone would've gone "Oh well I guess he drove himself to the hospital and died." Not to mention the funeral they presumably had. It's certainly not impossible because it is ultimately just a TV show, but them just blurting out "Yeah I'm your dad surprise" would really go against the way they've presented the Mr Robot character so far. I kind of hope they don't actually answer any questions about him and he just somehow continues to be a mystery that could easily go either way.

Also in one of those pictures SlaterDad is reading Elliot "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler", which is about a sister and brother running away from their suburban home and going to a museum in Manhattan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, remember he only told Elliot he was dying of cancer and swore him to secrecy. It only became a thing when Elliot told other people about it. So he could have been planning something else and Elliot screwed it up, forcing him to go through a charade of "dying of cancer." If he was also a good hacker we can assume he did exactly the same thing Elliot did and hacked into a hospital to fake results.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Right, but like I said at some point he would have to actually, you know, pretend to die. How do you fake dying from being sick from cancer without actually dying or having your loved ones see your not-dead body? Even in the realm of TV show super hacking that seems just a little bit out there.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Every time I think I have all the answers, this show changes the questions

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Fun fact: B.D. Wong won a Tony for playing Song Liling in M. Butterfly.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wow, I just discovered that Forbes does a weekly recap of each episode with the show's technical consultant, where he defends in detail the accuracy of every hack depicted on the show. For this last ep he explains how destroying all of Evil Corps' servers would actually be plausible.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/abigailtracy/2015/08/12/white-rose-and-the-honeypot-mr-robot-episode-8-reality-check/

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Waynebo posted:

If you follow the "Elliot is on serious meds and abuses morphine due to mental issues" then the staircase and Allsafe could be REAL robot too though? You could spin no one reacting to Robot's presence at AllSafe to the fact that they see it as a normal occurrence (but Elliot does not). If Mr. Robot really is that close and has long standing ties to Elliot, then it stands to reason he'd have access to Elliot's apartment and knows the entry code.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
If Elliot can completely forget that Darlene is his sister, I think it's entirely plausible that Mr. Robot is real and Elliot's mind is misremembering or creating fictitious details about his "death".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seems like he's forgot his sister before as well, so that makes everything and everyone we've met somewhat suspect. Its been a really long time since a show has gripped me as much as this one. I don't even know what to think at all anymore. I just can't wait to see where this all leads in the next two episodes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"My father is dead!"

"To me. Dead to me."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Seems like he's forgot his sister before as well, so that makes everything and everyone we've met somewhat suspect.

I don't think were due for Elliot's version of this scene quite yet.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.
You all seem weirdly confident in the faked death idea. As far as I can tell, the only evidence for it is, "Christian Slater has slightly less grey hair in some of the pictures." Hell, there's grey hair in his beard in this picture right here:

Not to mention the same jacket and glasses. I guess he just didn't age at all in 15+ years and wears the same poo poo?
I mean, it's possible, I guess, but there's still a ton of evidence to support the idea that it's all in his head and no real reason to doubt it.

Take Tyrell's interaction with Mr. Robot earlier in the episode. They clearly know one another, but up to this point there's been no indication they should know each other. In fact, in an earlier episode the others in F Society were shocked when they heard Elliot knew him. I guess it's possible Mr. Robot had some secret side deal with him and revealed some other secret to him, but it makes a lot more sense if that was just Elliot and the secret is that Tyrell knows his motivation for pinning Colby was petty revenge. Also, when Tyrell talks about it with his wife later, he basically only mentions Elliot and again the revenge angle and makes no mention of Mr. Robot.

Then there's the fact that everyone gives Elliot 100% credit for everything and it being obvious to everyone White Rose would want to meet him specifically. Sure, Elliot came up with the plan, but if Elliot's dad is real, isn't he basically the leader who got everyone together? And no one mentions him ever or acknowledges any of that? Or of course the fact that whenever Elliot is around, no one ever interacts with Mr. Robot, but instead with Elliot. His own daughter just constantly ignores him?

Am I missing something here? Is there something beyond the grey hair bit people are relying on for the faked death theory? Because that seems really...weak.

Steve112sms fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 13, 2015

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The specific reason Angela incidentally mentioned BTTF2 as Elliot's favorite movie a few episodes ago was because while BTTF is about preserving the integrity of the past, the sequel is about averting a dark future where a monolithic corporate evil empire (BiffCo) has tainted the world with greed, corruption and deceit. The future year in turmoil? 2015.

Not to nitpick, but the Biffco stuff happened in alternate 1985. In 2015 Biff was getting punked by his grandson and made to wax his car. Pretty sure your point still stands though, doubt they chose that particular movie for no reason whatsoever.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I gotta admit, this was a really good episode. But unless this show can prove by next week that Sam Esmail has a truly satisfying ending in mind and it'll never spin its wheels on the way to that ending then I'm gonna have to drop it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You won't even just finish out the season? There's only two more episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This loving show :psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

My guess is that Elliot's dad faked his death and Mr. Robot is really him. Elliot forgot about his father but still vaguely recognized Mr. Robot, and that confusion is the reason why Elliot is so fixated on him to the point of hallucinating about him. Really interested in seeing where they take things from here.

• Locked thread