Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

thats looks xtermly bad

:pram:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
afaik u cant set ZOIPER to use the GNOME theme... #fail. also cant set it to always on top due to same.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
witness the power and freedom of the mint xfce desktop

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
xfce has a picture of a mouse or something on it and it sux0rs teh big 1

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because ZOIPER doesnt look like it uses gtk. it looks like some horrible custom toolkit

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ubuntu sucks!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
wow i remember right. look at this fail

GAS

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bobbilljim posted:

god i forgot how horrible xfce looks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Celexi posted:

ubuntu sucks!!

fedora supremacy :worship:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

because ZOIPER doesnt look like it uses gtk. it looks like some horrible custom toolkit

zoipers a real POS thats for sure. i think its a wine port or something

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

still waiting on a cli program that makes staging / unstaging on the chunk/line level as easy as gitx/gitcola/etc.

magit.el

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol emacs good troll :cheerdoge:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
magit is amazing

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
every time i install a linux, there are mundane tasks associated with getting poo poo setup. is there a way to record those mundane things and play them back automatically for when i set up a linux the next time? time between linux janitorings is a year or two. as i type this out i realize that maybe "shell scripts" is the answer.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its called ansible

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Celexi posted:

god i forgot how horrible xfce looks

yeah most people use linux for teh look + feel :rolleyes:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

every time i install a linux, there are mundane tasks associated with getting poo poo setup. is there a way to record those mundane things and play them back automatically for when i set up a linux the next time? time between linux janitorings is a year or two. as i type this out i realize that maybe "shell scripts" is the answer.

ansible, kickstart, etc etc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a desktop linux user. apting this. nanoing that. how did i have gnome set up last time? why wont my video card work? .. a modern day sisyphus

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
we develop on linux at work and i do 99% of my work by just sshing into my linux laptop from my macbook

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

pram posted:

a desktop linux user. apting this. nanoing that. how did i have gnome set up last time? why wont my video card work? .. a modern day sisyphus

except sisyphus forgets the terrible time he had after the boulder rolls back down, right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

we develop on linux at work and i do 99% of my work by just sshing into my linux laptop from my macbook

that is the proper way to use a linux

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dired-mode is real good and also easy

renaming a file is as simple as editing 'ls' output and saving

you have to do M-x dired-enable-editing or some poo poo first, I don't remember.

edit: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Wdired.html

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

the real answer is puppet or chef

shell scripts seem like the answer until you start adding error handling and subroutines and you have a 5,000 line code base that requires a full time cj

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 13, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
this is probably a real bad idea but i'd like some replacement text editor recommendations

i use nedit. what's good about it: actual graphical text editor with semi standard gui features and sane (read: not emacs) shortcuts, excellent rectangular cut/paste/fill, handles 100+MB text files without choking, has verilog & system verilog syntax coloring, and most important of all the regex capable search/replace dialog box is more usable than anything i've encountered anywhere else. it's not that it's fancy (it isn't), what i like is that it is insanely easy to drive from just the keyboard, moreso than anything else i've found in other editors. also the nigh infinite history of past search/replace strings is p. good.

nedit's problem, and the reason i hope to find a replacement: it is a dead project. dead dead dead. fell victim to the linux toolkit wars / cadt development methodology. the authors decided to give up after it became clear that it was either going to be a rewrite from the ground up for a new toolkit or they'd be condemned to an eternal hell of trying to work around problems in their ancient toolkit. nedit hasn't seen an update in years, looks klunky these days, and it's only a matter of time before $shitty_new_distro breaks it enough that it's useless.

so... anyone know of any editors with the properties i like?

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

BobHoward posted:

this is probably a real bad idea but i'd like some replacement text editor recommendations

i use nedit. what's good about it: actual graphical text editor with semi standard gui features and sane (read: not emacs) shortcuts, excellent rectangular cut/paste/fill, handles 100+MB text files without choking, has verilog & system verilog syntax coloring, and most important of all the regex capable search/replace dialog box is more usable than anything i've encountered anywhere else. it's not that it's fancy (it isn't), what i like is that it is insanely easy to drive from just the keyboard, moreso than anything else i've found in other editors. also the nigh infinite history of past search/replace strings is p. good.

nedit's problem, and the reason i hope to find a replacement: it is a dead project. dead dead dead. fell victim to the linux toolkit wars / cadt development methodology. the authors decided to give up after it became clear that it was either going to be a rewrite from the ground up for a new toolkit or they'd be condemned to an eternal hell of trying to work around problems in their ancient toolkit. nedit hasn't seen an update in years, looks klunky these days, and it's only a matter of time before $shitty_new_distro breaks it enough that it's useless.

just give up and learn vim already.

(actually i used to be a nedit user, and moving to vim turned out to be a great decision)

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

it's official guys. you really aren't running linux if you don't have an animes background.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

:barf:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

b0red posted:

it's official guys. you really aren't running linux if you don't have an animes background.

IRIX ships with cat-girl anime backgrounds, or at least thats what you'd think based on the community. nice people -- someone from nekochan once gave me an Octane with a full IRIX cd set and MIPS pro compiler. he could have sold the CDs on eBay for ~$100 probably. after playing with it for a few weeks I tossed it tho because being in possession of some internet weirdo's hard drives seemed like a bad idea.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the real answer is puppet or chef

shell scripts seem like the answer until you start adding error handling and subroutines and you have a 5,000 line code base that requires a full time cj

cool thanks. these are a bit too much for me, but its still interesting to learn about. i didn't know that this kind of stuff was a thing!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what teh gently caress is a nethogs

also what are some goofy commandline shits i can install on teh yostop

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bobbilljim posted:

sure doesn't have to look like cow poo poo

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

BobHoward posted:

one of my friends swears by textadept. sounds like it ticks most of your boxes, and it supports a bunch of languages so verilog is probably in there somewhere.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

i do

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

the touch
the feel
of autism (of autism)
a nix without jony ives

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the real answer is puppet or chef ansible

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jesus bsd is goddamn dumb. does desktop linux even come with ruby. hurr install redis, postgres, rabbitmq, nginx, and 10 assorted daemons on your desktop linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ruby is dead so yeah Linux probably has it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
how the gently caress are you going to bootstrap chef, or puppet, onto a desktop linux system, bsd. how. should he automate that too? should he make the image before he installs it on his undoubtedly lovely computer? should he run a kickstart and pxe server? should he use foreman too..

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

how the gently caress are you going to bootstrap chef, or puppet, onto a desktop linux system, bsd. how. should he automate that too? should he make the image before he installs it on his undoubtedly lovely computer? should he run a kickstart and pxe server? should he use foreman too..

make a docker with ansible and have it provision the host machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ur gonna need to install dicker but lol if your distro isnt running a docker daemon out of the box