Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That looks really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

krushgroove posted:

True, plus I've been slacking in my off-hours RC-dom lately. I did just finish this sucker though:

The Gelande II from RC4WD. It's a heavy beast and although it has several pre-built parts, it still didn't go together perfectly. The instructions are minimal compared to XRAY and HPI and assembling the wheels nearly made me through the whole thing through a window, but it looks amazing going anywhere.

Nice, that looks amazing. What do you think of it so far? Ton of fun? I've been debating what to think about buying next.

I should get some pics of the rigs up, need to get some decent weather and run some trails when its not "too rainy to bring the decent camera" weather.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Had a bad night that could have easily been a *lot* worse.

I was sliding a Tamiya TT-01D around a local parking lot with some other R/C nerds when it got caught up on something. Walking over to check on it, I noticed some smoke, so I yanked off the shell and disconnected the battery, only to notice a big rusty nail poking through the 3S Lipo from the underside. gently caress.

I pulled the pin that holds the battery in, yanked the battery, and chucked it out into the parking lot where it wouldn't be near anything else. We got a nice smoke and fire show for the next few minutes. Once it settled down, I sprayed some water at it and moved it into a fireproof metal box. Chassis got a little melted, but with a new battery, it was good as new.

Lipos, man... drat.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yikes! Glad you got the battery out quick enough, otherwise all your electronics (and car) would have gone up.

Siochain posted:

Nice, that looks amazing. What do you think of it so far? Ton of fun? I've been debating what to think about buying next.

I should get some pics of the rigs up, need to get some decent weather and run some trails when its not "too rainy to bring the decent camera" weather.

Well the manual could be a bit better and the truck is massively heavy, but other than that it's pretty good. I like going fast and everything but when I want to have something scale, I like proper SCALE stuff. I haven't driven it much but this needs to be driven like a real truck because it's so top-heavy. I'll be bolting a bunch of the external bits on it like a roof rack and adding lights, etc., also I have a winch somewhere. It costs a ton of money ($/£450+) so it's up to you whether it's worth the cost. I did really appreciate the pre-built transmission, transfer case, shocks and axles, it meant the build went together pretty quick although I did have a problem with one of the chassis rails not get tapped properly (M3 screws were able to just slide right through) so I had to exchange it for a new pair with the UK distributor.

Looks-wise, though it can't be beat. Of course Tamiya are the top dog for their replica cars and this is right up there. Some more pics:

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

You ain't kidding. I'm just glad it was one of those easy-to-get-to batteries and not something that requires screws, or I'd be showing pictures of something else. On the spot where the battery was burning up, you could see where solder liquified and dripped onto the asphalt, like the T-1000.

Anyway, some better pictures of the get-together. Unfortunately, it was *really* hot today, and people didn't really start showing up until later, when it was too dark to get non-blurry shots.

My new-to-me TT-01D with a replacement battery, on nail patrol

Someone's SC10 with a retro body shell

Zippy little RC18 running around naked

FREE CANDY

Something with a 6S in it that was running around with its gear mesh set WAY too tight. Sounded like a drill with a megaphone

Squat

Savage Flux? Maybe?

My XV-01

Some racin'

Some wheelies

aaaaand some of this...

A familiar sight

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That looks great krushgroove. I did the G2 Cruiser build and review for Big Squid a few months ago (I also built a personal G2 D90 last year) and I pretty much agree with your assessment. The actual build was a pain in the rear due to some parts not fitting correctly and a sparse manual. It sure does look great though. Well, at least it did until I had to drive the daylights out of it. If you go hard prepare to break all manner of things. I'm used to running my Axial stuff hard and RC4WD stuff just isn't meant to be pushed like that.

The Cruiser body is obviously top notch but I find it to be a bit out of scale. I wound up putting slightly bigger tires on mine. I also had to install scx10 shocks after I sheared one of the stock metal ones.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

an AOL chatroom posted:

Savage Flux? Maybe?

A Traxxas Rustler, VXL by the looks of it.

So my Facebook newsfeed has been blasted by all of my friends/industry associates that went to Axialfest this year. I am really kicking myself for not going now. I think the boss and I are probably going to hit it next year though and rent an RV. They had over 1000 people there which is enormous for an RC event.

Most of my free time has been spent with my kids and getting outside this summer. They are both still pretty little so they need a bit of supervision. I have been playing around with my Inspire 1 quadcopter and GoPros a bit to put together some YouTube videos like these with iMovie and it has been pretty entertaining to practice for my work YouTube channel and to have better than average "home videos".

Speaking of videos to watch, if you are remotely interested in the international racing scene then you need to do yourself a favor and watch the documentary style videos sponsored by Pro-Line called "Come Drive With Us", a guy I know in Canada is the one that filmed/edited/wrote them and they really are amazing. Check out his latest work on the Neo X race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT6zgJRnBs0

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

So I finally feel like a real R/C guy hahah.

Took my Twin Hammers out to a local beach/park area on Friday night. Tooled around for about 20-30 minutes, ripping through the sand, having a blast in the rain.

Suddenly my steering seemed to go out. Walk over, there's a stick stuck through the arms. Pull that out, drop it back down, and it seems to work again. Few minutes later, same thing. And it just wouldn't come back - servo was trying, but nothing would move.

Pulled the battery, and came home. Start pulling things apart to see what broke.
The steering bar and rack had broken off the two round connectors, flexed, and allowed a TON of sand into it. So it had filled up and gotten stuck.

This is what the stock looks like. Imagine that without the two "loops", and full of gritty sand.

Totally worth it.

Now to debate replacing it with stock parts, or upgrading to GCM racings front shock hoops and getting a custom-bellcrank kit. Or I could get an aluminum version to, but I still think the steering will be sloppy.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Hope you don't mind a few more random parking lot pictures.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those are definitely some bashers at play! :) no disrespect intended, you guys are definitely having fun, which is what it's all about. I just came back from 2 back to back trips to large scale European championships, one for 1/5th scale touring cars and the other for large scale off-road (videos below). Amazing stuff, some really good races - these are the 30-minute Final races for the overall championship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32PskkNB-Uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j71vn10cTyk

I did the camera work on these two races. Right now the guys I worked with are streaming the European championships for 2WD buggy and tomorrow is the start of the 4WD Euros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFuG_4I4i9A

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

krushgroove posted:

2 back to back trips to large scale European championships...

:pusheen:

It all looks awesome, but those touring cars are incredible. I don't even want to think about what's required to put something like that (the event AND the vehicles) together.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I thought the LSTC look way better on track, although the LSOR cars are finally coming along with the modern looks - too many of them are in the blobby body style still, although MCD (one of the major LSOR brands) cars and bodies are basically bigger versions of 1/8th scale buggies now.

I didn't run the events, thankfully, but having permanent tracks and well-run clubs with 20+ years of experience really help make a good event!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

drat, lots of awesome here.

Great photos in the parking lot :) Looks like a ton of fun.

And those videos will kill a day off in its entirety for me (when I have one.) I love watching those.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Those are definitely some bashers at play! :) no disrespect intended, you guys are definitely having fun, which is what it's all about. I just came back from 2 back to back trips to large scale European championships, one for 1/5th scale touring cars and the other for large scale off-road (videos below). Amazing stuff, some really good races - these are the 30-minute Final races for the overall championship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32PskkNB-Uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j71vn10cTyk

I did the camera work on these two races. Right now the guys I worked with are streaming the European championships for 2WD buggy and tomorrow is the start of the 4WD Euros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFuG_4I4i9A

Oh man - that touring car track and racing :flashfap: It is no fair that Europe gets all the good large scale onroad tracks. not only is the layout incredible but the surrounding area is beautiful. Seriously, just have a look at this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCH32-nMcQ That would just be my nirvana. We got in some of the new FG EVO 2020 touring cars the other week. I texted a pic to my wife and said "I found this at work, can it follow me home?". She wasn't amused.

Are you going to have the HB 2WD buggy prototype at the EU champs?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh man - that touring car track and racing :flashfap: It is no fair that Europe gets all the good large scale onroad tracks. not only is the layout incredible but the surrounding area is beautiful. Seriously, just have a look at this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCH32-nMcQ That would just be my nirvana. We got in some of the new FG EVO 2020 touring cars the other week. I texted a pic to my wife and said "I found this at work, can it follow me home?". She wasn't amused.

Are you going to have the HB 2WD buggy prototype at the EU champs?

Hahah, good lords, that track is incredible. Damned Europe and its awesomeness. I really wish the closest course wasn't like 6 hours away from me :( I want to try it out, but would hate to invest a ton and not like it after a 6 hour drive.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Siochain posted:

Hahah, good lords, that track is incredible. Damned Europe and its awesomeness. I really wish the closest course wasn't like 6 hours away from me :( I want to try it out, but would hate to invest a ton and not like it after a 6 hour drive.

That large scale road racing really is amazing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

30 min finals? gently caress I struggle with 8 min heats. Those large scale RC cars are monsters. I hate to think how expensive it is to keep one running, let alone building the kit

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Picked this up from a co worker yesterday:

It's an Associated SC10 4x4. The previous owner who my co worker brought it from had put a lot of hop ups on it. Got full electrics, 4 batteries and some spares with it.

So I slapped some new tyres on it and gave it a blast in the park behind my house

I guess it is still wet and muddy in the park. Took a bit over a hour to clean the car and shell

It's a blast to run. 3S Lipo battery and 1/8th scale electrics make it a real hoot. Going to rebuild the shocks on it once I get the parts, and got a new bearing kit coming in.

You Am I fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 8, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

R/C thread, lend me your wisdom. Visiting family, and the lhs has a steeply discounted vaterra glamis uno. Seems to be discontinued, price is cheaper by a decent margin than it would have cost me elsewhere when it was still available. It looks like a blast. Do I enter the wife and buy it, or is there something similar on the market? I like the look way more than any of the current buggies I see on the market.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got to practice my action photography last week at the 1/10th electric off-road Euros, photo album here on EFRA's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.940416019363899.1073741850.530130737059098&type=3

I'm just about ready for a new camera, photographing RC cars is very good practice for real motorsport (I go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed every year) because the RC cars are so quick and darty.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

krushgroove posted:

Got to practice my action photography last week at the 1/10th electric off-road Euros, photo album here on EFRA's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.940416019363899.1073741850.530130737059098&type=3

I'm just about ready for a new camera, photographing RC cars is very good practice for real motorsport (I go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed every year) because the RC cars are so quick and darty.

I much prefer our local Grande Prairie RC club facebook banner

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, unfortunately they're a bit stuck in the past - it took them until this year to get on Facebook, though, so there's hope for them yet.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

jonathan posted:

I much prefer our local Grande Prairie RC club facebook banner

That's fantastic

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

Good stuff. Man, you aren't kidding. If you can shoot r/c action then full scale is pretty easy, except for perhaps the fact you are generally much further back.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Vacation Trip Report: Successful.
Took my SCX10 out west, had a nice little rip around the farm with it.
Then bought that Vaterra Glamis Uno. Hoooooooly poo poo that thing rips around.

Way too much fun. Wife has some photos I need to grab of me tearing around with it. 2wd buggy is way more fun than I had figured it would be. I think I've blown through more packs with it than my others combined, and I've only had it for a week.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Siochain posted:

Vacation Trip Report: Successful.
Took my SCX10 out west, had a nice little rip around the farm with it.
Then bought that Vaterra Glamis Uno. Hoooooooly poo poo that thing rips around.

Way too much fun. Wife has some photos I need to grab of me tearing around with it. 2wd buggy is way more fun than I had figured it would be. I think I've blown through more packs with it than my others combined, and I've only had it for a week.

2wd buggies are the best drat thing :hfive:

They're just so fun to drive and toss around. My ARRMA Raider has seen a lot of use on basically every loose surface I can find :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

T1g4h posted:

2wd buggies are the best drat thing :hfive:

They're just so fun to drive and toss around. My ARRMA Raider has seen a lot of use on basically every loose surface I can find :v:

Its absolutely, insanely, 100% amazingly fun. Let my oldest brother whip it around...I'm not going to be shocked when he picks something up. I ripped around a ton, made some sick jumps, just overly blew around. I love this hobby.

Only wish I could find more hopups for the damned thing...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hey R/C thread. I saw krushgroove cross-post those videos in the Misc Racing thread and it reminded me that I had thought about getting back into R/C as a hobby. (When I was a kid air had a Clod Buster without much top speed or battery life but it was fun).

So I have a couple questions. What are the recommended starter sets RTR for touring cars? I've gathered brushless electric with lipo batteries is a hugely simple and straightforward way to get in, and onroad TC/sports cars would be fun. Or the smaller scale Kyosho stuff too, since I'm in Japan. And if anyone knows about racing or tracks in Tokyo I'm all ears.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

harperdc posted:

Hey R/C thread. I saw krushgroove cross-post those videos in the Misc Racing thread and it reminded me that I had thought about getting back into R/C as a hobby. (When I was a kid air had a Clod Buster without much top speed or battery life but it was fun).

So I have a couple questions. What are the recommended starter sets RTR for touring cars? I've gathered brushless electric with lipo batteries is a hugely simple and straightforward way to get in, and onroad TC/sports cars would be fun. Or the smaller scale Kyosho stuff too, since I'm in Japan. And if anyone knows about racing or tracks in Tokyo I'm all ears.
Tamiya will be the brand to go for, especially in Japan. The TA06 is a good starter, as the TT02 is limited with its gearing.

Kyosho pretty well owns the Mini-Z market (1:32 I think).

Not sure about tracks in Japan. There are tons of them, but RC Tech doesn't have a Japanese sub forum. Best asking the hobby shop about tracks.

I don't know much about the geography of Japan, but I know friends who have been there, and RC Champ (http://www.rc-champ.co.jp) is one of the best places to go to for RC stuff.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Tamiya will be the brand to go for, especially in Japan. The TA06 is a good starter, as the TT02 is limited with its gearing.

Kyosho pretty well owns the Mini-Z market (1:32 I think).

Not sure about tracks in Japan. There are tons of them, but RC Tech doesn't have a Japanese sub forum. Best asking the hobby shop about tracks.

I don't know much about the geography of Japan, but I know friends who have been there, and RC Champ (http://www.rc-champ.co.jp) is one of the best places to go to for RC stuff.

Awesome - R/C Champ has a shop in Akihabara in Tokyo, so I'll make a trip over there soon. And the track/facility they list on their site below the stores is nearby to Tokyo too. Sounds like a perfect place to start!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

You Am I posted:

Japanese websites are all stuck in the 90's. For such a technically forward place.. it's astounding how little they've moved forward with their web design.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Tam Tam is big on RC from what I remember if my trip there, if you can get to one definitely go. RC tracks are few and far between, though. As you're in Japan, Tamiya is the obvious go-to, but there are a billion boutique companies that spring up every year to make specialist kits (including a guy who started as a car repair garage, moved to specializing in RX-7s I believe, and now also has designed an RC drift chassis - Japan is nuts). But Tamiya kits and parts will be super easy to find, I assume Kyosho and HPI (disclosure, I work for HPI) too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

krushgroove posted:

(disclosure, I work for HPI)

Hi can you send me some cheap Vintage rims and tyres kthxbye

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

You Am I posted:

Hi can you send me some cheap Vintage rims and tyres kthxbye

If you're in the UK and organising a Vintage race, yes! If you're anywhere else I can probably put you in touch with someone else who can.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There was a R/C drift track/club profiled on Speedhunters once upon a time and it turns out that's fairly close to where I live. And the big Tamiya brand store is in the center of the city, not too hard to get to too. I've been to Tam-Tam in Akiba to look for diecasts, I'll look for RC too. And I've even seen some of the TA06 RTR packs at the electronics stores (namely Yodobashi Camera).

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I won't do the usual dump of parking lot bashing pictures (unless folks want it?) but I wanted to share this shot from Monday. You've got to love the sheer ridiculousness of it

Siochain
May 24, 2005

an AOL chatroom posted:

I won't do the usual dump of parking lot bashing pictures (unless folks want it?) but I wanted to share this shot from Monday. You've got to love the sheer ridiculousness of it

You can dump them imo :) You take awesome shots!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

If you insist!

My TT01D

An RC18T with a 3S in it, somehow

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I finally got around to stroking my inner nerd and upgraded the work space. I am going to try and track down an Axial banner which don't look to be too terribly expensive but I might have a line on one from a friend...I would like to track down a Tamiya banner at some point too.

It still needs more organizing. We are in the middle of finishing out our basement so we have a lot of things stored in the garage. It definitely defines the area a lot more though. Going out and doing a little wrenching while having a show on is totally awesome. I am considering getting a ductless air con unit because the garage gets hot during the summer. In those cabinets are about another 8 or 10 different RC cars that are not out. Ignore the two LiPo batteries sitting on the foundation. Those have been discharged to 0V and are awaiting their return to Valhalla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I finally got around to stroking my inner nerd and upgraded the work space. I am going to try and track down an Axial banner which don't look to be too terribly expensive but I might have a line on one from a friend...I would like to track down a Tamiya banner at some point too.

It still needs more organizing. We are in the middle of finishing out our basement so we have a lot of things stored in the garage. It definitely defines the area a lot more though. Going out and doing a little wrenching while having a show on is totally awesome. I am considering getting a ductless air con unit because the garage gets hot during the summer. In those cabinets are about another 8 or 10 different RC cars that are not out. Ignore the two LiPo batteries sitting on the foundation. Those have been discharged to 0V and are awaiting their return to Valhalla.

Looks awesome man.

We're going to move some stuff around so I can use a basement room as a little workshop. Need to get some banners and storage and such for it, once we get everything lined up. I'm quite stoked, as in about 2 months the garage will be too cold to be useful.