Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Never read the books so I'm not sure why people think Philippa is on the same level of evil as Radovid, or even worse. I assume it must be something else than just wanting power and influence, or trying to control Saskia in order to create a state secretly led by sorceresses.

I ended up sparing Gaetan the Cat school witcher. Sure, he doesn't seem to be very friendly, went way overboard with his revenge against Honorton, and probably has done similar stuff before when people tried to screw him over. It was a tough choice, but in the end I figured that by being a witcher, he still saves way more villagers than he kills. Besides witchers are already on the verge of extinction and I thought he was a badass anyway. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What level are you? On death march being underleveled can be brutal. I think i was level 4 when i did it. I remember trying it at level 2 and it just was not happening at all

I am in fact level 2. It's a level 6 mission I think, and I probably forgot how much having no abilities sucks, since I was doing missions 8-10 levels higher last game on the previous difficulty.

edit: ^ I mean, it's literally that Radovid is childish and Ignorant and Phillipa is doing everything on purpose. Radovid is a hosed-up, misguided, racist moron, while Phillipa causes suffering because it furthers her goals. She is 300 and he is 20.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 13, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Snak posted:

I am in fact level 2. It's a level 6 mission I think, and I probably forgot how much having no abilities sucks, since I was doing missions 8-10 levels higher last game on the previous difficulty.

yep, thats your problem, there is a straight up damage dealt reduction and damage taken increase dependent on level. go do the side quests and come back, it will be more in line with what you should expect.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yep, thats your problem, there is a straight up damage dealt reduction and damage taken increase dependent on level. go do the side quests and come back, it will be more in line with what you should expect.

I can't I'm at the mid-battle checkpoint. This will be fun.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Snak posted:

I can't I'm at the mid-battle checkpoint. This will be fun.

there should be an autosave from before it started

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

there should be an autosave from before it started

Gotcha.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's been so long since my first playthrough, I don't remember any of them. The only item in my quest log is "slay the griffin". Any pointers on where I should go for more quests?

edit: As we say in Dark Souls communities, whining on the internet about how hard something is is the surest way to git gut. Beat it on the first try after complaining in this thread. I just kind of ran up and hit it in the face a bunch of times and it died. Woog.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 13, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can you run away?

I remember being able to run from the archgriffin you have to kill for that smith quest cause I was under leveled. You may not be able to since that fight is mandatory. Try at least.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt is the most emotional witcher by far. The "the mutations stripped me of emotions" thing is just a lie he tells himself in the early books to excuse his behavior which is largely actually just an acquired byproduct of childhood trauma, abandonment issues, and fear of becoming attached to anyone or anything.

Philippa is either directly or indirectly responsible for pretty much every bad thing that happened in the books and games. And if you don't think the mind-rape she pulled on Saskia is monstrous then I don't know what would ever turn you against her.

Radovid by contrast is an obsessed, mentally ill man unable to overcome a profound but poorly elaborated upon childhood trauma. He's able to do tremendous damage because he's in a position of power, and despite his crippling psychological issues, he's still quite cunning and benefiting from Philippa Eilhart's training. Philippa meanwhile has no such excuse. She's 300 years old and knowingly does horrible things to get even more power because she is simply never satisfied, rather than acting out some twisted extended revenge fantasy against an abusive mother figure in real life.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Seriously, Phillipa and Vilgefortz put basically every bad thing that ever happens in the books into motion. Vilgefortz is a little worse, but he's dead and Phillipa isn't so she gets to continue her awfulness unabated throughout the games.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Never read the books so I'm not sure why people think Philippa is on the same level of evil as Radovid, or even worse. I assume it must be something else than just wanting power and influence, or trying to control Saskia in order to create a state secretly led by sorceresses.

Yeah, this. I don't feel any particular ire for her, even though Saskia was my no1 lady in W2. Sure Phillippa is crazy power-hunger she's no more so than any king and from what I saw of Vergen her pro-nonhuman policies made her look a hell of a lot better than anyone else in charge barring Saskia herself. So it's hard not think "well, maybe she'd be a pretty good ruler". :shrug:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Anti-Hero posted:

I feel like I need to read the books to truly appreciate Phillipa's awfulness. She's the main force behind all the assassinations in TW2, but that doesn't make her any more monstrous than the other characters from the two games I've played.
Just caught this.

Nilfgaard was the main force behind the assassinations in TW2. It's like the second biggest plot point in the entire game and I'm never not surprised by how many people don't seem to have understood it.

Philippa just wanted Demavend dead.

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, this. I don't feel any particular ire for her, even though Saskia was my no1 lady in W2. Sure Phillippa is crazy power-hunger she's no more so than any king and from what I saw of Vergen her pro-nonhuman policies made her look a hell of a lot better than anyone else in charge barring Saskia herself. So it's hard not think "well, maybe she'd be a pretty good ruler". :shrug:

Philippa doesn't have pro-nonhuman policies. She has pro-Philippa policies. If helping non-humans help that, fine. If killing em helps that, she'll help organize the pogroms. She was the major political force in Redania while they were doing just that prior to the Second Northern War.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nephthys posted:

Isn't she also basically a war-criminal though? Doesn't she, on top of all the sketchy Radovid stuff, get the Lodge to use magic on the battlefield in a legally unprecedented way, without any oversight?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The whole "Witchers have no emotions" is like the "Witchers stay neutral/out of politics" thing. A convenient excuse at best and an outright falsehood more often than not

Nephthys posted:

Phillipa has no consistent 'politics' other than amassing as much power for herself as she possibly can. She will equally use human racism to undermine non-humans as she will use non-human resentment and unrest as a weapon against human societies.

She sees people younger than her (re: Everyone) as idiot puppets who are worthless until they can help her in some way, at which point they are tools or resources to be exploited. She's powermad and has hosed over every major power player in the Northern Realms from Radovid to Yennefer to Dijkstra, and she has been the impetus or at least had some large role in starting every single major conflict in the realm.

Really I can't think of a single thing the Lodge ever did that didn't end in absolute disaster and ruin for everyone other than Phillpa herself.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 13, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Isn't she also basically a war-criminal though? Doesn't she, on top of all the sketchy Radovid stuff, get the Lodge to use magic on the battlefield in a legally unprecedented way, without any oversight?

Yeah her and the Lodge killed like 5,000 people by making the sky rain fire when it looked like Henselt was about to win Upper Aedirn.

Also part of Philippa's stake in the Thanedd coup was basically making sure a war with Nilfgaard happened, so that's even more thousands of lives on her conscience.

420 Gank Mid posted:

The whole "Witchers have no emotions" is like the "Witchers stay neutral/out of politics" thing. A convenient excuse at best and an outright falsehood more often than not

I get the impression that lack of affect or even actual removal of emotions may be an occasional rare side effect from the mutation process but we never actually see any living examples of that. Might be a grain of truth the myth is based on though, I don't know.

The important thing in the first couple of books is not only that it's a myth, but Geralt actually kinda believes it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Philippa doesn't have pro-nonhuman policies. She has pro-Philippa policies. If helping non-humans help that, fine. If killing em helps that, she'll help organize the pogroms. She was the major political force in Redania while they were doing just that prior to the Second Northern War.

Well like I said, I don't know about any of that cuz I didn't read the books. I currently don't know of her actually doing anything *that bad* compared to scum like Radovid.

Snak posted:

With the thing that got Sabrina killed by Henselt? IIRC Sabrina asked for that and Phillipa agreed because they didn't want Henselt to increase his territory and like, yeah. gently caress that guy. But upsetting the balance of power would have been pretty bad all round for everyone. The whole North may have gotten screwed if Henselt increased his power by taking the Pontar.

If you're not I recall them loving Nilfgaards poo poo up majorly in a way that seriously helped the North so i dunno?

But my thought is that pretty much everyone with power is terrible and she seemed less terrible than anyone else I've seen in the games so I didn't get the hatred for her.

If she is that bad then maybe they should have made that more apparent. Because compared to Radovid in the game, woah does she look good!

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 13, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Really I can't think of a single thing the Lodge ever did that didn't end in absolute disaster and ruin for everyone other than Phillpa herself.

And, at the end of the day, it all ends in ruin for Phillipa as well. Her loving literally everyone over is what leads to her losing her eyes and having to go into hiding. Tormenting Radovid drives him insane, or at least speeds up the process, and makes him want to kill her, then after the mage hunting begins she and the Lodge have nowhere to go because they've pissed off everyone in the world at this point.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Nephthys posted:

If you're not I recall them loving Nilfgaards poo poo up majorly in a way that seriously helped the North so i dunno?

That was the Council and Conclave, the actual official, legal organization of mages Philippa had a big hand in accidentally destroying. That was also years before the Lodge was founded.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

And, at the end of the day, it all ends in ruin for Phillipa as well. Her loving literally everyone over is what leads to her losing her eyes and having to go into hiding. Tormenting Radovid drives him insane, or at least speeds up the process, and makes him want to kill her, then after the mage hunting begins she and the Lodge have nowhere to go because they've pissed off everyone in the world at this point.

Yea but now she is fine and has cool magic sight. And can turn into an owl!

Basically I want some Kill Bill Phil dlc

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The first DLC on anyone's wishlist should be a "Free the Free City of Novigrad" where the remaining Big 4 rise up and eliminate the Eternal Fire and the Witch Hunters with Geralt's enthusiastic help

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

The first DLC on anyone's wishlist should be a "Free the Free City of Novigrad" where the remaining Big 4 rise up and eliminate the Eternal Fire and the Witch Hunters with Geralt's enthusiastic help

Kill all witch hunters on sight.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

poopzilla posted:

Kill all witch hunters on sight.

You can do this, but you cannot kill Himmlerfartface. You can only scare him by drunk dialing him while cross dressing

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ice Fist posted:

The first DLC on anyone's wishlist should be "Return to Vergen" that adds Iorveth back to the game and lets you save/help/avenge Saskia against Phil.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Just caught this.

Nilfgaard was the main force behind the assassinations in TW2. It's like the second biggest plot point in the entire game and I'm never not surprised by how many people don't seem to have understood it.

Philippa just wanted Demavend dead.

Yeah, I remember that now. I only played TW2 once and isn't most of this reveal from one Letho info-dump toward the end of the game? It takes at least two playthroughs with games like this to remember all the details.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I would love to see a W3 version of Flotsam, actually.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Anti-Hero posted:

Yeah, I remember that now. I only played TW2 once and isn't most of this reveal from one Letho info-dump toward the end of the game? It takes at least two playthroughs with games like this to remember all the details.

Yeah but there's hints of it throughout. Though most you'd only catch on a second playthrough. Really, TW2 is supposed to be played twice.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

When you start NG+ can you choose different answers to the questions you get while shaving before meeting Emhyr?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you ever find yourself in the position to wonder who started what war, just remember that answer is always Nilfgaard.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Technically the big four members of the Northern coalition plus Lyria-Rivia started the Second Northern War.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah but there's hints of it throughout. Though most you'd only catch on a second playthrough. Really, TW2 is supposed to be played twice.

I started a second playthrough siding with Roche but then TW3 came out and welp!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Finally finished the main quest last night after 2 months of playing every few days! Pretty happy with the ending I got:

Ciri became a Witcher, Geralt and Yen lived happily ever after in the countryside, Roche and Ves won their insurrection against the Nilfgaardians and freed Temeria, Lambert and Keira rode off into the sunset, Cerys ushered in a golden age of prosperity on Skellige, and Dudu-Whoreson ending up running Novigrad.

Two questions though: (Final Preparations) When I was freeing Philippa from Djikstra's bathhouse, I picked the "give him information" option and Geralt came out with a bunch of stuff about Emhyr wanting to abdicate and hand the throne to Ciri. Was this ever discussed, because I'm pretty sure I never remember it! I'd only spoken to Emhyr twice prior, once after the prologue and again after resolving In Ciri's Footsteps; so it's possible that I missed it completely, but it sounded like the kind of thing I'd remember! Or was Geralt lying? Seems unlikely, since Dijkstra in the earlier questlines always knew when Geralt was lying and it comes up again and again that Geralt is a really bad liar

(Last Quest} When I spoke to Avallach on the dock to start the assault on the Wild Hunt's ship, a Quest Failed: Reason of State popped up. Given that I'd already done the quest, is this a bug? I'd resolved by killing Radovid and then Dijkstra, and I'm 99% sure I didn't have any other tasks outstanding for it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

webmeister posted:

Finally finished the main quest last night after 2 months of playing every few days! Pretty happy with the ending I got:

Ciri became a Witcher, Geralt and Yen lived happily ever after in the countryside, Roche and Ves won their insurrection against the Nilfgaardians and freed Temeria, Lambert and Keira rode off into the sunset, Cerys ushered in a golden age of prosperity on Skellige, and Dudu-Whoreson ending up running Novigrad.

Two questions though: (Final Preparations) When I was freeing Philippa from Djikstra's bathhouse, I picked the "give him information" option and Geralt came out with a bunch of stuff about Emhyr wanting to abdicate and hand the throne to Ciri. Was this ever discussed, because I'm pretty sure I never remember it! I'd only spoken to Emhyr twice prior, once after the prologue and again after resolving In Ciri's Footsteps; so it's possible that I missed it completely, but it sounded like the kind of thing I'd remember! Or was Geralt lying? Seems unlikely, since Dijkstra in the earlier questlines always knew when Geralt was lying and it comes up again and again that Geralt is a really bad liar

(Last Quest} When I spoke to Avallach on the dock to start the assault on the Wild Hunt's ship, a Quest Failed: Reason of State popped up. Given that I'd already done the quest, is this a bug? I'd resolved by killing Radovid and then Dijkstra, and I'm 99% sure I didn't have any other tasks outstanding for it?

I forget when it's said or if it's just implied and you have to figure it out yourself, but Geralt isn't lying about Emhyr wanting to abdicate his throne to Ciri. That's why he's there. I can understand why you'd think he was lying because it makes no sense for Emhyr and also makes the end of Reason of State make no sense from Djikstra's perspective.

Speaking of Reason of State, I don't know why it would have failed. You killed Djikstra when he tried to have Thaler and Roche killed, right? That should have been the end of it right there.

The Sharmat posted:

Technically the big four members of the Northern coalition plus Lyria-Rivia started the Second Northern War.

Didn't Nilfgaard goad them into it though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I forget when it's said or if it's just implied and you have to figure it out yourself, but Geralt isn't lying about Emhyr wanting to abdicate his throne to Ciri. That's why he's there. I can understand why you'd think he was lying because it makes no sense for Emhyr and also makes the end of Reason of State make no sense from Djikstra's perspective.

Speaking of Reason of State, I don't know why it would have failed. You killed Djikstra when he tried to have Thaler and Roche killed, right? That should have been the end of it right there.

Ending: I didn't visit Emhyr with Ciri before Bald Mountain, maybe it's something that comes up then? And yes I definitely killed Djikstra at the end of Reason of State, I remember it clearly because the only loot he dropped was a ham sandwich, the fat fucker :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Also - it's supposed to be Dandelion narrating the loading screens, right? If so - why does his in-game voice sound totally different?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yes it's Dandelion. He's an old man in the narration and he's basically reading that book he kept saying he'd write about his adventures with Geralt.

webmeister posted:

Ending: I didn't visit Emhyr with Ciri before Bald Mountain, maybe it's something that comes up then? And yes I definitely killed Djikstra at the end of Reason of State, I remember it clearly because the only loot he dropped was a ham sandwich, the fat fucker :laugh:

You only have one opportunity to take Ciri to Emhyr and that is during the visit before Bald Mountain. Some people think that's the best ending from a greater good standpoint, but Ciri is pretty clearly happiest in the Witcher ending so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also Emhyr is a monster.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

Also - it's supposed to be Dandelion narrating the loading screens, right? If so - why does his in-game voice sound totally different?

Short answer is that he is 20+years older when he's narrating, I think.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

webmeister posted:

Ciri became a Witcher, Geralt and Yen lived happily ever after in the countryside, Roche and Ves won their insurrection against the Nilfgaardians and freed Temeria,

That's not at all what happened. They sold out all the other Northern Kingdoms in exchange for vassaldom after their capitulation instead of outright annexation.

webmeister posted:

It's brought up a couple times, in particular in an easy to miss conversation with Voorhees. You either didn't see it or just forgot about it.

webmeister posted:

Known bug.

EDIT: I can't figure out why my spoiler tags aren't working. It's been three months. When are we gonna lift the ban on spoilers?

EDIT 2: Ok on re-examination spotted the problem.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 14, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Sharmat posted:

Known bug.

EDIT: I can't figure out why my spoiler tags aren't working. It's been three months. When are we gonna lift the ban on spoilers?

EDIT 2: Ok on re-examination spotted the problem.

People are only just now beating the game if they've been doing a light gaming schedule/doing completionist runs. Gonna be another month or three.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
But then we'll have to use spoilers because of the expansion!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ending chat: I was really sad to see Crach an Craite fall to Eredin. As much as I hate cutscene bullshit, I would have really liked it if, upon depleting Eredin's health bar, it went toa cutscene where Geralt was about to be killed by Eredin and then Eredin fell with an An Craite ax in his back, the final act of Crach an Craite. I love how Skellige, land of bullshitters and tough guys, got see literal Ragh nar Roog, exactly as it was prophesied, unfold, and their greatest heroes got to fight off the apocalypse. Generations of An Craites will tell the stories of Crach and Hjalmar ramming the Naglfar with their longboat and doing battle in the White Frost. Cerys will be remembered as the ruler whose kingdom withstood The Apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
At least his axe never crumbled. :911: