Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In Ground Zeroes, you have an exfiltration mission where you need to rescue an intel operative while also killing everyone (unless you want to S-rank it) and after a successful mission you'll temporarily see the rescued soldier in the main menu screen. The soldier is God

And the best part is he did the mocap for himself, himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, it was quite a departure from their normal formula. See if you can find 04, 5, or Zero (all for the PS2) on the cheap. If you still have a PSP, both titles for it are fun as hell, too.

If you can only pick one, I'd go with either 4 or Zero. 5 has some rather obnoxious missions. while 4 and Zero 's missions basically boil down to "BLOW poo poo UP!"

That being said, all the PS2 Ace Combat games are good.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Aug 12, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TPP is going to be so amazing...

Oh, in Ground Zeroes, in one of the bonus missions you get a gun with a special flashlight that erases graffiti. If you erase all required graffiti a voice clip of Hideo plays and he thanks you for your support and for enjoying all his games.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

My only exposure to Ace Combat was Assault Horizon or whatever? The one that is apparently really different from all the other and has a bunch of other vehicles other than planes? Maybe i need to see if i can find 5/Zero at my local used games store.

Assault Horizon wasn't bad, it was just very different (helicopters, bombers, being set in the real world). I actually enjoy Assault Horizon quite a bit, though not nearly as much as AC5 or Zero.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Tomb Raider was still the best at this. As silly at it was to have Lara go from mourning killing a deer for food to remorselessly slaughtering an entire army of soldiers over the course of a few hours, having the mercs go from being smug and rapey to making GBS threads their pants at the sight of her by the end of the game was amazing.

"OH poo poo, SHE HAS A GRENADE LAUNCHER!!! :supaburn:"

My favorite moment was when one of the cultist realized he had no chance against both the storm guards and Lara, so he tried to get her on his team. Naturally he was shot down moments later.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Starhawk64 posted:

If you can only pick one, I'd go with either 4 or Zero. 5 has some rather obnoxious missions. while 4 and Zero 's missions basically boil down to "BLOW poo poo UP!"

That being said, all the PS2 Ace Combat games are good.

Was 4 the one where you were MOBIUS ONE! ? Thats the only one I played but man it was great

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Polaron posted:

Assault Horizon wasn't bad, it was just very different (helicopters, bombers, being set in the real world). I actually enjoy Assault Horizon quite a bit, though not nearly as much as AC5 or Zero.

Did you forget about Dogfight Mode? I wouldn't have even cared about the other additions or not being set in Strangereal, but DFM was a completely atrocious and unnecessary addition to the franchise. It was a shame too, because the new graphics and damage engine they rigged up for AH was absolutely gorgeous.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

3 posted:

Did you forget about Dogfight Mode? I wouldn't have even cared about the other additions or not being set in Strangereal, but DFM was a completely atrocious and unnecessary addition to the franchise. It was a shame too, because the new graphics and damage engine they rigged up for AH was absolutely gorgeous.

I actually didn't mind dogfight mode. It made fighting aces more interesting than "Endlessly circle hoping to land a QRM shot", which was always sort of a problem with the earlier games.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I started playing Mafia 2 last week, despite the poor AI and the ability to die from a single bullet I'm enjoying it. Here's a few highlights.

This happening after doing something you had to do, I was pissing myself with laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK9GSI0GFYs

Content: For those who haven't played it, you got drunk with two friends and discovered one of them had a dead body in the car while driving them home. You had to drive a long way to get there, even stop along the way so one of them could puke, then when you eventually got there you had to dig a hole and drag the body into it. As you're driving away, Frank Sinatra starts playing on the radio and the two drunk dudes just casually sing along to it like they had just left the pub in a taxi and hadn't of just buried a dead body

During one mission after leaving Joe's apartment (Just reminded me of a film, but anyway) I decided to steal a car instead of doing the convenient thing of walking around the corner to the garage. So I drag this guy out of his car, get in and start the engine. There's traffic in front of me so as I'm changing gears to reverse I see a cop car pulling up behind the car and have to stop, at this point the original driver of the vehicle drags me out and decides to punch me in the face. I was about to run when I saw the police getting out of the car because I thought, "Oh poo poo, I've just tried to steal this man's car and the police are about to come over" when I noticed the map wasn't blue (Which is a sign that the cops are after you.) The police didn't see the attempted car theft, all they saw was the guy dragging me out and punching me in the face. As they were arresting him for assault I decided to get back in his car and drive away laughing.

I'm crap at driving in games like this, because if one get's wrecked there's a dozen or so more around to steal and this game has an achievement for driving a variety of different cars. So as usual I'm speeding along and miss a turning and decide to reverse backwards. I end up smashing into the front of a car and suddenly hear sirens, police do respond to car accidents that they witness and thought it was another "Oh poo poo, cheese it" moment. Again the map wasn't blue so I decided to see what happened, the police got out of their vehicle and decided to arrest the driver of the other car for rear ending me despite myself being the cause of it.

Chapter 14 involved trying to raise money for reasons involved in the game. As I decided to stock up on weapons after finding a huge wad I realised that I had to raise a few grand more. So the only real options of raising cash at that point is scrapping cars or robbing stores. Before the scrapping cars route I thought I'd rob local stores, something which I only did before for an achievement days before this moment. I decided to go to the area near the scrapyard, rob the stores and then make up the rest of the money crushing cars. I did the rounds and thought that a clothes store was the last place to visit, but it turned out that it was the first place I went too only minutes before hand. As soon as I entered I discovered two policemen talking to the cashier who immediately identified me, before I could turn around one of the policemen pulled out his gun and shot me in the face which immediately killed me.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Don't forget that he gives a little quip right after that voiced by himself, ("What took you so long?") which changes if you manage to S-rank the mission by not killing a single person "That was perfect." Thanks Kojima.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

We're probably not talking about Ace Combat any more, but my favorite thing in Ace Combat was taking the A-10 in every mission that I could and using the Vulcan gun just because of how amazing it sounded. Those games don't emulate well and so they're pretty much the reason I still have my PS2.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Nuclear War posted:

Was 4 the one where you were MOBIUS ONE! ? Thats the only one I played but man it was great

Yes. He's also playable in one of 5's bonus missions, and in Zero as an ace you have to shoot down in the bonus endurance mission.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Aug 13, 2015

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

TPP is going to be so amazing...

Oh, in Ground Zeroes, in one of the bonus missions you get a gun with a special flashlight that erases graffiti. If you erase all required graffiti a voice clip of Hideo plays and he thanks you for your support and for enjoying all his games.

My favorite little Ground Zeroes things are:

- The disarm animation. When Big Boss grabs an enemy's rifle, he actually pushes it into the soldier because their reflex is to pull it toward themselves, thereby using the enemy's own backwards momentum against them.

- All of Robin Atkin Downes' impressions in the Deja Vu mission.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I never bothered with 4 but TPP is sounding really good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Inzombiac posted:

Man, I never bothered with 4 but TPP is sounding really good.

It will most likely dominate this thread for months.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Polaron posted:

I actually didn't mind dogfight mode. It made fighting aces more interesting than "Endlessly circle hoping to land a QRM shot", which was always sort of a problem with the earlier games.

It's funny, because a lot of people thought Dogfight Mode was just going to make the game "EZ Mode," but shooting down a lot of the tougher enemies was pretty difficult. It was an interesting mechanic that was handled clumsily (although I felt that it made multiplayer more interesting and fun), but I still enjoyed Assault Horizon. At the very least it had a great soundtrack and one of the best QTEs ever in a game. "Press X to fist pump."

As for which AC to play, I'm a fanboy so I'll say all of them, even 6. But definitely 5 and Zero at least. And heck, even Infinity's single player missions are neat. I hope against hope for a current-gen game. :smith:

PunkBoy has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Aug 13, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It will most likely dominate this thread for months.

Or at least until the next big release after it

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just beat Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. For how not-innovative it is, it really stands out. I loved it.

It's kind of a gimmick that in JRPGs you'll load up on tons of great items and never use them. In this game, I did that, but then I got to the 3-part boss fight that you can't save your game inbetween, and that is so very much harder than other fights in the game, and I used, like, all of those items. It was annoying at the time, but I appreciate that the game made me use all my resources to beat the final boss.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

the ability to die from a single bullet I'm enjoying it.

That's supposed to be an anti piracy measure. If you stole it I'm amazed you've gotten that far into it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

PunkBoy posted:

It's funny, because a lot of people thought Dogfight Mode was just going to make the game "EZ Mode," but shooting down a lot of the tougher enemies was pretty difficult. It was an interesting mechanic that was handled clumsily (although I felt that it made multiplayer more interesting and fun), but I still enjoyed Assault Horizon. At the very least it had a great soundtrack and one of the best QTEs ever in a game. "Press X to fist pump."

As for which AC to play, I'm a fanboy so I'll say all of them, even 6. But definitely 5 and Zero at least. And heck, even Infinity's single player missions are neat. I hope against hope for a current-gen game. :smith:

Dogfight Mode would've been tolerable if it had simply been another option for you to use, but the moments in the campaign where they forced you to use it just made me loathe it as a feature.

I did genuinely like the helicopter missions though. When the game came out, there were folks complaining that an AH-64 wouldn't be able to pull off the aileron roll it does in the game to dodge missiles, but it turns out you can actually do that in an Apache:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTtX6GF6D3I

Also, I was immensely disappointed that you don't punch yourself in the face if you miss that QTE.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I like that in Crusader No Remorse, you can destroy the Vetrons & Solartrons (the toughest enemy units in the game) with a simple levitating platform if you time it right.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah but the difference between that roll and AC's is like 200ft. I really liked 6, I really enjoyed the free flight mechanic. Pick any aircraft and any map to just tool around and scope out the scenery. I wish they had included the ability to add enemy fighters of varying types to fight.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Amorphous Blob posted:

That's supposed to be an anti piracy measure. If you stole it I'm amazed you've gotten that far into it.

It's legit and in my Steam library:

I ran back into the store, saw the cops and heard the cashier identify me then decided to cheese it. When I tried to turn away all I saw was a cop pulling out his gun and firing it into my head, one bullet lead to the loading screen popping up and losing all progress.

I completed the game last night, if one shot kills were in effect even during cover I'd never of even made it out of the first chapter.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I had a legit copy on the 360 and I definitely died instantly to headshots a few times. I kinda like it, I love it when enemies in games play by the same rules you do. I fell in love with Morrowind when I first killed a bandit and realized that the armor he wore and the sword he used against me were actually equipped in his inventory and I could take them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Of course it had to be Space Station 13.

Daeren posted:

My finest moment of treachery was using a pre-nerf cloaker, a syndicate ID, and a voice changer to run around dragging a bathtub behind me and screaming things as THE PHANTOM OF THE BATHTUB. The tub itself was full of an instant death hell mix of chemicals because I, like most coders, was an absolute hellion with chemistry as a player. The charm came from the mix's effects - first, an invisible force grabbed someone and stuffed them in the tub. Then there was a scream of agony as acid melted the face of the victim. Then a loud, rapid-fire set of slapping noises from pepperoni. Lastly, a meaty eruption of gibs and a single fake mustache as the victim detonated into a volcano of gore. All these noises were overlaid in about a second's worth of time.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

- All of Robin Atkin Downes' impressions in the Deja Vu mission.

Robin Atkin Downes is one of my favorite parts of any game he's in, honestly. The dude loves his job and it shows.

Back on the topic of GZ, the Snatcher music kicking in on Jamais Vu made me grin like an idiot. I just wish the Snatchers had terminator skeletons instead of alien bodies. I did appreciate the mission being at night, though. Can't be out in the sun or their skin will come off!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Robin Atkin Downes is one of my favorite parts of any game he's in, honestly. The dude loves his job and it shows.

He's the only thing that made No More Heroes 2 enjoyable. That game was an absolute shitshow compared to the first -- it had a lot of quality of life improvements, but at the cost of a lot of polish and the removal of some of the very things that made the first one any good.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
My favorite little Robin Atkin Downes thing is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlQhklDjIs

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Hatoful Boyfriend, that weird otome game parody where all of the boys you can date are photographed birds:

1. Each new bird is introduced with a drawing of what it would look like as a human. Except one bird is depicted as... a bird wearing a suit. This character speaks in subtitled coos.

2. One of the romance options is the creepy, secretive school doctor. Maybe there's a kind and loving person hiding beneath that cold exterior? In the bad ending for this path, he kills you. In the good ending, he kills you and keeps your severed head.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Finally gotten around to playing Black Flag. The set-up is you're helping Abstergo research people for a computer game - sorry, "virtual experience" - and you've been assigned the main character who was a pirate. A lot of Assassin Creed stuff has real world people in the index with a bunch of fascinating tid bits and comments about how things would have been different in reality, and though the guy you play as is fictional over half of his biography is bits about alcoholism, womanizing and violence being omitted because the higher-ups don't want to have to market a bad guy for the audience. :allears:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

poptart_fairy posted:

Finally gotten around to playing Black Flag. The set-up is you're helping Abstergo research people for a computer game - sorry, "virtual experience" - and you've been assigned the main character who was a pirate. A lot of Assassin Creed stuff has real world people in the index with a bunch of fascinating tid bits and comments about how things would have been different in reality, and though the guy you play as is fictional over half of his biography is bits about alcoholism, womanizing and violence being omitted because the higher-ups don't want to have to market a bad guy for the audience. :allears:

You can also unlock "internal" marketing videos about the protagonists and antagonists from previous AC games. They twist the perception of the protagonists to make them out to be bad guys (and therefore not suitable for the public) and the antagonists as the good guys.

It's really hamfisted but somehow it's funny as hell because of it.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
To pair with my complaint about Trine 2 in the 'Things dragging this game down' thread, the addition of small tweaks to iconic character abilities is fantastic. The Storm Hammer throw is a great addition to the melee-only Knight, and the Wizard is super viable in combat since he can Levitate enemies.

The new traps are also fantastic. I knocked down a wasp nest with my Hammer Throw, only for my Thief friend to shoot the nest midair. The nest was knocked through the air by the arrow, right into my face. I'm not sure if it counted as a death by trap or a team kill, but it was the best death I've seen in awhile.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

The latest Assassin's Creed game looks like a ballbuster: http://gfycat.com/GorgeousFluffyArizonaalligatorlizard

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grey Fox posted:

The latest Assassin's Creed game looks like a ballbuster: http://gfycat.com/GorgeousFluffyArizonaalligatorlizard

When did they finally start letting you carry spears around whenever you wanted?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

poptart_fairy posted:

and though the guy you play as is fictional over half of his biography is bits about alcoholism, womanizing and violence being omitted because the higher-ups don't want to have to market a bad guy for the audience. :allears:
They also hide the fact he's Welsh, saying nobody'd like the accent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can also unlock "internal" marketing videos about the protagonists and antagonists from previous AC games. They twist the perception of the protagonists to make them out to be bad guys (and therefore not suitable for the public) and the antagonists as the good guys.

The architectural database has the best bit. Most of the buildings have a short writeup of their real-world counterparts, but one has instead an argument between two devs about whether or not including it in the game would be historically accurate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

When did they finally start letting you carry spears around whenever you wanted?

For all the things that Unity did wrong at least they opened up the weapon selection a little so you weren't stuck with like one main weapon and minor variations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

The architectural database has the best bit. Most of the buildings have a short writeup of their real-world counterparts, but one has instead an argument between two devs about whether or not including it in the game would be historically accurate.

In AC Rogue there's a memo in the Abstergo studio pause menu saying to be suspicious of anyone wearing a hood.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

For all the things that Unity did wrong at least they opened up the weapon selection a little so you weren't stuck with like one main weapon and minor variations.

The last game I played was 3 but the last one I remember well was Revelations so what did they change? I remember Revelations was like Sword, knife, hidden blade, crossbow, gun, throwing knives, bare fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

The last game I played was 3 but the last one I remember well was Revelations so what did they change? I remember Revelations was like Sword, knife, hidden blade, crossbow, gun, throwing knives, bare fists.

Revelations was the one with bomb-crafting. Which wasn't all that great despite the part variety, because there were only three you needed; wide-spread nerve gas (accompanied by darkly hilarious raspberry and drooling noises as everyone caught in it spasmed and fell over dead), wide-spread noisemaker, and smoke bombs.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I loved little things like this in AC4 too :allears:. "For all these reasons we have to PASS on Ezio".