Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Chand0X posted:

Colbert's marquee is now up in NYC:

That abomination of a logo is officially not a placeholder, then.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Uh why keep the "with" on the front?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

really interested to see the set

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah the logo doesn't do it for me, but I guess if the show is good it'll grow on me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

From Last Week Tonight's intro for about a split second

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Can't wait for LtheATE SH(with)W Stephen Colbert

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wish they'd stuck with The Late Show with Starring Stephen Colbert.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So Jeb Bush is going to be Stephen's first guest on the late show. Kind've a risky choice for but of them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

So Jeb Bush is going to be Stephen's first guest on the late show. Kind've a risky choice for but of them.

He's been doing a bunch of promos with Mitt Romney on his Youtube channel too. It's kinda weird!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm assuming that someone, either from the show itself or the network, wants to show that Colbert isn't doing the same liberal satire stuff as on his old show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It turns out Colbert was a Republican pretending to be a Democrat doing an exaggerated impression of a Republican all along.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeb Bush and Kendrick Lamar in the same episode. What a weird first show.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Seth Meyers is sitting for his monologues now!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/12/arts/television/seth-meyers-decides-to-take-a-seat-to-deliver-his-late-night-monologue.html?_r=0

pwn
May 27, 2004

quote:

But now Mr. Meyers, in his second year as host of NBC’s “Late Night,” is the first of his broadcast network peers to dispense with it
Not true. Kimmel sat for his monologue when he first started doing his show.

pwn
May 27, 2004

"Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is a talk show dying right in front of you!"

Since its inception 18 months ago, Meyers' Late Night has completely remodeled their set (with a major revision to the band area prior to the new set,) shortened the opening theme, altered the loving format to a sitting monologue which is more reminiscent of a warmed-over Weekend Update rehearsal than a monologue, and the bandleader has been absent roughly 12 of those 18 months.

...yeah, things aren't going too well for the show.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

According to Variety it's going to be George Clooney.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/stephen-colbert-trump-musical-guest-cbs-tca-1201567110/

one of the best bits from the article

quote:

“Daily Show” producers asked Colbert to deliver an on-air thank you to Stewart — something he knew would make Stewart squirm.

“I told producers he’s going flop around like a fish on the dock,” he said. “I felt like a rodeo clown trying to keep him on the stage.”

Afterwards, when the “Daily Show” alumni correspondents gathered around him in a big bear hug, Colbert revealed: “We were all chanting ‘Made him cry,'” he said. “It might be my favorite thing I did on the show.”

also some talk about the renovation of the Ed Sullivan Theater

quote:

He did offer insight into the remodeling of the Ed Sullivan Theater, which has been restored to highlight the venue’s original 1920s architecture. He said it looks more like a traditional Broadway theater now rather than a TV studio because production technology has improved so much that sound and lighting equipment doesn’t need to be as prominent.

Colbert said he spent a day in the office with David Letterman about 10 days before Letterman signed off the show in May. Colbert asked Letterman a barrage of questions about doing the show. The two put away a few bottles of water during the process (“the hard stuff,” he joked).

At one point, “I asked him do you mind me asking you these questions? He said ‘No. Nobody ever asked me these questions before.’ It was a very gracious way for him to say that only the person sitting in that chair would care about the answers.”

At Letterman’s suggestion, Colbert has moved the desk on the set to the other side of the stage, he added.

Colbert also said Letterman made a point of showing him how to operate the brass-handled freight elevator that Letterman used to go from his office to the “Late Show” stage floor. The symbolism was not lost on Colbert. He said ‘there it is. Now it’s waiting for you.’ “

I'm actually kinda excited for it now. Conan's been off and on the past few weeks following Comic-Con- the interview with Ice Cube and his son was very good, though. I don't even bother looking at Fallon or Kimmel these days. Colbert and Noah will bring some good stuff, I think.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 13, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

pwn posted:

Since its inception 18 months ago, Meyers' Late Night has completely remodeled their set (with a major revision to the band area prior to the new set,) shortened the opening theme, altered the loving format to a sitting monologue which is more reminiscent of a warmed-over Weekend Update rehearsal than a monologue, and the bandleader has been absent roughly 12 of those 18 months.

Carson Daly should strike while that failure iron is hot!

Or, do nothing and let Seth sink into the murky brine because Carson has other things more important than 1:36am horseshit.

Far more better than Seth has on his plate.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
My guess is that Seth only got that gig so that NBC (with Lorne Michael's blessing) could hold onto him until Lorne finally decides to retire, so that he'll be available to take over for him.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
quick interview with jay leno http://www.tvinsider.com/article/34180/jay-leno-on-his-tv-return-the-current-late-night-landscape-and-why-he-didnt-do-dave/

quote:

I think that’s Jimmy Kimmel’s problem. I think he’s a talented guy, I think he’s funny. But he has a mean streak, and it comes across. He does this thing where he takes Halloween candy from kids and the kids cry. What am I missing here? It is funny I guess, but it’s mean-based. I think that’s why he’s not higher in the ratings.
still bitter over kimmel's appearance on your show, eh?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't care for Leno at all, but I pretty much agree with the entirety of that quote. I've never seen the bit in question but it doesn't really sound funny at all just kind of lovely.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Bleep bloop I don't understand the humor of practical jokes. I am an autism robot. Bleep bloop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

Bleep bloop I don't understand the humor of practical jokes. I am an autism robot. Bleep bloop.

You're projecting way too hard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

jay leno did something along those lines too, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_KyHSHJ9VE

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't care for Kimmel because I've always felt like he's an outsider desperately trying to act like he's one of the gang, especially when he forcibly inserted himself in the Conan/Leno/Letterman drama years ago. He's been around long enough now this opinion is probably pretty outdated though, considering he's the longest running current late night host.

I always thought that Leno's Jay Walking segments were far, far meaner than anything Kimmel ever did. We're going to ask you 200 questions, and then air the 3 you didn't get right so you look literally retarded. This is hilarious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't care for Kimmel because have you SEEN his loving show holy poo poo

I tuned in back when they had the exclusive GotG trailer and it's one of the most excruciating talk show experiences I've ever seen. I'd watch Leno over that poo poo any day of the week.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kimmel's prerecorded stuff is really good + funny

his interviews can be downright painful though. He got Dave on his goddamn show- who never goes ANYWHERE- and the interview was just horrid and awkward in a not fun way.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Kimmel's prerecorded stuff is really good + funny

his interviews can be downright painful though. He got Dave on his goddamn show- who never goes ANYWHERE- and the interview was just horrid and awkward in a not fun way.

Kimmel is like the boss' nephew who is given a job in your department to keep him out of trouble. He doesn't do much and usually just gets in the way, but you can't report him because, you know, he's the boss' nephew.

pwn
May 27, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't care for Kimmel because I've always felt like he's an outsider desperately trying to act like he's one of the gang, especially when he forcibly inserted himself in the Conan/Leno/Letterman drama years ago. He's been around long enough now this opinion is probably pretty outdated though, considering he's the longest running current late night host.
gently caress, did Conan retire this past weekend?

Agreed with your second point though. Jaywalking took Steve Allen's routine and said, "hey, what if we approach this like horrible tools? eh, eh?"

The real cynicism of Jaywalking was that you knew people were playing it up for the camera. If you don't act like you can't add 2+2, you don't get on TV. Play it right, and you can be a Jaywalking All-Star!! :haw:

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 14, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

He knows why take candy when you can take peoples shows?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

bobkatt013 posted:

He knows why take candy when you can take peoples shows?

Kimmel is actually the type of guy to fire back so I pray he does something on his show soon.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

pwn posted:

Yeah the entire Seth Meyers Late Night experiment seems awful. For whatever you think of Fallon, at least he rolled up his sleeves, got the right people in there and made a show that was new and fit him. I think it worked a lot better at 12:30 but that is NBC for you. Jimmy is that retarded cousin you have that you can't stand him 90% of the time but he is just so happy all the time that other 10% of the time makes him endearing. Seth is your coworker who is straight laced enough that makes upper management love him but lacks any sort of edge or anything interesting to connect with anyone he works with. You know the guy who will come up to you and ask you about the "big game" even though you know nothing about sports and then spend 10 minutes talking about how wonderful his life and family are, yet sounds like the worst place in hell to you?

I think Jimmy surrounded himself with the best people to do a show with, Seth surrounded himself with his friends and it shows.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think we've just reached the quota for late-night hosts doing the exact same shtick without changing the formular: Conan and Kimmel are enough. I'm kinda glad Meyers is failing, because the format has been in dire need for reinvention for a long time. Consider that the New York Times dedicated an ENTIRE article to the "news" that Meyers will no do his monologues sitting. US late night is ridiculous.

It's going to be interesting to see how well Colbert manages to stand out. I don't really have any expectations for his show, but we know he's talented and knows his improv.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

man conan had john sununu and kevin bacon on

that's a great lineup for a late 80's episode

(his interviews were fun though)

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

man conan had john sununu and kevin bacon on

Was John Sununu on his way to for coming back from a haircut when he dropped by?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Conan's always better when his guest isn't an A-lister (or an attractive woman) but yeah Sununu is a depressing "get" regardless.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

he made up for it today

Patrick Stewart's interview was really fun

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 18, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagQVJuM-K0

new teaser for Trevor Noah

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Jordan Schlansky is so loving goddamned good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frostwerks posted:

Jordan Schlansky is so loving goddamned good.
Yeah that bit was hilarious. The way Conan was setting it up though, I thought he was gonna announce that Jordan was leaving :smith: I got really sad for a second there because I was thinking "Well who the hell is he gonna have left?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Teamcoco.com has gotten worse and worse over the past like... 2 weeks. Can't even watch the full Bill episode.