Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I've mixed thoughts concerning SR2-4. Each one is beautiful in its own way, and I can't decide which one I like best, so I usually decide one which ever one I played last.

We can all agree that Gat Out of Hell was a disappointment though. Oh boy, more tedious diversions, now with obnoxious flight mechanics! None of those silly "missions" to worry about! And a Disney song that they spoiled in the loving trailer! The only thing that saves it is Daniel Dae Kim's amazing voice work. "Aah! Ow! gently caress you, lava!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've mixed thoughts concerning SR2-4. Each one is beautiful in its own way, and I can't decide which one I like best, so I usually decide one which ever one I played last.

We can all agree that Gat Out of Hell was a disappointment though. Oh boy, more tedious diversions, now with obnoxious flight mechanics! None of those silly "missions" to worry about! And a Disney song that they spoiled in the loving trailer! The only thing that saves it is Daniel Dae Kim's amazing voice work. "Aah! Ow! gently caress you, lava!"

I really liked Gat Out Of Hell actually, I plan on replaying it as Kinzie. You have to blitz your way through it though, it does definitely feel more like DLC than a full game.

All I want for Christmas is a new port of SR1. Say what you want but I love that one too. :smith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Those same people tend to be the ones who go nuts for SR2 as the pinnacle of the series, despite it being so successful partly because they were able to recycle Stillwater in its entirety. :v:

SR2 had a ton of content though and the story was pretty good while remaining over the top, SR3 had missions disguised as activities and tried to be a bit to dramatic at the end while keeping its SR charm and it just fell short.

SR4 was a nice return to insanity.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

CitizenKain posted:

Back when that came out, I went with magic, and my roommate went with tech. After a couple of hours of time, he was digging through every trashcan in the main city looking for items to make bullets, he was constantly broke and struggled on most fights. My magic character on the other hand ran roughshod over every encounter in the game. I used summon magic initially, as one of the early spells in the tree summoned 2 ogre characters that could tank anything and did pretty huge damage. They fixed that in a patch, but by that time I had found the most overpowered spell in the game, a early tier magic spell that made an enemy drop their weapon. It almost always worked, and most enemies didn't have the AI to pick the weapon back up, so they'd run up and try to punch me. If they didn't have a weapon, there was still all the other spells and abilities.
Meanwhile, my roommate got a lovely spider bot to summon that lasted maybe a round of combat, cost materials to use and had to rely on guns. I don't think he ever finished it as tech.

Game had a nice soundtrack though.

Yeah tech was huge horseshit. I'm a chemical engineer so I went straight chemistry, which gets you TNT, which can remove two obstructions in the entire game before the plot would normally remove them and nothing else. I switched to physics and got an electric cane that did okay damage and an electric top hat for some reason. My pants also were electric. Half my party couldn't cast their drat spells because my tech hosed up their poo poo. Tech was a huge goddamn trap. I don't remember how it ended so I assume I never finished it either.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Alteisen posted:

SR2 had a ton of content though and the story was pretty good while remaining over the top, SR3 had missions disguised as activities and tried to be a bit to dramatic at the end while keeping its SR charm and it just fell short.

"Puckish rogue"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Alteisen posted:

2 was a slightly wacky game where the joke was that the boss was trying to be a serious gang leader while everyone around them was nuts. 4 was a completely bonkers game where the joke was the boss wanted to have more fun than anyone else, even when the scene was trying to be super-serious. 3 was... sorta not quite either.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Back when that came out, I went with magic, and my roommate went with tech. After a couple of hours of time, he was digging through every trashcan in the main city looking for items to make bullets, he was constantly broke and struggled on most fights. My magic character on the other hand ran roughshod over every encounter in the game. I used summon magic initially, as one of the early spells in the tree summoned 2 ogre characters that could tank anything and did pretty huge damage. They fixed that in a patch, but by that time I had found the most overpowered spell in the game, a early tier magic spell that made an enemy drop their weapon. It almost always worked, and most enemies didn't have the AI to pick the weapon back up, so they'd run up and try to punch me. If they didn't have a weapon, there was still all the other spells and abilities.
Meanwhile, my roommate got a lovely spider bot to summon that lasted maybe a round of combat, cost materials to use and had to rely on guns. I don't think he ever finished it as tech.

Game had a nice soundtrack though.

Nah dog the real most powerful spell in the game is Disintegrate. It one hit kills anything in the game. Nothing is immune to it. It is literally just an "end combat" button.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Playing more Xenoblade Chronicles. Still a great game, but something else kinda bugs me.

Shulk's AI is incompetent.

I went up in a fight against the Telethia. The Telethia is a monster that can read your mind, so a very large portion of your attacks against it are going to miss until Shulk dispels the Telethia's aura with Purge. I went into the fight with Riki as my controlled party member, wanting to get a better feel for his combat style and level up his affinity more with the other party members. It took about ten minutes roughly to get the Telethia down to half health because Shulk refused to use Purge ever. Once the Telethia hit half health, a cutscene triggers and then the fight starts over again with it having full health. Shulk continued to completely refuse to use Purge, and this is a game where you can't switch characters mid-battle. I couldn't get him to use Purge during chain attacks because his Monado arts weren't charged yet. I had to wait until a vision triggered at some point in a battle, waddle over to Shulk, and waste the opportunity to avoid the incoming attack just to get Shulk to use Purge. The Telethia melted like butter because I was actually a higher level than it so now that I could actually hit it the battle was a non-issue. It was a pretty bad battle.

also I'm getting tired of fetch quests where the items you need are just things that are "randomly pick this up in the area" because I made a full loop of the Satorl Marsh looking for feather leaves and found one of four because I just wasn't lucky enough gently caress that

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

poptart_fairy posted:

Those same people tend to be the ones who go nuts for SR2 as the pinnacle of the series, despite it being so successful partly because they were able to recycle Stillwater in its entirety. :v:
Reusing Stilwater was fine because Stilwater is great. It's not such an issue in SR4, but SR3 really suffers from the city being so bland and samey all over. If SR3 had been set in Stilwater, it would have been way better.

Screaming Idiot posted:

We can all agree that Gat Out of Hell was a disappointment though.
Absolutely not. Aside from being quite short, GOoH is probably the best game in the series (depending on how forgiving you are of SR2's faults). It's definitely better than 1, 3 or 4. Flying is super fun, the weapons and powers are awesome (and way more balanced than they were in the previous two games), and all the missions and activities are fun. When attempting to replay 3 or 4 I get up to a certain point where some tedious, un-fun mission makes me give up. There were a lot of things in those games that worked the first time but are a real pain to repeat (and each one has at least one mission that was a real pain to do the first time). GOoH isn't perfect, but it's really good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

And a Disney song that they spoiled in the loving trailer!
That's a thing with Saints Row marketing in general. They pick the most exciting thing that happens in the game and put it front and center of the trailers. SR3 had the helicarrier that ends up appearing in a single mission and only if you made the "right" choice, SR4 did it with Johnny's return (to be fair, only after it was leaked, but boy there has got to be a better way to deal with that), Gat out of Hell did the song.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm not sure what it is exactly, but because SR2's Stillwater was partially reused, and partially redesigned, and totally well polished, it made it all feel so goddamned good all over the place. A lot of the areas were distinct, so you could easily kind of just know where you're going or where you are based on the city around you. Steelport wasn't, and as such it just felt very... meh.

Also I feel SR2's Boss was less of a "serious gang leader" and more "basically the a person who would do anything the PC could think of having them do."It was especially good because GTAIV had just come out with SERIOUS PROTAGONIST NICO BELLIC (who goes bowling with his cousin), and then SR2 starts with you breaking out jail before breaking into a courtroom to rescue Aggressive Dude From First Game. And that's just part of the ride up the first hill of Crazy poo poo The Boss Does.

I think SR2 is the best of the series, but SRIV isn't far behind. SR1 is actually fun, but just kind of bland, and SR3 has the problem of being full of a lot of uncompelling characters, though it has some fantastic set piece levels and some great missions. If they could've reused Stillwater AGAIN it probably would've featured a lot less of the Activities As Missions, but I'm not sure if Stillwater wouldn't have become stale. All of the games have had pretty fun coops though, so there's that.

I also miss the customization from SR2 the most, though. The more animated, physics affected outfits are neat, but I loved the whacked out levels of customization you had in SR2.

I'll also never understand the way people complain about the respect meter thing because while it was unnecessary, I personally never found myself going MAN I NEED TO GO DO ACTIVITIES :argh: because they were all fun and I tended to do them before doing missions, because while they're fun, they don't involve spraying the town in liquid poo poo, or pretending to be cops to commit acts of police brutality to drive up the ratings of not-COPS. Which is the best take on performing vigilante justice since Vice City let you do so from the comfort of your own Apache.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dewgy posted:

I really liked Gat Out Of Hell actually, I plan on replaying it as Kinzie. You have to blitz your way through it though, it does definitely feel more like DLC than a full game.

All I want for Christmas is a new port of SR1. Say what you want but I love that one too. :smith:

Everything I've heard of it suggests it's a crappy gta-like and Saints Row 2 is where the series found it's footing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Everything I've heard of it suggests it's a crappy gta-like and Saints Row 2 is where the series found it's footing.

It kind of is, but it's pretty fun and has keith david and michael clarke duncan in it, and it also introduces some of the characters in SR2 who are actually recurring characters but a lot of people missed out on that because not a lot of people played SR1. It's a fun game, but you may find yourself totally unable to play it because SR2 is so much better, on so many levels.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its pretty crazy just how big of an increase in quality going from SR1 to SR2 was.

Thing dragging SR1 down: Playing SR2.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alaois posted:

know what, I've actually got something to post for once.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. I don't know which is sadder or more plausible, that the developers tried to balance the Tech and Magic paths, and failed completely and utterly, or that they didn't even try and knew full well that Magic was better in every conceivable fashion compared to Tech.

It kills me to admit this, because I was deeply involved in the community during the development, I won contests, chatted with the devs, my username is on a tombstone in a hidden graveyard in the game, all that stuff. Somewhere I still have the swag package I won, including a t-shirt, cloth world map and a printed copy of The Tarantian signed by the development team (including Tim Cain himself).

But I agree, Arcanum as originally released and with the official patches is horribly unbalanced in favor of Magick. They wanted to do so much with the game, but all kinds of factors worked against them, including executive meddling and endless delays, and to be honest probably over-ambition.

Luckily, Terra-Arcanum.com is still up, and has a download section with unofficial patches and some mods to rebalance the game. I can't quite remember which combination I preferred, but they're all there to experiment with: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/

I wish someone would pick up the ideas and make a properly realized full-scale all-out tech vs magic RPG, but I'm afraid that (steam)boat has sailed, especially since steampunk is old hat by now.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Aug 14, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm going to be the weirdo who says I like SR3 more than 4. I'll agree that most of 4 is way better, but I like driving around and in 4 there's just no reason to and the fact that they replaced all enemy factions with the one alien faction with really annoying enemies made it really not fun to do crazy stuff around town. Especially since even if you do get some kind of rampage going on, inevitably it comes to an end and you have to fight one of those copy+paste mini bosses again. Progression in 4 was all kinds of messed up too, in like an hour or two you can get infinite running and all kinds of upgrades that make most weapons redundant.

Anyway, I've been playing Way of the Samurai 4 recently and it's tons of fun but there's a few annoyances. Like the difficulty options where easy is basically you one shot everyone. Or normal where everyone kills you in three hits. There's two harder difficulties too but I can only imagine what those are. Unlocking half the stuff in the game without a guide is crazy too. Like to unlock a bunch of stuff you have to "night crawl" the major male NPCs, and to do that you have to have one specific fighting style. Which you can only get by having a high ranked dojo filled with 20 female NPCs and beating one specific guy who shows up and may or may not drop it when you fight him. :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'm going to be the weirdo who says I like SR3 more than 4. I'll agree that most of 4 is way better, but I like driving around and in 4 there's just no reason to and the fact that they replaced all enemy factions with the one alien faction with really annoying enemies made it really not fun to do crazy stuff around town. Especially since even if you do get some kind of rampage going on, inevitably it comes to an end and you have to fight one of those copy+paste mini bosses again. Progression in 4 was all kinds of messed up too, in like an hour or two you can get infinite running and all kinds of upgrades that make most weapons redundant.

Wardens are a major problem with SR4, and a lot of the enemies are pretty poo poo, but I'll never understand the complaint about not getting to drive. You can drive any time you want, it's fun, I did tons of driving in that game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Yeah thats true, 50 faith is specially a ng+ goal if you want the sunlight spear. It's a shame str/faith builds aren't more viable, that woghammer (Grant, right) you get from the paladin is great. It really is a shame that the split damage types are as useless as they are, some really cool weapons for faith are totally pointless because of it.

(Luckily demons souls is great for str/faith builds)
Don't beat yourself down, I made a char in Dark Souls just because I like Faith, I like clubs, I beelined for Grant and put point after point into STR and FTH, cosplayed as the paladin fucker...and realized that Grant is loving terrible. It's not in any way better than most other clubs but needs twice the requirements, it's WoG takes too long to cast (compared to, you know, casting WoG with a talisman) and repairing all the time sucks in DS1, and it's weirdly short for a fuckoff club. Don't use Grant.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

also I'm getting tired of fetch quests where the items you need are just things that are "randomly pick this up in the area" because I made a full loop of the Satorl Marsh looking for feather leaves and found one of four because I just wasn't lucky enough gently caress that

Just ignore them if they seem cumbersome. The only real reason to do the trash-quests is to avoid falling below the arbitrary "you're too low a level so have fun doing literally 1 damage" limit they put into the game. If you're chaining your red abilities correctly then you should have no issue beating neither bosses nor enemies at that part of the game. Levels and gear are largely superfluous.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Wardens are a major problem with SR4, and a lot of the enemies are pretty poo poo, but I'll never understand the complaint about not getting to drive. You can drive any time you want, it's fun, I did tons of driving in that game.

A lot of people won't do something if there's a faster and cheaper option literally a button press away.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Simply Simon posted:

Don't beat yourself down, I made a char in Dark Souls just because I like Faith, I like clubs, I beelined for Grant and put point after point into STR and FTH, cosplayed as the paladin fucker...and realized that Grant is loving terrible. It's not in any way better than most other clubs but needs twice the requirements, it's WoG takes too long to cast (compared to, you know, casting WoG with a talisman) and repairing all the time sucks in DS1, and it's weirdly short for a fuckoff club. Don't use Grant.

Dark Souls weapons always seem to have a good use somewhere in there, although I can't speak for Grant. My first Dark Souls 1 character was a Sorceror, and I spent most of the game using the Moonlight Butterfly Horn as a secondary weapon, which is widely considered one of the shittier weapons; it was actually perfect for the sort of playstyle I had going.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

Just ignore them if they seem cumbersome. The only real reason to do the trash-quests is to avoid falling below the arbitrary "you're too low a level so have fun doing literally 1 damage" limit they put into the game. If you're chaining your red abilities correctly then you should have no issue beating neither bosses nor enemies at that part of the game. Levels and gear are largely superfluous.

I'm under the impression that doing quests from people with Actual Names and not stuff like "Colony 9 Resident" are the quests that raise affinity with the area the most, and having higher affinity unlocks more sidequests to do. I could be wrong, that's just how I had it explained to me and I'm trying not to look up too much stuff about the game.

As boring as I find this particular quest, if it's technically gating me from other more interesting sidequests then I'd like to get it done at least eventually.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

I'm under the impression that doing quests from people with Actual Names and not stuff like "Colony 9 Resident" are the quests that raise affinity with the area the most, and having higher affinity unlocks more sidequests to do. I could be wrong, that's just how I had it explained to me and I'm trying not to look up too much stuff about the game.

As boring as I find this particular quest, if it's technically gating me from other more interesting sidequests then I'd like to get it done at least eventually.

No, you're right, the quests given by named people are more important to do. A few quests are given by generics that give substantial affinity bonuses too. The secret to doing fetch quests is looking up the materials you need for them and just figuring out who you can trade for them because you can trade for a huge chunk of materials in the game. Unless you absolutely cannot trade for materials you need for a quest, you never have to run around for item orbs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Do not try to do every single sidequest as soon as they appear, you will burn out eventually.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cleretic posted:

Dark Souls weapons always seem to have a good use somewhere in there, although I can't speak for Grant. My first Dark Souls 1 character was a Sorceror, and I spent most of the game using the Moonlight Butterfly Horn as a secondary weapon, which is widely considered one of the shittier weapons; it was actually perfect for the sort of playstyle I had going.

That weapon is actually considered one of the really really good ones for an Intelligence-focused build, which most sorcerers are. :v:

But mainly my approach to Souls games is to just do whatever the hell seems to be working best and not worry much about the details.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SpookyLizard posted:

It kind of is, but it's pretty fun and has keith david and michael clarke duncan in it, and it also introduces some of the characters in SR2 who are actually recurring characters but a lot of people missed out on that because not a lot of people played SR1. It's a fun game, but you may find yourself totally unable to play it because SR2 is so much better, on so many levels.

SR1 was good enough to get a fair amount of "whoa hey this lovely-looking 'gangsta' game is actually pretty good" press at the time, but that's mostly because the PS2 GTA games were so rough and their clones so dire that things like using a weapon wheel to select your weapon and having a basic third-person shooter control scheme instead of a lock-on system and actual physics and ragdolls was mind-blowing.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

RareAcumen posted:

Do not try to do every single sidequest as soon as they appear, you will burn out eventually.

Listen to this. I didn't even get through half the game before I was burned out and over leveled for anything to be fun anymore.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tiggum posted:

Reusing Stilwater was fine because Stilwater is great.

Alteisen posted:

SR2 had a ton of content though and the story was pretty good while remaining over the top,

Stillwater was great precisely because it got reused and they could spend time expanding it over the first game. That's my point.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Plus, the changes between SR1 and SR2 Stilwater were meaningful in expressing the narrative of SR2. It got across that the Boss was locked away for a long time, it told you the motivations of the villains, and made you feel frustrated that the few places you have sentiment for were gone and that you felt like a small man in a large world. The move to Steelport had little bearing on the plot; other than creating a half-assed solution the old Metroid problem of "how do we de-power the player in a way justified by the narrative".

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

umalt posted:

Plus, the changes between SR1 and SR2 Stilwater were meaningful in expressing the narrative of SR2. It got across that the Boss was locked away for a long time, it told you the motivations of the villains, and made you feel frustrated that the few places you have sentiment for were gone and that you felt like a small man in a large world. The move to Steelport had little bearing on the plot; other than creating a half-assed solution the old Metroid problem of "how do we de-power the player in a way justified by the narrative".

...and introducing entirely new antagonists, both in gangs and in military opposition, without belittling or ignoring the successes of the first game's triumphant resolution. It also added in new content all over the place as being specific to Steelport, still managed to have a variety of areas (albeit not as varied in SR2 by aesthetic alone) and gave you a real, tangible view of progress as you took over those new areas.

SR3 had weaker characters insofar as Shaundi changing entirely. Other than her it added a bunch of new people on the cast that stayed relevant through SR4, and were fleshed out in their own ways without killing off a lot of them. All without making you go through Stillwater, again, to revisit the same areas from 2 with token changes, which is really all they could have done since you singlehandedly destroyed the conglomerate which gentrified Stillwater in the first place.

SR3 beautifully handled the logical transition required after 2. It gets way more flak than it deserves, given that. Plus it made so many mechanics much, much better.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

death .cab for qt posted:

SR3 had weaker characters insofar as Shaundi changing entirely. Other than her it added a bunch of new people on the cast that stayed relevant through SR4, and were fleshed out in their own ways without killing off a lot of them.

So, Kinzie and Matt? Because literally everyone else is dead.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SR3 had weaker characters insofar as Shaundi changing entirely.

To be fair the production of SR3 was basically one giant clusterfuck because THQ was falling apart and they were losing resources while getting more and more demands from higher-ups hoping that SR3 would be the breakout hit that would save their company. I'm pretty sure the complete absence of drug stuff in SR3 compared to 1 and 2 and the change in Shaundi's personality that came with that were both executive meddling in the name of marketing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

Playing more Xenoblade Chronicles. Still a great game, but something else kinda bugs me.

Shulk's AI is incompetent.

The party AI in general is kinda weak and just spams most of its equipped attacks. It's just more noticeable with Shulk because it just does not like using monado abilities for whatever reason and prioritizes his normal skills.

EDIT: /\ THQ forced massive changes on the game to make it less dark (for example, Gat's death was supposed to be far more graphic and Stillwater was supposed to be completely destroyed early on by Killbane using a dirty nuke which would've explained Shaundi's bitter personality much better.)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I don't like SR3 that much because the story felt like a total mess. I spent about half the story thinking we were trying to save Johnny. Since all three gangs were essentially working together, the story felt like it was three gangs pushing and shoving over each other vying for attention rather than three separate, detailed stories. The bad ending is the only ending that felt like a "real" ending since it's the only one where the Daedalus actually shows up which is kind of a big deal, but all of it hinges on hoping the player actually thinks killing Killbane is most important thing which I never really felt like it was.

I'm probably just biased though because I think SR2 is the gold standard for open world games and easily one of the best games ever made.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they had to tone down the grimdark poo poo because that was always the worst part of the SR series. Saint's Row isn't a serious series so trying to do serious story bits just come off as stupid. Thankfully the devs seem to have realized this as they went in the opposite direction with 4. Yeah 4 has the complete destruction of the Earth but they don't dwell on it or play it as melodrama.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I don't like SR3 that much because the story felt like a total mess. I spent about half the story thinking we were trying to save Johnny. Since all three gangs were essentially working together, the story felt like it was three gangs pushing and shoving over each other vying for attention rather than three separate, detailed stories.

Sounds like Arkham City.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
SR4 is seriously the gaming equivalent of Airplane! in terms of both tone and presentation.

I didn't particularly like Gat out of hell though, I felt like they needed significantly more story content than they presented, and the events were pretty eh. They seriously need new and better events, or to bring back to septic avenger missions for future installments.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sardonik posted:

SR4 is seriously the gaming equivalent of Airplane! in terms of both tone and presentation.

I didn't particularly like Gat out of hell though, I felt like they needed significantly more story content than they presented, and the events were pretty eh. They seriously need new and better events, or to bring back to septic avenger missions for future installments.

Airplane! is deadpan serious the entire time, which is 99% why it's the funniest movie ever.
SR4 is also very funny but it kinda feels like it's constantly elbowing your ribs going eh, eh?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SR3 had weaker characters insofar as Shaundi changing entirely. Other than her it added a bunch of new people on the cast that stayed relevant through SR4, and were fleshed out in their own ways without killing off a lot of them.

Most of the new characters were poo poo, and even Kinzie and Matt aren't even that good until SR4. Oleg was OK, I guess, but Angel was pointless and Zimos was awful. Killbane was pretty lame as a main villain and the army dude (whose name I don't recall) was pretty bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

SR3 was a huge let down with a boring city, worse teammates, and a neutered customization system. I still played the hell out of it.

SR4 was fun to play but I hated that the only useful teammate was Kinzie cuz I think she's really annoying.